HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 343Likes

post #1381 of 2304 Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 435
In the Oppo 203 owner's thread (post #7523) @Bob Pariseau explained why HDMI cables that are TOO SHORT can cause dropout problems. As we all have learned, our devices have different gains for HDMI in and out ports. This lack of standardization means that a nominal length of 2m. or about 6 feet was settled on as a median point for attenuation estimates. Cables shorter than that could overload a device's HDMI in port. I have been using a 1.5' BJC Series 1 HDMI cable from the Blu Ray player to the Marantz 7702 MkII. I did this for two reasons: 1) Habit from the analog dictum that shorter is better and 2) minimizing cable clutter in the rack. I have been getting an occasional mysterious audio and visual dropout for about 5 sec in ordinary Blu ray playback and I wonder if this was the source. I'm going to deal with this problem by using 5' 18Gbps cables tie-wrapped in a small circle when I have only a short run in the rack. I'm assuming that the extra attenuation from the 6" radius "bend" will approximate the attenuation of a 2m cable and also serve to reduce dangling cables.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2304 Old 01-15-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 2395
^^^^ where did you get certified 18Gbps cables and why do you need 18Gbps? Tie-wrapping 5' cables will put extra weight strain on the HDMI inputs. I've used ATC certified 10' or less High Speed HDMI cables for years with blu-ray and other devices without any issues.
post #1383 of 2304 Old 01-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisaudio View Post
I don't think it's a fiber related issue. Somewhere, the fiber still needs to be converted back to copper for the HDMi connection. I'm not sold on the endpoints. The fiber is only as good as the endpoints. I have a video showing the test. I will post a link later.
You may have a point on the connectors but what can you do? This whole connection technology is really becoming a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 2304 Old 01-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I will be doing more testing tomorrow on this piece. I have a couple of calls into Quantum Data regarding what we are seeing and why.
Venicenerd likes this.
post #1385 of 2304 Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Disappointed to report that I am having an issue with a 50 foot Celerity cable. Unfortunately I am experiencing white specs on all of my sources. The effect (if you want to call it that) almost looks like glitter or a shimmering. It is pretty difficult to detect (only apparent on dark/solid screens, specifically black). Regardless, its not something I want to keep.

I haven't yet done the troubleshooting to try and correct it (plug in source side USB power, turn off video conversion on the AVR) as I worked all weekend trying to get some overheard speakers installed. I'm starting to think the Pioneer receiver is, at least, contributing to the problem. It wouldn't surprise me at it has quite a few other little issues.

BenQ HT2550 / Silver Ticket STR-169110
Denon AVR-X4400H
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.0
HTD HDX-R65 (x4)
SVS PB-1000 (x2)
post #1386 of 2304 Old 01-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post
Disappointed to report that I am having an issue with a 50 foot Celerity cable. Unfortunately I am experiencing white specs on all of my sources. The effect (if you want to call it that) almost looks like glitter or a shimmering. It is pretty difficult to detect (only apparent on dark/solid screens, specifically black). Regardless, its not something I want to keep.

I haven't yet done the troubleshooting to try and correct it (plug in source side USB power, turn off video conversion on the AVR) as I worked all weekend trying to get some overheard speakers installed. I'm starting to think the Pioneer receiver is, at least, contributing to the problem. It wouldn't surprise me at it has quite a few other little issues.
That's what we call sparkles and it is indicative of poor signal quality. I'm disappointed to see another post about the Celerity cable failing but it seems that they too appear to have a distance limitation as well, even though they generally seem to perform better than copper-based wire.
post #1387 of 2304 Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
So its true you shouldn't use a HDMI cable less than 6 ft, you would think as long as HDMI has been out drop out problems shouldn't be a problem with a descent price cable!!
post #1388 of 2304 Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^^ where did you get certified 18Gbps cables and why do you need 18Gbps? Tie-wrapping 5' cables will put extra weight strain on the HDMI inputs. I've used ATC certified 10' or less High Speed HDMI cables for years with blu-ray and other devices without any issues.
I have BJC series FE, BJC Series 1, Oppo 203-supplied and Monoprice. They are 18 Gpbs capable in certain lengths, as well as many others are now available. A looped and tie-wrapped 5' cable doesn't put any greater strain on a connector than a 5' dangling-in-a-loop cable as the weight is the same. A shorter cable is lighter, but for the reasons described, HDMI cables shorter than 6' CAN cause problems. The current UHD standard of 4:2:0, 30 Hz, 10-bit can pass through most 10' or less ATC certified High speed cables. An example is the Samsung 4K UHD Blu ray player. It's menu screen is 4:4:4 60K 12-bit, but the movie is 4:2:0 24 Hz, 10-bit and the older Hi-speed HDMI cables can pass the movie, but not the menu screen. If you are sending 4:4:4, 60Hz, 12-bit info one will need a cable rated to pass 18 Gpbs. The JVC 4K PJ, and UHD Blu ray player threads are replete with reports of the failure of the older HDMI cables to pass signals and the need to upgrade to HDMI Institute-certified UHD cables.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #1389 of 2304 Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post

