HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 343Likes

post #1261 of 2304 Old 12-11-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
How are people getting the blackbird extender to work?

Mine is conmected via:

Onkyo S7800 Main Output (HDCP 2.2) --> HDMI cable -> Blackbird input -> HDMI -> Blackbird output -> TV arc HDMI connection

My Samsung 4K Blu ray player I'll get an image on the menu but when I play a movie, no image only sound.

Works without the extender but not with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
without having to read through tons of pages here ...
Is there any hdmi cable that is confirmed to work [email protected] 4:4:4 at 25 ft length and/or 30 ft?
post #1263 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 AM

Is passing the 4k test on the xbox one S a reliable method of testing if a cable is able to achieve [email protected]?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post
without having to read through tons of pages here ...
Is there any hdmi cable that is confirmed to work [email protected] 4:4:4 at 25 ft length and/or 30 ft?
Dave Vaughn has reported that the Blue Jeans 1E works at 30 feet but Joe or Otto wrote that copper HDMI cables are unreliable after more than 18 feet.
evilflooz likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #1265 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend Busa View Post
How are people getting the blackbird extender to work?

Mine is conmected via:

Onkyo S7800 Main Output (HDCP 2.2) --> HDMI cable -> Blackbird input -> HDMI -> Blackbird output -> TV arc HDMI connection

My Samsung 4K Blu ray player I'll get an image on the menu but when I play a movie, no image only sound.

Works without the extender but not with it.
What exact HDMI cables are you using with the BB?
post #1266 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That's it. I've officially lost all hope of ever viewing [email protected] with 444 using HDMI. I've tried 4 different brands and they all have their faults. These are the brands I've tried:

- Mediabridge
- Blue Jeans Cable
- KabelDirect
- Monoprice

All of the cables I've purchased are 10ft long. All suffer the same inconsistencies. My TV is a LG B6. Recently they've updated the firmware for the TV and that seemed to have rid me of flickering horizontal lines and "digital snow". However, that fix(?) brought another problem with it. Now the WHOLE screen flickers black for a second or two at random intervals. It gets excessive when scrolling through webpages.

GPU is powerful enough (GTX1070) to broadcast 4k content. At this point, it's time to call it quits and just accept the fact that HDMI is on its way out. I'll have to downscale to 2k now which is really frustrating.
post #1267 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapete View Post
... it's time to call it quits and just accept the fact that HDMI is on its way out.
Um-m-m-m... I don't agree. But, I hope you're right. And then everyone can spend more money upgrading to/on a "new and better" technology!
post #1268 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM

It already exists (DisplayPort). I'm just baffled that some TV manufacturers did not account for people who use their TVs as monitors.
post #1269 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM

Yeah, but... try to convince the manufacturers of Bluray players, AVR's, gaming systems, etc. to convert/comply.
Great for PC folks though. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, for the AV world.
post #1270 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 PM

So is this cable still the best bet for a 25ft run

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/prod...1024015&cpncd=
post #1271 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked: 2502
Quote:

You're posting the same question in multiple threads. Most of us read the same posts and will answer one, but not two.
post #1272 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Different people are subscribed to both threads and I felt my question was relevant to both threads and it's own audience.

I'm trying to collect all the data I can before I make a final decision which is totally applicable in a case where people are getting different results with the same cables.

There's also members who are very helpful but I have to question who's interest they're serving

My apologies if you had to read my question twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:

You're posting the same question in multiple threads. Most of us read the same posts and will answer one, but not two.
post #1273 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Different people are subscribed to both threads and I felt my question was relevant to both threads and it's own audience.

I'm trying to collect all the data I can before I make a final decision which is totally applicable in a case where people are getting different results with the same cables.

There's also members who are very helpful but I have to question who's interest they're serving

I would use a 15' and a 10' Monoprice certified HDMI cable with the Monoprice BlackBird HDMI 2.0 extender between them. It works.

