The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #12121 of 12968 Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I should note that I use those settings for all viewing, except that I do have different settings for 24fps Blu-Ray viewing on my PS3, to avoid the 50vs table and "Movie Mode blue drop" issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 12968 Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that may be true of the digital tuner (input A) but i'll be surprised (pleasantly, of course) if the analog tuner (input B) accepts all these formats.

what about the connectors..... do you happen to know the connector types for the rf inputs: type F like in USA??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeterr View Post

nah...i'm not so sure, that would be an issue.

the panel accepts PAL, SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, PAL60, HD

anyway, i dont think there would be any difference between
a panel bought in the US or in the EU. probably NEC panels.

post #12123 of 12968 Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why is the User video mode so much less saturated than Game mode? Even if I have the color set on +7 with User its still noticeabley less saturated than Game mode at Color 0. (Pio 5080).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 12968 Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I just noticed that my 5080 is showing a black border, about 2-inches thick around the entire screen. It only occurs for my PC input, connected by HDMI-> DVI.
The input display still shows up in the top right corner, and other inputs show up fine, but the computer input is compressed by that 2-inch border.
Display is the same for standard, user, full, wide, etc. and even shrunk to 4:3 the border shows up inside the grey sidebars. Any ideas what could be causing this/how to fix it?

Couldnt find mention of the issue with a quick search. Thanks for any help!
post #12125 of 12968 Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serratus View Post

Hi all. I just noticed that my 5080 is showing a black border, about 2-inches thick around the entire screen. It only occurs for my PC input, connected by HDMI-> DVI.
The input display still shows up in the top right corner, and other inputs show up fine, but the computer input is compressed by that 2-inch border.
Display is the same for standard, user, full, wide, etc. and even shrunk to 4:3 the border shows up inside the grey sidebars. Any ideas what could be causing this/how to fix it?

Couldnt find mention of the issue with a quick search. Thanks for any help!

What resolution is your video card set to output? If it has a 1360x768 (Wide XGA) option (or something close), use it. Mine works fine with that, although I use the PC input, which is analog. And, of course, the HDMI input you are using should be set for PC, not Video.
post #12126 of 12968 Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Why is the User video mode so much less saturated than Game mode? Even if I have the color set on +7 with User its still noticeabley less saturated than Game mode at Color 0. (Pio 5080).

The various modes all have their own characteristics. User is intended to look natural, while Game is saturated to a level deemed appropriate for games.
post #12127 of 12968 Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Macfan. video card is nvidia 8800gt, run in dual-view, so my monitor has one resolution and the 5080 has another (1360x768). input is set to PC. Its been fine for ~6 months, then all of a sudden this problem showed up... strange.
post #12128 of 12968 Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serratus View Post

Thanks for the suggestions Macfan. video card is nvidia 8800gt, run in dual-view, so my monitor has one resolution and the 5080 has another (1360x768). input is set to PC. Its been fine for ~6 months, then all of a sudden this problem showed up... strange.

Strange, indeed. I run two monitors at different resolutions off my main computer without a problem, and have no idea why yours would suddenly change like that. I assume you've tried all the normal trouble shooting routines (resetting the output resolution, trying a different input, etc.). Sorry I can't be of any help.
post #12129 of 12968 Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM

I had my Pioneer PDP-5010 ISF calibrated last week by Mark Kaye. I live in Ottawa, Canada and have found it difficult to find ISF calibrators here. Mark operates in the Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec region. He was extremely knowledgeable in every aspect of his job. He was very pleasant and explained everything he was doing. He spent more than 4 hours at my home. His equipment was high quality and the results were very accurate. It was worth every cent!

It is absolutely amazing the difference calibration makes with Blu-ray movies and my HD Cable box. The colours look very natural and detail in dark scenes like in Batman and Hellboy II are astounding. The Kuro’s black levels are amazing out of the box, but wait till you see what it looks like dialed in. All I can say is WOW!!

I had used D-Nices offsets and was very pleased with the results, but I knew that they weren’t perfect because every TV that comes out of the factory is different. No two TV’s are the same. Some one in this thread said that to buy a very expensive TV and then not spend the few hundred dollars to get it calibrated properly just doesn’t make sense. I couldn’t agree more. All you tweekers out there... you won’t be satisfied till you get it set up professionally. I spent the better part of a year messing around in the service menu and the user menu trying to get it right. Well I’m finally satisfied now. If I added up the cost of test pattern disc’s and all my labour, it would be much more than the cost of calibration. I’m now going to sit back and enjoy my movies all over again.

