Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #2161 of 5606 Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Boys and Girls,
Just a quick update. I've running movies and the scrolling feature on and off for the last few days and you need a good eye to find the image retention left on my screen so I'm reasonably sure it will completely disappear eventually. But I will certainly be more careful in the future and let it be a warning to those of you who are gamers. Even plasma tvs with many hours on them can get retention if you aren't careful. I would still choose this tv but just beware.
You can pick up a Samsung PN50B450 for under $800 CAD and I highly recommend this tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 5606 Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Hi guys,

Just picked up my Panny 58S1. Do many people still use the Break In DVD linked on this site? IF so, for how many hours. Also, after how many hours would it be considered safe to go into the service menu and tweak the unit with DNice's or someone elses settings?

I'm new to Plasmas and I'm very nervous about breaking it in. But I'm looking foward to tweaking it when it's broken in so I can see the beautiful picture that everyones been talking about.
post #2163 of 5606 Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvdg View Post

Thanks for your response. Indeed, you're right, it should not have resulted in permanent IR, but it did anyway, so it seems.

I tried to alternate between black and white slides for 6 hours using an interval of 30 seconds between slides, but that also didn't help to dissipate the after images.

I think I'm just going to contact Panasonic and see if a technician can come by to take a look. Usually this kind of thing isn't covered by warranty, so I doubt I can get a new one. When there's a bright scene it's very obvious and therefore very annoying, so all I can do is hope and wait what they say...

Last update: as expected it's not covered by warranty, so there's nothing they're gonna do about it (though the guy I had on the phone could have been somewhat less rude about it).

The ghost images haven't faded, not even a little bit. So I reckon, considering this is a relatively newer model (G15), that it's probably burn-in, because if it is IR it should probably have disappeared after a couple hundred hours of usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 5606 Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 PM

It's difficult to run 100-200 hours of slides and that's all; for many that's unrealistic. Like me. But running everything full screen, lowering contrast/brightness/color is generally imo doable for anyone. Cinema/THX mode if got it works too I think. I am about to do this...

I have a question; will running slides for long as able to, then switching to recommended settings for watching content (IR/BurnIn preventative settings for first 100 hours) for a few hours then going back to slides whenever you can okay to do or evenly age pixels?

EDIT: Found a good answer to my ignorance a few days ago. Skroh last year: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16016324
To me made everything crystal clear and felt silly not getting it fully before.
post #2165 of 5606 Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
planet earth seems like not the best thing to break in btw, or discovery right. it's all outdoors? So the top of the screen will get much more use than the bottom.(Sky/ground)
post #2166 of 5606 Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi everyone,

Just got a new Samsung PN50C450 and i'm brand spanking new to plasma tv's. Samsung says " NO BREAK IN PERIOD " but after finding this forum I'm not too sure. Is 50 contrast, 50 brightness a good setting to break in? Any other settings would be great.

Thanks.
post #2167 of 5606 Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People, lighten up. Let's repeat - the only reason to run break in slides is to get to a point faster where you can calibrate. If you are not doing this, simply enjoy your favorite TV programs and movies as long as you're watching full-screen for the first 100 hours or so (no letterbox). Don't panic if a commercial comes on and you get the black bars at the sides. The commercial will end and full screen material will resume and all is well with the universe. Just don't pause something for 20 minutes or leave it on a blu-ray menu for half hour etc. That type of thing. But you can watch and enjoy normal television and movies with no issues.

Honest: I'm on my second plasma TV. I have a Panasonic 65v10 and I don't notice IR at all unless i get right up on the TV and stare hard. Follow the above common-sense practices and you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. And no need to run slides or movies 24-7 to boot.
post #2168 of 5606 Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM

hey all does any one know if there are any newer better break in slides or a the ones at begining the best
post #2169 of 5606 Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM

I have a KRP-500M. I mostly watch HD TV so i have to deal with those stupid network logos most networks use. Will I end up with burn in or IR from those logos?

How bad is it to watch SD content on the 500M? Speed channel is not available in HD at this time on my cable provider.
post #2170 of 5606 Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert View Post

I have a KRP-500M. I mostly watch HD TV so i have to deal with those stupid network logos most networks use. Will I end up with burn in or IR from those logos?

How bad is it to watch SD content on the 500M? Speed channel is not available in HD at this time on my cable provider.

I finished 151 straight hours Friday night with the break-in DVD. (I was lucky to have the 46G15 to watch at the time. Don't worry about burn-in and IR, your fine. SD is the same with my 46G15, never seen a good picture on any lcd or plasma in SD

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #2171 of 5606 Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I finished 151 straight hours Friday night with the break-in DVD. (I was lucky to have the 46G15 to watch at the time. Don't worry about burn-in and IR, your fine. SD is the same with my 46G15, never seen a good picture on any lcd or plasma in SD

I understand that SD won't look all that great on any HDTV. I'm more concerned if the side bars will cause burn in or IR when viewing SD content. Maybe Comcast will add Speed TV HD with the elimination of most analog channels.