Last edited by doctorwizz; 12-16-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #1274 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM

I wish I had that option. I'll have to move an entire in wall cabinet which I really want to avoid right now. Sigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Quote:

I would use a 15' and a 10' Monoprice certified HDMI cable with the Monoprice BlackBird HDMI 2.0 extender between them. It works.
post #1275 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:

We really are trying to help. It's just easier if we can keep it all in one post. It not only helps us and you, but others who may have the same question. I see that doctorwizz gave you some links but it sounds like you have a "construction" issue. Do you plan to lay your cable outside the wall or in-wall?
post #1276 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 05:18 PM

Completely understandable. Will try to keep it up it all in one thread.

I do have an issue with the my cabinet requiring 25ft wiring. Only about 7-8 feet of it will be in wall and the rest will run to my cabinet in an unfinished furnace room.

That monoprice cable I mentioned isn't cheap either. Its going to run me around 80-90 canadian for one 25ft cable.

Moving the cabinet will ultimately solve everything and serve as a permanent long term solution. Damn it!
post #1277 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I do have an issue with the my cabinet requiring 25ft wiring. Only about 7-8 feet of it will be in wall and the rest will run to my cabinet in an unfinished furnace room.

That monoprice cable I mentioned isn't cheap either. Its going to run me around 80-90 canadian for one 25ft cable.

Moving the cabinet will ultimately solve everything and serve as a permanent long term solution. Damn it!
If you have to go in-wall for some of the run then I'd highly suggest you use a conduit. Cable technology is going to change as the video standards increase so if you have a conduit installed for some, or all of your run, it will be so much easier to replace/upgrade your cable as needed.
post #1278 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 PM

100% I will.

What's the consensus with these hdmi cables from monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/12735

Quote:
Quote:

If you have to go in-wall for some of the run then I'd highly suggest you use a conduit. Cable technology is going to change as the video standards increase so if you have a conduit installed for some, or all of your run, it will be so much easier to replace/upgrade your cable as needed.
post #1279 of 2304 Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Some reported that they didn't work. His sales pitch was very good.
I called them and their customer service rep told me they will work as intended and that the reason for the initial failures was because of a "bad batch".

make what you want out of that lol

So I have an opportunity to ship some cables to my family who's in the Arizona right now and can bring them back next week.

So the question is what do I take my chances on with a 25 ft cable. I've elminiated them down to these 3 options. The Blue Jeans ones are way to expensive so i'm not including that in my options

Sewell Silverback S6

https://sewelldirect.com/premium-4k-hdmi-cable-25-ft-

Monoprice Commerical Silver Series

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3657

Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12735

Need to decide by this afternoon.

Thanks in advance for the input folks

Last edited by Desisuperman; 12-17-2016 at 07:01 AM.
post #1280 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM

^^^^^ bad batch my a$$. That's what a quality QA department is supposed to check for.

The monoprice cable is an 22AWG cable, which is good but it is also not very flexible due to the thickness. You'll also increase the strain somewhat on the HDMI inputs. 10.2Gbps is pretty much a standard high speed hdmi cable so if you are looking to push 4k, 4:4:4 @ 60z, you'll more than likely have some issues. Silver plated copper conductors and gold plated connectors really don't mean much in terms of performance. What it has going for it the thicker wire. It's also a passive cable.

Cabernet cable are pretty good. Lots of people seem to have good luck with them. They are active cables which means they are uni-directional so pay attention to that when installing. They imply that they are rated for up to 18Gbps but the spec don't really say that they are certified at that bandwidth. Active cables are great for longer distances but are dependent on the version of the the Redmere chipset in the sink end (tv side). The current set of chips are just starting to appear so there is no telling what version of chipset is incorporated into the cable. The chipset is necessary to extend the signal path and maintain signal integrity with error correction and other factors. Like all electronic devices, the chipset may fail over time. The cables are thinner than the above Monoprice cable so you have more flexibility but that's not always a good thing, especially if you're trying to push the higher video standards.

The Sewell cable indicates it can handle bandwidth "up to 18Gbps", what ever "up to" means but there is nothing to indicate that they have been tested and certified to pass that at the length of cable you purchased. Wire gauge is 26AWG which is a thin wire. The rest of the given specs are nothing more than the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs which most high speed hdmi cables will pass (with the exception of 18Gbps). The rest is all marketing fluff.

So, if you want to push 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz, at 25' your choices are all trial and error. I'd eliminate the Monoprice cable and pick between the Cabernet (active) or the Sewell (passive). I think you're best bet would be the Cabernet cable but again that is by no means a guarantee. Your price point is a limiting factor in that you can't go to fiber, which, in the long term would probably be your best bet.