Quote:
That's what we call sparkles and it is indicative of poor signal quality. I'm disappointed to see another post about the Celerity cable failing but it seems that they too appear to have a distance limitation as well, even though they generally seem to perform better than copper-based wire.
I hooked up the power on the transmit end which seems to have improved things quite a bit. I believe the only time I'm seeing them now is when I'm transitioning back and forth between the media (BD and Videogames) and PS4 Pro interface. I've had a brief cut-out and a few sparkles when doing that but, overall- a large improvement. I guess this will have to do until something better comes along. This seems to suggest that the HDMI out on the Pioneer is probably contributing to the problem. I already suspected that because my old active cable worked when going directly from the PS4 Pro to the TV.

On a positive note. I just did 7.1.4 atmos for the first time (Mad Max). It was glorious.

BenQ HT2550 / Silver Ticket STR-169110
Denon AVR-X4400H
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.0
HTD HDX-R65 (x4)
SVS PB-1000 (x2)
post #1390 of 2304 Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
So its true you shouldn't use a HDMI cable less than 6 ft, you would think as long as HDMI has been out drop out problems shouldn't be a problem with a descent price cable!!
I don't know if that's completely true. I've used cables less than 6' with no issues.
Ratman likes this.
post #1391 of 2304 Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I have BJC series FE, BJC Series 1, Oppo 203-supplied and Monoprice. They are 18 Gpbs capable in certain lengths, as well as many others are now available. A looped and tie-wrapped 5' cable doesn't put any greater strain on a connector than a 5' dangling-in-a-loop cable as the weight is the same. A shorter cable is lighter, but for the reasons described, HDMI cables shorter than 6' CAN cause problems. The current UHD standard of 4:2:0, 30 Hz, 10-bit can pass through most 10' or less ATC certified High speed cables. An example is the Samsung 4K UHD Blu ray player. It's menu screen is 4:4:4 60K 12-bit, but the movie is 4:2:0 24 Hz, 10-bit and the older Hi-speed HDMI cables can pass the movie, but not the menu screen. If you are sending 4:4:4, 60Hz, 12-bit info one will need a cable rated to pass 18 Gpbs. The JVC 4K PJ, and UHD Blu ray player threads are replete with reports of the failure of the older HDMI cables to pass signals and the need to upgrade to HDMI Institute-certified UHD cables.
Glad to hear that you don't have any "weight strain" issues looping the cable. Good to know. ATC certified cables (HDMI Licensing) are probably the best assurance, but not 100%, that the cable is going to meet your needs if your length is under about 20' - 25'. I don't believe that ATC's certify longer than 25', but I'd have to go back and check. As long as the cable has the counterfeit-proof label that guarantees its authenticity, one should be fine. The nice thing about ATC certification is that they are not cable mfr dependent, so you can have ATC certified cables from various mfrs and still be relatively assured that the certification protocols were the same.
post #1392 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So what the consensus on the 20ft certified premium HDMI cables from Monoprice?