Oh, by the way the attached pre/post Colorfacts file is done in Movie Mode. This is Mark’s webpage for services offered. www.avfusion.ca

Thanks Mark, D-Nice and htwaits. You guys provide an invaluable service.

Pioneer PDP 5010 Movie Mode Calibration Report.pdf 32.419921875k . file

Pioneer PDP 5010 Gamma Curve.pdf 31.150390625k . file
LL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer PDP 5010 Gamma Curve.pdf (31.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf Pioneer PDP 5010 Movie Mode Calibration Report.pdf (32.4 KB, 114 views)
post #12130 of 12968 Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock1 View Post

I had used D-Nices offsets and was very pleased with the results, but I knew that they weren't perfect because every TV that comes out of the factory is different. No two TV's are the same.

Yea I actually had semi-bad results using d-nice's 5080 RGB offsets, skin tones wernt so red anymore but it caused a faint green tint to overpower the screen, Im sure this is due to each TV being differant.
post #12131 of 12968 Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Strange, indeed. I run two monitors at different resolutions off my main computer without a problem, and have no idea why yours would suddenly change like that. I assume you've tried all the normal trouble shooting routines (resetting the output resolution, trying a different input, etc.). Sorry I can't be of any help.

Thanks for the help regardless, it was good to make sure i had my bases covered. Anyway, the problem sorted it self out. I simply installed the latest Nvidia driver, and i'm back to full-screen viewing pleasure.
post #12132 of 12968 Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock1 View Post

I had my Pioneer PDP-5010 ISF calibrated last week by Mark Kaye. I live in Ottawa, Canada and have found it difficult to find ISF calibrators here. Mark operates in the Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec region.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #12133 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM

I have a PDP 5080. Anyone having issues with the TV Guide? I am able to scan properly, but the channel listing does not populate. I can change channels fine, but I can't use the guide, it says TV Guide On Screen is collecting lineup and program information please check again later.

the Progress section says
search for time: check
search for stations with data: check
search for channel lineup: in progress
next listing transmission: 3/21, 11:41am

It said next listing transmission 3/21, 2:31am last night, and nothing populated this morning..

any ideas?

thanks!
post #12134 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 PM

I just got the 5010fd, and I am running the break in dvd. My problem is I am noticing horizontal lines that are off shade that show up regardless of what color is flashing. Its more noticeable in lighter shades, and also shows up during certain movie scenes. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #12135 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Are you scanning OTA or QAM? I use the QAM tuner and the listings never updated. I asked the cable company and they said they don't send TV Guide data.
post #12136 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaGuy84 View Post

I just got the 5010fd, and I am running the break in dvd. My problem is I am noticing horizontal lines that are off shade that show up regardless of what color is flashing. Its more noticeable in lighter shades, and also shows up during certain movie scenes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you mean this? I posted this recently in the other 8G thread:

A small rant
So I decide to watch "The Mist" on DVD the other night. If you've seen it, you know there are a lot of scenes of the mist, mostly a totally greyish/white screen. Anyway, when they walk outside of the grocery store for the first time into the mist, there, smacking me square in the face, is the dreaded streaking issue that has been discussed ad nauseum. Unfortunately with this movie, and the "mist" being almost a character in itself, the streaking reveals itself everytime there is prevelant mist. The good news is that unless you have a mostly all white scene showing, you don't really notice it, but fade to white, or have a white scene like this mist or snow, and bam, it really grabs you. You would think with as much technology as there is in these sets from Pioneer, and as "state of the art" and award winning as they are, that Pioneer could get something right like a coating on the screen. You know, thats an analog process in a digital world. How hard is it to uniformly coat a surface? The cause of this has been debated, but I am firmly in the camp that it is the screen coating. I have played various sources to expose this and the streaking is always exactly the same no matter what is revealing the effect ......... definitely leads me to believe it is the screen coating. Oh well, still love the TV otherwise, but felt the need to express my disappointment with this one flaw. At least I don't buzz!

