TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 484Likes

post #1321 of 1381 Old 10-05-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Have anyone tried the MavisLink fiber optic cable in 50ft length, you can see it at the bottom of the Amazon page linked here earlier for the RuiPro cable. It’s more than half the cost compared to the RuiPro so i am curious to know if anyone here tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QS98N68...NrPXRydWU&th=1
It almost looks like a Ruipro4k knock-off, even down to the product images and how they are presented. Try it and let us know.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1381 Old 10-07-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLABY View Post
The one that was listed as a "winner" in the pdf test report:

50ft/15m Cable Length | Product Code: B01N6HM1RL

https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Fiber-.../dp/B01N6HM1RL

KS
It tied for first place with this Monoprice cable. The Monoprice is very small and quite flexible, but if you need ARC then the Ruipro is a better choice.

MONOPRICE | SlimRun AV HDR Cable for
HDMI Enabled Devices [email protected], YUV4:4:4

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #1323 of 1381 Old 10-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
It tied for first place with this Monoprice cable. The Monoprice is very small and quite flexible, but if you need ARC then the Ruipro is a better choice.

MONOPRICE | SlimRun AV HDR Cable for
HDMI Enabled Devices [email protected], YUV4:4:4

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
The SlimRun cable is a fiber-only cable as best as I can see but it is a good cable and a good price. But for longevity, a hybrid fiber cable would be a better choice, albeit at a higher price. The Ruipro4k cables are remarkably flexible and have practically zero strain on the HDMI input, provided your equipment is not shoved up against a wall. ARC/eARC is going to be difficult for any cable, especially as you get closer to 30m in length. That's where the hybrid fiber cable would be a better choice. The solid copper wires around the glass fiber bundle handles ARC, EDID, and HDCP communication leaving everything else up to the fiber core.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Looks like there are some new options to look at besides the top two in the Report 1

1) First Choice from Report 1

Ruipro 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07287LTRZ/
$159.99

2) Second Choice from Report 1

Monoprice SlimRun 4k 50' (fiber only, no ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XS8T2W4/
$157.73

3) not reviewed, but mentioned earlier in this thread:

MavisLink 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QS98N68/
$64.88

4) not reviewed, but this and their 8k 50' have lots of good reviews:

Bifale 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Q44FHCV/
$67.99

There are also some 8k HDMI 2.1 hybrid fiber choices on Amazon less expensive than these 4k cables... something to add to the 8k HDMI cable sister thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...dmi-2-1-a.html

This is for those adding a new HDMI run now, and especially for those wanting a little future proofing and also since Monoprice and Ruipro have nothing available for 8k 50' yet (Ruipro 8k coming to market in the US soon I read in the other thread):

Bifale 8k (hybrid fiber with eARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S91JQRP/
$151.99

CABLEDECONN 8k (hybrid fiber with eARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VI3N3NY/
$98.99

Last edited by jch2; 10-17-2019 at 02:02 AM.
post #1325 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
Looks like there are some new options to look at besides the top two in the Report 1

1) First Choice from Report 1

Ruipro 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07287LTRZ/
$159.99

2) Second Choice from Report 1

Monoprice SlimRun 4k 50' (fiber only, no ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XS8T2W4/
$157.73

3) not reviewed, but mentioned earlier in this thread:

MavisLink 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QS98N68/
$64.88

4) not reviewed, but this and their 8k 50' have lots of good reviews:

Bifale 4k 50' (hybrid fiber with ARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Q44FHCV/
$67.99

There are also some 8k HDMI 2.1 hybrid fiber choices on Amazon less expensive than these 4k cables... something to add to the 8k HDMI cable sister thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...dmi-2-1-a.html

This is for those adding a new HDMI run now, and especially for those wanting a little future proofing and also since Monoprice and Ruipro have nothing available for 8k 50' yet (Ruipro 8k coming to market in the US soon I read in the other thread):

Bifale 8k (hybrid fiber with eARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S91JQRP/
$151.99

CABLEDECONN 8k (hybrid fiber with eARC)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VI3N3NY/
$98.99
Without independent verification (like what ARROW-AV did and is doing) there is no way to verify the claims on the MavisLink, Bifale, or Cabledeconn cables. Especially in light of the fact that there are no consumer devices yet that have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets that support all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets mentioned in their product descriptions.

