TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 485Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 11:17 AM
Member
 
jch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I had these problems with the same scenario with a Denon receiver, so it's not just a Yamaha problem. Like you, I troubleshot the daylights out of this issue swapping out components and cables one at a time. Thinking it was a Denon problem, I even swapped in a Yamaha receiver. (same result) Like you, with a passive cable, there was never a problem. Like you, I needed the active cable for the bandwidth.

With any active cable to the projector, with the projector off, and both HDMI receiver outputs on, I would not get a proper signal to the TV. But, if I chose HDMI 1 output only (in this case the TV), I received signal to the TV no problem. I'm not certain of the Yamaha terminology, but mine allowed me to choose the HDMI outputs, either HDMI 1, HDMI 2, or HDMI Auto (both). Same choices with Denon - different terminology.
I noticed that D+M had selectable HDMI out 1 / HDMI out 2 / HDMI out 1+2. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't have this capability. Yamaha always works only as the equivalent of the D+M 1+2 auto mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
For me this was an HDCP issue. If the source had HDCP, it would not work. With any non-HDCP source, there was never a problem. This indicated to me that with an active cable, and a display hooked up but not turned on, the receiver or HDCP source device was being told there was an HDMI connection to a non-HDCP compliant device, therefore it would not permit any HDCP display. I think this is just one more aspect of the disaster of HDCP.
This is what I'm suspecting too. And I agree, HDMI is cool, but a disaster (for more reasons than just HDCP, like not certifying the long cables needed to operate projectors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
My only solution was to choose only one HDMI output when using the TV.

To add even more confusion, with certain Denon firmware versions, this problem does not occur, and I can use an active cable with both HDMI outputs active, even with the projector off. Go figure.

My Denon is on it's 4th firmware. The problem did not occur with the first, and has not occurred (so far) with the 4th version.

Good luck,

Pip
It's good D+M can fix HDMI issues with firmware updates. I hope Yamaha can too.

Looks like I might have to switch from Yamaha and go to Denon / Marantz. I've been looking at the AVR-X8500H and the AV8805. Which AVR are you using?

I'm in a holding pattern right now though waiting for the Monoprice HTP-1 to come out, and to read it's reviews. If it's good I'll try one with my setup and see how its dual-HDMI outputs work.

I have my fingers crossed for my idea of using a 5V power inserter as a switch and switching the power off to the active cable when the projector is not in use.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. Your information is super-helpful. If D+M can fix this via a firmware upgrade, maybe I can get Yamaha to fix it in a firmware update too.

-J.C.

Last edited by jch2; 10-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.
jch2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 12:06 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,956
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I also documented my issues in this thread with a 50-foot RuiPro, Lumagen Radiance Pro, and a Denon X3500H. I also tried the voltage inserter in an attempt to mitigate my issue, but to no avail. My solution was to set the Lumagen to output a maximum of 9GHz, and that solved it in my case.

Mark




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
giomania is offline  
post #1353 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
jch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
I tested with the RUIPRO 5V power inserter, with all three active cables. It didn't solve the issue. Also, when I pulled the power on the inserter, nothing changed. I have independent confirmation of the issue from my Yamaha dealer (he tried it and got the same results).

So, I guess I will wait to see what Yamaha says in response to the case I opened with them last Thursday (no reply yet).

-J.C.

Great Room: Yamaha RX-A3070, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.8: Definitive Tech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, and M&K MX-100 / MX-125. Master Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3010, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 7.1.2: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R
jch2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1354 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
I noticed that D+M had selectable HDMI out 1 / HDMI out 2 / HDMI out 1+2. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't have this capability. Yamaha always works only as the equivalent of the D+M 1+2 auto mode.
I own two Yamaha receivers which can do this. Which model receiver do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
....If D+M can fix this via a firmware upgrade, maybe I can get Yamaha to fix it in a firmware update too.

-J.C.
I doubt Denon actually "fixed" this deliberately. As it's worked in version 1 and 4, I think it's inadvertent.

Pip
Pip is offline  
post #1355 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
I noticed that D+M had selectable HDMI out 1 / HDMI out 2 / HDMI out 1+2. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't have this capability. Yamaha always works only as the equivalent of the D+M 1+2 auto mode....

-J.C.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...632556&thumb=1

Pip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 4.46.25 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	2632556  
Pip is offline  
post #1356 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 03:19 PM
Member
 
jch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
I noticed that D+M had selectable HDMI out 1 / HDMI out 2 / HDMI out 1+2. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't have this capability. Yamaha always works only as the equivalent of the D+M 1+2 auto mode.
I own two Yamaha receivers which can do this. Which model receiver do you have?
I own an RX-A3070, and a 3040, 3010, RX-Z9, DSP-A1, and several others. I'm using the RX-A3070 for this setup (only one with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2).

