HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 343Likes

post #1321 of 2304 Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowyunfatt View Post
Well finally got my blackbird repeater and tried [email protected] 5m Kabel Direkt HDMI leads and when playing PS4 HDR Uncharted 4 the picture went black as soon as the HDR kicked in. Xbox one S with Forza in HDR played fine.

Looks like I'll just run conduit for now as my room isn't ready yet and add the fibre optic cables later, these will only get cheaper and as linked above they will only cost about £120 at the moment.
Forgot to add too that some people on here have said this combination works and looking at some comments on Amazon people have got 4k60 444 working at the same length. so it may also be due to manufacturing as well as the length, maybe some work but others don't of the same brand and type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2304 Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post
I just went to My Cable Mart's website and discovered that they are prepping the launch of new, hybrid fiber optic cables that advertise 4K/60Hz/4:4:4 support. They are discounted somewhat compared to the CelerityTek cables (~30% off). They are currently unavailable but listed as "Coming Soon". I guess I'll wait around for those since they have a pretty fair return policy. I'll let you know when they notify me they are available.
Monoprice slimrun is available for $129 (it's just that the minimum length is 75 feet).
I would prefer the Celerity style adapters as they can be replaced easily if goes bad. For the moulded cable, entire cable needs replacement.
post #1323 of 2304 Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For those that are Widescreen Review subscribers there is a good article this month about 4K UHD specs, resolutions and speeds. No list of cable recommendations but a good read. Confirms a lot of what we are dealing with here.

My Blue Jeans Cable has been rock solid.

BJBBJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 2304 Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
For those that are Widescreen Review subscribers there is a good article this month about 4K UHD specs, resolutions and speeds. No list of cable recommendations but a good read. Confirms a lot of what we are dealing with here.

My Blue Jeans Cable has been rock solid.

BJBBJB
Link ??
post #1325 of 2304 Old 01-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Link ??
You can't link to dead trees.
aaranddeeman likes this.
post #1326 of 2304 Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Link ??
I believe you need to be a subscriber to get to the online articles in the current issue.

BJBBJB
post #1327 of 2304 Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
You can't link to dead trees.
Hmmmm,very educational trees though..... 😀
Ted99 likes this.
post #1328 of 2304 Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does SewellDirect Silverback S6 give 4K @60Hz 4:4:4
They claim in their website that it will handle, but whats the fact ?
post #1329 of 2304 Old 01-04-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
Does SewellDirect Silverback S6 give 4K @60Hz 4:4:4
They claim in their website that it will handle, but whats the fact ?
I think just like others, it's going to be hit or miss. I tried a 30 footer and it couldn't pass anything above 4K 24hz but ymmv.

I now have gone to a 10' Monoprice certified cable --> Blackbird Repeater --> 20' MP certified and it has worked flawlessly.
post #1330 of 2304 Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I think just like others, it's going to be hit or miss. I tried a 30 footer and it couldn't pass anything above 4K 24hz but ymmv.

I now have gone to a 10' Monoprice certified cable --> Blackbird Repeater --> 20' MP certified and it has worked flawlessly.
Thanks for the info, am going with Celerity Fiber HDMI.
I think thats the only one which passed all tests on Long runs (above 30Ft).
post #1331 of 2304 Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapete View Post
Yes. In fact, these were the beginning stages of troubleshooting my problem. Had no effect whatsoever. Since you brought it up, might as well do a clean installation of Nvidia drivers. Maybe the software side of things is to blame.

EDIT: Nope. Screen still blinks.

