HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 343Likes

post #1531 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
There are no guarantees for anything above about 20', with the exception possibly of a fiber optic cable, for 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz. Some work, some don't, regardless of mfr or packaging claims. It's all trial and error with the exception of the fiber optic cable.
This post should be a "sticky" thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_max2k2 View Post
Guys, I'm trying to find a 25ft cable that can do 18gbps, it seems there are few options for someone on a budget, which cables are these and for 20ft 18gbps. I'm guessing most cables will do 12gbps. The initial try I did using a 25ft cable would do 30ghz @4k 444. But couldn't do 60hz at that, reading above it seems 420 @ 60hz takes no more then 12gb even with HDR, I'll give that a try using the cable I have. But Still wanted to see if there was an affordable 20/25ft cable option for passing 4k/[email protected] from a pc. Since I can return the cable I have and might as well get something within that range that works full speed.

Thank you!
The Monoprice Certified Premium 20ft will probably do that and it's pretty cheap (< $20). If that doesn't work a 20ft BJC Series-1 is your next option at around $87 from Amazon. Any longer than that and you're limited to the BJC Series-1, which people have tested up to 35ft (I'm running 25ft + connector + 5ft Monster Black Platinum).

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray Player
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1533 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
This post should be a "sticky" thread.
You're assuming that folks read the "stickies" before posting....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that folks read the "stickies" before posting....
No one reads the stickies before posting!

Stickies! We don't read no stinkin' stickies! Ha-ha-ha!!!!

I just thought it was funny. These continuing HDMI and distance questions are like a skipping 45 record (or a CD with a dab of peanut butter).
post #1535 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
There are no guarantees for anything above about 20', with the exception possibly of a fiber optic cable, for 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz. Some work, some don't, regardless of mfr or packaging claims. It's all trial and error with the exception of the fiber optic cable.
From reading a little bit, the chances of finding 18gbps in lengths longer then 15-20ft is using a thicker/ good AWG rated cable. Seems like some people have had success when the 25ft cable was 26awg or better. I'm gonna order one and see post the result. Unfortunately the pluglug cable is not available from Amazon right now. I'm ordering this 26 awg cable and will post results.

Btw for 90/270 degree adaptors, does it make any difference, or are there any which definitely do 18gps, I'm getting these hopefully will work with the cable.

Thanks

65E6P + X4300H + Polk LSiM 706c + 703s, Oppo 203 + ATV 4K
55EA9800 + ATV 4th Gen.
post #1536 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
From reading a little bit, the chances of finding 18gbps in lengths longer then 15-20ft is using a thicker/ good AWG rated cable. Seems like some people have had success when the 25ft cable was 26awg or better. I'm gonna order one and see post the result. Unfortunately the pluglug cable is not available from Amazon right now. I'm ordering this 26 awg cable and will post results.

Btw for 90/270 degree adaptors, does it make any difference, or are there any which definitely do 18gps, I'm getting these hopefully will work with the cable.

Thanks
The cable you reference is all marketing b.s. They may work but only because the gauge is so thick. All the other stuff is just regurgitated HDMI 2.0 hardware specs. Gold plating and oxygen-free copper means nothing. The cable states 18Gbps but how did they determine that? And did they determine that at all the lengths they offer? Thicker gauge cables are good and a bit more reliable but you lose flexibility and increase the strain on the inputs. Bend radius also becomes important for the thicker gauge cables. No hardware mfr is going to guarantee a sustainable 18Gbps unless they have some sort of certification process involved and they can offer you proof of said certification. Even then, that's not 100% guaranteed. Good luck. I hope they work for you. All you can do is try.
post #1537 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
No one reads the stickies before posting!

Stickies! We don't read no stinkin' stickies! Ha-ha-ha!!!!