I have scoured the on screen menus and front panel and have never found a control. But low and behold, I just scoured the remote and found a button called HDMI out. One press shows the current mode. Pressing again while the display is up will toggle it from Off, 1+2, 1, 2. And it works. On HDMI 1 it ignores the active cable. Is this in the on screen UI someplace and I just missed it?

I even found discreet IR codes for HDMI out 1, or HMDI out 2:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?6470

Now I just need to add them to my Harmony activities as part of the startup. This is not as convenient as just having HDMI out 1+2 just work properly, but at least I have a workaround.

Thank you so much!

Great Room: Yamaha RX-A3070, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.8: Definitive Tech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, and M&K MX-100 / MX-125. Master Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3010, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 7.1.2: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R

Last edited by jch2; 10-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
jch2 is online now  
post #1357 of 1383 Old 10-26-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I have a Yamaha A-780 that has the same HDMI out configurations.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1358 of 1383 Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Guys I'm sorry, I read back and searched but I couldn't find an answer so I'm just gunna ask it, I apologize if this has been answered before... I have a 25 foot Monoprice Cabernet active HDMI with the older Redmere chipset. I can't find any specs online anymore about it, can anyone tell me if it carries HDR/HDR10/HLG and 18 GB data? I'm upgrading my projector to a 4K and I'm gunna need all of these.... things. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide.
Malone99 is offline  
post #1359 of 1383 Old 10-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Nevermind, my phone wouldn't open it but I just found the HDMI test results page on my computer and this cable fails in spectacular fashion. Sigh... cables that have to be fished through walls really shouldn't be going obsolete 4 years from inception... WELP... trying to fish another one of these through should be fun!
Malone99 is offline  
post #1360 of 1383 Old 10-30-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone99 View Post
Nevermind, my phone wouldn't open it but I just found the HDMI test results page on my computer and this cable fails in spectacular fashion. Sigh... cables that have to be fished through walls really shouldn't be going obsolete 4 years from inception... WELP... trying to fish another one of these through should be fun!
It’s probably a little late now but the recommendation for in-wall installation is to use a conduit for easier and safer cable installation. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology so planning ahead for cable upgrades is important.

Longer than 25’ for 4K HDR the cable with a lot of favorable reviews is the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable. However, the cable is active and there are reported issues with active cables and some projectors so that’s why using a conduit is advisable because there may be some trial and error in finding a cable that meets your expectations.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1361 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I hope you guys here could help me, since I have a HDMI (Handshake?) issue with my Xbox One X which is connected with the original Xbox cable to a Denon AVR which is connected to a LG OLED B8 with a 3 meter / 10 feet Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable.


Once in a while when playing a game with HDR the screen goes black for a second, the HDR logo shows from the TV and picture is up again. I can't reproduce it, it's only in some HDR games (RDR 2, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Borderlands 3, CoD Modern Warfare, but not in Gears 4/5, Forza Horizon 4 or AC Odyssey) and sometimes I play for hours and days and have nothing, sometimes its like one drop in one hour.



I read a lot of this issue but nothing really helps, I even tried switching between 8bit and 10bit or swithing Y4:2:2 on or off in the Xbox settings.



I haven't encountered any problems when playing 4K files with my media player yet which is connected to the Denon, its only the Xbox.


I found a video that shows the same issue with a different TV, it's shown at timecode 5:21





Are there any "18gbps torture test files" available so I can check if it's the Amazon cable? Unfortunately I don't have the Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD mentioned here.

I am already considering buying a certified premium HDMI cable with 10 feet (I need a little more than the common 6 feet because of my TV Rack an cable canals) or a fiber HDMI cable like this from Azebee that some projector owners are using but I don't know how to force test this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2Y2BGM...ter_B07ZM76GHJ


Thanks in advance.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
post #1362 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Omro, WI...USA
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
I hope you guys here could help me, since I have a HDMI (Handshake?) issue with my Xbox One X which is connected with the original Xbox cable to a Denon AVR which is connected to a LG OLED B8 with a 3 meter / 10 feet Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable.


Once in a while when playing a game with HDR the screen goes black for a second, the HDR logo shows from the TV and picture is up again. I can't reproduce it, it's only in some HDR games (RDR 2, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Borderlands 3, CoD Modern Warfare, but not in Gears 4/5, Forza Horizon 4 or AC Odyssey) and sometimes I play for hours and days and have nothing, sometimes its like one drop in one hour.