I'm 3 1/2 days into the 200 hour break-in with my KRP-500M. I did watch Top gun on Bluray before I started the break-in. I still have my good old 27" TV to watch for now.
post #2172 of 5606 Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Does IR take a while to get rid of and can it ever be perminant? 15 hours of HD movies and its still there...i mean i played the game for a good ammount of time but its always switching screens..theres no way it should still be there.
post #2173 of 5606 Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
When you get the Elite, (Pro-111FD or Pro-151FD)

1. Plug it in (LOL)

2. Press the Home Menu button on the remote.

3. then go to setup and press enter.

4. The go to Picture and press enter

5. Now set your settings up like this:

Picture:
AV Selection: Sport
Contrast: 50
Brightness: 0
Color: +20
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema
Film Mode: Off
Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence: Off

Picture Detail:
DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 2

Color Detail:
Color Temp: High

CTI: Off

Color Management
R 0
Y 0
G 0
C 0
B 0
M 0

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Screen Size: Full
Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: Mode 1

6. Click Here-----> Thumbdrive Files and put the files on your blank thumbdrive. Make sure you unzip the "BreakIn_Images.zip" folder and put the jpgs directly on the USB thumbdrive.

Then plug the thumb drive into the usb port on your Kuro.

And follow these instructions:

*Press home/menu on the remote

*Then go to "home media gallery"

*Then go to USB

*Then go to "USB Disk" (it may say 2.0 or something beside it)

*This should open your thumb drive and show you a list of the break-in jpg's.

*Press the "tools" button on the remote.

*Scroll down to slide show and press enter.

*Set the settings up like this:

Effect: Off
Monochrome: Off
Interval: 10 seconds - 30 seconds (your choice but I recommend 30 seconds)
Random: Off
Play mode: Repeat All
BGM:Off

*Then click "start"
(This should start up the slideshow Break-in process)

*Then press the "AV selection" button on the remote and toggle it until the AV mode is on SPORT

Let the TV run the slideshow (in sports AV mode) and break-in for 100-150 hours.

Feel free to watch TV when you want. Don't be afraid to. Just Try to stay away from channel logos, black bars, and static images whenever possible.
Use common sense and you will be just fine.

Once you have finished the break-in process, I would suggest using D-Nices reference settings for whichever Elite you have (111 or 151) as a starting point for your settings. If you like the settings then use them, but if you want to change the settings around, feel free to. There are many people that feel the settings are a liitle dull. There is nothing wrong with adjusting to your liking.

Here is a link to where you can find those settings.

D-Nice's settings page

Make sure you read the instructions above the settings that D-Nice put there to determine which setting are right for you.
He put them in bold red.

That should do it for you! let me know if you get stuck anywhere.

-Chadmak09

P.S. I would also recommend Getting ControlCal and Activating your ISF-Day, ISF-Night, and ISF-Auto modes. Then contacting a Certified ISF calibrator to calibrator your set.
post #2174 of 5606 Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert View Post

I would also leave the orbiter on. The only cases of IR that I have seen reported with the 111 or 151 were cases where the orbiter was off. I originally had my orbiter off based on advice from my first calibrator. I noticed some IR from a video game and turned it on. Thankfully, most of the IR has gone away, but it took awhile.

I have also seen reported cases where people watched the History Channel with the orbiter off and experienced IR. I have not seen one case where Elite owners have experienced IR with the orbiter on.

So in short, leave the orbiter on, and be smart about your viewing, and statistics suggest you will be fine.
post #2175 of 5606 Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Out of curiosity, has anyone suffered non-deliberate but permanent burn-in damage even after thoroughly breaking in their set?
post #2176 of 5606 Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Out of curiosity, has anyone suffered non-deliberate but permanent burn-in damage even after thoroughly breaking in their set?

