The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 406 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #12151 of 12968 Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i never had a cable box either but have 2 cablecards, one for over 2 yrs now. the reason is---

----without a cablecard (now or after the digital transition) you will get only a few basic channels like abs, nbs, cbs, fox which are generally available over-the-air. if you want the usual cable channels like espn, history, tbs nick, etc (most of them now available in high-def.) you need either a cable STB or a cablecard.

there is one more piece of the not so well publicized puzzle called SDV (switched digital video). many cable companies will be using this technology to increase available channels. this technology requires two-way multi-stream cable box or cablecard. while such a cablecard has been developed (called the type M card) i have not seen any confirmation that the 8G or 9G pios will work in the SDV environment using type M card.

add: many new tvs, including pio have discontinued the cablecard-slot anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slytrans69 View Post

I have never used a cable box, so I did not think I needed one after the change. Right now all of my source tuners get duplicate channels. I should only lose the analog version of the channels. But will the cable card enable me to receive more channels than I already do? I am not interested in premium channels. My OTA comes in perfect with my Wineguard HD antennae, but of course no sports channels on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 12968 Old 03-28-2009, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi guys. i'm trying to access the service menu to make some adjustment listed, but there is no "DISPLAY" button in my remote ? i have pioneer pdp-508xg and the remote is AXD1554. is this right ?
post #12153 of 12968 Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Updated 4/12/2008

Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Day Settings

Main Menu:
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 40
Brightness: +1
Color: +6
Tint: R1
Sharpness: -15

[Note:
  • Day mode is for daytime viewing (before 4PM) and/or high level of ambient lighting.
  • D55 mode is for old black and white movies that were mastered to this color temperature.

Hi Dnice, did you ever do any ISF for the 150? I am using Controlcalc.

Thanks in advance!

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12154 of 12968 Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GReddy View Post

hi guys. i'm trying to access the service menu to make some adjustment listed, but there is no "DISPLAY" button in my remote ? i have pioneer pdp-508xg and the remote is AXD1554. is this right ?

The various adjustments listed in this thread are for U.S.A. models only. Your 508XG is a South Asian/Australian/NZ model that is quite different from my U.S.A. 5080 version. We don't have any color management tools in the user menus of our displays, so if we want to make our grayscales more accurate, we have to go into the service menu to change our RGB High and Low settings.

Your 508XG, however, does have color management abilities in your user menu - so there's no need for you to go into the service menu to tweak your grayscale. On page 30, your owner's manual tells how to make RGB adjustments to Color Temp, and at page 31 gives you even more adjustability by allowing you to choose between Color Spaces 1 and 2, and to adjust all 6 primary and secondary colors.

So with all those abilities, you can forget about having to play the silly tricks to get the most out of your display that we American non-Elite Kuro owners do.
post #12155 of 12968 Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

The various adjustments listed in this thread are for U.S.A. models only. Your 508XG is a South Asian/Australian/NZ model that is quite different from my U.S.A. 5080 version. We don't have any color management tools in the user menus of our displays, so if we want to make our grayscales more accurate, we have to go into the service menu to change our RGB High and Low settings.

Your 508XG, however, does have color management abilities in your user menu - so there's no need for you to go into the service menu to tweak your grayscale. On page 30, your owner's manual tells how to make RGB adjustments to Color Temp, and at page 31 gives you even more adjustability by allowing you to choose between Color Spaces 1 and 2, and to adjust all 6 primary and secondary colors.

So with all those abilities, you can forget about having to play the silly tricks to get the most out of your display that we American non-Elite Kuro owners do.

ah i c. no wonder none of the adjustment looks right in my eyes. i have tried numerous of them. can you also pls advise if there is/are a/some settings available for my model ? i'm interested to fine tune the image.

appreciate the advice.

thanks.
post #12156 of 12968 Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ah i c. no wonder none of the adjustment looks right in my eyes. i have tried numerous of them. can you also pls advise if there is/are a/some settings available for my model ? i'm interested to fine tune the image.

appreciate the advice.

thanks.