I read a lot of this issue but nothing really helps, I even tried switching between 8bit and 10bit or swithing Y4:2:2 on or off in the Xbox settings.



I haven't encountered any problems when playing 4K files with my media player yet which is connected to the Denon, its only the Xbox.


I found a video that shows the same issue with a different TV, it's shown at timecode 5:21



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW0JnyTjfA


Are there any "18gbps torture test files" available so I can check if it's the Amazon cable? Unfortunately I don't have the Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD mentioned here.

I am already considering buying a certified premium HDMI cable with 10 feet (I need a little more than the common 6 feet because of my TV Rack an cable canals) or a fiber HDMI cable like this from Azebee that some projector owners are using but I don't know how to force test this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2Y2BGM...ter_B07ZM76GHJ


Thanks in advance.
check this out on amazon DTECH 10 Meter Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 4K 60Hz 18Gbps HDR 444 422 420 Sub-Sampling High Speed in-Wall Rated this is flawless.....noticed now it is 40% less now than what I paid for last year...can't go wrong...

Wanab
wanab is offline  
post #1363 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Omro, WI...USA
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
I hope you guys here could help me, since I have a HDMI (Handshake?) issue with my Xbox One X which is connected with the original Xbox cable to a Denon AVR which is connected to a LG OLED B8 with a 3 meter / 10 feet Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable.


Once in a while when playing a game with HDR the screen goes black for a second, the HDR logo shows from the TV and picture is up again. I can't reproduce it, it's only in some HDR games (RDR 2, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Borderlands 3, CoD Modern Warfare, but not in Gears 4/5, Forza Horizon 4 or AC Odyssey) and sometimes I play for hours and days and have nothing, sometimes its like one drop in one hour.



I read a lot of this issue but nothing really helps, I even tried switching between 8bit and 10bit or swithing Y4:2:2 on or off in the Xbox settings.



I haven't encountered any problems when playing 4K files with my media player yet which is connected to the Denon, its only the Xbox.


I found a video that shows the same issue with a different TV, it's shown at timecode 5:21



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW0JnyTjfA


Are there any "18gbps torture test files" available so I can check if it's the Amazon cable? Unfortunately I don't have the Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD mentioned here.

I am already considering buying a certified premium HDMI cable with 10 feet (I need a little more than the common 6 feet because of my TV Rack an cable canals) or a fiber HDMI cable like this from Azebee that some projector owners are using but I don't know how to force test this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2Y2BGM...ter_B07ZM76GHJ


Thanks in advance.
check this out on amazon DTECH 10 Meter Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 4K 60Hz 18Gbps HDR 444 422 420 Sub-Sampling High Speed in-Wall Rated this is flawless.....noticed now it is 40% less now than what I paid for last year...can't go wrong...

Wanab
wanab is offline  
post #1364 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
I hope you guys here could help me, since I have a HDMI (Handshake?) issue with my Xbox One X which is connected with the original Xbox cable to a Denon AVR which is connected to a LG OLED B8 with a 3 meter / 10 feet Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable....

I am already considering buying a certified premium HDMI cable with 10 feet... or a fiber HDMI cable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
check this out on amazon DTECH 10 Meter Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 4K 60Hz 18Gbps HDR 444 422 420 Sub-Sampling High Speed in-Wall Rated this is flawless.....noticed now it is 40% less now than what I paid for last year...can't go wrong...
Just a heads up: I bought the 15 meter length of this cable and mine did not pass the full 18Gbps. YMMV.

Fibre cables are thin, flexible, and a pleasure are to install; but all active cables can add other issues (as searching this thread will show). At only ten feet, I think you're better off with a passive cable. All Certified Premium cables have been (independently) tested to pass 18Gbps. You can buy any one. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will know it's not a cable issue.

Pip
Pip is offline  
post #1365 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Just a heads up: I bought the 15 meter length of this cable and mine did not pass the full 18Gbps. YMMV.

Fibre cables are thin, flexible, and a pleasure are to install; but all active cables can add other issues (as searching this thread will show). At only ten feet, I think you're better off with a passive cable. All Certified Premium cables have been (independently) tested to pass 18Gbps. You can buy any one. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will know it's not a cable issue.

Pip
I agree. Just purchase a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label for authenticity). They have been certified by HDMI.org to meet ALL HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications. Pay attention to bend radius and give yourself enough slack so that there is no undue strain on the HDMI input. At your length, a fiber or hybrid fiber cable is an overkill. You won't get any better performance than a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. I've used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables as well as Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables, both at the same lengths, on my system and saw no difference in performance. As a side note, Ruipro4k cables are tested by an ATC but can not get the Certified label because HDMI.org does not allow for certification of active copper-only, fiber, or hybrid fiber cables, yet.

