AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Panasonic TH-58PE75U (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/922842-panasonic-th-58pe75u.html)

rsheets 10-14-2007 04:22 PM

The other day, while strolling around the Costco in Columbus, OH, I came across a 58" Panny lovingly named TH-58PE75U. I jotted down the model number and returned home to research panel in-depth. I plugged the model number into Google and was surprised to find only two results (AVS Forum was one of course). I've seen a lot about the TH-58PX75U here and other places but I can't find anything about TH-58PE75U. I did find the manual buried on Panasonic's parts site; don't bother looking at the main Panasonic site.

So now the enivitable question: anybody have one and what do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1572949014/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1572054533/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1572057679/

GC3 10-14-2007 05:52 PM

ugh..silver trim

RUSTY PELICAN 10-14-2007 06:20 PM

a 58" Panny - very good value.[/b]

But what year is this model? 2006 would be OK, but if before '06 your digital inputs might be limited to just DVI (and no HDMI). Obviously investigate further.

creemail 10-14-2007 08:06 PM

Interesting choice for the bezel. Looks like the PX600U.

Chris

praniln 10-14-2007 09:41 PM

I seen this unit at a costco by my house and I am pretty sure the box said 2 hdmi inputs.

joeLTron 10-14-2007 10:51 PM

Costco usually always sells outdated models, thats why they end up being cheaper.

aus 10-14-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

Costco usually always sells outdated models, thats why they end up being cheaper.

Not my Costco. They will sometimes have a different model number so you can't pricematch at BestBuy, but the unit's are the current models most of the time.

RandyWalters 10-15-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

Costco usually always sells outdated models, thats why they end up being cheaper.

Not true. Costco used to sell some outdated models, but last year their Panasonics and Pioneers were current models, and this year all their Panasonic models are current models, but with different astetics than the ones sold at CC and BB and Sears etc. (PE77U, PE700U, PC77U, PE75U).

Gerry S 10-15-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

Interesting choice for the bezel. Looks like the PX600U.

Chris

Saw it in store, and these were my thoughts exactly. Even the door where the front inputs are is the same. I just bought my PX600u from Costco last month, and I don't think I will bother exchanging it for the new model.

creemail 10-15-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

Saw it in store, and these were my thoughts exactly. Even the door where the front inputs are is the same. I just bought my PX600u from Costco last month, and I don't think I will bother exchanging it for the new model.

I am beginning to think that the 58PX75U should looks cosmetically different than PE75U. Based on the pics the PX75U looks like their smaller siblings.

Chris

wandering_burr 10-15-2007 05:08 PM

An educated guess is that this set has the same feature set announced back at the beginning of the year as the TH-58PX75U. It was reported on another thread that the 58PX75U release was cancelled and I've confirmed with two local box stores that they don't have anything other than the 700 or 750 in their systems at this size. Make of that what you will.

The box for this set advertises galleryplayer compatibility which was new in 07. In fact, i peeked at one at my costco and it had a manufacture date of Sept. 2007. I think we can safely assume this is an 07 model.

Has speakers on the bottom rather than the sides.
Bezel is combo matte black and silver.
Likely, (but not confirmed) no Anti-reflective coating.

I wish they'd come out with the 77 series equivalent with the AR feature. But since that was never on the release road-map for this year I don't expect to see one. Maybe they'll have one next spring but I suspect they'll just transition the 768 displays out and go all 1080P <-IMHO, no evidence to back this up.

My hypothesis is that the retail channel has been complaining to panasonic about having to compete with Costco on the high end ($3000-$5000)of the Plasma line so they came up with this compromise to keep Costco customers and retail partners happy. Retail gets to tell people that the Costco 58 is not as high quality because it doesn't have 1080p while Costco gets to look like a low price hero. Not that either position would be completely true, but it does sound like good marketing to me....