You won't find proper settings for your display on this forum. You might want to join these folks, who seem to focus on display models sold in your part of the world (the link will take you directly to someone's 508XG settings).
post #12157 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock1 View Post

I had my Pioneer PDP-5010 ISF calibrated last week by Mark Kaye. I live in Ottawa, Canada and have found it difficult to find ISF calibrators here. Mark operates in the Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec region. He was extremely knowledgeable in every aspect of his job. He was very pleasant and explained everything he was doing. He spent more than 4 hours at my home. His equipment was high quality and the results were very accurate. It was worth every cent!

It is absolutely amazing the difference calibration makes with Blu-ray movies and my HD Cable box. The colours look very natural and detail in dark scenes like in Batman and Hellboy II are astounding. The Kuro's black levels are amazing out of the box, but wait till you see what it looks like dialed in. All I can say is WOW!!

I had used D-Nices offsets and was very pleased with the results, but I knew that they weren't perfect because every TV that comes out of the factory is different. No two TV's are the same. Some one in this thread said that to buy a very expensive TV and then not spend the few hundred dollars to get it calibrated properly just doesn't make sense. I couldn't agree more. All you tweekers out there... you won't be satisfied till you get it set up professionally. I spent the better part of a year messing around in the service menu and the user menu trying to get it right. Well I'm finally satisfied now. If I added up the cost of test pattern disc's and all my labour, it would be much more than the cost of calibration. I'm now going to sit back and enjoy my movies all over again.

Oh, by the way the attached pre/post Colorfacts file is done in Movie Mode. This is Mark's webpage for services offered. www.avfusion.ca

Thanks Mark, D-Nice and htwaits. You guys provide an invaluable service.

I too was able to have Mark Kaye in to calibrate my 5080 after about a year of trying different settings the folks here have recommended. All gave good results but none floored me. Mark spent last Friday afternoon calibrating and answering all my questions. We tried different modes and settings to see if anything would change the colorspace( none did). We settled on the colorspace that looks exactly like Brock1's.
I spent pretty much the entire weekend watching different movies I had to appreciate the difference Mark had made. I honestly can't say I was "wowed" immediately afterwords, mostly because my 5080 was pretty good before, and my expectations could only be met by buying a 111. That being said, I eventually found myself enjoying the movies more because I was not constantly looking at the picture quality instead of the movie. The best compliment came from my wife who said "the picture has more depth to it".
I would say it was money well spent and would have Mark back again to calibrate any future TV purchases.
post #12158 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Sorry if this has already been asked, but can a 5080HD display at a 120hz refresh rate? I'm wondering if it's possible so I could try out some of the 3D display software that is available for PC's.

Thanks.
post #12159 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore View Post

Sorry if this has already been asked, but can a 5080HD display at a 120hz refresh rate? I'm wondering if it's possible so I could try out some of the 3D display software that is available for PC's.

Thanks.

I don't think so, 72hz is the highest.

Juan

My HT
post #12160 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM

I have a retarded question. When calibrating a tv, you are using a dvd which can be played with an HTPC, laptop, or stand alone player. In the case of an HTPC or a laptop you are using the video card settings as the source. In the case of a stand alone player, you are using the video settings. How can you calibrate the tv for a regular cable, dish, or OTA source? Using a dvd to calibrate will be a setting for playing regular dvd's. If using a Blu Ray player, wouldn't you need a Blu Ray calibration disc? I realize you use the settings on the display to do the calibrating, but how do you determine what settings to use for the source?
post #12161 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have a retarded question. When calibrating a tv, you are using a dvd which can be played with an HTPC, laptop, or stand alone player. In the case of an HTPC or a laptop you are using the video card settings as the source. In the case of a stand alone player, you are using the video settings. How can you calibrate the tv for a regular cable, dish, or OTA source? Using a dvd to calibrate will be a setting for playing regular dvd's. If using a Blu Ray player, wouldn't you need a Blu Ray calibration disc? I realize you use the settings on the display to do the calibrating, but how do you determine what settings to use for the source?

There's really no way to calibrate for OTA, cable, etc, though for the most part you can use other devices to come very close. For example, to calibrate for your HD cable box connected via HDMI, you could use a Blu Ray calibration disc connected via HDMI at the same resolution. Will there be differences? Maybe, but for the most part they should both follow the same standards.

