TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 478Likes

post #811 of 1323 Old 06-25-2018, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Wow. That is really cool. Even though I ran 2” diameter orange conduit, it’s amazing how few cables I can get through it since it spans about 25’ and has a few gentle turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I also have a 2" conduit with 3 90 degree bends and using the Fiber Optic Cable made it a breeze to pull it through.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568
giomania likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm a total newb here, posted some questions in the past when we were in very early planning stages, and we're now finally framing. Going to need around 25 ft of cable from receiver to projector, but if we need to move around the screen that will be hanging in between the joists, I may need 30-40ft. These threads are very interesting, but I'm curious as to why report #2 was removed from the OP. I saw the update with a link to the second report, but I can not see it attached anywhere. And it appears that report #3 has not happened yet. Just curious what happened to report #2 and why it was removed.

I was leaning towards using RUIPRO 40ft to be on the safe side, going to the planned BenQ HT2550 projector, and thinking that is still a recommended option based on report #1 and the conversations after that.
post #813 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointdexter5 View Post
I'm a total newb here, posted some questions in the past when we were in very early planning stages, and we're now finally framing. Going to need around 25 ft of cable from receiver to projector, but if we need to move around the screen that will be hanging in between the joists, I may need 30-40ft. These threads are very interesting, but I'm curious as to why report #2 was removed from the OP. I saw the update with a link to the second report, but I can not see it attached anywhere. And it appears that report #3 has not happened yet. Just curious what happened to report #2 and why it was removed.

I was leaning towards using RUIPRO 40ft to be on the safe side, going to the planned BenQ HT2550 projector, and thinking that is still a recommended option based on report #1 and the conversations after that.
Whatever you do run any HDMI Cable in a plastic
conduit
so it can be changed later as needed
Pointdexter5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
Quote:

Let me echo what drhankz just stated. Whatever you do, run a 1.5"-2.0" conduit. Using a conduit for your cable run is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because chances are you will be replacing/upgrading the cable in the future as video standards become more demanding. You can even lay in some solid core CAT-6 (non-CCS and not CAT-6 ethernet cabling) if you want hardwire your HTS for possible future use (HDBT?). Install a pull string as well and you are solid for the future. The use of a conduit also make it a bit easier to control bend radius which can affect the signal propagation if the bend is too drastic.
post #815 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Let me echo what drhankz just stated. Whatever you do, run a 1.5"-2.0" conduit. Using a conduit for your cable run is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because chances are you will be replacing/upgrading the cable in the future as video standards become more demanding. You can even lay in some solid core CAT-6 (non-CCS and not CAT-6 ethernet cabling) if you want hardwire your HTS for possible future use (HDBT?). Install a pull string as well and you are solid for the future. The use of a conduit also make it a bit easier to control bend radius which can affect the signal propagation if the bend is too drastic.
I am already wiring the basement with CAT6 Riser cable, that is solid core, so I was thinking about running that through a conduit with the HDMI cable, after reading this topic

https://www.amazon.com/1000ft-Unshie...ct_top?ie=UTF8

So would the RUIPRO be my best option for right now? Still not clear what happened to report 2, but based on the initial report, conversation here and other sites, many seem to indicate it is a high quality cable suitable for the set up I'm going for.
post #816 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I am already wiring the basement with CAT6 Riser cable, that is solid core, so I was thinking about running that through a conduit with the HDMI cable, after reading this topic

https://www.amazon.com/1000ft-Unshie...ct_top?ie=UTF8

So would the RUIPRO be my best option for right now? Still not clear what happened to report 2, but based on the initial report, conversation here and other sites, many seem to indicate it is a high quality cable suitable for the set up I'm going for.
Just to be clear, the solid core can be used with a punchdown keystone jack to extend your ethernet connection or terminated with something like HDBT to extend your HDMI connection. There is no telling what cable requirements are going to be needed for the future but the HDBT active extender may eventually be useful (once they are updated with the current HDMI 2.1 chipsets) for future standards so all you need to do is change the termination point because the cabling is already in-wall.

