Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Newbie Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen on several sites that this plasma is capable of taking the DVI from the PC to the HDMI on the Plasma and displaying at 1900X1080. I must not be doing something right because what ever I try it doesnt display the PC. I know for a fact the PC will display a DVI to DVI on a 24 inch monitor because I tried it. I can get an analog signal to come up on the Plasma on the PC input. But what I really want is the PC to display DVI on the HDMI 1 or 2 input. Seems odd that it would display a DVI on the 24 in monitor but not on the Plasma. Does it not like the DVI to HDMI connection. Do I need a PC with an HDMI out sent directly to the HDMI on the Plasma. Please Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

One caveat however is that audio from any input source will be sent out at 2.0 stereo so the AVR will have to convert it to surround sound or whatever.

Great, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks for the heads up on the 2 channel audio, though I figured as much as I didn't see any multi-channel audio inputs on the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

I think Panasonic is right -- analog audio will be converted to digital and output through the toslink.

Even if doesn't work this way, what's the problem with running analog cables from the back of the TV to the receiver?

I've got about a 25' run between the display and the AVR and I'd rather save the money and not need to fish even more cables.

However, if it's only going to output 2ch audio, I suppose I'll just buy whatever is going to be cheaper and I'd expect that to be the composite audio cables.

Thanks!
post #33 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydigital View Post

Great, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks for the heads up on the 2 channel audio, though I figured as much as I didn't see any multi-channel audio inputs on the set.

I've got about a 25' run between the display and the AVR and I'd rather save the money and not need to fish even more cables.

However, if it's only going to output 2ch audio, I suppose I'll just buy whatever is going to be cheaper and I'd expect that to be the composite audio cables.

Thanks!

It'll be two-channel only, so I'd go with analog audio. Cheaper and more robust over long runs.

The only case where the toslink output is useful is if you use the set's internal ATSC/QAM tuner. Then you'll get digital 5.1 ouput.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerbluedog View Post

I have seen on several sites that this plasma is capable of taking the DVI from the PC to the HDMI on the Plasma and displaying at 1900X1080. I must not be doing something right because what ever I try it doesnt display the PC. I know for a fact the PC will display a DVI to DVI on a 24 inch monitor because I tried it. I can get an analog signal to come up on the Plasma on the PC input. But what I really want is the PC to display DVI on the HDMI 1 or 2 input. Seems odd that it would display a DVI on the 24 in monitor but not on the Plasma. Does it not like the DVI to HDMI connection. Do I need a PC with an HDMI out sent directly to the HDMI on the Plasma. Please Help.

You don't need a PC with an HDMI output, a DVI to HDMI cable should work fine.

Make sure that the PC is set to outpit 1920x1080 at 60hz. What type of video card do you have?
post #35 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Ati integrated 9100 I think.
post #36 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

It'll be two-channel only, so I'd go with analog audio. Cheaper and more robust over long runs.

That's what I did. I'm not even sure that I'll ever use the inputs on the TV which is another reason to stick 2-channel. 25' of analog is hella cheaper than 25' of toslink!
Thanks for the help - this is a very informative board!
post #37 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydigital View Post

That's what I did. I'm not even sure that I'll ever use the inputs on the TV which is another reason to stick 2-channel. 25' of analog is hella cheaper than 25' of toslink!

Well if you're not going to be using any of the TV's inputs then that leaves just the built-in ATSC tuner and this is the time when you will want to use Toslink to send audio to your AVR.

Monoprice has a few 25-foot inexpensive Toslink cables - look at item #2833 for $7.31 or item #2766 for $9.71 . . . .

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #38 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well if you're not going to be using any of the TV's inputs then that leaves just the built-in ATSC tuner and this is the time when you will want to use Toslink to send audio to your AVR.

Monoprice has a few 25-foot inexpensive Toslink cables - look at item #2833 for $7.31 or item #2766 for $9.71 . . . .

Let me clarify - I'm using one of the HDMI inputs from my AVR (which is doing the rest of my HDMI switching) for video. My AVR is of course doing all of the audio sourced from my other components. This is more for the rare case where I need to plug something into the front composite inputs.
post #39 of 99 Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Why does the screen go dim if there is a static image on the screen for over 5 mins? If a static image is left for 2 hours after the TV has been run in for 100+ hours and the screen has dimmed will that still result in burn in?

Or does the lower intensity of the dim screen stop burn in?

About the lack of 24p support on the pz700 is that a huge loss?

Would be nice if Once and for all someone please show or link of some proof if the PZ700 is infact HDMI 1.3, if possible thanks as many have said that CURRENT panasonic panels only support V 1.2a?