There are more reports about the Xbox One having issues so it may be a setting somewhere. What is the cable length from the XBox One to the avr? Are all of your HDMI connected devices using the same HDMI hardware version?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1366 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for the heads up with the cables. I will try a certified cable first.

The cable from the Xbox is 6 feet.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
post #1367 of 1383 Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
Thanks for the heads up with the cables. I will try a certified cable first.

The cable from the Xbox is 6 feet.
Good. Keep in mind that no cable, certified or not, can offer a 100% guarantee that it will work for any given setup. The cable is just the data pipe. There are other factors that also come into play for a successful cable run.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1368 of 1383 Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Sorry to hear that. Looks like there could be some issues with these active cables and certain equipment. I received my Sony 4k projector today and did a quick test connecting the Mavislink between display and source (AppleTV 4K). No issues at all but unfortunately i couldn't test with receiver in between. I will use a Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar in my setup and connect all sources and display to this so hopefully this will work.

Will report my findings here when i've had the chance to test this.
A quick update on my tests with the MavisLink active cable. I have now used this cable in my setup with a Sony soundbar in-between the display & source and there has been absolutely zero issues since start. Very happy with this cable and it was a night & day difference to install it compared to the thick copper cables i`ve used in the past.

Highly recommend the MavisLink if anyone needs a good 50ft cable

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
BakeApples is online now  
post #1369 of 1383 Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
A quick update on my tests with the MavisLink active cable. I have now used this cable in my setup with a Sony soundbar in-between the display & source and there has been absolutely zero issues since start. Very happy with this cable and it was a night & day difference to install it compared to the thick copper cables i`ve used in the past.

Highly recommend the MavisLink if anyone needs a good 50ft cable
That's good to hear. Hopefully the cable will last. Just keep in mind that I've seen the connectors taken apart and compared to a more expensive hybrid fiber cable and the build quality, and number of components used is inferior to the higher priced cables. It is clearly a cheaper knock-off. But, if it works, for now, then that's all that matters.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1370 of 1383 Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM
Newbie
 
pukrnukr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just want to thank people in this thread who have been testing cables. After updating firmware and a full reset on my Pioneer Elite VSX LX301and changing cables to Vizio 65 PQX I finally have gotten Dolby Vision to work. I have Monoprice Dynamic View 8k cables from my 4k Apple TV and xbox one S to the pioneer and a Ruipro to the Vizio. Now just to get the Dolby Vision to not look washed out on the xbox which seems to be another common problem. The Apple TV looks fantastic though!
pukrnukr is offline  
post #1371 of 1383 Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,636
Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5677 Post(s)
Liked: 5536
Has anyone tested the monoprice certified premium ultra slim cables? They are certified premium just like their standard ones so I would hope they are ok, just in a thinner sleeve. I asking for 3-5ft distances only, thanks.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1372 of 1383 Old 11-14-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Has anyone tested the monoprice certified premium ultra slim cables? They are certified premium just like their standard ones so I would hope they are ok, just in a thinner sleeve. I asking for 3-5ft distances only, thanks.
At 5' you shouldn't have any issues at all. Just be mindful of bend radius.
beastaudio likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1373 of 1383 Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Here's a weird one... I tested 2, 6' Monoprice certifed cables and I couldn't get HDMI bitstream audio out from Xbox One X connected to my LG C9.However, when I used the Belkin Ultra HD High Speed Cable it worked. WHAT GIVES? Anyone else experience something like that?

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #1374 of 1383 Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Here's a weird one... I tested 2, 6' Monoprice certifed cables and I couldn't get HDMI bitstream audio out from Xbox One X connected to my LG C9.However, when I used the Belkin Ultra HD High Speed Cable it worked. WHAT GIVES? Anyone else experience something like that?
Sounds like the typical HDMI b.s. mess that we're in. IOW, there's no rhyme or reason why that should be. Belkin makes good cables, and so does Monoprice (carries, not makes). If the Monoprice cables came with the QR label, and you scanned them to make sure they were legit, then especially at 6' you shouldn't have had any issues. When I was using BJC certified cables, at that length, I had zero issues on two different HTS's. A cable marketed as UHS doesn't really mean much at this point in time because 18Gbps is the maximum, standardized bandwidth. However, if it works then that's all that matters.
helvetica bold likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1375 of 1383 Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Sounds like the typical HDMI b.s. mess that we're in. IOW, there's no rhyme or reason why that should be. Belkin makes good cables, and so does Monoprice (carries, not makes). If the Monoprice cables came with the QR label, and you scanned them to make sure they were legit, then especially at 6' you shouldn't have had any issues. When I was using BJC certified cables, at that length, I had zero issues on two different HTS's. A cable marketed as UHS doesn't really mean much at this point in time because 18Gbps is the maximum, standardized bandwidth. However, if it works then that's all that matters.