EDIT 2: Digital snow aka small flashing white dots are back. For reference:

Although it's back, it isn't as excessive as the GIF. The above was an example with a cable from Blue Jeans Cable or Mediabridge.
same problem here on kabeldirekt pro 5m
post #1332 of 2304 Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post
I just went to My Cable Mart's website and discovered that they are prepping the launch of new, hybrid fiber optic cables that advertise 4K/60Hz/4:4:4 support. They are discounted somewhat compared to the CelerityTek cables (~30% off). They are currently unavailable but listed as "Coming Soon". I guess I'll wait around for those since they have a pretty fair return policy. I'll let you know when they notify me they are available.
I just got my update notice. It looks like these will ship on 1/25. Head on over to their storefront and take a look. It looks like the the USB power on the display end is not removable. Its not that you'd want to, but it does make the cable look a little cheaper. But if you have to have this tech, saving 30% might be worth it.

BenQ HT2550 / Silver Ticket STR-169110
Denon AVR-X4400H
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.0
HTD HDX-R65 (x4)
SVS PB-1000 (x2)
post #1333 of 2304 Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
It looks like the CelerityTek cables HDMI attachment/USB cable from the optic cable (as jugsta just pointed out) is permanently attached to the HDMI head? My reason for asking is the USB cable attached to the HDMI head is only 19 inches. I have a JVC projector which doesn't have a USB port, so I would have to run the USB cable back up to the attic and plug it into the electrical adapter and plug that into an existing outlet in the attic. I have the HDbaseT receiver in the attic with the USB type plug in....but that allows me to run a longer HDMI cable from the receiver through the ceiling into the back of the projector. (which that run is longer than 19 inches).

One other option is adding an HDMI extension to the end of the celeritytrek hdmi head and run another cable to the projector....but I'm a littler afraid the signal might be compromised btw the HDMI extension plug and the "add-on" HDMI cable now running to the projector.

Ron
post #1334 of 2304 Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I have 2 35' Cabernet cables working in my system now. I just took delivery of a 30' Cabernet cable that failed the 18ghz sweep test and indeed will not pass video to the sink, a Lumagen Pro.
FOLLOW UP!

Monoprice sent a 30' replacement cable. Upon testing, this cable also failed the 18ghz interrogation. The raster on the test device was also flickering as if the cable was dropping frames. I made Monoprice aware of this and was told they would check their stock. This cable length was on sale for a while as I guess they were overstocked and were dumping. The tech at Monoprice stated this length cable should have the same chipset and firmware as the 35' cables I have been using for months. I am returning the 30' for refund. I may try the 25' as I'm sure I could manage with that length.

John

post #1335 of 2304 Old 01-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapete View Post
Yes. In fact, these were the beginning stages of troubleshooting my problem. Had no effect whatsoever. Since you brought it up, might as well do a clean installation of Nvidia drivers. Maybe the software side of things is to blame.

EDIT: Nope. Screen still blinks.

EDIT 2: Digital snow aka small flashing white dots are back. For reference:

Although it's back, it isn't as excessive as the GIF. The above was an example with a cable from Blue Jeans Cable or Mediabridge.
I am using AudioQuest Pearl HDMI cables, and am using with my Oppo 203 which out puts 4:4:4, 10 bit deep color to my XBR75940C.

These cables are directional...

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #1336 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
This whole cable situation has kept me from buying a new projector. I am not spending 5K on a new machine to be frustrated over a 30 foot run of HDMI cable that may or may not work. This is really sad consumers are faced with this potential problem. You would link the JVC's of the world would pressure to get standards in this regard so the cables are ahead of the projectors and not the other way around.
therecanbeonly1 likes this.
post #1337 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
This whole cable situation has kept me from buying a new projector. I am not spending 5K on a new machine to be frustrated over a 30 foot run of HDMI cable that may or may not work. This is really sad consumers are faced with this potential problem. You would link the JVC's of the world would pressure to get standards in this regard so the cables are ahead of the projectors and not the other way around.
I am in the same boat. my room is pretty much complete except for carpet install & running HDMI & subwoofer cables. I have not bought any equipment yet -mainly because of this whole 4K-HDMI fiasco. Not sure I want to get a projector now ( if I do it will be for 1080P only I guess) or just install a big TV for now and wait. I know a bit about this stuff but a lot is over my head and really don't understand the half of it when trying to achieve 4K UHD through projector. My HDMI run would be 35ft. so that leaves me out basically anyways. I have no clue which HDMI cable to get. so many names thrown around. Maybe wait a few years and then cables will be sorted out for long runs and players will drop in price even more. Also have room set up for 9.2.6. Again receivers aren't there yet. I could live with 7.2.4 for now. Bad time to have a movie room ready I guess- since so many new formats are coming into play and the hardware is simply not there yet 100%.
post #1338 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
I agree with Ming's statement above.The connection technology is still way behind the video technology for those long runs (>20' or so), unless you want to go with a fiber optic cable, but then the cost may be prohibitive for some. Even that's not 100% guaranteed (close though).
post #1339 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 345
'Long' HDMI cables (which worked) were pricey, with relatively few choices when HDMI first appeared.