I just thought it was funny. These continuing HDMI and distance questions are like a skipping 45 record (or a CD with a dab of peanut butter).
I thought about the Sierra Madre reference but refrained from posting. Good choice! Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.......
post #1538 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'm ordering this 26 awg cable and will post results.
Not a chance in hell that's going to pass at 18Gb/s.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1539 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I thought about the Sierra Madre reference but refrained from posting. Good choice! Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.......
Actually that was a Blazing Saddles reference. Sierra Madre he said "I don't have to show you any stinking badges." :-)

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1540 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
The cable you reference is all marketing b.s. They may work but only because the gauge is so thick. All the other stuff is just regurgitated HDMI 2.0 hardware specs. Gold plating and oxygen-free copper means nothing. The cable states 18Gbps but how did they determine that? And did they determine that at all the lengths they offer? Thicker gauge cables are good and a bit more reliable but you lose flexibility and increase the strain on the inputs. Bend radius also becomes important for the thicker gauge cables. No hardware mfr is going to guarantee a sustainable 18Gbps unless they have some sort of certification process involved and they can offer you proof of said certification. Even then, that's not 100% guaranteed. Good luck. I hope they work for you. All you can do is try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAmey View Post
Quote:
I'm ordering this 26 awg cable and will post results.
Not a chance in hell that's going to pass at 18Gb/s.
I understand the marketing stuff there, the only reason I ordered is because it's 26awg, seems like people who had success has a thick cable around that. Lets see, defective amazon stuff is free returns, and so it will be if it doesn't get me the speed. I almost ordered the Monoprice premium but its 20ft and if this doesn't work, I'll get the blue jean s1 for 50ft. I could use it push through electrical out let. I'll post results.
post #1541 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Actually that was a Blazing Saddles reference.
It was meant as an attempt at levity and perhaps an homage to both/either films.
post #1542 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It was meant as an attempt at levity and perhaps an homage to both/either films.
And a very funny film it was (Blazing Saddles that is). Often misquoted but the Blazing Saddles is clearly a parody on the Gold Hat line from Sierra Madre. Sad that there is no way they could make a film like that anymore, just too politically incorrect.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1543 of 2304 Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Actually that was a Blazing Saddles reference. Sierra Madre he said "I don't have to show you any stinking badges." :-)
I think you missed it. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the original. Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies but we were referencing the original, as we old folks do.
Ratman likes this.
post #1544 of 2304 Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I think you missed it. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the original. Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies but we were referencing the original, as we old folks do.
Well I'm not that young but Treasure of the Sierra Madre was 1948 so you'd have to be pushing 90 to have seen it first run. As I pointed out previously, the quote did originate in that film but was parodied in Blazing Saddles. The quote most people know and repeat is "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges." (Mexican Bandit) and that is what was parodied above.

See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/...ref_=tt_trv_qu and
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/...ref_=tt_trv_qu

That quote however is from Blazing Saddles, not The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In the latter film Gold Hat says, "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.". So you see he never actually said "We don't need no stinking badges.", that line is only found in Blazing Saddles.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1545 of 2304 Old 02-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Great.
We don't need no more stinkin' discussion.

Sorry I made the post!
post #1546 of 2304 Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Great.
We don't need no more stinkin' discussion.

Sorry I made the post!
Both movies are on my all-time favorite list so no problem. It is silly to argue about tho. I thought your post was funny and had the same thought myself, but you beat me to it.
Ratman likes this.
post #1547 of 2304 Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I bought this cable off of Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Optic HDMI. Runs perfectly with HDR. All boxes checked green on XBOX ONE S. 50ft. No problems.

I also ordered this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Works perfectly as well. All boxes are checked on my XBOX ONE S. I had both HDMI cables installed, just to have 1 as a backup in case 1 of them fails.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATCNastyNate; 02-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #1548 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is there any user experince for this cable yet?

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=6852

Fiber optic, 66ft and it's much cheaper than Celerity?
post #1549 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserion View Post
Is there any user experince for this cable yet?