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

shasta 10-18-2007 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_burr View Post

An educated guess is that this set has the same feature set announced back at the beginning of the year as the TH-58PX75U. It was reported on another thread that the 58PX75U release was cancelled and I've confirmed with two local box stores that they don't have anything other than the 700 or 750 in their systems at this size. Make of that what you will.

The box for this set advertises galleryplayer compatibility which was new in 07. In fact, i peeked at one at my costco and it had a manufacture date of Sept. 2007. I think we can safely assume this is an 07 model.

Has speakers on the bottom rather than the sides.
Bezel is combo matte black and silver.
Likely, (but not confirmed) no Anti-reflective coating.

I wish they'd come out with the 77 series equivalent with the AR feature. But since that was never on the release road-map for this year I don't expect to see one. Maybe they'll have one next spring but I suspect they'll just transition the 768 displays out and go all 1080P <-IMHO, no evidence to back this up.

My hypothesis is that the retail channel has been complaining to panasonic about having to compete with Costco on the high end ($3000-$5000)of the Plasma line so they came up with this compromise to keep Costco customers and retail partners happy. Retail gets to tell people that the Costco 58 is not as high quality because it doesn't have 1080p while Costco gets to look like a low price hero. Not that either position would be completely true, but it does sound like good marketing to me....

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Everything you say makes sense. I've been trying to get info on this set from Panny directly but it seems like every person I speak with knows nothing about it or that it even exists. I would really like to see how this unit stands up to last years 58PX60U and PX600U. Thoses where very solid panels for the $$$.

DustSt0rm 10-18-2007 09:14 AM

i payed right about 2400 for my 58" 60u(TH58PX60U) a few months ago from costco... when i was looking around they were still for sale everywhere.... so that throws out the only selling outdated stance on that one

RandyWalters 10-18-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustSt0rm View Post

i payed right about 2400 for my 58" 60u(TH58PX60U) a few months ago from costco... when i was looking around they were still for sale everywhere.... so that throws out the only selling outdated stance on that one

Yeah there was a lot of leftover inventory on the larger size plasmas - they didn't sell out early like the smaller sizes did.

dsmith901 10-18-2007 11:24 AM

I saw the 50" version of this PE set at Sams about a month ago, but I don't understand the reference to any silver on the bezel. The frame on the 50" was all matte black, which I really liked over the shiny PZ versions. Panasonic has long made a special proprietary model for Sams and Costco; in fact I have the Sams 42PA25U. These proprietary models are usually missing a couple of minor features but otherwise perform as good as their BB counterpart, and are somewhat cheaper of course. Not sure what the PE is missing from the PZ, however, as they seem almost identical.

RandyWalters 10-18-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I saw the 50" version of this PE set at Sams about a month ago, but I don't understand the reference to any silver on the bezel. The frame on the 50" was all matte black, which I really liked over the shiny PZ versions. Panasonic has long made a special proprietary model for Sams and Costco; in fact I have the Sams 42PA25U. These proprietary models are usually missing a couple of minor features but otherwise perform as good as their BB counterpart, and are somewhat cheaper of course. Not sure what the PE is missing from the PZ, however, as they seem almost identical.

What you saw last month must have been the 50PE700U (Costco/Sam's Club version of the 50PZ700U) but this thread is about the 58" PE75U (768p) which only came out like a week ago. There is a picture of it in the first post in this thread and it looks like it is indeed the same as the 2006 58PX60U, complete with a silver cabinet and silver stand. Panasonic sometimes holds over the previous year's models on the larger sizes (probably because they couldn't sell them all).

pat999 10-18-2007 04:44 PM

Interestingly, Costco is listing this model under its 1080p lineup:

creemail 10-18-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat999 View Post

Interestingly, Costco is listing this model under its 1080p lineup:

Good catch! They obviously worded the description wrong. It will be fixed shortly. Can you say 58PE75U = a rebadged 58PX60U.