Whatever you do, place the cable on the floor before installation and thoroughly test it out before installing.. And when you do install, use a 1.5" to 2.0" conduit if this is an in-wall installation because one, that is really the only way to "future proof" your cable installation and two, you will be swapping out cables probably sooner than later and with the use of a conduit, that makes the whole process so much easier. You might also want to run a pull-string in the conduit as well for adding additional cables later if the need arises. Oh, and be mindful of bend radius because that can also affect signal propagation especially on the thinner cables.
post #1281 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
^^^^^ bad batch my a$$. That's what a quality QA department is supposed to check for.
post #1282 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the thorough summary on those above cables Otto. It was a helpful read

I like the lifetime warranty with the monoprice Cabarnet. will let you guys know what my results are once I get everything up and running
post #1283 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Monoprice has a good return policy so just read the terms and try the cable. You may get lucky. As I said, I think the Cabernet would be your best bet out of the three. Just pay attention to your installation and bend radius. You never did say if this was an in-wall installation or not. Or did I miss that?
post #1284 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
What exact HDMI cables are you using with the BB?
20ft
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15427

combined with a 6ft
post #1285 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
That's it. I've officially lost all hope of ever viewing [email protected] with 444 using HDMI. I've tried 4 different brands and they all have their faults. These are the brands I've tried:

- Mediabridge
- Blue Jeans Cable
- KabelDirect
- Monoprice

All of the cables I've purchased are 10ft long. All suffer the same inconsistencies. My TV is a LG B6. Recently they've updated the firmware for the TV and that seemed to have rid me of flickering horizontal lines and "digital snow". However, that fix(?) brought another problem with it. Now the WHOLE screen flickers black for a second or two at random intervals. It gets excessive when scrolling through webpages.

GPU is powerful enough (GTX1070) to broadcast 4k content. At this point, it's time to call it quits and just accept the fact that HDMI is on its way out. I'll have to downscale to 2k now which is really frustrating.
I have a ton of these at home:

20ft one works for me at for 4k @ 444 @ 60hz + HDR

Had it for a few months now, works on PC/Ps4 Pro/Samsung 4k Blu-ray player, no issues.
post #1286 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Had it for a few months now, works on PC/Ps4 Pro/Samsung 4k Blu-ray player, no issues.
15' - 20' seems to be the maximum distance for reliability. Glad your cable works.
post #1287 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Maybe the fault lies in the TV's driver. Or maybe the problem is a refresh rate syncing issue with Nvidia GPUs. Or maybe I have a defective GPU, which I have no way of testing. Or maybe the GPU's HDMI input is faulty. Who knows. I'm done pondering over what's working properly and what is not. I've been tackling this absurdity for 3 months and I have not been able to identify the culprit. You win some, you lose some. At least in my case.
post #1288 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe the fault lies in the TV's driver. Or maybe the problem is a refresh rate syncing issue with Nvidia GPUs. Or maybe I have a defective GPU, which I have no way of testing. Or maybe the GPU's HDMI input is faulty. Who knows. I'm done pondering over what's working properly and what is not. I've been tackling this absurdity for 3 months and I have not been able to identify the culprit. You win some, you lose some. At least in my case.
Did you set the Power to Maximum and Disable V-Sync In Nvidia's Control Panel?
post #1289 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Strange it does not work with that setup. I have never tried the BB between the AVR and TV. Mine is between the PC and AVR. Maybe your BB is defective? Can you test it between two cables for a 4K input like a PC or UHD Bluray to AVR?
post #1290 of 2304 Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Did you set the Power to Maximum and Disable V-Sync In Nvidia's Control Panel?
Yes. In fact, these were the beginning stages of troubleshooting my problem. Had no effect whatsoever. Since you brought it up, might as well do a clean installation of Nvidia drivers. Maybe the software side of things is to blame.

EDIT: Nope. Screen still blinks.

EDIT 2: Digital snow aka small flashing white dots are back. For reference:

Although it's back, it isn't as excessive as the GIF. The above was an example with a cable from Blue Jeans Cable or Mediabridge.

Last edited by zapete; 12-17-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page