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=6852

Fiber optic, 66ft and it's much cheaper than Celerity?
guys...i cant understand why these cables are so expensive.......and anyway if i were you if i was spending this kind of money on high speed hdmi cables.....i would want them to be 2.1 spec...(thats 48 gbits).....so anything in years to come would work fine including 8k....

these 2.1 hdmi spec cables should be on the market soon (and sneaky hdmi manufacturers will not be able to claim there cables are 2.1 when there not.....as according to HDMI.org......these new cables will have to be certified to say that they are in fact 48 gbits)
manufactures can currently say legally that there cables are hdmi 2.1 compatible.....(they are only compatible, just like any hdmi cable out there is hdmi 2.1 compatible.....a hdmi lead is a hdmi lead....that's whats confusing for people....there is no such thing as a hdmi 2.0 cable.....there are simply 2 different hdmi speeds.....cables that do 10.2 gbits and certified cables that do 17.8 gbits......its your devices that carry the hdmi spec not the cables

most new tech will have hdmi 2.1 spec and therefore require higher bandwith cables....hence new 2.1 high speed cables

for example i want to run my high end pc which has a gtx 1080 gpu in it....to my 4k hdr tv.....rgb 4:4:4 @60hz....10bit colour.....the absolute minimum i require for this is 18 gbits....and i can tell you right now i have tried lots of different so called 18gits cables....all were no good....and if your run is longer than about 10ft....you have no chance of achieving this......(the cables you have....say 22.0 gbits....i would say this is not true.....have you been able to test these said cables at there maximum bandwidth.....like rgb 4:4:4 @60hz....10bit colour

would love to know the results if you can...thanks

i think these new cables should just be called simply 48gbits high speed cables....to stop all the confusion...as suggested on here in earlier posts by members

also the above cables will come down in price when new cables are released...so i would wait for a while before purchasing them
post #1550 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh271 View Post
guys...i cant understand why these cables are so expensive.......and anyway if i were you if i was spending this kind of money on high speed hdmi cables.....i would want them to be 2.1 spec...(thats 48 gbits).....so anything in years to come would work fine including 8k....

these 2.1 hdmi spec cables should be on the market soon (and sneaky hdmi manufacturers will not be able to claim there cables are 2.1 when there not.....as according to HDMI.org......these new cables will have to be certified to say that they are in fact 48 gbits)
manufactures can currently say legally that there cables are hdmi 2.1 compatible.....(they are only compatible, just like any hdmi cable out there is hdmi 2.1 compatible.....a hdmi lead is a hdmi lead....that's whats confusing for people....there is no such thing as a hdmi 2.0 cable.....there are simply 2 different hdmi speeds.....cables that do 10.2 gbits and certified cables that do 17.8 gbits......its your devices that carry the hdmi spec not the cables

most new tech will have hdmi 2.1 spec and therefore require higher bandwith cables....hence new 2.1 high speed cables

for example i want to run my high end pc which has a gtx 1080 gpu in it....to my 4k hdr tv.....rgb 4:4:4 @60hz....10bit colour.....the absolute minimum i require for this is 18 gbits....and i can tell you right now i have tried lots of different so called 18gits cables....all were no good....and if your run is longer than about 10ft....you have no chance of achieving this......(the cables you have....say 22.0 gbits....i would say this is not true.....have you been able to test these said cables at there maximum bandwidth.....like rgb 4:4:4 @60hz....10bit colour

would love to know the results if you can...thanks

i think these new cables should just be called simply 48gbits high speed cables....to stop all the confusion...as suggested on here in earlier posts by members

also the above cables will come down in price when new cables are released...so i would wait for a while before purchasing them
In a way you've answered your own question. They're just cables and you can't assign a bandwidth to a cable without considering the transceivers being used. The best passive cable out there right now, the Belden BJC Series-1 has been around since long before 4K and was originally certified for HDMI 1.2. Look at the date on the certification here https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-Be.../dp/B001LGBTPM. In 2007 1080p was only just starting to appear.