Chris

ceeze123 10-19-2007 04:07 AM

good post always good........................

shasta 10-19-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

Good catch! They obviously worded the description wrong. It will be fixed shortly. Can you say 58PE75U = a rebadged 58PX60U.

Chris


In My mind that would be a good thing, for the preformance, size and price, there really isn't anything out there to compete with it. I guess the 6070HD left-overs, but those are still selling for around $700 more, and when those are gone, it looks like Panny will have the only 768p model in the near 60" range.

John L 10-19-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post

In My mind that would be a good thing, for the preformance, size and price, there really isn't anything out there to compete with it. I guess the 6070HD left-overs, but those are still selling for around $700 more, and when those are gone, it looks like Panny will have the only 768p model in the near 60" range.

How about the LG PC1D 60" plasma. They can still be had by local retailers and mail order.

shasta 10-19-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post

How about the LG PC1D 60" plasma. They can still be had by local retailers and mail order.


Not a bad product, although I wouldn't put it in the same class as the Panny in terms of overall quality. Still I wouldn't be surprised if Panny does better with this product than most would expect. I belive the market is larger for a 58" 768P panel than many think it is, especially with the retail $$$ gap still so wide on the 1080p version.

digitaljok 10-20-2007 05:26 PM

Costco's return policy on these TVs is 90 days, whether bought on-line or in-store. Does this mean that they are willing to price adjust within that time frame? Would the policy be different for on-line versus in-store purchases?

Naxray 10-21-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaljok View Post

Costco's return policy on these TVs is 90 days, whether bought on-line or in-store. Does this mean that they are willing to price adjust within that time frame? Would the policy be different for on-line versus in-store purchases?

I asked someone at Costco this same question and was told that the price match was just for 30 days. I replied that that doesn't make sense - with a 90 day return policy, I could return the TV and get a new one at the lower price within 90 days leaving them with a used, open box TV. He shrugged and said, "that's our policy".

I guess they think most people would not go through the hassle of returning such a large item. My approach would be to reason with the store manager if I bought there and the price dropped within the 90 days.

srt8-in-largo 10-25-2007 09:21 PM

Probably just a store specific model based on the PX75. Circuit City also has specific model numbers on some brands (Mitsubishi) sold only in their store.

If this is the case...the PE75 would be virtually identical to the PX75 except for changes to small convenience features.

speedracer_rt/10 10-28-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxray View Post

I asked someone at Costco this same question and was told that the price match was just for 30 days. I replied that that doesn't make sense - with a 90 day return policy, I could return the TV and get a new one at the lower price within 90 days leaving them with a used, open box TV. He shrugged and said, "that's our policy".

I guess they think most people would not go through the hassle of returning such a large item. My approach would be to reason with the store manager if I bought there and the price dropped within the 90 days.

There's an easy solution to this problem that I've used before. Just bring your original receipt to the store, buy a second set and return it right there with your old receipt. Use your discretion as to whether you need to wheel it out to your car and back. The last time I did this the guy in charge understood the logic behind the situation and took care of everything right at the register.

bagwell-05 10-28-2007 06:43 PM

does Costco offer any type of extended warranty? I didn't see it on the website (except for the consierge service)

Roadpossum 10-30-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell-05 View Post

does Costco offer any type of extended warranty? I didn't see it on the website (except for the consierge service)

They include a 2-year Mfrs. Warranty on all televisions and computers. It's right at the top of their television page. Hard to pass that one up...

ottodog 10-31-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post

Everything you say makes sense. I've been trying to get info on this set from Panny directly but it seems like every person I speak with knows nothing about it or that it even exists. I would really like to see how this unit stands up to last years 58PX60U and PX600U. Thoses where very solid panels for the $$$.

Panasonic does show it on their website, so it must be a current model. I've been eyeballing this set also. Just wonder if it's a rebadged set or what?

ottodog 10-31-2007 07:50 PM

Does anyone out there own this set? I'd be interested in feedback.

Thanks.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.