John

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
post #12137 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

Do you mean this? I posted this recently in the other 8G thread:

A small rant
So I decide to watch "The Mist" on DVD the other night. If you've seen it, you know there are a lot of scenes of the mist, mostly a totally greyish/white screen. Anyway, when they walk outside of the grocery store for the first time into the mist, there, smacking me square in the face, is the dreaded streaking issue that has been discussed ad nauseum. Unfortunately with this movie, and the "mist" being almost a character in itself, the streaking reveals itself everytime there is prevelant mist. The good news is that unless you have a mostly all white scene showing, you don't really notice it, but fade to white, or have a white scene like this mist or snow, and bam, it really grabs you. You would think with as much technology as there is in these sets from Pioneer, and as "state of the art" and award winning as they are, that Pioneer could get something right like a coating on the screen. You know, thats an analog process in a digital world. How hard is it to uniformly coat a surface? The cause of this has been debated, but I am firmly in the camp that it is the screen coating. I have played various sources to expose this and the streaking is always exactly the same no matter what is revealing the effect ......... definitely leads me to believe it is the screen coating. Oh well, still love the TV otherwise, but felt the need to express my disappointment with this one flaw. At least I don't buzz!

John

Sounds like what I have. Searched streaking and it seems like its luck of the draw? I just returned an lcd because of non-uniformity issues, and now this. Really annoying how none of the reviews for the tv (cnet, sound & vision, etc..) that I read even mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up.
post #12138 of 12968 Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaGuy84 View Post

Sounds like what I have. Searched streaking and it seems like its luck of the draw? I just returned an lcd because of non-uniformity issues, and now this. Really annoying how none of the reviews for the tv (cnet, sound & vision, etc..) that I read even mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up.

I've just learned to live with it. On my set, it basically takes an all white, or close to all white screen to see it, and that is a rare occurance. The movie I referenced, The Mist, is a rare occasion where it showed up more than randomly. In most movies and tv shows, I never notice it. You are correct about reviews not mentioning it. My guess is that they coat the glass in an off state, no power/image showing, hence it looks uniform. Checking the screen out when it is off shows no signs of streaking, it takes the white or solid color image to see it. The other issue with these plasmas, the tv buzzing, is also luck of the draw. Mine is nice and quiet.

John

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
post #12139 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

is this the first time you are setting up the guide?

if you had the guide before and it went away (showing "no listing"...don't panic.....yet. i have 3 devices with TVGOS and they all have expeienced loss of guides in the last one month; the worst is the 5080.

the guide comes back, but sometimes it takes upto 3 days.

if you never the guide before, what is your set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksolid View Post

I have a PDP 5080. Anyone having issues with the TV Guide? I am able to scan properly, but the channel listing does not populate. I can change channels fine, but I can't use the guide, it says TV Guide On Screen is collecting lineup and program information please check again later.

the Progress section says
search for time: check
search for stations with data: check
search for channel lineup: in progress
next listing transmission: 3/21, 11:41am

It said next listing transmission 3/21, 2:31am last night, and nothing populated this morning..

any ideas?

thanks!

post #12140 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Good afternoon. I tried to send d-nice this question via PM but got no responce as yet so maybe I can ask it here. Between these two sets what is your opinion how they might compare out of the box and how they might compare with pro calibration? Thank you
post #12141 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmadpad View Post

Good afternoon. I tried to send d-nice this question via PM but got no responce as yet so maybe I can ask it here. Between these two sets what is your opinion how they might compare out of the box and how they might compare with pro calibration? Thank you

This is the 8G settings thread. You need to go to the 9G thread as the 6020 is a 9G model.

However, since this is a Pioneer thread (and most of us are Pioneer owners) you will get the Pioneer is "better".

"Out of the box" no real judgements should be made on either panel until after break in (I did not believe that a "break in" made a difference and now with my 2 8Gs and installing several Panny's now am a "believer" in the process).

Post break in and any professional calibration, the Pioneer will be the hands down winner in PQ - no question. Doesn't mean the Panny will be "bad" by no means but won't compare to what the 9Gs can do.

I believe D-Nice is now doing calibrations professionally and bet he is very swamped.....
post #12142 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmadpad View Post

Do you have any doubt about which D-Nice would pick?

There are a ton of these comparisons around if you Google, but if you want to address it again on this forum, you'll probably get better results if you try the 9G thread. That's where the 6020 owners hang out.