The point is that the cables are the same cables we've always used, some are better than others but ultimately it's the transceivers that really make the difference. HDMI 2.1 will likely have better transceivers that can transmit 48Gb/s over higher quality cables. We're not going to suddenly see an influx of new cables that can magically defy the laws of physics and transmit 48Gb/s using the older transceivers, we're going to be using the same cables we're using now.

That also explains why the fiber optic cables are so expensive. It's not the cable you're paying for, it's the high speed transceiver electronics at each end. You can do as much as 43Tb/s (43000Gb/s) on fiber provided you have the right transceivers so the limitation is going to be the transceivers for the foreseeable future. Copper cables seem to be pretty much maxed out at 18Gb/s (6Gb/s per conductor) so it's likely that the next generation and beyond will be entirely fiber optic based. We've come a long way since I started in the industry when running 4.2Mb/s over dual differential coaxial cables was considered state of the art but the number of companies failing to live up to even their claimed specs is a strong indicator that we've hit the wall.

I see a future where my grandchildren will be running Terabit/s connections wirelessly using quantum entanglement.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1

Last edited by CraigAmey; 02-13-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #1551 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM

I too prefer the term "48Gbps cable" to separate them from the current passive/active HDMI cables. Certification is a good thing but it is pretty much useless unless ALL cable mfrs follow the same certification protocols such as the one created by HDMI.org (Premium High Speed HDMI certified by an Authorized Testing Center). However, once the magical 48Gbps cables are available you will see all kinds of claims like you do now like with "up to 18Gbps" marketing b.s., but there is no industry standard that requires that cables be certified via a universal protocol so just about any claim can be made by a mfr that their cables are "certified". Certification by HDMI.org protocols comes with a price and that's why a lot of cable mfrs do not participate and instead have their own certification program which can be just about anything. I'm not too excited about HDMI 2.1 at this point in time because to take advantage of the full benefits of what HDMI 2.1 can offer, you will need new hardware, and of course source material as well.

Distance will always be an issue, like it is now for 4:4:4 @60Hz. If your HTS devices are within about 10' of each other, then the magical 48Gbps cables may work ok but my prediction is that we will have the same sort of issues that we are having now at distances longer than about 20' - 25'. Certainly something to keep an eye on but nothing to write home about. Fiber optic will be the way to go now and probably in the future as well, unless the copper cable is 20AWG
post #1552 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
In a way you've answered your own question. They're just cables and you can't assign a bandwidth to a cable without considering the transceivers being used. The best passive cable out there right now, the Belden BJC Series-1 has been around since long before 4K and was originally certified for HDMI 1.2. Look at the date on the certification here https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-Be.../dp/B001LGBTPM. In 2007 1080p was only just starting to appear.

The point is that the cables are the same cables we've always used, some are better than others but ultimately it's the transceivers that really make the difference. HDMI 2.1 will likely have better transceivers that can transmit 48Gb/s over higher quality cables. We're not going to suddenly see an influx of new cables that can magically defy the laws of physics and transmit 48Gb/s using the older transceivers, we're going to be using the same cables we're using now.

That also explains why the fiber optic cables are so expensive. It's not the cable you're paying for, it's the high speed transceiver electronics at each end. You can do as much as 43Tb/s (43000Gb/s) on fiber provided you have the right transceivers so the limitation is going to be the transceivers for the foreseeable future. Copper cables seem to be pretty much maxed out at 18Gb/s (6Gb/s per conductor) so it's likely that the next generation and beyond will be entirely fiber optic based. We've come a long way since I started in the industry when running 4.2Mb/s over dual differential coaxial cables was considered state of the art but the number of companies failing to live up to even their claimed specs is a strong indicator that we've hit the wall.