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pro...goryid=1024021

I'm thinking of placing the one connect for my Samsung TV in-wall to shorten the length of the HDMI cables. Of course I'll have to build an access point which will be a bit of an eye sore at first but I'm sure after a while I won't even notice it.

Thoughts?
post #1393 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post

I'm thinking of placing the one connect for my Samsung TV in-wall to shorten the length of the HDMI cables. Of course I'll have to build an access point which will be a bit of an eye sore at first but I'm sure after a while I won't even notice it.

Thoughts?
I'm currently testing out two 15' connected with a Blackbird to make a 30' run from my Denon to my JVC 4k projector and so far this combo is working pretty well. The image syncs pretty quickly and seems to hold when coming from my PS4 (connected to the Denon with a 6').

Still need to watch more with it to see how stable it is, but I'm hopeful.

They are pretty thick cables with little flexibility at the ends, but they have a nice tight fit.
post #1394 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thoughts?
I've tried various cables with a PS4 Pro running 2160p 60Hz YUV420 and RGB444. My original 20ft HDMI cable from 2008 actually came close to working with YUV420 but there were a few sparkles and switching into HDR (10bit) caused it to go black screen.

4ft Ultra Slim High Speed from Monoprice from PS4 to Receiver caused occasional to frequent flashing, resolved by replacing it with a 3ft Premium Certified cable from Monoprice.

35ft Cabernet Active cable from Monoprice worked with YUV420 HDR but black screened with RGB 444.

30ft FusionHD from Amazon showed a screen but with constant half screen flashes of white.

20ft Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI worked with full RGB 444. However adding an in wall Female-Female HDMI connector (no tail) and 3ft Premium Certified HDMI cable resulted in very occassional white flashes and barely visible sparkles on black areas. Extremely close to acceptable but not quite perfect.

Since I need at least 23 ft between receiver and TV I've ordered a 25ft Belden BJC Series-1 cable and will try that. Will update when I have results (due 1/24).

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray Player
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1395 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
An example is the Samsung 4K UHD Blu ray player. It's menu screen is 4:4:4 60K 12-bit, but the movie is 4:2:0 24 Hz, 10-bit and the older Hi-speed HDMI cables can pass the movie, but not the menu screen. If you are sending 4:4:4, 60Hz, 12-bit info one will need a cable rated to pass 18 Gpbs.
They've fixed the menu screen on the UBD-K8500. When I connected my old cable it worked mostly until I tried to play a 4K HDR Movie (about 12Gb/s bandwidth) at which point it black-screened so the menu bandwidth is lower than 12Gb/s.

RGB444 8 bit is 17.8Gb/s so 12 bit is going to be way beyond 18Gb/s. The PS4 Pro automatically switches to YUV420 when playing HDR (10 bit) games. It's hard enough finding a cable that will do RGB 444 2160p60 at 8 bits let alone 10 or even 12.
Ted99 likes this.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1396 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
A 20' passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cable, ATC certified, should work if the run is fairly straight and the bend radius is not bad. I say should work because 20' seems to be limit for some setups when pushing 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz. Lay it out on the floor first before installing to test it out thoroughly if your installation is in-wall (in which case you should be using a conduit).
post #1397 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 8
4k/60p HDMI solution

Quote:
The Luxe cable states 4k/60Hz @ 18Gbps up to 50' so it would appear that the 50' active cable may work. The WallMount cable just states that it exceeds 10.2Gbps so I wouldn't consider them equivalent based on their market-speak. However, we get back to the certification question. Neither cable mentions anything at all about how their speed claims are substantiated so without a certificate of compliance for the cable length you purchased it may work reliably or not. I would feel more comfortable with the Monoprice cable, but thoroughly test it before installation.