I think at this point in time, most folks are having the best luck with the Ruipro hybrid fiber cable. It's fairly flexible but you still want to pay close attention to the bend radius. It also might be a good idea to connect the source end directly to your tv and not thru a wall plate or splitter. 4k HDR can be a bit finicky so a direct connection, source to sink is always best.

As far as you choice for the solid core CAT-6 cable what you linked to will be sufficient. I've used similar cable before to extend my ethernet connection to hardwire my HTS well over 100' and it was rock solid. Just make sure you give yourself enough of a service loop at each end so you can easily manipulate the cable for connections. In fact I will be using similar cable to hardwire my mesh satellite unit to the main router so I can use a physical connection for the backchannel and not depend on WiFi (which works just fine) for the backchannel.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-20-2018 at 01:14 PM.
post #817 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Conduit (with a pull cord)
Solid Core, non-CCA CAT6
RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI

You are about as 'future proof' as is currently possible - and mirror the advice we are providing to all of our UK/EU customers.

Joe
farsider3000 and Pointdexter5 like this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #818 of 1323 Old 07-20-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, the solid core can be used with a punchdown keystone jack to extend your ethernet connection or terminated with something like HDBT to extend your HDMI connection. There is no telling what cable requirements are going to be needed for the future but the HDBT active extender may eventually be useful (once they are updated with the current HDMI 2.1 chipsets) for future standards so all you need to do is change the termination point because the cabling is already in-wall.

I think at this point in time, most folks are having the best luck with the Ruipro hybrid fiber cable. It's fairly flexible but you still want to pay close attention to the bend radius. It also might be a good idea to connect the source end directly to your tv and not thru a wall plate or splitter. 4k HDR can be a bit finicky so a direct connection, source to sink is always best.

As far as you choice for the solid core CAT-6 cable what you linked to will be sufficient. I've used similar cable before to extend my ethernet connection to hardwire my HTS well over 100' and it was rock solid. Just make sure you give yourself enough of a service loop at each end so you can easily manipulate the cable for connections. In fact I will be using similar cable to hardwire my mesh satellite unit to the main router so I can use a physical connection for the backchannel and not depend on WiFi (which works just fine) for the backchannel.
The HDMI connection to the projector would come directly from the receiver, which would feed all output devices (TV & projector) and have the 4K input devices as the source connected to it. At least that was the goal, as the TV is not 4K, but the bluray player would be. The TV is older and just for standard HD. The projector would be used for movies and hide the TV when the screen is extended.
post #819 of 1323 Old 07-25-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 342
You could struggle with Source devices not auto configuring between 1080p and 2160p based on the 'active' Sink (Display) device - if your AVR has the ability to toggle its HDMI Output between HDMI A and HDMI B rather than always being HDMI A + B you may be OK.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #820 of 1323 Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
You could struggle with Source devices not auto configuring between 1080p and 2160p based on the 'active' Sink (Display) device - if your AVR has the ability to toggle its HDMI Output between HDMI A and HDMI B rather than always being HDMI A + B you may be OK.

Joe
I'm probably too much of a newb yet to fully understand what too look for here when looking at AVRs and bluray players to avoid issues here.
post #821 of 1323 Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
@ARROW-AV , have you considered testing the UGREEN fiber optic cable? It's 99 bucks for a 30ft cable on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Suppor...rds=fiber+hdmi

https://www.ugreen.com/product/1389-en.html#ad-image-0
post #822 of 1323 Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
@ARROW-AV , have you considered testing the UGREEN fiber optic cable? It's 99 bucks for a 30ft cable on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Suppor...rds=fiber+hdmi

