Will the redmere cables solve my problems? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I upgraded my television from a 32 inch Sony KDX to a 40 inch Samsung 6300AF.  All I did was swap the tv's on the wall, and I hooked up the same HDMI cable into the new tv.   I'm switching all inputs through my Yamaha AV RX-V667 receiver with one HDMI out to the tv.  Now when I turn on the tv it switches the receiver to the wrong input.  I get video but no sound and I have to manually change the input back to the cable box and then everything works as expected.  I have tried every combination you can think of to solve this problem, I even have turned of HDMI control on the Yamaha, I have tried all 4 inputs on the tv with the same result.  Somehow the ARC is communicating back down to the receiver the wrong info.  Any ideas on whether these new cables will solve the ARC issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdo View Post

I upgraded my television from a 32 inch Sony KDX to a 40 inch Samsung 6300AF.  All I did was swap the tv's on the wall, and I hooked up the same HDMI cable into the new tv.   I'm switching all inputs through my Yamaha AV RX-V667 receiver with one HDMI out to the tv.  Now when I turn on the tv it switches the receiver to the wrong input.  I get video but no sound and I have to manually change the input back to the cable box and then everything works as expected.  I have tried every combination you can think of to solve this problem, I even have turned of HDMI control on the Yamaha, I have tried all 4 inputs on the tv with the same result.  Somehow the ARC is communicating back down to the receiver the wrong info.  Any ideas on whether these new cables will solve the ARC issue.

Without knowing you, I'll still bet you are smart enough to answer your own question about whether the Redmere will solve your CEC (not ARC) problem.

How would the cable, which just sends 1s and 0s, have enough smarts to consistently change the input on the receiver? In an ideal world, the same 1s and 0s that go into the cable also come out of the cable. If not, those are random bit errors and produce random results. So knowing that, do you think the Redmere will help you?

I suspect you have a CEC setting wrong in the Samsung. Also remember Samsung (and LG) kind-of used their own version of CEC/ARC. So, both of those brands work much better with their own company's equipment.

So, 1) make sure the firmware is up to date in the TV and the receiver; 2) Check the Samsung menu for CEC settings or to Disable CEC; 3) Contact Samsung and see if they have a solution if the first two items have not solved the problem.

One other thing you could use is a non-ARC HDMI input to the Samsung (for ARC the input acts as an output).
post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, well, I know the cables I have microprocessors in them and can pass info to devices, for example when I turn on my blue-ray the Yamaha AV receiver automatically switches to the correct input.  So this is happening by osmosis? no, it is being passed through the cable.  I also suspect I DON'T have a CEC setting wrong in the Samsung (which in Samsung is called ARC not CEC), and I have already contacted Samsung CS for the correct set-up, which was already set-up correctly.  I have also tried every possible combination of settings between the Samsung and the Yamaha with each TV input.  I guess I'll have to accept this situation won't ever be remedied.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM

What you wrote is actually wrong but you don't seem to want to learn. Least of which is that Audio Return Channel (ARC) is not the same as CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) but they are related Also the digital signal processor (DSP) in the Redmere is used to restore the signal to its original form, not change the signal. There are other errors.

Best of luck to you...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
all I can say is wow....

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 340
‘which in Samsung is called ARC not CEC’ – maybe that’s where your/Samsung’s problem lies, someone forgot to explain to Samsung that CEC and ARC are very different technologies (though in most ARC implementations you have to enable CEC on the TV to get ARC to work).

CEC - http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=3#86

ARC - http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

I’m pretty sure HDMI.org have a good handle on this Tech biggrin.gif

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

alk3997, i found your response to my simple question to be a tad bit, may I say, condescending.  We can't all be electronics geniuses, some of us are out designing medical products that actually save lives. I'm sorry if my response was as childish as yours, i should be above that, but hey, that's what makes us human.  If you had actually taken the time to read my entire post you may have responded differently.  Do not overlook the fact that I do value your opinion here, I have read many thoughtful posts from you and think you are a great resource.  Like most people here I am just trying to learn so please go easy on us non tech savvy folks.  Please accept my apologies for my snarky post.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM

As I said good luck.. (I really don't have time to read your response in full - particularly from someone who is looking for free help)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:

Thanks, well, I know the cables I have microprocessors in them...
Unless they are Redmere cables already, the cables are most likely just cables, or should be. Unless you have actual video/audio issues, you JUST have normal copper HDMI cables.
Quote:

... and can pass info to devices, for example when I turn on my blue-ray the Yamaha AV receiver automatically switches to the correct input.
That is a function of CEC. Consumer Electronics Code. It is designed to make your system easy to use, but in test after test after test, it fails and actually puts displays on incorrect inputs, turns the wrong things on and off and acts in unexpected manner. Sometimes, but not always, brand specific products (Samsung receiver, Samsung TV, Samsung Blu-ray) play pretty well together, but even then, not always.
Quote:

So this is happening by osmosis?
Snarky! biggrin.gif
Quote:

no, it is being passed through the cable.
Yes, you are correct here. But the key is that it is just being passed through conductors on the cable. There is nothing about the cable which acts upon the signal. Even with Redmere cables, they don't act on CEC or anything else except to allow a thinner cable to pass signals a greater distance.
Quote:

I also suspect I DON'T have a CEC setting wrong in the Samsung (which in Samsung is called ARC not CEC), and I have already contacted Samsung CS for the correct set-up, which was already set-up correctly.  I have also tried every possible combination of settings between the Samsung and the Yamaha with each TV input.
I daresay that you are giving up to easily.

First, as has been mentioned, CEC and ARC are very different technologies and are only related on the fringes.

I believe that Samsung calls CEC Anynet. This is the feature that should be (and can be) turned off. It should not need to be, but if it is truly causing a consistent issue, then you should get a good universal remote for your setup and just disable Anynet on the Samsung TV.

On ALL connected sources which may be causing issues, such as Blu-ray Disc players, game consoles, and even the A/V receiver, you want HDMI-CEC turned off so that you can get good solid control of those sources though a good universal remote control.

There are a number of videos on YouTube about Anynet+ from Samsung:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anynet%2B%20(hdmi-cec)&sm=3

If Samsung told you that CEC and ARC are the same thing, then you have been mislead by them, and you get an understanding of why people get so frustrated by electronics and why CEC is such a stupid product. They don't even know what it is!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the help here. I hope I can return the favor one day...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

AV thanks for taking the time to address my questions.  I'm a newbie at this electronics stuff and have much to learn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page