You can use a standard definition DVD to calibrate a Blu Ray player but there are issues that may arise from the slightly different color standards used by standard definition DVD and high definition. Whether those differences matter depends on the type of calibration you're doing. If it's just a grayscale/color temperature calibration, standard def DVD should be fine. It should also be fine for very basic calibration of brightness and contrast.

The PC is a special case -- you absolutely need to calibrate the PC using the PC itself. You can't copy calibration settings that you got using a DVD player as a PC signal is very different. Luckily PC calibration is very easy, as there are many free patterns and programs available.
post #12162 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks chrisherbert. Now it makes perfect sense to use the "user" mode for each input and hook up all sources separately to the display.
post #12163 of 12968 Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hey guys question for you, my 5080 was unplugged for a while and my settings seem to have reset, before i was using the settings d-nice posted in post 6763, did my service menu adjustments reset as well? do I have to set those again?
post #12164 of 12968 Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post

Hey guys question for you, my 5080 was unplugged for a while and my settings seem to have reset, before i was using the settings d-nice posted in post 6763, did my service menu adjustments reset as well? do I have to set those again?

IIRC, there is no way to restore SM settings to their factory values except manually, so I'm quite certain you'll find they didn't change. However, it's not hard to go back in and check. It should be pretty obvious when you restore your user settings, though.
post #12165 of 12968 Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Does the 5010 upconvert signals from an HDMI input? Or must the component input be used in order to deliver native resolution?
post #12166 of 12968 Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Does the 5010 upconvert signals from an HDMI input? Or must the component input be used in order to deliver native resolution?

All fixed pixel displays convert any signal from any input source to their native resolution. So, yes, the 5010 will upconvert signals received via HDMI, and generally does a better job of it than intermediate "upconverters" such as AVR's.
post #12167 of 12968 Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Thank you Macfan424. I needed that. I can now play with the resolutions without changing cables around. Tonight I will find out if the 5010 upconverts as good as my Pioneer DV-400V, which I flashed to the DV-410 Japanese firmware. Right now the DVD's look stunning sending a 1080P signal to the panel. My Pioneer SC-05 A/V does a great job too.
post #12168 of 12968 Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you have a button called "info" try that. Works for us
post #12169 of 12968 Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Updated 11/23/2008

Pioneer Elite 950/1150 Reference Settings

Main Menu:
AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 28
Brightness: 0
Color: +6
Tint: 0

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema

Film Mode: Standard
Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence: Off

Picture Detail:

DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 2

Color Detail:

Color Temp: Manual
R High -4
G High 0
B High +5
R Low -1
G Low +1
B Low -1

CTI: Off

Color Management
R -1
Y +1
G -4
C -1
B 0
M -1

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Off

Orbiter: On

Pioneer Elite 950/1150 D55 Settings

Main Menu:
AV Selection: Movie
Contrast: 33
Brightness: -1
Color: +3
Tint: 0

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema

Film Mode: Standard
Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence: Off

Picture Detail:

DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 3

Color Detail:

R High -2
G High -2
B High -4
R Low 0
G Low +2
B Low 0

CTI: Off

Color Management
R 0
Y +3
G -3
C -1
B 0
M +1

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Off

Orbiter: On

Does anyone know where I kind find the manual temp testings. I test it to manual bit cannot find the high and low options only the color management section.
post #12170 of 12968 Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Once you are highlighted on manual, hold the enter button down for 3 seconds and the screen will open up.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #12171 of 12968 Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello,

First timer here. I have read most of this thread from the beginning (my eyes hurt). I am considering buying a 950HD. It is a store display model (quite heavily discounted of course). The salesman was nice enough to allow me to look into the SM to find the number of hours the panel has on it. 3700 hours. This seems like a lot to me. It also happened to be in DYNAMIC mode, which worries me a bit too.

I was just wondering what kind of usage "normal" people have on their TV in their home. Could some users inform me how many hours on their panels and how long they have owned it?

Any other comments would be welcome.