I see a future where my grandchildren will be running Terabit/s connections wirelessly using quantum entanglement.
yeah fiber optic looks the way forward.....but this new 2.1 spec will be awesome for gamers....120hz 4k gaming is on the way.....as i say i will be using my pc to play all of my hdr blu ray content......, (when ultra hd drives become available for pc)....i also have my pc connected up to my 11.2 home cinema setup.....although these new 2.1 cables wont be for every one.....i will certainly need them......whats the point in having all top end tech equip....only to be limited by slow speed hdmi........check this link out from linus tech about hdmi 2.1

the only problem i have now is i have to move the pc closer to screen and av receiver......to limit my runs....as i think the distance will still be a problem even with these new 2.1cables......according to hdmi.org they say 2.1 will use the same connection as previous hdmi....surely someone somewhere can come up with a solution that doesnt limit the length of the new 2.1 cables......we are in 2017 for godssake.....maybe the inventors of this new tech don't realize there is a serious market for this solution.....and i tell you if some manufacturer can solve it.....they would be worth a fortune.....i already know 10 of my friends who have same problem as me...most people have there pc on or under there desks and and have there tvs on other side of room which thhey also use as gaming monitors.....

hopefully over the coming year...this will all be solved........

or guess what you never know hdmi could/will be a thing of the past if they dont/cant utilise new tech????????
post #1553 of 2304 Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh271 View Post

hopefully over the coming year...this will all be solved........

or guess what you never know hdmi could/will be a thing of the past if they dont/cant utilise new tech????????
HDMI 2.1, and the associated magical 48Gbps cable, won't be realized until late this year and probably next year. Some mfrs may offer some sort of firmware upgrade to their HDMI 2.0a chipsets but it won't make the chips fully compliant with all of what HDMI 2.1 has to offer. That will more than likely require a hardware upgrade. You will still be limited by distance. Just look at the issues that folks are having trying to get reliable 18Gbps at distances over 20'.
post #1554 of 2304 Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
HDMI 2.1, and the associated magical 48Gbps cable, won't be realized until late this year and probably next year. Some mfrs may offer some sort of firmware upgrade to their HDMI 2.0a chipsets but it won't make the chips fully compliant with all of what HDMI 2.1 has to offer. That will more than likely require a hardware upgrade. You will still be limited by distance. Just look at the issues that folks are having trying to get reliable 18Gbps at distances over 20'.
yeah....(its not very clear if its possible to do firmware upgrade from 2.0a/b to 2.1) but heres hoping........

you would think in today's world of tech.....they would invent some sort of cable with the ability to do long runs......(and not at a $400/500 mark either)....fair enough i would pay a premium for the cable but not at that price point, no cable is worth that kind of money....like the cable is actually dearer than the device.....haha.....thats like telling a ferrari owner.....that the petrol to run it will cost more

because whats the point of all this new tech.....if it cant be utilized over long runs

especially for the pc enthusiasts.....as i don't know anybody who puts there pc under or near there tv

look at these joke cables costing $1000 and not better than another hdmi lead.....

this hdmi overpriced scam/rip off by manufactures is an absolute disgrace
post #1555 of 2304 Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM

^^^^ I agree. The market knows that folks want to have the latest and greatest, and use their big new fancy 4k tv's as huge monitors that they can connect their pimped out PC's to, and that's fine. But what they failed to recognize is the connection technology, which is far behind the video technology, whether it be television related or video card related. They know that most folks will buy into the hype and marketing b.s. of their cables and spend all kinds of money believing in what they are purchasing. Even with the return rate for the cables, the mfrs and dealers are still making money off of people so it's a win-win situation for them.
post #1556 of 2304 Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I finally tried a 15' MP Certified -> Blackbird -> 15' MP certified combo and thought I was going to pull it off. It's just not going to happen, though. This is my second attempt at the Blackbird and it just doesn't seem to do what they claim for me. I tried going directly from the Oppo 203 to a JVS RS500. I did get a handshake twice. Once I got the handshake, I was able to get 4K60 4:4:4 to the projector. If I turned off the Oppo and turned it back on, I would be out of luck again. It was obvious it was not going to be reliable. I have no idea what would make it "work". I had better luck with the PS4 Pro. For the most part, I was just trying to get the same signal I can get now with a 30ft Cabernet to start. Most of the time, this configuration failed. I couldn't reproduce my current results with the Oppo most of the time, but the PS4 Pro was able to output full 4K60 RGB consistently. Of course, as soon as I wasn't going direct from the PS4 and went from my receiver (Yamaha Aventage 3050), I lost it.