https://www.ugreen.com/product/1389-en.html#ad-image-0
The cable appears to be an active cable (one end is labeled as Display) but there is no mention of that in the cable description other than it's a "one-way only cable". So that begs the question as to which version of HDMI chipsets are being used in the source end. The cable is listed as "Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 2.0", which could be misinterpreted as an "HDMI 2.0 cable", of which there is no such thing. Any cable mfr who labels their cables as "HDMI 2.0" is suspect. No mention of certification either. There's a reason why a 30' fiber cable is only $100. UGREEN Limited is a Chinese-based company which makes lots of other consumer products in addition to cables. The cable could work just fine but without knowing which version of chipsets are being used in the sink end, it may not last long, and with only an 18 month warranty (which is odd), I'd be surprised if the "fiber" was not plastic instead of glass. AV-ARROW only tested cables from known, reputable mfrs/resellers.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #823 of 1323 Old 08-15-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
The cable appears to be an active cable (one end is labeled as Display) but there is no mention of that in the cable description other than it's a "one-way only cable". So that begs the question as to which version of HDMI chipsets are being used in the source end. The cable is listed as "Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 2.0", which could be misinterpreted as an "HDMI 2.0 cable", of which there is no such thing. Any cable mfr who labels their cables as "HDMI 2.0" is suspect. No mention of certification either. There's a reason why a 30' fiber cable is only $100. UGREEN Limited is a Chinese-based company which makes lots of other consumer products in addition to cables. The cable could work just fine but without knowing which version of chipsets are being used in the sink end, it may not last long, and with only an 18 month warranty (which is odd), I'd be surprised if the "fiber" was not plastic instead of glass. AV-ARROW only tested cables from known, reputable mfrs/resellers.
That does seem fishy. Guess I will have to spend the extra money
post #824 of 1323 Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
That does seem fishy. Guess I will have to spend the extra money
I'm very suspicious of cable mfr claims, even the way overpriced cable from known mfrs such as AudioQuest and Monster. Being as you're looking at a 30' run hopefully you can or will install it in a conduit because swapping out the cable at a later date (which is likely) will be so much easier. It's also easier to control bend radius.
post #825 of 1323 Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just wanted to say thanks for having this thread and information available! It helped me select a cable for a 20-25' run.
azz7686 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #826 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Can anyone point me to a report on testing of 25 foot 4K cables, or is it all nothing more than hit or miss anecdotes for that type of cable?
post #827 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Can anyone point me to a report on testing of 25 foot 4K cables, or is it all nothing more than hit or miss anecdotes for that type of cable?
For what reason do you want to test a 4K cable? Do you currently own one or are you looking to purchase one? They either work or they don't!

I have this Monoprice 50ft cable and I haven't had any issues with it:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
post #828 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
For what reason do you want to test a 4K cable? Do you currently own one or are you looking to purchase one? They either work or they don't!

I have this Monoprice 50ft cable and I haven't had any issues with it:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
I'm thinking of buying one. So the advice is "no test report, you're on your own, just buy something and hope it works"?
post #829 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying one. So the advice is "no test report, you're on your own, just buy something and hope it works"?
Any Premium Certified HDMI cable will work. If it is not certified then it can be a gamble.

This cable would work just fine for you:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-18.png
Views:	21
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	2443266  
post #830 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any Premium Certified HDMI cable will work. If it is not certified then it can be a gamble.
I'm aware of "cable certification", but I've seen posts here on AVS that state people have tried "certified cables", and some of them have failed. So it appears that certification is a guarantee of nothing. I was just hoping there's a list of 25 ft. cables that are known to work based on independent testing, rather than a label.
post #831 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm aware of "cable certification", but I've seen posts here on AVS that state people have tried "certified cables", and some of them have failed. So it appears that certification is a guarantee of nothing. I was just hoping there's a list of 25 ft. cables that are known to work based on independent testing, rather than a label.
Well the Monoprice cable that I recommended will only cost $19.99 and is fully refundable if it does not work. What do you have to lose???