Now whether it will work or not I think depends upon the strength of the HDMI signal it is sending . For example , I just tried the Mono Price Luxe HDMI at a length of 35ft and it would carry 4k/24p or 4k/30p signal but not a 4k/60p which is the same problem I had with the 35 ft Monoprice Cabernet Redmere cable I had hooked up before. What I need so I can see the Menu in the Samsung 4KUHD player at start up is to be able to pass a 4k/60p signal- I have the Samsung HDMI signal running directly out to my JVC projector. Now I also have another 35 ft Cabernet Redmere HDMI cable coming out of my DVDO iScanMini, which is receiving the signal from my Pioneer 4k receiver to the iScan Mini to the JVC RS 400 projector and this signal will pass a 4k/60p signal? So the DVDO iScan Mini must be sending out a stronger signal to the HDMI cable than the Samsung is ?? Now last night I just tried a 20 ft Monoprice 4k certified cable and a 15 ft 4k certified cable and connected the 2 with the new Monoprice Blackbird 4k/60p extender and it is working and sending a 4k/60p signal. So I can now finally see the Menu at start up on the 4k Samsung 8500 UHD player. NOW note I just hooked this up last night so I haven't tried it out but 2 times, so I don't know how stable and reliable it is but for now it is a much cheaper solution than paying $300 or more for a HDMI optical cable. NOTE also the 20 ft certified cable is a lot thicker than the 15 ft certified cable, so maybe two 20 ft runs would work just as well.

Last edited by CmiBobby; 01-20-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: add more info
post #1398 of 2304 Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmiBobby View Post
Now whether it will work or not I think depends upon the strength of the HDMI signal it is sending . For example , I just tried the Mono Price Luxe HDMI at a length of 35ft and it would carry 4k/24p or 4k/30p signal but not a 4k/60p which is the same problem I had with the 35 ft Monoprice Cabernet Redmere cable I had hooked up before. What I need so I can see the Menu in the Samsung 4KUHD player at start up is to be able to pass a 4k/60p signal- I have the Samsung HDMI signal running directly out to my JVC projector. Now I also have another 35 ft Cabernet Redmere HDMI cable coming out of my DVDO iScanMini, which is receiving the signal from my Pioneer 4k receiver to the iScan Mini to the JVC RS 400 projector and this signal will pass a 4k/60p signal? So the DVDO iScan Mini must be sending out a stronger signal to the HDMI cable than the Samsung is ?? Now last night I just tried a 20 ft Monoprice 4k certified cable and a 15 ft 4k certified cable and connected the 2 with the new Monoprice Blackbird 4k/60p extender and it is working and sending a 4k/60p signal. So I can now finally see the Menu at start up on the 4k Samsung 8500 UHD player. NOW note I just hooked this up last night so I haven't tried it out but 2 times, so I don't know how stable and reliable it is but for now it is a much cheaper solution than paying $300 or more for a HDMI optical cable. NOTE also the 20 ft certified cable is a lot thicker than the 15 ft certified cable, so maybe two 20 ft runs would work just as well.
Just keep in mind that anytime you introduce a "break" in the chain, in other words an extender, all bets are off. Some cables will handle that better than others. As we have been saying all along, it's a crap shoot at this point in time. If you can get it to work that's great, but not everyone can. A thicker gauge cable is always best but then you lose flexibility and increase the possibility of strain on the input.
Ted99 likes this.
post #1399 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmiBobby View Post
It sounds like we're having the same issue. I cannot see the Oppo UDP-203 menu via the Monoprice Luxe at 35 ft. If price was no object, what 35 ft. runs out there would meet our needs? Obviously, I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but I'd like to know if there are ANY 35 ft. solutions that would work.

I posted the below in it's own thread, but it appears I should have posted it here. Here's my original post reposted here:

Long Run HDMI Cable Recommendation
Hello.

I was referred to this forum, I believe, to ask for a recommendation for a long run HDMI cable that will support my current media room configuration, which is:

LG OLED65E6P
Marantz SR7010
Oppo UDP-203
Oppo BDP-103
Amazon Fire TV
Verizon FiOS

Presently, I have the following cables between the source devices and the AVR:

Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable, HDR, 6ft - Black
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428

I also have a this cable running from the AVR to the display:

Monoprice Luxe Series CL3 Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 35ft
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

However, the above is not Certified Premium, and apparently is not not possible to find long runs certified as such.

I have had some issues like not being able to get a signal from the Oppo UDP-203 when loaded to the menu screen with the display set to Deep Color On, yet it plays a 4K UHD and receives a signal when auto-loaded, video ghosting in small amounts, and random, infrequent audio dropouts.