Is it possible to connect a laptop to the PZ700 in a way that supports HI DEF or is that dependant on the video card?

Is there such a thing as an external box which will take a signal i.e. in from a bluray player or other and send a 16:9 converted image to fit the whole screen instead of bars at top and bottom without degrading quality? Some movies simply cannot be played in full screen without zoom so what would be good is something that stretches the image without degrading the image too much?

Another example being able to plug a DVD upscaler into the converter and without degrading quality feed the TV a perfect 16:9 image not even with slight bars?

If the DVD upscaler upscales and the converter upscales and so does the TV will too much upscaling lead to degraded quality?

THANKS
post #40 of 99 Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Anyone?

any answers welcome thanks
post #41 of 99 Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by visual-era plus View Post

It's a matter of opinion. Read what the following link has to say about the subject and you can decide if it will make a big difference to you.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1015

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #42 of 99 Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why does the screen go dim if there is a static image on the screen for over 5 mins?

To reduce the effect of image retention (IR) or eventual burn in.

Quote:

Not to me.

Quote:

Is it possible to connect a laptop to the PZ700 in a way that supports HI DEF or is that dependant on the video card?

You can connect via VGA or HDMI (DVI). Using the HDMI port will allow up to [email protected]

VGA supported res can be found in the manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...TH58PZ700U.PDF
post #43 of 99 Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Would be nice if Once and for all someone please show or link of some proof if the PZ700 is infact HDMI 1.3, if possible thanks as many have said that CURRENT panasonic panels only support V 1.2a?

I believe that it supports HDMI 1.3, though that's not particularly useful in a TV. What HDMI 1.3 features are important to you?

Most of what people like about 1.3 is only relevant to audio and would only come into play if you're feeding the HDMI signal through an AV receiver that supports HDMI 1.3.

Quote:

Another example being able to plug a DVD upscaler into the converter and without degrading quality feed the TV a perfect 16:9 image not even with slight bars?

If the movie is wider than 16:9, you're never going to be able to fill the screen without distortion or some image degradation. It's just not possible, especially with a standard definition DVD.

Quote:

If the DVD upscaler upscales and the converter upscales and so does the TV will too much upscaling lead to degraded quality?

THANKS

It could, which is why it's usually best to have the upscaling DVD player output 1080i or 1080p, to avoid double-scaling the image.

I will say that I play DVDs on my Xbox 360, which is set to 1360x768 via VGA. This is "double scaling" (720x480 to 1360x768, then 1360x768 to 1920x1080) but it actually looks fine.
post #44 of 99 Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys for the responses much appreciated

I have currently run in my TV at around 240 hours and have heard a few posters complaining they get IR that do last for days after watching only 3-4 hours with a static channel logo.

I would like to know how many can watch sports or a channel with heavy logos for 1 - 2 hours and not suffer Image retention after a few hours of playing different content to clear it?

Can i leave it on one channel for a few hours and come back and expect the IR to be gone in say 30 mins of different content?

What furthers the confusion is that Panasonic do not mention the break in with their manuals. They seem to be oblivious as if they are the ones that never made the TV. Can't even tell us how long a static image has to be left on the TV to cause retention that would last hours or how long it takes to burn in.

Is there a way to check for subtle burn in or IR, i.e. playing different colour backgrounds?

Posters have told me they contacted Panasonic for the what HDMI version the PZ700 has, and have been given 2 different responses, once again it seems Panasonic does not even know.
post #45 of 99 Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 AM
PFF

Quote:

Thanks guys for the responses much appreciated
I have currently run in my TV at around 240 hours and have heard a few posters complaining they get IR that do last for days after watching only 3-4 hours with a static channel logo.

I know IR is not the same as burn in, but you would think that the anti-burn in technology like pixel shifting in the Panasonics would prevent IR after just 3-4 hours. How common is this?

I am less than 10 hours into a 50PE700U and have been careful about my viewing habits. Many have recommended that after the break in period that current generation plasma owners shouldn't worry about burn in - that you would have to leave the set on the same image for days to cause burn in to occur. I just want to be able to watch football on the weeks or a weekly widescreen blu-ray movie with the black bars on the top and bottom.
post #46 of 99 Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFF View Post

I know IR is not the same as burn in, but you would think that the anti-burn in technology like pixel shifting in the Panasonics would prevent IR after just 3-4 hours. How common is this?

I am less than 10 hours into a 50PE700U and have been careful about my viewing habits. Many have recommended that after the break in period that current generation plasma owners shouldn't worry about burn in - that you would have to leave the set on the same image for days to cause burn in to occur. I just want to be able to watch football on the weeks or a weekly widescreen blu-ray movie with the black bars on the top and bottom.