post #1326 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Without independent verification (like what ARROW-AV did and is doing) there is no way to verify the claims on the MavisLink, Bifale, or Cabledeconn cables. Especially in light of the fact that there are no consumer devices yet that have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets that support all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets mentioned in their product descriptions.
That's why I posted them here. ARROW-AV had requested that people post new finds on long HDMI cables that support (or claim to support) HDMI 2.0 on this thread. Presumably so that he could test them. Given the pricing on the four new options, it is definitely worth looking into (assuming ARROW-AV is still doing testing). They are all Prime 1-day delivery (at least for me), so we could have results as early as this weekend. NOTE: for the first two cables (MavisLink and Bifale), they are 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 18gbps cables, so your statement about not being able to test HDMI 2.1 capability does not make sense. For the second two cables, all we would really care about in this thread is how well these claimed HDMI 2.1 cables did on backwards compatability (i.e. how well did they do on HDMI 2.0 tests).

ARROW-AV could test these four exactly the same way he tested the other 20 cables in Report 1, and update the report and post the info on the test results back into this thread. It would also possibly demonstrate that this thread is not a 133 page marketing tool for Ruipro.

ARROW-AV, are you out there? Are you still testing new 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 cables? If so, could you test these? Thanks!

Last edited by jch2; 10-17-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #1327 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
NOTE: for the first two cables (MavisLink and Bifale), they are 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 18gbps cables, so your statement about not being able to test HDMI 2.1 capability does not make sense. For the second two cables, all we would really care about in this thread is how well these claimed HDMI 2.1 cables did on backwards compatability (i.e. how well did the do an HDMI 2.0 tests).
8k is part of the HDMI 2.1 specifications (8k60 and 4k120 resolutions with uncompressed 8k video/HDR). So to advertise an 8k capable HDMI cable implies HDMI 2.1 which is misleading. Especially when the product descriptions mention some of the HDMI 2.1 options sets. You are correct about the MavisLink cable link not be advertised as 8k. My mistake. I mis-read it. They did have an advertised HDMI 2.1 compliant cable at one time that has since been pulled, or they changed the product description.

4k HDR (HDMI 2.0) can difficult for any cable type at distances longer than about 25' so the recommendation is a fiber cable, preferably a hybrid fiber cable. The cables are active so they can not get official (ATC) certification so independent validation, like what ARROW-AV is doing is important. Unfortunately the product description lines are getting blurred by some of the mfrs with HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.0. Future proofing can really only be accomplished by having easy access to your cables or to run them in a conduit. It will still be trial and error.

post #1328 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
NOTE: for the first two cables (MavisLink and Bifale), they are 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 18gbps cables, so your statement about not being able to test HDMI 2.1 capability does not make sense. For the second two cables, all we would really care about in this thread is how well these claimed HDMI 2.1 cables did on backwards compatability (i.e. how well did the do an HDMI 2.0 tests).
8k is part of the HDMI 2.1 specifications (8k60 and 4k120 resolutions with uncompressed 8k video/HDR).
I agree. But for the purpose of this thread let's stick to discussion of the 4k HDMI 2.0 capability of each cable (no matter what the manufacturer claim on the cable says). Let's let the sister thread on 8k HDMI 2.1 cables handle all the discussion about the new HDMI 2.1 features and testing. It will help prevent the confusion you mention around the two topics if we too keep the discussion separate.

Quote:
You are correct about the MavisLink cable link not be advertised as 8k. My mistake. I mis-read it.
I'm actually correct on both the MavisLink and Bifale cables. The two I posted are both advertised as 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 cables. I posted two Bifale cables, the other is their 8k HDMI 2.1 offering. Nonetheless, the HDMI 2.1 designation isn't relevant for this thread. For this thread what we care about is 4k HDMI 2.0 results. Readers of this thread just want a long 4k HDMI 2.0 cable that works. There are so many advertised long cables that only partially work. I've wasted some money on buying cables that didn't. This thread helps prevent that, and I wish I would have found it sooner.

Quote:
4k HDR (HDMI 2.0) can difficult for any cable type at distances longer than about 25' so the recommendation is a fiber cable, preferably a hybrid fiber cable. The cables are active so they can not get official (ATC) certification so independent validation, like what ARROW-AV is doing is important. Unfortunately the product description lines are getting blurred by some of the mfrs with HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.0.
Agreed. This is all relevant information, but has already been stated in this thread many times, including on the first article in this thread. Repeating it here doesn't add any value to the conversation about posting and asking ARROW-AV to test newer (and possibly less expensive) options for long 4k HDMI 2.0 cables.