Ha! I have the same question but for those that "haven't" "broken-in" their set
post #2177 of 5606 Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

I am unsure if I have a bad IR or just a light burn-in (ppl confuse burn-in and IR, and ghosting images - including me)... My Panasonic g25 I did 100 hours of break-in slides, kept settings at 50 for next 50 hours of TV watching so at 150 hours we bumped contrast up a little, we only use THX mode; raised Contrast to 70 and Brightness 57 for TV watching. My brother watched an NCIS marathon on USA network for 5-6 hours, He turned the TV off right when was done for the night. The next morning I turned on; a Vonage commercial came on bright orange solid background and I noticed the outlines of USA logo. Would never have noticed otherwise. It looks faded, or looks like IR honestly as the pixels are "darker" thus leaves that retention of the logo - but it's been nearly 3 days and it's still there... I thought USA logo was transparent it's not exactly; almost solid white which is the worst. Eek I am sorta worried or worried I didn't handle fixing it properly.
post #2178 of 5606 Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM

MW2 grenades and the map on the top left is still there on an all dark screen..that was 50 or more hours ago...seems to be getting duller but wow is it taking a while.
post #2179 of 5606 Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Here's a nutty idea perhaps; to help with my IR of the USA logo I've had for a week now, and ain't fading... would running a high contrast white screen, similar to break-in slides, but having a blackened logo of USA right where the IR is; help relieve the IR? Or make it worse... The Pixels seem a little darker there thus how you can make out the IR. My logic is, and it very likely is flawed, that it may lessen if the other pixels are blasted and the IR'd USA shape is kept darker/black.

That would make it worse tho probably. The USA logo itself is barely transparent white logo, high contrasted so it's bad for IR. Anyways... probably wouldn't work.
post #2180 of 5606 Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After 1250 hours I don't even bother checking for IR. I watch ESPN 90% of my viewing time and haven't seen anything switching to MW2 or Madden. Enjoy your set while its in good condition and new. Can't wait to get a bigger size when I get my own house next year!

PSN - nnarum
post #2181 of 5606 Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have really bad image retention from my cable providers program guide/DVR list. It displays in 4:3 with gray bars on the sides which would be fine but they put a small black line in between the guide and the bars. Thanks Time Warner. I noticed them while turning off my PS3. I was playing with the brightness to try and adjust the horrible black levels of the set(Panasonic 46U1) and when I turned the brightness up to 100% I seen the two darker black lines. I ran the scrolling bar for a few minutes but that didn't help at all.

I can't even use the guide for 10 minutes a day and I have IR/possible burn-in?

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #2182 of 5606 Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM

I agree with the slide logic in terms of even-aging of the panel and for quickly testing the TV before the no-hassle return policy expires. The only thing I cannot figure out from these threads is the consensus on the Photo settings during the slideshow. I have read about 50% Contrast/Brightness and of torching with 100% Contrast/75% Brightness. I personally think that a mild aging is better than a torch - especially when you consider the power consumption and heat issues. I also plan on watching low contrast/full screen content for 100 hours after the slideshow (overkill?! maybe). What is everyone else doing for the Photo settings?
post #2183 of 5606 Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Hey guys
Im a noob with all of this.
Here is my situation. I just bought a LG Pk 550 (Firsh HD TV) and I want to do a break in and I have a few questions.

1) How to do a Break In?
2) What is White Wash and When to use it?
3) What is Color Wash and when to use it?
4) Setup like Game and Cinema are they the same if I but all the setting to equal values are are they some hidden Caracteristics I cant change.

Thank you so much for your help

Sanguix
Peace
post #2184 of 5606 Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Given the problems some people have with image retention and burn in, why don't manufacturers do the initial 100 hour break-in themselves?
post #2185 of 5606 Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM

I have wondered the same thing! I think manufacturers do an initial (but smaller) break-in, but the 100-hour duration just 'clogs' up the efficiency of the manufacturing process. Plus, some people prefer to have a FRESH plasma - on where the blacks are the blackest and colors are new. So, maybe the manufacturers are allowing the consumers to decide whether to break-in or just jump-in for themselves.
post #2186 of 5606 Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks for the images! I burned an SVCD with Nero and I am now running the slides on my LG PK550...only 149 hours to go!
post #2187 of 5606 Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Although there are model specific break-in instructions here, could I apply the same images to break-in a Panasonic V10? I haven't been able to find any break-in procedures for that model as detailed as the ones here for the Pioneer and other Panasonic models. Perhaps they exist, but I've read over 100 pages of forums today on my blu-ray player and tv in other threads and haven't found any yet. And my eyes are starting to kill me....
post #2188 of 5606 Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have been running the break-in slides for about 8 to 10 hours each day but I have one question. For normal use I have been keeping the Contrast below 65 and the Energy Saving feature on Medium. When I run the slides shouldn't I crank up the Contrast to maybe 90 or so and turn off the Energy Saving feature? What is the basic recommendation for Contrast settings for the break-in slides??
post #2189 of 5606 Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM

My COD HUD is still there after 6 weeks of regular use I dont play COD that much on this TV anymore..its not going away...is this perment IR or burn in? Can only see in on a black screen
post #2190 of 5606 Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM

do you know if this will work for the pk550.. would the menu instructions still work the same.. If different does anyone know how to run the pic gallery for this model.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page