Or you can go ahead and get the fiber cable that I am using and I can guarantee you that it will work but I needed a longer run then you. If it where my money and I was you I would go with the $19.99 cable and call it a day. I have a few 6ft version of that exact cable and they work flawlessly.
post #832 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well the Monoprice cable that I recommended will only cost $19.99 and is fully refundable if it does not work. What do you have to lose???
What I have to lose is time, frustration, and the hassle of having to try something else and hoping the next thing will work. I was just trying to avoid that, but it looks like I have no reason to think I can. Oh well......
post #833 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What I have to lose is time, frustration, and the hassle of having to try something else and hoping the next thing will work. I was just trying to avoid that, but it looks like I have no reason to think I can. Oh well......
I just gave you 2 cables that will work so what's the issue? They are certified premium cables and I own both versions and they both work with all 4K content!
post #834 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
I have shifted all my cables to fiber optic. I have a 50ft mono price fiber to the projector and I also use a 75ft fiber from mono price for testing that sends 4k HDR with no issues. For my shorter runs I use Ruipro fiber, also with no issues.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #835 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
You can avoid the frustration by listening to Coxy or spending a bit more money and go with fiber from either Ruipro or the monoprice cable in the report at on the first page of this thread.
coxy2416 likes this.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #836 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
You can avoid the frustration by listening to Coxy or spending a bit more money and go with fiber from either Ruipro or the monoprice cable in the report at on the first page of this thread.
I appreciate Coxy's input, and I will try the cable he recommends. The report you referenced specifically states that it references 15m/50ft.+ cables, NOT the 25 ft. cables I'm interested in. That's why I asked if there was such a report for 25 ft. cables. It appears there isn't. There's supposed to be one "coming". That was 15 months ago.
post #837 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
A Premium High Speed HDMI cable is a copper-based cable that is tested and certified by an ATC (the program designed and approved by HDMI.org). Any cable mfr can have their cables tested by an ATC if they are willing to pay for the service. The testing protocols are standardized so regardless of the mfr and/or reseller, if it has the QR label (for authenticity) then you know it's been tested properly and reliably. The certification is only good to 25' and has recently been pushed to 30'. There are other factors involved besides the cable that will make for a successful cable run. That's why no one can give you a 100% guarantee that a cable, even certified, will work for any given setup. If all you're going to push is 4k and your run is under 25', then just about any well made cable will work (again depending on how it's installed). 4k HDR over about 20' will almost require one to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro) because those are getting the most positive feedback from actual users here.

HDMI chipsets on your source/sink end, bend radius, switches, etc all play a part in a successful run. Any in-wall installation should be done with the use of a conduit (1.5" - 2.0") because that is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because you will more than likely be swapping out cables again in the future.

Bottom line, cabling for 4k HDR over 20' is always going to be hit and miss to a certain degree, especially if you want to use copper-based cables. Hybrid fiber is what is most often recommended, but it's expensive. For 4k HDR under 25', then just go with an ATC certified cable because that will give you the best chance of success, but won't be a guaranteed success for the reasons I gave.
post #838 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A Premium High Speed HDMI cable is a copper-based cable that is tested and certified by an ATC (the program designed and approved by HDMI.org). Any cable mfr can have their cables tested by an ATC if they are willing to pay for the service. The testing protocols are standardized so regardless of the mfr and/or reseller, if it has the QR label (for authenticity) then you know it's been tested properly and reliably. The certification is only good to 25' and has recently been pushed to 30'. There are other factors involved besides the cable that will make for a successful cable run. That's why no one can give you a 100% guarantee that a cable, even certified, will work for any given setup. If all you're going to push is 4k and your run is under 25', then just about any well made cable will work (again depending on how it's installed). 4k HDR over about 20' will almost require one to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro) because those are getting the most positive feedback from actual users here.

HDMI chipsets on your source/sink end, bend radius, switches, etc all play a part in a successful run. Any in-wall installation should be done with the use of a conduit (1.5" - 2.0") because that is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because you will more than likely be swapping out cables again in the future.

Bottom line, cabling for 4k HDR over 20' is always going to be hit and miss to a certain degree, especially if you want to use copper-based cables. Hybrid fiber is what is most often recommended, but it's expensive.
Thank you, the technical information is much appreciated. The bottom line seems to be that the only way to know for sure is to try it and see, regardless of reports, testing, or even the experiences of others.
post #839 of 1323 Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you, the technical information is much appreciated. The bottom line seems to be that the only way to know for sure is to try it and see, regardless of reports, testing, or even the experiences of others.
Yep. Unfortunately that's the nature of this mess we call HDMI.
RobertR and azz7686 like this.
post #840 of 1323 Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought the rui 12 meter fiber cable and it would not work with my nad receiver to my projector (yes I ensured source went to source and display to display). I ended up getting the rocketfish 50ft hdmi fiber cable at Bestbuy and it actually worked. It is more ft than I need but so far it is working great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page