Quote:
Future proofing can really only be accomplished by having easy access to your cables or to run them in a conduit. It will still be trial and error.
Agreed. But again, future-prooding and conduit is duplicate information and again not that relevant to my original post that spurred this conversation. All we really care about in this thread is, which advertised long 4k HDMI 2.0 cables actually work? And do these new cables I found and posted work (i.e. could ARROW-AV get them and test then for us and post results here).

So, in summary the point of my post is in-line with this thread: for those of us buying and installing a cable today for 4k HDMI 2.0 use, what are our options that actually work, and do any of the new (and lower prices options) actually work. And even if the new ones do pass all tests are there any other benefits or drawbacks to the newer, cheaper, cables?
post #1329 of 1381 Old 10-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:

So, in summary the point of my post is in-line with this thread: for those of us buying and installing a cable today for 4k HDMI 2.0 use, what are our options that actually work, and do any of the new (and lower prices options) actually work. And even if the new ones do pass all tests are there any other benefits or drawbacks to the newer, cheaper, cables?
The bottom line is if the cable works as expected, regardless of cost, that's all that matters. Consumers just need to carefully read all of the product descriptions and try not to get caught up in the "future proofing" claims or claims that have not been validated, either by standardized testing or in actual user environments.

post #1330 of 1381 Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Have anyone tried the MavisLink fiber optic cable in 50ft length, you can see it at the bottom of the Amazon page linked here earlier for the RuiPro cable. It's more than half the cost compared to the RuiPro so i am curious to know if anyone here tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QS98N68
It almost looks like a Ruipro4k knock-off, even down to the product images and how they are presented. Try it and let us know.
I did, and it worked. Details below.

I ordered both the 50' RUIPRO 4k for $160 and the 50' MavisLink 4k for $65 (plus an additional 6% coupon) from Amazon. They came in identical slim black boxes: one with a full-color RUIPRO label, and one with a simple black and white MavisLink label. The MavisLink does appear to be a clone/copy/knock-off.

The MavisLink works just fine for 4k24 4:4:4 12-bit, and 4k60 12-bit 4:2:2 (which requires 18GHz) on my Panasonic UB820, Apple TV 4k, and Fire TV 4k (all hooked up to my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver). The 50' cable is connected through my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver on HDMI2 out to my Epson 5050UB projector. I also tried the cable on HDMI1 out with my LG C8 65" OLED and it worked fine there too and ARC worked too. My original KabelDirekt 50' passive/copper cable could not handle any mode that required more than about 9gbps to either my TV or projector.

So, I'm going to run the MavisLink through the walls and ceiling, and if all goes well (if it survives the process), I'll return the RUIPRO cable to Amazon unopened.

So, +1 for the 50' MavisLink 4k HDMI 2.0 18gbps hybrid fiber cable for $65.
BakeApples likes this.
post #1331 of 1381 Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I ordered both the 50' RUIPRO 4k for $160 and the 50' MavisLink 4k for $65 (plus an additional 6% coupon) from Amazon. They came in identical slim black boxes: one with a full-color RUIPRO label, and one with a simple black and white MavisLink label. The MavisLink does appear to be a clone/copy/knock-off.

The MavisLink works just fine for 4k24 4:4:4 12-bit, and 4k60 12-bit 4:2:2 (which requires 18GHz) on my Panasonic UB820, Apple TV 4k, and Fire TV 4k (all hooked up to my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver). The 50' cable is connected through my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver on HDMI2 out to my Epson 5050UB projector. I also tried the cable on HDMI1 out with my LG C8 65" OLED and it worked fine there too and ARC worked too. My original KabelDirekt 50' passive/copper cable could not handle any mode that required more than about 9gbps to either my TV or projector.

So, I'm going to run the MavisLink through the walls and ceiling, and if all goes well (if it survives the process), I'll return the RUIPRO cable to Amazon unopened.

