HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes

post #2341 of 2344 Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The configuration I am having problems with is:

Chromecast-Ultra (4k/60) --> Sony STRDH790 --15'-hdmi--> Benq HT3550 projector
The Chromecast plugs directly into the amp with no cable.

I experience a 2 second dropouts every 45 min or so.

- Everything is brand new.

- I currently don't see dropouts for sources slower than 4k/60 (eg, a PC limited to 4k/30, or a PS4 at 1080p).

- I did replace the Amp with a different model, as the previous one had even more frequent dropouts, independent of source.

Technology is great except for when it isn't :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2344 Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth Netterfield View Post
The configuration I am having problems with is:

Chromecast-Ultra (4k/60) --> Sony STRDH790 --15'-hdmi--> Benq HT3550 projector
The Chromecast plugs directly into the amp with no cable.

I experience a 2 second dropouts every 45 min or so.

- Everything is brand new.

- I currently don't see dropouts for sources slower than 4k/60 (eg, a PC limited to 4k/30, or a PS4 at 1080p).

- I did replace the Amp with a different model, as the previous one had even more frequent dropouts, independent of source.

Technology is great except for when it isn't :-)

Haven't you asked this in another thread and received a response?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #2343 of 2344 Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Haven't you asked this in another thread and received a response?
Yes - as I mentioned, I originally asked this in the HT3550 thread where I got a suggestion to replace the amp (which I did), and another suggestion to replace the cable with fiber cable, which I have not.

Based on the the suggestion to replace the cable with a fiber cable, I moved to this thread, since it seemed more relevant to hdmi than to the projector. Much of the traffic on this thread seems to indicate that at 15feet, a QR coded Certified Premium cable should have no troubles, and is as good as one can get. Yet I am still having problems, so I was hoping to get some clarity.

But, it seems that there is no clarity to be had.

I can try a fibre cable ("seems overkill"), or an 8k passive cable ("just marketing"), or a different brand 4k cable ("certified premium is certified premium, its as good as you can do"), or ... ???

Sorry about the frustration, but... I am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 2344 Old 05-15-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth Netterfield View Post
Yes - as I mentioned, I originally asked this in the HT3550 thread where I got a suggestion to replace the amp (which I did), and another suggestion to replace the cable with fiber cable, which I have not.

Based on the the suggestion to replace the cable with a fiber cable, I moved to this thread, since it seemed more relevant to hdmi than to the projector. Much of the traffic on this thread seems to indicate that at 15feet, a QR coded Certified Premium cable should have no troubles, and is as good as one can get. Yet I am still having problems, so I was hoping to get some clarity.

But, it seems that there is no clarity to be had.

I can try a fibre cable ("seems overkill"), or an 8k passive cable ("just marketing"), or a different brand 4k cable ("certified premium is certified premium, its as good as you can do"), or ... ???

Sorry about the frustration, but... I am

I understand your frustration. Generally speaking, if you use a Premium High Speed HDMI cable at say 15' or less, any problems you encounter is probably not cable related as long as the cable is installed with the absolute minimum of bend, no strain on the HDMI ports, no wall plates, etc etc etc. You need to start looking at your individual devices, settings, source material etc.

You can try a hybrid fiber cable and see if that works better. I've been using the Ruipro4k cables on my system at 5' lengths and they've had the same performance as the Premium cables that I was using prior. They are not something I would recommend for under 20' runs due to cost but they were supplied to me for testing purposes (so no cost to me) and I just left them on my systems. "8k" cables, in theory, should be better made if they are to stand up to the rigors of the 8k demands but without knowing how some of the 8k cable mfrs arrive at their claims I have my doubts. You're still stuck at 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 so that's all the cable will carry.

Look at your settings and source material carefully and try different options. (4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4 for example).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page