However, on Blue Jean Cables they make it sound like a cabling issue is a fairly all or nothing type deal. These issues don't seem like that. Yet, I would like the peace of mind that comes with Certified Premium, so I am looking for recommendation on the most future proof, cost effective way to do one or two longer HDMI runs to my display that will mitigate these issues. Basically, I'd like to find a 35 ft. run I can be assured is Certified Premium even if the packaging itself doesn't say so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Paul Arnette; 01-22-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #1400 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Premium High Speed HDMI cables (ATC certified, QR code)) are currently only certified up to 25' (and that's not a 100% guarantee that it will work with your setup). Anything beyond that a cable may or may not work regardless of the mfr.'s claim. It's all trial and error depending on your setup, devices, length of run, HDMI chipsets involved, etc. There are no guarantees. A lot of folks are having good luck with a fiber optic cable (Celerity comes to mind) but even that is not 100% guaranteed. Video technology has far outpaced connection technology so far. Wire gauge has a part to play as well. The thicker the wire the better your chances are but the tradeoff is loss of flexibility and increased strain on the HDMI inputs.
post #1401 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I need a 40' run (already have conduit in the walls, with 2 or 3 turns). Is this still just a matter of trial and error to get a 4k 60hz HDR signal with longer runs? This thread is pretty long, and I'm just wondering what my best bet is. Thinner the cord the better, as it will make it easier to run through the conduit.

I did a search on Amazon, and saw cables from a company called Starrise. Anyone on here give these a shot yet?
post #1402 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectedDust View Post
I need a 40' run (already have conduit in the walls, with 2 or 3 turns). Is this still just a matter of trial and error to get a 4k 60hz HDR signal with longer runs? This thread is pretty long, and I'm just wondering what my best bet is. Thinner the cord the better, as it will make it easier to run through the conduit.

I did a search on Amazon, and saw cables from a company called Starrise. Anyone on here give these a shot yet?
At 40', pretty much trial and error regardless of mfr claims. A lot of folks are having good luck with a fiber optic cable like Celerity. You could also try solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCS and NOT CAT-6 ethernet patch cable) and then use some sort of active termination like HDBT.
post #1403 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Premium High Speed HDMI cables (ATC certified, QR code)) are currently only certified up to 25' (and that's not a 100% guarantee that it will work with your setup). Anything beyond that a cable may or may not work regardless of the mfr.'s claim. It's all trial and error depending on your setup, devices, length of run, HDMI chipsets involved, etc. There are no guarantees. A lot of folks are having good luck with a fiber optic cable (Celerity comes to mind) but even that is not 100% guaranteed. Video technology has far outpaced connection technology so far. Wire gauge has a part to play as well. The thicker the wire the better your chances are but the tradeoff is loss of flexibility and increased strain on the HDMI inputs.
Thanks for this. I didn't expect to be in such relatively uncharted waters. Has anyone had luck with these Monoprice cables, which I thought were expensive until you mentioned Celerity, or would that just be a waste of time?

SlimRun™ AV Cable for HDMI® Enabled Devices, 75ft

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13700

SlimRun™ AV CL2 Rated Cable for HDMI® Enabled Devices, 75ft

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14317

I guess I'll do my part and report back my findings after trial and error.
post #1404 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post
Thanks for this. I didn't expect to be in such relatively uncharted waters. Has anyone had luck with these Monoprice cables, which I thought were expensive until you mentioned Celerity, or would that just be a waste of time?

4k/UHD HDR above 25' is definitely uncharted waters. Those are active cables. The only difference is that one is fire rated for in-wall use (CL2). SlimRun is an optical equivalent that does not require an external power source, just like copper-based active cables. 4k and UHD are almost interchangeable terms but nothing is mentioned about HDR (wider color space/more colors and better contrast between light and dark images) in the cable specs. UHD doesn't always mean HDR.