If you run the cable thru the walls and ceiling, make sure you use a conduit with a pull string for future cable pulls and upgrades because chances are you will be swapping out the cable in the future. Using a conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling and makes for a much safer installation and easier to control bend radius. The chipsets in the Ruipro4k connector ends are proprietary so it is doubtful that the MavisLink cable has the same chips in them. Good luck.

post #1332 of 1381 Old 10-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I already ordered and have received the MavisLink 50ft cable but have not tried it yet because i am waiting for delivery of my projector. But it`s nice to hear that it worked good with your setup.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
post #1333 of 1381 Old 10-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I already ordered and have received the MavisLink 50ft cable but have not tried it yet because i am waiting for delivery of my projector. But it`s nice to hear that it worked good with your setup.
@jch2 - As a side note, I have a colleague who has disassembled the source and sink ends of the MavisLink and Ruipro4k cables out of curiosity. Even to a non-engineer, the quality of build of the Ruipro cables is noticeably better, even down to the soldering of the wires to the board and the number of components used. The cables will work but longevity (reliability) will probably be no where near what the higher quality Ruipro cable will offer.

post #1334 of 1381 Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 PM

I'm having issues with the MavisLink 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 hybrid fiber cable. So, I opened up and swapped in the RUIPRRO 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 hybrid fiber cable. And I had the same problem. I went back to my KabelDirekt 50' passive cable, and it did not exhibit the same symptoms. So, it has something to do with the active cables not behaving properly.

Here's the scenario. I have several sources connected to my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver:
AV1: Pananasonic UB820 Blu-ray player
AV2: DISH Network Hopper 3
AV3: Apple TV 4k
AV4: Fire TV Stick 4k

I have my LG C8 65" OLED connected to HDMI1 out and my new Epson 5050UB connected to HDMI2 out. HDMI2 out is configured to output whatever is on main (so output the same as HDMI1) and audio is turned off (i.e. the receiver never sends the audio stream to the projector). The 50' HDMI cable is connected between the receiver's HDMI2 out and the Epson 5050UB projector on HDMI1 in.

Before I begin, I power cycle everything by removing power to everything, and then restoring power to everything. This just makes sure everything is reset, including any cached HDMI data.

I start watching my DISH Hopper 3 on a 1080i source (so, low bandwidth, no HDMI 2.0 features active, and no HDCP active). I start with only the LG turned on and everything works fine. The receiver shows it has an HDMI In and it is outputting on HDMI1 out. I then turn on the projector and I get images on on both the LG and projector and the receiver shows it is outputting on HDMI1 and HDMI2. I then turn off the TV, and the receiver shows output in HDMI2 only and I have audio through the speakers and an image in the projector only. So far so good!

Now the problem:

I then turn off the projector (it goes into standby) and turn on the LG. With the 50' passive cable connected all works fine. I get indicators on the receiver that HDMI In is active and HDMI1 out is active and HDMI2 is not showing active. I have audio through the speakers and video on the LG.

However, with either the MavisLink or RUIPRO hybrid fiber cables connected the receiver shows it has an HDMI input and it is outputting to HDMI1, but the HDMI2 out indicator is flashing on and off quickly (once or more per second). Then the HDMI2 indicator stops and starts flashing slowly, once on, a couple seconds go by, then off, then a couple more seconds. It repeats that pattern of slow on/off blinking for about three times. The HDMI is working in the meantime: I have audio through the receiver speakers and video on the LG.

Then the really bad part starts. The HDMI indicators on the receiver for both in and out all go dark. I lose audio on the receiver and video on the LG. It sits blank, for more than 30 seconds. Sometimes it will start the process over and then ultimately fail again. If switch inputs and back again, the process starts over but eventually fails. If disconnect the HDMI2 50' active fiber cable, it resyncs and everything works and stays that way. If I then plug the HDMI2 active fiber cable back in, the process starts over again and things fail. If I remove power from the projector (unplug it), everything works fine. But once I plug the projector back in, the problem starts again. This is true for both the MavisLink and RUIPRO active fiber cables. The passive cable works fine and doesn't exhibit any of these symptoms.

The firmware is up to date on the Epson 5050UB (v1.01), the RX-A3070 (v2.70) and my LG C8 TV (v05.10.20).

From this I can conclude that the active fiber cables aren't recognizing the projector's standby state properly and are telling the receiver to try to sync with it. It tries and fails. Once I cut power to the projector completely (pull the plug) the active fiber cables recognize the state of the device on the far end and correctly convince the receiver there is nothing active on the line and the receiver doesn't try (and thus fail) to sync with the proejctor on HDMI2 out.

I have HDMI CEC on the projector off (but have tried it with it on, same result).