Edit: While I was finding the link, I see that Duck05 gave a good answer.
post #12143 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

is this the first time you are setting up the guide?

if you had the guide before and it went away (showing "no listing"...don't panic.....yet. i have 3 devices with TVGOS and they all have expeienced loss of guides in the last one month; the worst is the 5080.

the guide comes back, but sometimes it takes upto 3 days.

if you never the guide before, what is your set up?

thanks for the reply. This isn't the first time, it was working fine for the past year or so. One day, channels were missing from the guide and the "no listing" appeared. So i tried to start from scratch, doing a rescan and re-run the setup. Now I am where I am. I guess I just need to wait? Also, I am scanning OTA not cable or sat. I wonder what is causing this?
post #12144 of 12968 Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

first question, is your OTA on input A or B?

so i don't think there is anything wrong with your panel. th guide on my 70 series pio for solid for 3 years only recently it has gone into the state of "no listing".

the reason is that (as you might know) the data for the guide has been till now sent over the VBI of analog channels, generally a pbs channel. as the broadcasters get ready for the digital transition. they may have discontinued supporting the guide on that channel.

per the company that makes TVGOS, the recent versions of the guide can get from digital channels if supported in your area

the best thing to right now is to restart the guide and wait. if after 3 day you don't get any listings, most likely the data is missing on the analog channels. and if you are not connected to input A (digital), or your OTA cannot pull the digital signals, you have to get a new antenna and try it on input A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksolid View Post

thanks for the reply. This isn't the first time, it was working fine for the past year or so. One day, channels were missing from the guide and the "no listing" appeared. So i tried to start from scratch, doing a rescan and re-run the setup. Now I am where I am. I guess I just need to wait? Also, I am scanning OTA not cable or sat. I wonder what is causing this?

post #12145 of 12968 Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM

HELP! last night I decided to calibrate my hdmi input on my 5080.after I exited the sm I rechecked my work as I always do and found that I did not keep my work;I went back in but when I checked it in sm it was right as it was.WHAT GIVES
post #12146 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Make sure your doing your tweeks in the right table. A 1080p 24fps signal will get you into the 60vs table and a 1080i/720p signal will have you in the 50vs table.

There's another table for the VGA input as well. It's called the TBL4/60ps and it to can be calibrated seperatley, though the lower RGB part of the settings won't do anything to balance the colours or dial in the grey scale. They'll just be left at their default of 512.
post #12147 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 PM

How do you install a cable card in the PDP-5010FD? I have Charter Cable in Long Beach, CA. The cable guy came by last night and when he inserted the card, a window popped up with an error code that says that something was preventing the set from scanning for channels. I have been using cable without a box with no problem, but the tech support said that I would need a box in June when the change to digital occurs even though I have a digital tuner that works fine in my tv and another one that works fine in my HTPC. I called them to order a box for my dad's house( I by passed it three months ago because three boxes in a row went bad) and asked about my situation also.
post #12148 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytrans69 View Post

How do you install a cable card in the PDP-5010FD? I have Charter Cable in Long Beach, CA. The cable guy came by last night and when he inserted the card, a window popped up with an error code that says that something was preventing the set from scanning for channels. I have been using cable without a box with no problem, but the tech support said that I would need a box in June when the change to digital occurs even though I have a digital tuner that works fine in my tv and another one that works fine in my HTPC. I called them to order a box for my dad's house( I by passed it three months ago because three boxes in a row went bad) and asked about my situation also.

That tech is a moron. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable, cable boxes or cable cards.

If you have a cable box it will continue to work. If you decide to cancel cable you will get OTA channels fine because the TV has a built in digital tuner.
post #12149 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM

I have never used a cable box, so I did not think I needed one after the change. Right now all of my source tuners get duplicate channels. I should only lose the analog version of the channels. But will the cable card enable me to receive more channels than I already do? I am not interested in premium channels. My OTA comes in perfect with my Wineguard HD antennae, but of course no sports channels on it.
post #12150 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytrans69 View Post

I have never used a cable box, so I did not think I needed one after the change. Right now all of my source tuners get duplicate channels. I should only lose the analog version of the channels. But will the cable card enable me to receive more channels than I already do? I am not interested in premium channels. My OTA comes in perfect with my Wineguard HD antennae, but of course no sports channels on it.

If you have cable then you won't even lose the analog channels -- the switch is ONLY for analog over the air. Cable companies can continue their analog service for 100 years if they want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page