Edit - I forgot I had a 10' MP Certified cable that I didn't bother returning since the return shipping was almost as much as the cable... I tried it in place of one of the 15' cables and had the same results.... but, after unplugging/plugging-in the cable to the blackbird repeatedly, I finally got an HDMI handshake and was passing 4K60 4:4:4 from my Oppo 203 through the receiver and then to the projector. That was a first. I put the 15' MP certified cable in the chain and did the same thing, I was eventually successful. It's too bad - I was glad to at least see it's possible since I've never been this far before, but repeatedly unplugging/plugging-in cables every time I want to use a 4K source obviously isn't an option. If I switch inputs, I can't go back to the input I was just using without starting the whole unplugging/plugging-in game again. IMO, the Blackbird has to not be doing something great. I've had 25ft working before with a passive cable. You'd think a 15ft + 10ft cable could reproduce the same results successfully if the Blackbird was working correctly. I've tried a 15ft + Blackbird + 6ft combination and couldn't get it to work - the 6ft cable was an active Luxe cable, though. Anytime I put it in the chain, nothing works.

Last edited by BrandonJF; 02-14-2017 at 08:07 PM.
post #1557 of 2304 Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM

^^^^^ an ATC certified cable is fine, but once you put a connector between it and the sink, there are no guarantees. Your best bet is a single cable, probably something like an optical cable. But even that is not guaranteed depending on how you have it setup, the cable path, bend radius, etc etc etc.
post #1558 of 2304 Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I finally tried a 15' MP Certified -> Blackbird -> 15' MP certified combo and thought I was going to pull it off. It's just not going to happen, though. This is my second attempt at the Blackbird and it just doesn't seem to do what they claim for me.
This matches my experience with the Blackbird. I had better luck with a passive connector than their active solution. I contacted Monoprice and they just refunded my purchase price and I threw it away.

Reading one of the other threads where someone did extensive testing their results were similar to mine, i.e. the monoprice CP cables were good to 20ft and the Belden Series-1 was good for 30ft+. Interestingly they also tested Audioquest cables and found that most failed but the Carbon series worked at 30ft+. Still not much competition for the BJC given that the Series-1 costs around $100 and the Carbon nearly $900.

LG OLED65C6P TV
LG AN-MR700 Remote
Yamaha RX-A1060 Receiver
Sony PS4-Pro
Xfinity X1
post #1559 of 2304 Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Originally Posted by rayh271:

'because whats the point of all this new tech.....if it cant be utilized over long runs'.

The HDMI Forum have indicated that the standard length for a copper 48G cable will be 2m - that is the length of the vast majority of installed cables.

As ever 'our' little bit of the market will have to come up with solutions which sell in relatively low volume numbers.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #1560 of 2304 Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
I currently have the Belden Premium Certifieds, but last weekend had to reroute some things, including HDMI cables, and situation now is that the stiffness/stout build of these cables is not working in my favor. I've seen a few similar complaints on the Monoprice certified cables - stiff! Where should I be looking for Certified, but more flexible? Or I guess Certified is nice, but not a requirement - so long as it is the 4K 4:4:4 60Hz capable. Was thinking about the Monoprice that's 2.5 x as expensive as the certified ones, that are not certified but claim to meet the specs.

No long runs, looking for 6 foot cables. Longest run is 11 feet: 5 feet to pre-pro (already a certified cable), then need to more flexible 6-footers from pre-pro to TV.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page