I notice a lot of the new active fiber cable offerings say only direct source to display is supported, and having an AV receiver in the loop or an HDMI splitter is not supported. I wonder if that's because of the issue I'm experiencing. The MavisLink and RUIPRO did not have those disclaimers (that's why I tried them) but they both appear to have the same problem in my setup.

So, I can't use the 50' passive copper HDMI KabelDirekt cable because it won't pass any high bitrate 4k resolutions (4k60 8-bit 4:2:0 is the best it can manage). And the active fiber cables only work if I unplug the cables from the back of the AV receiver or unplug the projector from the wall in order when I want to watch my LG TV.

Any suggestions on what I can try? If I can't get these active fiber cables to work I might have to try some other of the new active fiber cable options, or try one of the passive cable signal boosters.

Thanks!

-J.C.

Last edited by jch2; 10-22-2019 at 12:20 AM.
post #1335 of 1381 Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I'm having issues with the MavisLink 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 hybrid fiber cable. So, I opened up and swapped in the RUIPRRO 50' 4k HDMI 2.0 hybrid fiber cable. And I had the same problem. I went back to my KabelDirekt 50' passive cable, and it did not exhibit the same symptoms. So, it has something to do with the active cables not behaving properly.
We have seen this type of issue before with pj's and active cables. Both active cables should work with a receiver in-between, at least in theory. 50' is going to be tough for any cable type. The problem may be HDMI input voltage related on the pj side. You might want to try a voltage inserter at the pj end. It's a separate dongle-like device, that requires power itself, but it does provide a constant 5v to the cable. That's what an HDMI input does as well but if it is out of spec or fluctuates, that may affect the active circuitry in the sink end of the cable.

post #1336 of 1381 Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We have seen this type of issue before with pj's and active cables. Both active cables should work with a receiver in-between, at least in theory. 50' is going to be tough for any cable type. The problem may be HDMI input voltage related on the pj side. You might want to try a voltage inserter at the pj end. It's a separate dongle-like device, that requires power itself, but it does provide a constant 5v to the cable. That's what an HDMI input does as well but if it is out of spec or fluctuates, that may affect the active circuitry in the sink end of the cable.
Can you provide a product manufacturer and model, or better a link, or best an Amazon link, to a product that does this?

RUIPRO support suggested I buy this for $9.99. it'll be here in 3-5 days. Once I get it and test it, I will post a follow up:

RUIPRO 5V USB power insertor with standard Female HDMI to Male HDMI port:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XX5T43B/

Last edited by jch2; 10-22-2019 at 04:30 AM.
post #1337 of 1381 Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Can you provide a product manufacturer and model, or better a link, or best an Amazon link, to a product that does this?

RUIPRO support suggested I buy this for $9.99. it'll be here in 3-5 days. Once I get it and test it, I will post a follow up:

RUIPRO 5V USB power insertor with standard Female HDMI to Male HDMI port:

Google is your friend. Start with the Ruipro product and see how that works. It should work with the Ruipro cable and even the cheaper MavisLink knock-off cable.

post #1338 of 1381 Old 10-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Over in the Epson 5050UB thread someone suggested using the Blue Jeans Series-3 (or also the Series-3A) active copper cables in conjunction with my setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58716962

Here's the direct link to the info page:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/series3a.htm

And direct link to the product ordering page (Note: due to a bug on their website this page won't display the Series-3 cables if on the mobile site, you need to access the desktop version of the site):

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

Does anyone have any experience with the 40' or 50' versions of these cables?

-J.C.
post #1339 of 1381 Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Over in the Epson 5050UB thread someone suggested using the Blue Jeans Series-3 (or also the Series-3A) active copper cables in conjunction with my setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58716962

Here's the direct link to the info page:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/series3a.htm

And direct link to the product ordering page (Note: due to a bug on their website this page won't display the Series-3 cables if on the mobile site, you need to access the desktop version of the site):

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

Does anyone have any experience with the 40' or 50' versions of these cables?

-J.C.
BJC makes good cables. I've used their Premium High Speed cables in the past and they worked without any issues. However, that was for runs under 25'. As we have pointed out many times, distance is the achilles heel of 4k HDR. 40' - 50' is pushing the limit for copper based cables, even active ones. Depending on how robust the chipsets are in the sink end of the cable you may or may not have any issues, as they are active cables just like the Ruipro and MavisLink. Everybody's setup and equipment is different so all you can do is try. There are no guarantees for long runs. You can thank HDMI.org for that!

post #1340 of 1381 Old 10-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Looks like there could be some issues with these active cables and certain equipment. I received my Sony 4k projector today and did a quick test connecting the Mavislink between display and source (AppleTV 4K). No issues at all but unfortunately i couldn't test with receiver in between. I will use a Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar in my setup and connect all sources and display to this so hopefully this will work.