If you're watching one movie per week (or even four or five) with black bars, or football, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Football especially isn't a problem, because the static logos disappear during commercials.

The only time I've had long-lasting IR is with video games.
post #47 of 99 Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:

And aside from those few posters who claim to have IR that lasts for days, there are probably hundreds on this forum alone who have confirmed that any IR they're getting goes away within seconds or minutes.

Quote:

I would like to know how many can watch sports or a channel with heavy logos for 1 - 2 hours and not suffer Image retention after a few hours of playing different content to clear it?

The very first Saturday morning with my then-two-day-old PZ700U, with absolutely no break-in, i watched over 4-straight hours of recorded Speedchannel racing in 4:3 mode with black bars on the sides, SPEED logo in the upper right corner, and scoring banner across the top of the screen, and my Picture settings set at like +29 in Standard mode. At the end of this 4-hour marathon, i switched to an HD program and paused the image on a light blue sky scene and immediately saw the IR from the black bars and faint SPEED logo on the screen, then was amazed to see it quickly fade away in about 10 seconds and completely disappear. I got up close to the screen and could not see where the black bars were a moment before. Two years earlier on my old PX50U, that same test left IR on my screen for hours so it's obvious to me that Panasonic has pretty much eliminated burn in. You cannot get burn in if you're not getting IR.

Quote:

Can i leave it on one channel for a few hours and come back and expect the IR to be gone in say 30 mins of different content?

I do it every weekend for hours at a time (Speedchannel again). I don't like stretched racecars. Or stretched women for that matter. Some things must remain OAR. And i watch probably 2-3 hours of local HD news daily with the station logos and tickers and still 6 months and 1,200 hours later, any IR i get disappears within seconds, and i still have absolutely no visual evidence of burn-in when i check for it. None. I'm not worried in the least. Even my old PX50U (about 7,000 hours) has no evidence of burn-in with the same weekend and daily abuse.

Quote:

What furthers the confusion is that Panasonic do not mention the break in with their manuals. They seem to be oblivious as if they are the ones that never made the TV. Can't even tell us how long a static image has to be left on the TV to cause retention that would last hours or how long it takes to burn in.

So far i can not remember seeing any 2007 Panasonic owners that reported any permanent burn-in, and i honestly think it's just no longer an issue on the current models. I don't even worry about it anymore, i just watch 4:3 about 30% of the time and enjoy my PZ.

Quote:

Is there a way to check for subtle burn in or IR, i.e. playing different colour backgrounds?

Yes.

Quote:

Posters have told me they contacted Panasonic for the what HDMI version the PZ700 has, and have been given 2 different responses, once again it seems Panasonic does not even know.

It's been verified many many times long long ago that all the current 2007 models are 1.3 despite the constant reocurring old rumors that it's only 1.2 (which was started by a misprint on Crutchfield's site). If you refuse to believe that it's 1.3 by now then just give up and consider it to be 1.2 and live with it. Exactly how would it affect you if it were not 1.3?

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #48 of 99 Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks Randy for the reassurance. I find that actively checking for issues with the TV about IR and so on only hinders enjoying the TV.

You mentioned watching a lot of TV with bars, regardless of IR would that not age the phosphors in an uneven way especially if its accumalative watching of non full screen content? Is there anyway around this?

Sometimes the PZ700 scales a picture with slight bars, this is also what other posters have mentioned in regards to this model. Is there some sort of converter that will do slight strectching to fit the whole screen and even do appropriate stretching for movies to fit the full screen without bars? I know this will degrade picture in quality but is there some kind of box/converter designed to do this with minimal effect?

So for example u would plug the feeds into the box and the box into the TV that will only recieve a full screen image from the converter that has scaled the bluray/satellite content?
post #49 of 99 Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

I have a quick question. I just bought the 42PZ700U and I have it linked to my cable via an hdmi cable. When I view 1080i channels such as Discovery HD, I find that there is a small border at the top of the screen maybe a 1/4 inch thick and then on other 1080i channels there is a border roughly the same size on the left hand side of the screen. These borders dissapear when I change the signal on the cablebox to 720p. I am running my XBOX 360 at 1080i and don't see these borders. I have a Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR cablebox and my service provider is Time Warner. Any comments would be much appreciated.
post #50 of 99 Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thank you so much for this thread, its a great help for all of us new 700U owners. Greatly appreciated!
post #51 of 99 Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22897 Post(s)
Liked: 12522
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

6. How long can I expect my plasma TV to last?

Panasonic plasma TVs have a projected life of 60,000 hours before they're only half as bright as when they were new. That's 20+ years at 7 hours a day (which is the average daily viewing time per U.S. household).

Starting with this line, the new 1/2 life is 100,000 hours or about 40 years at 7 hours/day.

