Panasonic TH-58PE75U - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 553 Old 11-17-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerX View Post

Nice. Can I ask what TV stand you're using in that family room?

It's a custom stand I built from IKEA furniture. I used an expresso color LACK shelf unit and had a custom glass guy make me a set of 2 frosted glass doors. Cost me about $140 total and it looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 553 Old 11-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Anyone else hooked up a PC?
What res?

'When Fascism Comes to This Country, It Will Be Wrapped in the Flag Carrying a Cross'
Sinclair Lewis.
post #63 of 553 Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM

I also have my eye on this beauty as a replacement for a Panasonic TH-50PX60U that I had to leave behind when I recently moved. I've been checking it out at my local Costco in San Diego for the past week. I checked back today and it's still in stock, and the sales guy says they have a ton of them. I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought one about the following: (1) will my viewing distance of 10 feet be OK; and (2) what is the best way to connect to a notebook computer, given that the set lacks a PC input. Also, any pics you guys have of your set in your home would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 553 Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The panasonic website now has information about this model.

The technical specs state it is a 10th generation panel.

My 60u is a 9th generation panel. That seems to be the only difference I can spot.

So for those in the know, what is the difference between a 9th and 10th gen panel?

Thanks.
post #65 of 553 Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM

The main difference with this unit is its ability to show 1080p picture.
It upscales the picture I believe.
Info from the other panny thread.

I sit about 14 feet from the screen and it looks excellent.

My PC is connected from DVI to HDMI output is 1080p and res is 1824 x 1036.
Pics are on the previous page.

'When Fascism Comes to This Country, It Will Be Wrapped in the Flag Carrying a Cross'
Sinclair Lewis.
post #66 of 553 Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I hope that Panasonic releases the 58PX75U. However, looks unlikely. Although the 58PH10UK is an alternative to the PE75U. Although you get the speakers and stands and HDMI card with the PE75U.

Chris
post #67 of 553 Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Anyone play any BDs on this tv yet? Or play any ps3 games? If so how do they look? I think I may buy this on friday but am wondering if the resolution is high enough. Still haven't quite decided. I'm also looking at the 50" 1080p Panasonic. But it'll be about six hundred more. Most ps3 games are 720p anyways so I'm wondering if I'll even notice the difference in resolution. I think the bigger screen may be a more noticeable factor. I wish I could set both of these up in my living room and feed them the same hidef signal while viewing from my normal seating positions.
post #68 of 553 Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I suggest going bigger. I have the 58" 60u, which seems almost identical to this model. I have a PS3 and it looks extraordinary. Unless you are sitting very close, I think you will be pleased with getting a bigger set with 720p resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile-reality View Post

Anyone play any BDs on this tv yet? Or play any ps3 games? If so how do they look? I think I may buy this on friday but am wondering if the resolution is high enough. Still haven't quite decided. I'm also looking at the 50" 1080p Panasonic. But it'll be about six hundred more. Most ps3 games are 720p anyways so I'm wondering if I'll even notice the difference in resolution. I think the bigger screen may be a more noticeable factor. I wish I could set both of these up in my living room and feed them the same hidef signal while viewing from my normal seating positions.

post #69 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM

Ok I broke down and got this 58" monster and I couldnt be happier. Incredible PQ! Is there any professionals and/or regular folks who have this tv calibrated?

I got the Avia 2 dvd and used an old format non hd dvd player and came up with these settings on cinema:
picture +16
bright 0
color +2
tint -3
sharp -4

nr - off
color managment - off
black level - light
mpeg- off
originally set with warm color temp and now normal

the above settings in cinema seemed to dark. So I plugged in the same numbers (am I calibrating right) in "custom" and "vivid" mode. Custom is a little brighter overall and vivid even more brighter for daytime viewing. I have dish hd.

Anyone else have setting?

Thanks in advance!
post #70 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I temporarily hooked up my ps3 and tested a few BD's (5th element, POTC) and played a few games - gorgeous picture. It's subjective though...I personally don't see a large enough improvement between 1080p and 720p to warrant the extra $$$. Every plasma in my house (5 of them) is 720p. Even my FP set up is 720p.
post #71 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM

why not wait for the $500 off coupon on black friday?
post #72 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM

I got the coupon book from Costco last night, I was told it was for 23rd Black Friday.

No Panny coupon.

Is it only certain stores???

Sinclair Lewis.
post #73 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by swdude12 View Post

why not wait for the $500 off coupon on black friday?

Good question. Rumor has it that Costco is NOT price-matching previously purchased items that require a coupon on BF either. You could always re-purchase it on BF and immediately return it unopened with the OLD receipt, but that's assuming you can get one. I imagine they will sell out quickly at these prices.

I'm still considering purchasing one myself, but I think I'll probably go with the commercial 10uk model instead. It's a couple hundred more, but I like the looks of the commercial model better and I have no use for speakers or a stand. I really don't feel like standing in line for 2-4 hours in 20 degree temps Friday morning to get one of these TVs either.
post #74 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiemc View Post

I got the coupon book from Costco last night, I was told it was for 23rd Black Friday.

No Panny coupon.

Is it only certain stores???