Will report my findings here when i've had the chance to test this.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
post #1341 of 1381 Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 PM

I have an update to my HDMI cable issue. I've tested the BJC and also and HDMI repeater on the passive cable, all with the same results. I also tested my old projector with an active cable, same results. So, I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha dual HDMI outputs (i.e. built-in splitter) not playing well with a TV connected to HDMI out 1 and a projector connected over an active cable on HDMI out 2, but only when the TV is on, and the projector is plugged into power but is in standby mode. See here for my updated findings. I've opened a case with Yamaha support and will let you know what I find.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...31721?page=504
post #1342 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Quote:
I have an update to my HDMI cable issue. I've tested the BJC and also and HDMI repeater on the passive cable, all with the same results. I also tested my old projector with an active cable, same results. So, I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha dual HDMI outputs (i.e. built-in splitter) not playing well with a TV connected to HDMI out 1 and a projector connected over an active cable on HDMI out 2, but only when the TV is on, and the projector is plugged into power but is in standby mode. See here for my updated findings. I've opened a case with Yamaha support and will let you know what I find.

I wouldn't expect a solution from Yamaha since it involves the built-in chipset. I had a similar problem with my Denon and then my Onkyo AVR. Dual HDMI outputs can be buggy when used with active cables, in my case the 50 foot Ruipro hybrid. I got blinking on/off video and sound on the Denon when both the 4K projector and the 1080p Panasonic plasma TV were on at the same time. When I upgraded to a new Onkyo receiver the Ruipro worked fine except that the Onkyo dual outputs would only do 1080p when the older Panasonic set was connected. My solution was a wireless power module that allowed me to disconnect power to the TV so that the Onkyo only saw the 4K projector allowing the full UHD resolution. I had none of these issues with my passive BJC 40 foot cable.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #1343 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't expect a solution from Yamaha since it involves the built-in chipset. I had a similar problem with my Denon and then my Onkyo AVR. Dual HDMI outputs can be buggy when used with active cables, in my case the 50 foot Ruipro hybrid. I got blinking on/off video and sound on the Denon when both the 4K projector and the 1080p Panasonic plasma TV were on at the same time. When I upgraded to a new Onkyo receiver the Ruipro worked fine except that the Onkyo dual outputs would only do 1080p when the older Panasonic set was connected. My solution was a wireless power module that allowed me to disconnect power to the TV so that the Onkyo only saw the 4K projector allowing the full UHD resolution. I had none of these issues with my passive BJC 40 foot cable.
Thanks for the reply!

Interesting solution. What wireless power switch did you go with?

I had the same idea last night and started looking at adding a wireless IR controlled outlet too, but to my projector so that I can just turn off the power to it when I want to watch TV. I'm looking for IR so I can control it with my Logitech Harmony remote.

The only IR controlled outlet I can find is the (discontinued) Xantech AC2. There are a few for sale on eBay.

Looks like I can also build my own with one of each of these:

Infrared Remote Control Relay Module 1CH 12V IR Wirless Receiver ON/OFF Relay Switch for Most Home Appliances with LED Indicators

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QH6XP9P/

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WV7GMA2/

I think I'd want a delayed shutdown though, like a 30-60 second delay after power off to let the projector's fans run after entering standby to dissippate heat, so I'll have to add a timer that allows the relay to power on instantly but adds delay to the power off.

I don't like the idea of having to kill the power to my projector, but if that's what it takes to make dual HDMI outputs work with active cables, then that's what I'll have to do.

And, I'm going to try one other option, an HDMI 5v power inserter that RUIPRO recommended:

I don't think it will fix the issue. However, I'm wondering, if I hook up that power inserter at the AV receiver, and then turn the inserter's power off, if the active cable will then lose power and stop confusing my Yamaha. If so, I'll just add the simple IR relay above to the power inserter instead and use like an on/off switch for the active cable. That will be much simpler solution and my projector will stay powered.

I'll reply when I have a working solution.

-J.C.