All you can do is try and keep your receipts. Lay the cable out on the floor before installing and thoroughly test it before installing. Keep in mind your bend radius. Optical is sometimes not as forgiving as copper.
post #1405 of 2304 Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4k/UHD HDR above 25' is definitely uncharted waters. Those are active cables. The only difference is that one is fire rated for in-wall use (CL2). SlimRun is an optical equivalent that does not require an external power source, just like copper-based active cables. 4k and UHD are almost interchangeable terms but nothing is mentioned about HDR (wider color space/more colors and better contrast between light and dark images) in the cable specs. UHD doesn't always mean HDR.

All you can do is try and keep your receipts. Lay the cable out on the floor before installing and thoroughly test it before installing. Keep in mind your bend radius. Optical is sometimes not as forgiving as copper.
Thanks. I was able to find a Celerity Technologies 35 ft. HDMI cable on eBay for a "reasonable" price, so I am going to try that. I'll report back.
post #1406 of 2304 Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I tried a SlimRun 75' and I couldn't get any 4k signal with my setup. Monoprice was good and paid return shipping.

I've tried several others as well (Cabernet did not work for me at 35', Luxe sort of did).

What's currently working for me is two certified Monoprice 15' cables connected with a Blackbird. This is working for my PS4 Pro 4k and Samsung UHD Bluray, both connected through my Denon AVR. All connecting cables are Monoprice certified cables as well. So far reasonably quick image sync when switching sources and formats and a stable picture.

I hope it keeps working.
mikela likes this.
post #1407 of 2304 Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray View Post
I tried a SlimRun 75' and I couldn't get any 4k signal with my setup. Monoprice was good and paid return shipping.

I've tried several others as well (Cabernet did not work for me at 35', Luxe sort of did).

What's currently working for me is two certified Monoprice 15' cables connected with a Blackbird. This is working for my PS4 Pro 4k and Samsung UHD Bluray, both connected through my Denon AVR. All connecting cables are Monoprice certified cables as well. So far reasonably quick image sync when switching sources and formats and a stable picture.

I hope it keeps working.
Based on your recommendation I ordered the Blackbird and will give it a try. Expected to arrive Tomorrow. Blue Jeans cable was delayed so I won't get that until tomorrow. Like others have said before I've concluded that any single run over 25ft is unlikely to work in RGB 444 no matter what you pay or what the manufacturer claims.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1408 of 2304 Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I was able to find a Celerity Technologies 35 ft. HDMI cable on eBay for a "reasonable" price, so I am going to try that. I'll report back.
I'm always a little leery of purchasing anything off of eBay. You just never know if it's the real deal or not. Good luck.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #1409 of 2304 Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Suggestions please!

Hello fellow AVSer's,

I have just installed a JVC RS 500 into my theater.

My gear is as follows:

Sources: Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, Roku Ultra

Pre Pro: Anthem AVM 60

And my JVC projector.

All devices have the latest firmware.

Cables are: BJC Series-1 30' garden hose , and a misc. bunch of the Monoprice 18.2Gbs Premium 6/10' cables and some Tera Grand 6/10' Premium cables and the cable that came with the oppo 203.

When I plug everything in and choose say, input 1 HDMI 1, (Oppo 203), the oppo says for best performance please plug in a 4K tv or something very similar. The AVM 60 displays 1080P on the front display as does the info panel of the JVC. I have tried to turn on the RS 500 first then the avm 60 (after the JVC is on for better handshake ability) and still no luck. It does this for both the Roku and Oppo 203. I have also forced the Roku into 4K but when it is plugged in to the AVM it says 4K not available.

In troubleshooting, I ran the garden hose directly to the Oppo 203 and bingo 4K no problem, same with the Roku. Does this sound like a cable problem? The AVM is suposed to be pass-through but I don't know where to troubleshoot from here.

Can any of the Guru's here point me in a direction to maybe get any more info to troubleshoot with?

Thanks in advance.
post #1410 of 2304 Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Paul Arnette said 'Thanks. I was able to find a Celerity Technologies 35 ft. HDMI cable on eBay for a "reasonable" price, so I am going to try that. I'll report back.' - have you confirmed it is the 18Gbs version, lots of the lower priced cables are 'old' stock/spec and won't reach 18Gbs.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page