Both Monoprice cables have codes. I ended up purchasing another overpriced Belkin but it does the job. I’m going to contact Monoprice and see if they will give me a refund or replacements.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #1376 of 1383 Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Both Monoprice cables have codes. I ended up purchasing another overpriced Belkin but it does the job. I’m going to contact Monoprice and see if they will give me a refund or replacements.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd scan them none-the-less just to make sure. Monoprice should refund your money if they didn't perform as expected. I could see one of the cables being bad but two is really unusual, unless they both came from the same retailer. You might want to try BJC certified cables. They've always worked for me and they would be less expensive than the Belkin, at least they should.
helvetica bold likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1377 of 1383 Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'd scan them none-the-less just to make sure. Monoprice should refund your money if they didn't perform as expected. I could see one of the cables being bad but two is really unusual, unless they both came from the same retailer. You might want to try BJC certified cables. They've always worked for me and they would be less expensive than the Belkin, at least they should.
Thanks for the advice! I just ordered a 2" BJC Belden Series-FE for my AVR into my TV. I don't trust Monoprice now so I'm replacing them. I already ordered the Belkin so I'll use that for my Xbox. I assume there's no issue with using different HDMI cables for home theater.
I assume HDMI Bitstream output on the Xbox uses more bandwidth than uncompressed 2.0 stereo?
That what started this issue.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #1378 of 1383 Old 11-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi,

I have a 30’ run between my Samsung Q90R and my PC so that I can game in 120Hz. After reading this thread I am undecided between the 50’ Mavislink And 50’ Ruipro 4K cable. Is the cost savings of the Mavislink worth it? Or should I go for higher quality.

There is a bend on a corner of a door that I am concern about. Here is a picture of the bend that I will need. Can someone tell me if this bend is ok with the Ruipro or Mahislink cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C5F54AF-0E82-4734-AA16-0365571314EC_1574094926488.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2642662  
ohiocardsfan is offline  
post #1379 of 1383 Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,341
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Thanks for the advice! I just ordered a 2" BJC Belden Series-FE for my AVR into my TV. I don't trust Monoprice now so I'm replacing them. I already ordered the Belkin so I'll use that for my Xbox. I assume there's no issue with using different HDMI cables for home theater.
I assume HDMI Bitstream output on the Xbox uses more bandwidth than uncompressed 2.0 stereo?
That what started this issue.
I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirement is for bitstream but I'm sure it's well within the HDMI 2.0 specifications so it doesn't matter what Belkin claims their cables can handle (48Gbps?), it's the HDMI chipsets at the source/sink end that will determine if the signal error correction, timing requirements, etc meet specs passes the signal without issues. If all of your devices are utilizing the latest HDMI 2.0 chipsets, there shouldn't be any issues, especially at your lengths. BJC Belden Series-FE is what I've used in the past without any audio/video issues at all.

I prefer to keep all of my cables the same but it probably doesn't matter if you don't have any issues with a "mixed bag" of cables. I also keep my cable runs to a minimum length as long as the bend radius is gentle and there is no strain on the HDMI inputs.

I really dislike HDMI in general but it is what it is.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1380 of 1383 Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirement is for bitstream but I'm sure it's well within the HDMI 2.0 specifications so it doesn't matter what Belkin claims their cables can handle (48Gbps?), it's the HDMI chipsets at the source/sink end that will determine if the signal error correction, timing requirements, etc meet specs passes the signal without issues. If all of your devices are utilizing the latest HDMI 2.0 chipsets, there shouldn't be any issues, especially at your lengths. BJC Belden Series-FE is what I've used in the past without any audio/video issues at all.



I prefer to keep all of my cables the same but it probably doesn't matter if you don't have any issues with a "mixed bag" of cables. I also keep my cable runs to a minimum length as long as the bend radius is gentle and there is no strain on the HDMI inputs.



I really dislike HDMI in general but it is what it is.


It’s interesting to note that the 2 Monoprice cables that failed to pass Bitstream were bought a year apart. I requested a refund through Amazon/Monoprice support.
I don’t mind a mixed bag of cables for now.
I assume next year we’ll get true certified
HDMI 2.1 cables at some.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off