Last edited by jch2; 10-26-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #1344 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Agreed. We've seen similar issues with dual-HDM outs and just about any active cable. The prevailing thought, at least at the time, was that the dual HDMI outs share power somehow which, if you're using a power-sensitive cable (like an active cable), introduced too much fluctuation for the active chipsets.
Mr.G likes this.

post #1345 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

-J.C.
Sorry it probably can't help you out since my solution was very low tech. A simple on/off switch the Etekcity remote.

post #1346 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. We've seen similar issues with dual-HDM outs and just about any active cable. The prevailing thought, at least at the time, was that the dual HDMI outs share power somehow which, if you're using a power-sensitive cable (like an active cable), introduced too much fluctuation for the active chipsets.
If that's the case then the RUIPRO HDMI power inserter added at the AVR should solve the issue.

I have my doubts since I tried an HDMI repeater with my passive cable (the repeater had its own 5v power supply) and that also caused the same issue. I'll know for sure today, my RUIPRO power inserter arrives today.

If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll try using the power inserter as a power switch for the active HDMI cable, and I'll see if when I turn off power to the active cable completely if that solves the issue of the active cable confusing the AVR's dual HDMI outputs.

-J.C.
post #1347 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If that's the case then the RUIPRO HDMI power inserter added at the AVR should solve the issue.

I have my doubts since I tried an HDMI repeater with my passive cable (the repeater had its own 5v power supply) and that also caused the same issue. I'll know for sure today, my RUIPRO power inserter arrives today.

If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll try using the power inserter as a power switch for the active HDMI cable, and I'll see if turn off power to the cable completely will solve the issue of the active cable confusing the AVR's dual HDMI outputs.

-J.C.
I forgot to mention I tried a 5V power inserter but it failed to make any difference. YMMV.

post #1348 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
I'm having issues ...

I have my LG C8 65" OLED connected to HDMI1 out and my new Epson 5050UB connected to HDMI2 out. ...
-J.C.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect a solution from Yamaha since it involves the built-in chipset. I had a similar problem with my Denon and then my Onkyo AVR. Dual HDMI outputs can be buggy when used with active cables, in my case the 50 foot Ruipro hybrid. I got blinking on/off video and sound on the Denon when both the 4K projector and the 1080p Panasonic plasma TV were on at the same time. ....
Quote:
I had these problems with the same scenario with a Denon receiver, so it's not just a Yamaha problem. Like you, I troubleshot the daylights out of this issue swapping out components and cables one at a time. Thinking it was a Denon problem, I even swapped in a Yamaha receiver. (same result) Like you, with a passive cable, there was never a problem. Like you, I needed the active cable for the bandwidth.

With any active cable to the projector, with the projector off, and both HDMI receiver outputs on, I would not get a proper signal to the TV. But, if I chose HDMI 1 output only (in this case the TV), I received signal to the TV no problem. I'm not certain of the Yamaha terminology, but mine allowed me to choose the HDMI outputs, either HDMI 1, HDMI 2, or HDMI Auto (both). Same choices with Denon - different terminology.

For me this was an HDCP issue. If the source had HDCP, it would not work. With any non-HDCP source, there was never a problem. This indicated to me that with an active cable, and a display hooked up but not turned on, the receiver or HDCP source device was being told there was an HDMI connection to a non-HDCP compliant device, therefore it would not permit any HDCP display. I think this is just one more aspect of the disaster of HDCP.

My only solution was to choose only one HDMI output when using the TV.

To add even more confusion, with certain Denon firmware versions, this problem does not occur, and I can use an active cable with both HDMI outputs active, even with the projector off. Go figure.

My Denon is on it's 4th firmware. The problem did not occur with the first, and has not occurred (so far) with the 4th version.

Good luck,

Pip
post #1349 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

-J.C.
Sorry it probably can't help you out since my solution was very low tech. A simple on/off switch the Etekcity remote.
Yeah, I looked at those. That's 433.93 MHz RF, so hard to control with an IR remote system. Seems RF/WiFi/Z--Wave/ZigBee controlled power outlets are everywhere, but no IR!

Quote:
I forgot to mention I tried a 5V power inserter but it failed to make any difference. YMMV.
That's kind of what I'm expecting. Thank you for sharing your experience with this. I really appreciate it.

-J.C.
post #1350 of 1381 Old 10-26-2019, 11:13 AM

The voltage inserter, similar to the Lindy CECless adapter, works for some folks and not for others. It's worth a shot just in case you're one of the lucky ones. Do let us know how it all works out and what you did to correct the issue, if anything at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page