Also, how about adding something like the following for bullet #14:

14. For additional information not answered here, use the [Search this Thread] feature (located just under the page number listings in the upper right side of the screen) and enter the appropriate key word(s) you want to search for. You must be logged on, in order to use this feature.
post #52 of 99 Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Starting with this line, the new 1/2 life is 100,000 hours or about 40 years at 7 hours/day.

Also, how about adding something like the following for bullet #14:

14. For additional information not answered here, use the [Search this Thread] feature (located just under the page number listings in the upper right side of the screen) and enter the appropriate key word(s) you want to search for. You must be logged on, in order to use this feature.

Excellent point jdsmoothie. Thanks. I edited the post this morning

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #53 of 99 Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Is there a way to tell how long a TV has been used for? I'm thinking about buying a floor model.
post #54 of 99 Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Excellent point jdsmoothie. Thanks. I edited the post this morning

By "this line" I should have emphasized it implied only the 1080p sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrichj View Post

Is there a way to tell how long a TV has been used for? I'm thinking about buying a floor model.

With a 100,000 half-life, even if the floor model was an original set from last summer playing at 12 hrs/day you're looking at a maximum set time of 4000 hours, leaving you 96,000 hours (38 years) of effective use so does it really matter how many hours are on the set? You can search the Original owners thread for exact procedure, however, it involves going into the service menu which the vendor may or may not allow you to do. Also, there is potential to "brick" the set if an error is made while in the service menu.
post #55 of 99 Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to work up the nerve to get this set. I was very close to getting a 52XBR4 but I keep reading about smearing... I swear this about the toughest choice I've ever made.
post #56 of 99 Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to work up the nerve to get this set. I was very close to getting a 52XBR4 but I keep reading about smearing... I swear this about the toughest choice I've ever made.

Go with the Panny ... you won't regret it, especially for gaming.
post #57 of 99 Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 AM

I went for it. It's pretty nice so far. I've tested COD4 though to test for fringing (the black showing green for a second when panning certain areas) and there is definitely an issue there. That said, its really not a problem considering there's no motion blur... I guess its a small price to pay.

I ended up not getting the floor model and got the 50PE700u from Costco. Its the same TV as the 50PZ700u with a few cosmetic differences.
post #58 of 99 Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:

I went for it. It's pretty nice so far. I've tested COD4 though to test for fringing (the black showing green for a second when panning certain areas) and there is definitely an issue there. That said, its really not a problem considering there's no motion blur... I guess its a small price to pay.

I ended up not getting the floor model and got the 50PE700u from Costco. Its the same TV as the 50PZ700u with a few cosmetic differences.

Keep in mind that COD4 is known for having bad fringing in general. You shouldn't get it in other games. I've never played COD4, however, I've never seen it in any other game I've played on the Panny.
post #59 of 99 Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 AM

Yeah. I can live with it and its pretty hard to notice anywhere else.

I have a couple of other questions about plasmas in general since this is my first plasma.

It seems that on still images certain colors don't hold perfectly like they do on an LCD. You can see some of the pixels shifting between a couple shades of color where they are color gradations. Is this normal? Its impossible to notice with something in motion but when I hook my computer up to it - the default vista background shows it pretty easily. (Hooked up with a DVI -> HDMI cable). Its also evident on all other connections XBOX360 HDMI, cable HDMI with still images.

Also, and this really sucks, I noticed my set has about 3 stuck/dead pixels. Again you have to be really close and two of them show up only on certain colors I think. It looks like these pixels are flickering between black and another color.

Overall, the black level of the set impresses me and the motion handling is great. The color seems like garbage in some cases right now with the flickering pixels on color gradations. It also has much more false contouring than my old 37'' 1080p Westinghouse LCD.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping these things clear up... maybe after breaking it in. Otherwise I have a feeling this thing is going back.
post #60 of 99 Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Also, and this really sucks, I noticed my set has about 3 stuck/dead pixels. Again you have to be really close and two of them show up only on certain colors I think. It looks like these pixels are flickering between black and another color.

Overall, the black level of the set impresses me and the motion handling is great. The color seems like garbage in some cases right now with the flickering pixels on color gradations. It also has much more false contouring than my old 37'' 1080p Westinghouse LCD.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping these things clear up... maybe after breaking it in. Otherwise I have a feeling this thing is going back.

I can't address the computer static image issue, however, you might want to check the PZ700u/750u calibration thread if you haven't already. Some of what you describe might be reduced with some tweaking of your settings.

Whether you return the set for the dead pixel issue is your choice as it's my understanding that Costco will take the set back. There is software out there to try and unstick pixels however it seems like there are mixed reviews on it's effectiveness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page