UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works ! - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 366Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 998 Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,101
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
...I have been seeing some claims recently that you shouldn't use anything shorter than a 6' HDMI cable in a full speed 18Gbps 4K 60FPS setup.

The explanation I heard from an industry professional, which makes sense to me, is that because impedance matching is never perfect, signal reflections occur at the terminations.

If the cable is too short, the reflections are too close in time to the originally propagated signal, messing up the waveform.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 998 Old 05-13-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,319
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
The explanation I heard from an industry professional, which makes sense to me, is that because impedance matching is never perfect, signal reflections occur at the terminations.

If the cable is too short, the reflections are too close in time to the originally propagated signal, messing up the waveform.

Not entirely true. I was asked by Ruipro to test their active hybrid fiber cables at 5' lengths. Previously I was using Premium High Speed HDMI cables, 4' and 5' lengths from BJC. Both types of cables, passive and active, transferred 4k HDR perfectly, regardless of source with absolutely no issues. The hybrid fibers cables were easy to work with, had a remarkable bend radius, and with the slim HDMI connectors, they easily and snugly fit into a horizontal or vertical HDMI input. Hybrid fiber is expensive so I would not recommend them at lengths under 25'. The passive Premium High Speed HDMI cables work just fine at lengths under 10' (4' to 5' for sure).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #993 of 998 Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,101
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Not entirely true...

I didn't mean to say it was always the case, but that it could be the reason for issues with short cables.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #994 of 998 Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,319
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I didn't mean to say it was always the case, but that it could be the reason for issues with short cables.
It's possible, especially if it was a cheap Chinese knock off cable. Price is not always an indicator of quality of cable build. I've used passive cables as short as 4' before with no issues. Mileage, as always, will vary.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #995 of 998 Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Member
 
timrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm hoping that the technology has started to catch up since these postings.

I have an onkyo TX-NR585 receiver in my audio closet that's 40-50ft hdmi cable length away from my tv (after it goes up thru the rafters and back down).

and i'd like to take advantage of some black Friday sales and buy a new 75" UHD LED tv....maybe LG 75SM9070PUA (claims a 240Hz refresh rate).

i'm ready to rip out the drywall and lay some pvc pipe in order to future proof, but don't want to do all that if there isn't a cable that'll feed the new UHD TV's

is there a cable out there that I can run from my closet that'll support the new UHD TV's? pls don't tell me that i'm doomed to live with my current 8 yr old 55" 1080p tv. I currently run a 55' monoprice active hdmi cable and it works fine.

i'm not a full-on techy like most of you folks, so my eyes glaze over when I start seeing all of the Gbps and copper wire discussions. but I've got a half way decent surround sound system in my living room and i'd like to tack on one of the newer UHD TV's to it.

btw...is 18.2Gbps capability for cable performance what I need?

does the AWG really make a diff at this length?

some cables that I've seen online are...

Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected] HDR 18Gbps 24AWG YCbCr 4:4:4 CL2 50ft Black - $53
Monoprice Essentials CL2 Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 50ft - $63
Monoprice SlimRun AV Dynamic HDR Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], Dynamic HDR, 48Gbps, Fiber Optic, eARC, AOC, YCbCr 4:4:4, 50ft, Black - $233
Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR High Speed Outdoor HDMI Cable - [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, Fiber Optic, AOC, YUV 4:4:4, Armored, 50FT, Black - $212
RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 20m - $219

thx
timrb is offline  
post #996 of 998 Old 11-28-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,319
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrb View Post
i'm hoping that the technology has started to catch up since these postings.

I have an onkyo TX-NR585 receiver in my audio closet that's 40-50ft hdmi cable length away from my tv (after it goes up thru the rafters and back down).

and i'd like to take advantage of some black Friday sales and buy a new 75" UHD LED tv....maybe LG 75SM9070PUA (claims a 240Hz refresh rate).

i'm ready to rip out the drywall and lay some pvc pipe in order to future proof, but don't want to do all that if there isn't a cable that'll feed the new UHD TV's

is there a cable out there that I can run from my closet that'll support the new UHD TV's? pls don't tell me that i'm doomed to live with my current 8 yr old 55" 1080p tv. I currently run a 55' monoprice active hdmi cable and it works fine.

i'm not a full-on techy like most of you folks, so my eyes glaze over when I start seeing all of the Gbps and copper wire discussions. but I've got a half way decent surround sound system in my living room and i'd like to tack on one of the newer UHD TV's to it.

btw...is 18.2Gbps capability for cable performance what I need?

does the AWG really make a diff at this length?

some cables that I've seen online are...

Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected] HDR 18Gbps 24AWG YCbCr 4:4:4 CL2 50ft Black - $53
Monoprice Essentials CL2 Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 50ft - $63
Monoprice SlimRun AV Dynamic HDR Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], Dynamic HDR, 48Gbps, Fiber Optic, eARC, AOC, YCbCr 4:4:4, 50ft, Black - $233
Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR High Speed Outdoor HDMI Cable - [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, Fiber Optic, AOC, YUV 4:4:4, Armored, 50FT, Black - $212
RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 20m - $219

thx
At 50', for 4k HDR, your best bet is to use a hybrid fiber cable. They are not cheap and there are no 100% guarantees. Rupro4k cables seem to get the best reviews from AVS users. Using a conduit for in-wall installations is almost a requirement because cable requirements will change as the video standards become more demanding (HDMI 2.1 for example) so the chances of upgrading your cabling is a very real possibility, so you should have easy access to your cabling. It's also easier and safer to control bend radius with a conduit.

The best and most reliable connection is a single cable run, source to sink, with no extenders, adapters, wall plates, etc in-between.

Cables that are advertised as 48Gbps, or any other HDMI 2.1 feature sets are questionable because there is no way to validate those claims. The obvious answer is that there are no consumer devices commercially available yet, or source material for that matter, that can take advantage of the full HDMI 2.1 feature sets so testing those cables in a real world setting is not possible. It's relatively easy to show that a cable of a given length can push 48Gbps, but it's an entirely different matter to show that the cable can handle the data that requires 48Gbps without any errors.

18Gbps is the current bandwidth for the HDMI 2.0 feature sets and is just fine for 4k HDR. Wire gauge does make a difference, and a thicker wire is usually more reliable. But with a thicker wire gauge you lose bend radius which can result in increases strain on the HDMI input, which is not good.

Your biggest issue will be distance. 50' can work with different cables but it's going to be trial and error.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 11-28-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #997 of 998 Old 11-29-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrb View Post
i'm hoping that the technology has started to catch up since these postings.

RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 20m - $219
The Ruipro Hybrid Fiber Cable prices have steadily gone down over the past 8 months with Amazon currently selling the 50 foot (15m) for $120.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #998 of 998 Old 11-29-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,319
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The Ruipro Hybrid Fiber Cable prices have steadily gone down over the past 8 months with Amazon currently selling the 50 foot (15m) for $120.
Yep. And I think the Ruipro4k may drop even a bit further once the Ruipro8k cable is ready for prime time and shipping globally.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off