Possible to combine/mix multiple HDMI sources (audio only)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I've made two other threads this past week in other sections of the forum that touch on this question.

I have a Denon 4520CI reciever, all onboard amps are dedicated to my 9.2 speaker configuration. I cannot and do not want to use the "zone" feature on the reciever.
All of my audio sources are connected via HDMI.
Source devices are my consoles (PS3/PS4/X360/Wii U) and my computer.

What I'm trying to do is this:
Listen to music on my computer while playing console games, and I don't mean console video + computer audio.
My consoles are setup for 7.1.
My computer is also setup for 7.1.
I want to hear both console and computer audio at the same time from the same speakers, all while preserving the audio channels. Basically what a splitter/switchbox does, only bass ackwards.

I've tried searching here and elsewhere, but all results I get are either about sending one HDMI signal to multiple devices at the same time, or splitting audio from video into separate cables.

Is this possible? If so, how should I do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 333
‘Is this possible?’ – not within the AVR (or any other AVR).

If you wish to ‘Mix’ the two audio streams you will require an external box where you can pre-mix the two audio streams – most likely that will have to be in the analogue domain not digital (unless you are willing to throw a few thousand $$$ at a Pro Mixer).

If you can connect a second audio connection between the PC and the AVR you can configure the system to listen to one Source (PC) whilst you view a different Source (Console) – though you will be ‘limited’ to DD/DTS or Stereo audio.

I guess you could look at a Capture device (with HD audio capability) and plumb the Console via the PC and do the audio mix within the PC and then hand that over via HDMI to the AVR.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
So, you will need two DSPs (digital mixers) with a Dante or AVB connection between them and analog audio connectivity to feed your external amplifiers.

biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, at this time, I haven't seen a DSP which has HDMI inputs on it and can mix entirely in the digital domain. The number of discrete channels, decoding, and leveling of everything makes it very intensive, and, unfortunately for you, a feature that is almost never desired.

I've thought about doing some of this to mix a paging system into my surround systems, but haven't wanted to dish out the significant costs associated with DSPs to make this happen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I figured I would need another device to do mixing, but figured I would ask to be certain. Thanks.

I was hoping to use my PC to do the mixing for ease of control, but one not found any sound card with a 7.1 HDMI input.
I've not reality thought about a capture card. I assumed they degraded the signal for streaming purposes.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Possibly simpler to 'extract' the 7.1 audio as LPCM from the HDMI Stream and Input that as analogue audio to the PC to be mixed - sounds simple!

The Extraction bit is fairly straightforward (http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html) - not so sure about mixing the two 7.1 audio streams within the PC.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the assistance.

I wanted to keep it all digital signals since I didn't have a need for HDCP compliance from games.
Now to find a 7.1 INPUT soundcard, or some other "recording device" (as far as windows is concerned. I should beable to just "listen to this device" while it's sending audio without actually "recording", like you can with a microphone to test your volume or hear yourself speak).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page