No. Look again.
post #75 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

Good question. Rumor has it that Costco is NOT price-matching previously purchased items that require a coupon on BF either. You could always re-purchase it on BF and immediately return it unopened with the OLD receipt, but that's assuming you can get one. I imagine they will sell out quickly at these prices.

I'm still considering purchasing one myself, but I think I'll probably go with the commercial 10uk model instead. It's a couple hundred more, but I like the looks of the commercial model better and I have no use for speakers or a stand. I really don't feel like standing in line for 2-4 hours in 20 degree temps Friday morning to get one of these TVs either.

I bought one last weekend with the plan to go see about getting the credit on Saturday. I figure they can have the TV back if they want it, worst case scenario.

It's for my new house that I close on next month, so unfortunately no review, however I'm starting to think it may be to big, so I might return it and go with a 50PZ750u from EPP instead.
post #76 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGeorge View Post

I bought one last weekend with the plan to go see about getting the credit on Saturday. I figure they can have the TV back if they want it, worst case scenario.

It's for my new house that I close on next month, so unfortunately no review, however I'm starting to think it may be to big, so I might return it and go with a 50PZ750u from EPP instead.

Too big? Why? How close are you?
post #77 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Too big? Why? How close are you?

Right around 10' most likely, it's not that the screen is obstrusive or uncomfortable to watch, I'm just not sure I'll be able to stand watching SD on it.

My thinking right now is that I can get a 1080p for a few hundred more and be just as (if not more) happy with it than with the 58.
post #78 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM

I finally got to see this TV in person yesterday and was very impress on the quality and price.

Hopefully I can get one this Friday and don't miss out on this upcoming special.

Cons
post #79 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Any owners care to comment on buzzing or frame popping or the lack thereof. I am about to return my 50PX75U because the buzzing is driving me nuts and was thinking of stepping up to this bad boy. Only problem is, I have a feeling that the bigger they are the harder they buzz... so to speak. I can hear the buzz on my current set from 10' with the volume around 15 or so especially on white scenes.
post #80 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz924 View Post

Ok I broke down and got this 58" monster and I couldnt be happier. Incredible PQ!

How heavy is the tv? Does the manual say? I thought I remember reading it was somewhere between 140 and 150lbs. But then yesterday I read a post by someone referring to it being about 180lbs. I have a stand that has a maximum load of 135lbs. Its only been three months since I bought it so I don't really want to replace it. If the tv is 180lbs maybe I'll just take my chances. The stand seems pretty solid.
post #81 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons View Post

I finally got to see this TV in person yesterday and was very impress on the quality and price.

Hopefully I can get one this Friday and don't miss out on this upcoming special.

Cons

Had the wife pick up the coupon today, hopefully score one on Friday!
post #82 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How heavy is the tv? Does the manual say? I thought I remember reading it was somewhere between 140 and 150lbs. But then yesterday I read a post by someone referring to it being about 180lbs. I have a stand that has a maximum load of 135lbs. Its only been three months since I bought it so I don't really want to replace it. If the tv is 180lbs maybe I'll just take my chances. The stand seems pretty solid.

123.5 lbs. TV only
130.1 lbs. with stand
post #83 of 553 Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:

No. Look again.

Found it

Sinclair Lewis.
post #84 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:

the manual says tv alone= 123.5.
with pedestal stand = 130.1

Funny thing is I remember reading it was 165 and 180 with stand. I guess that was all internet lies. Tell me it aint so..

It does feel pretty heavy however. I also bought rocio stand from costco and it rocks. I then got a piece of plexiglass to put in front of the stand to make it dog/child proof. Fits right in!

Also I have heard no popping noises whatsoever with this set.

Now if i can just find a deal on xbox elite somewhere..........

Anyone know of the correct height to view this beast in relation to video seating? I view 11-12' away from either a couch or recliner chair..

Good luck
post #85 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz924 View Post

the manual says tv alone= 123.5.
with pedestal stand = 130.1

Funny thing is I remember reading it was 165 and 180 with stand. I guess that was all internet lies. Tell me it aint so..

It does feel pretty heavy however. I also bought rocio stand from costco and it rocks. I then got a piece of plexiglass to put in front of the stand to make it dog/child proof. Fits right in!

Would you tell me where do you find the "PLEXIGLASS". Thank you.
post #86 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 AM

I've had this TV for 2 days now, and there is definitely a buzz. I can hear it from about 12 feet away, even with the volume up to around 5. It's noticeable to me, but I'm reluctant to return/exchange it because it's already mounted on the wall and a pain to get everything back in the box.
post #87 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM

I cant hear any buzz at all.

Sinclair Lewis.
post #88 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear no buzz on mine either. If you wall mounted it, maybe one of your cables is right next to a bx (power) cable in your wall? Try using some of those split/snap-on cable ferrites on your cables. They sometimes help with interference.
post #89 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM

For those of you picking this up on Friday...what time are you going to be waiting at the Costco doors? Or has anyone bought it earlier and still got the $500 dollars off?
post #90 of 553 Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I got mine three weeks ago. There is a buzz but I only notice it when I'm within a couple feet from behind the panel. At seating position (~12 feet), I can't hear any buzz, even in the middle of the night with the sound muted. I have yet to hang it on the wall (maybe this weekend). The change in position may changed noticeability. I'll post the results when complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page