John Dawson (Arcam) was the first person I saw showing off the new fangled 'future', - I when straight back to the office and phoned Molex (co developers of HDMI) 2m was all they could offer.

The Celerity Tek Detachable Fibre cables are not that much more costly than folk were paying for 'hose pipe' 15m HDMI cables back when it first launched - many of which are still working today!

CAT6 is the alternative and though HDBT (and other) 'over CAT' Extenders lack 4:4:4 at 2160p60 I do wonder if that is a 'real' issue for a lot of folk when you can achieve 4:2:0 at 2160p60 and at a later date update the Extender set (assuming you don't want to/can't run a Fibre HDMI cable).

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #1340 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

I can get up to 4K60 4:2:0 with a 30' Monoprice Luxe cable. 4:4:4 isn't going to happen with it, though. Someone had mentioned that the PlugLug 25' cable on Amazon would work and that was my experience as well.... too bad I need to make it 30 feet. I thought getting a PlugLug 25' cable + Monoprice BlackBird Repeater + 6' cable would work, but nope. Like the last 2 Monoproce cables I bought, the Blackbird repeater did not work as advertised, either. It just can't make it that extra 6 ft. I did have intermittent luck by putting the repeater at the beginning of the chain (6' cable -> repeater -> 25' cable), but it worked about 1-2 times before I could never get it to work again. I could see it struggling with the handshake. Although, eventually it wouldn't even pass a 4K60 4:2:0 signal with the repeater in the chain (and it wouldn't work at all with an active HDMI cable anywhere in the chain). I would've tried another MP Blackbird repeater, but given that I'm 0/3 with Monoprice I gave up....
post #1341 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I can get up to 4K60 4:2:0 with a 30' Monoprice Luxe cable. 4:4:4 isn't going to happen with it, though. Someone had mentioned that the PlugLug 25' cable on Amazon would work and that was my experience as well.... too bad I need to make it 30 feet. I thought getting a PlugLug 25' cable + Monoprice BlackBird Repeater + 6' cable would work, but nope. Like the last 2 Monoproce cables I bought, the Blackbird repeater did not work as advertised, either. It just can't make it that extra 6 ft. I did have intermittent luck by putting the repeater at the beginning of the chain (6' cable -> repeater -> 25' cable), but it worked about 1-2 times before I could never get it to work again. I could see it struggling with the handshake. Although, eventually it wouldn't even pass a 4K60 4:2:0 signal with the repeater in the chain (and it wouldn't work at all with an active HDMI cable anywhere in the chain). I would've tried another MP Blackbird repeater, but given that I'm 0/3 with Monoprice I gave up....
I have been running a 20' Mono Cert cable - Blackbird - 15' Mono cert cable for the past 2 weeks. I have been able to run 4K/4:4:4 at 60 without any challenges. I have waited to run this combo in the ceiling to make sure it continues to work. Do the work once as they say. I too tried the Luxe 30' and it worked for me for me about 3 times, then crapped out. Pretty much worthless in my application. Long runs suck for HDMI.. I just don't/haven't seen anything yet that will reliably go for 25 plus feet each and every time you turn it on. Tech needs to catch up with how people want to use it.. Good luck, and please post if you find a solution that works, you're not alone...
post #1342 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has been said before, the cables from KabelDirekt are fairly good... I've got a 12.5m (40ft) cable, I've been able to get 2160p60 4:4:4 without any issues... some people have reported that they send 1-2 back and repurchase until they get one that does 2160p60 4:4:4, but the first one I got works...