This place is great source of info. Kudos to all the regular posters.
post #12172 of 12968 Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM

I have a 5010. I am using D-Nice's SM offsets except that High R is set to -3 instead of +3.
My firmware is: -06K
07.00d
04.13d
My factory SM settings are:High R=247
G=256
B=246
Low R=500
G=512
B=236
I had a problem with everyone looking like they had a bad sunburn. Now all is great. I use direct cable on Ant. A and a OTA converter box on Ant. B with a Wineguard roof antennae., My Pioneer DV-400 is flashed to Japanese DV-410 set to 1080P with HDMI. My HTPC has an NTSC, ATSC, QAM my HD 130 tuner with ATI 4550 HDMI video card. My 36" motorized dish uses a Pansat HD box with HDMI. Everything works great. I have no jitter, judder, buzz, blotches, trails, lines, only pixelation from Charter Cable on the digital channels. And the analog local channels on Charter are bad. OTA are perfect because they are digital. The sounds from my Pioneer SC-05 are really good. All non HDMI devices are run through the A/V receiver with HDMI to the panel.
post #12173 of 12968 Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabeakster View Post

I was just wondering what kind of usage "normal" people have on their TV in their home. Could some users inform me how many hours on their panels and how long they have owned it?

5700 hours on my 5080 that I've had for around 15 months. 3700 hours is nothing in terms of the panel's overall life.
post #12174 of 12968 Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM

My 5010 was manufactured 7/8/08 and I purchased it 9/4/08 and it has 987 hours watching.
post #12175 of 12968 Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

i never had a cable box either but have 2 cablecards, one for over 2 yrs now. the reason is---

----without a cablecard (now or after the digital transition) you will get only a few basic channels like abs, nbs, cbs, fox which are generally available over-the-air. if you want the usual cable channels like espn, history, tbs nick, etc (most of them now available in high-def.) you need either a cable STB or a cablecard.

there is one more piece of the not so well publicized puzzle called SDV (switched digital video). many cable companies will be using this technology to increase available channels. this technology requires two-way multi-stream cable box or cablecard. while such a cablecard has been developed (called the type M card) i have not seen any confirmation that the 8G or 9G pios will work in the SDV environment using type M card.

add: many new tvs, including pio have discontinued the cablecard-slot anyway.

SDV finally killed the CableCARD.

Did TiVo ever get their one-way devices w/CableCARDs working as two-way DVRs w/the external USB tuning adapter?
post #12176 of 12968 Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN View Post

Does anyone know where I kind find the manual temp testings. I test it to manual bit cannot find the high and low options only the color management section.

Isn't it in the information you posted/quoted for the settings for the Pioneer Elite 950/1150 Reference Settings above?

The color temp is set to "Manual" and the settings to dial in are stated as in the example below from the reference settings...

Maybe I don't understand your question...

R High -4
G High 0
B High +5
R Low -1
G Low +1
B Low -1
post #12177 of 12968 Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

that is what i was afraid of. we are still operational as our cableco has not yet fully deployed sdv.

re tivo- i have not seen any posts claiming they have a working systems but tivo's website continues to claim that it will work (with sdv) and they have worked out a plan with the cable companies (i.e, cable co will distribute the adapter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

SDV finally killed the CableCARD.

Did TiVo ever get their one-way devices w/CableCARDs working as two-way DVRs w/the external USB tuning adapter?

post #12178 of 12968 Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

re tivo- i have not seen any posts claiming they have a working systems but tivo's website continues to claim that it will work (with sdv) and they have worked out a plan with the cable companies (i.e, cable co will distribute the adapter)

Right, which has been their "spin" for about (2) years now.

People keep buying those TiVo one-way DVRs because there is always hope.
post #12179 of 12968 Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM

just bought used/floor model 5010 from sams club which was heavily discounted. Can anyone tell me how to access service menu to check total hours of used to date? thanks
post #12180 of 12968 Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To find the number of hours. (Thanks for the info above guys)

This took me several tries.

point remote directly at the sensor on TV, with TV OFF

Press Display (wait 6 seconds)

Left arrow
Up arrow
Left arrow
Right arrow
Power

Tv should turn on with Service Menu displayed

scroll through several pages with down arrow, press Home Menu to leave the service menu.

there will be one page with Panel hours, and MTB (or something) that has the hours the TV has been plugged in.

Change nothing in the service menu as you may ruin your new TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page