if only my damn Pioneer SC-LX89 would not downsample 4:4:4 at 2160p60, I'd be fine...
post #1343 of 2304 Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO69 View Post
I have been running a 20' Mono Cert cable - Blackbird - 15' Mono cert cable for the past 2 weeks. I have been able to run 4K/4:4:4 at 60 without any challenges. I have waited to run this combo in the ceiling to make sure it continues to work. Do the work once as they say. I too tried the Luxe 30' and it worked for me for me about 3 times, then crapped out. Pretty much worthless in my application. Long runs suck for HDMI.. I just don't/haven't seen anything yet that will reliably go for 25 plus feet each and every time you turn it on. Tech needs to catch up with how people want to use it.. Good luck, and please post if you find a solution that works, you're not alone...
I would love to give that config a shot.... I might have to give Monoprice another chance, but it's just so hard given all the issues I've had. It does seem like the Blackbird I have actually does not work with 4K60 4:4:4, but who knows if it actually isn't working or if it's the 25ft cable length? Maybe I'll order the 20' and 10' Mono cert cable and give the Blackbird another shot before sending it back.
post #1344 of 2304 Old 01-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
SIAP, but I was told when looking for certified slim cables about these guys:

http://www.scpcat5e.com/hdmi-c-395/h...c-395_114_408/

I have some on order because I miss using my Monoprice redmere that caused issues with my UHD setup and I went back to the larger Blue Jean Cable stuff I already had. I have some tight bends so I really prefer slim cables. You can't order directly from them, but I sent them an email and a dealer contacted me in 1-2 hours. Pricing is not bad IMO.
post #1345 of 2304 Old 01-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I've been eagerly following the thread to see what cables were working for folks at lengths over 30' as I've been struggling to get a true 4:4:4 4k60 passed from my PC to my two Samsung 4k TVs via my Denon AVR-X4200W receiver.

Like most, I had no issue getting 4:2:0 4k60 passed with my existing cables (which were all pretty new), but the full 4:4:4 was just not happening over anything more than 15'. Today I received a variety of cables and lengths to test out, along with a Monoprice Blackbird repeater. Here's what happened:

Tested new 30' Monoprice Cabernet active HDMI cable directly from PC to TV = working at full 4:4:4 4k60! Plugged the cabernet into HDMI out 1, plugged PC into Denon with Cable Matters slim 6' HDMI = max 4:2:0 (no 4:4:4). Proceeded to add a 6' HDMI before the 30' MP Cabernet and joined with BB repeater = no 4:4:4. So while the 30' would work directly from PC to TV, I cannot get it to play nice when mixed with the receiver.

I then tested two 15' KabelDirekt HDMI cables, connected with the MP Blackbird repeater and plugged into the HDMI 1 out on the receiver. This was a success, pushing the full 4:4:4 4k60 down the 30' cable to the TV (while also feeding the same signal from the receiver's HDMI 2 to my other TV/monitor down another 15' KabelDirekt HDMI). I did have to swap out the PC HMDI cable from the slim Cable Matters to a 6' KabelDirekt with this setup. While the older, Cable Matters cable does work for the second monitor, which is only on a 15' run, it would not work with the longer run.

My take is that there is a pretty hard stop at 15 feet for full 4:4:4, or at least has been my experience. I know others are reporting success on longer runs, but all my testing seems to hit the wall if I go over 15' (and that includes Source to Receiver cable lengths included in the overall calculation), where things start to get really finicky.

Hopefully the 15'->BB repeater->15' setup will continue to work (will test for a week or two before I go pulling cables again), but that seems to be the only way I can get things working properly.

A question for the group: what source material actually plays at 4:4:4? My research seems to indicate that Blu-ray and UHD BD only do 4:2:0, and while my PC's GPU does full 4:4:4, it appears that consumer grade GPUs are limited to only 8bpc (I hear the Titan does 10bpc+, but not my GTX1080), so I don't know of a way to test full 4:4:4 10bpc with any gear. Likewise, the Xbox One S does only 4:2:0 and 10bpc (which was interesting since I was getting partial success with the Xbox One S when testing 4k, but that seems to be due to it not being 4:4:4. I see mention about the Opposite UHD-203 doing 4:4:4, but for what purpose (since UHD is only 4:2:0)?? Am I missing something? Are we all chasing a resolution that, frankly, just doesn't exist in source material?
post #1346 of 2304 Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ok, spoke a little too soon. I tried playing a UHD movie through the Xbox One S and the 15'->Blackbird repeater->15' will not provide an image (and it also causes my second 4k monitor with only a 15' cable to black out as well).

Sigh.

Last edited by martinm0; 01-09-2017 at 06:16 PM.
post #1347 of 2304 Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildonrio View Post
I have a 4K LG TV. It came with a 10ft HDMI a cable that supports [email protected] in 4:4:4 chroma and in Deep Color (are those the same?).

Now I need an HDMI cable with the same specs but at 15ft instead. I am failing. I'm on my 8th cable now and nothing works. The descriptions of these cables are all deceptive.

Does anyone have a 15ft+ cable that they use that supports these features?
with hdmi 2.0 you can work With a maximum cable length of 2 meters!
according to experts and AMD ( video card )

i have OLED deep coler not work good with oled tv 4:4:4 8 bit
might phosphorescent color without depth and without details, it is a problem in OLED
all receivers can transmit HDMI 2.0 standard 24BIT in 4: 4: 4
post #1348 of 2304 Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You all should look at the various cables offered through AudioQuest...

http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/vodka

There's a description of each type of cable and it's construction and how the various types of loss and interference affect the signal.

They are pricey, but they are quality cables. For longer lengths, they are good cables.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #1349 of 2304 Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post

There's a description of each type of cable and it's construction and how the various types of loss and interference affect the signal.

They are pricey, but they are quality cables. For longer lengths, they are good cables.
Quote:
ETHERNET AND AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL ENABLED: All AudioQuest HDMI cables up to 10 meters are rated High Speed with Ethernet. From 12 meters to 20 meters AudioQuest HDMI cables are Standard Speed with Ethernet.
So for $2,000 I can get a AudioQuest Coffee 12m, for $440 AudioQuest Cinnamon 12m, $330 AudioQuest Forest 12m, $2,400 AudioQuest Vodka 12m, $10,200 AudioQuest Diamond 12m...
since they are 12 meters they will only be tested for Standard Speed with Ethernet which is 4.92Gbps, so I have no assurance that it will run 2160p60 4:4:4, I don't even get that assurance with shorter cables, since they only test them for high speed which is 10.2Gbps... they don't even test 18gbps

I bought a 12.5m KabelDirekt Top series for $21... they also don't check every cable for 18gbps, if the cable doesn't support 18gbps, I can simply return it and get another one....
the first one I got can do 2160p60 4:4:4... so I saved between 310 and 10,180 Dollars...

Companies like AudioQuest are horrible....

Please never ever buy from companies like that..
post #1350 of 2304 Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post

AudioQuest are like Monster. The cost is not justifiable. HDMI cables with ethernet means absolutely nothing because there aren't any consumer devices that take advantage of the ethernet channel. It's all marketing b.s. You can get just as good cables for a lot less money.
netroamer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page