TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 505Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Good luck. 40' is tough for a lot of cables so let us know how it works out.
The Monoprice Cabernet worked totally fine for about a month. I even watched something as recent as yesterday morning. Then in the afternoon, my seating is delivered, I install my surrounds, sit down to dial things in an no video! Ugh!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it appears that when the HDMI cable went, the main HDMI output port on the receiver (Denon X3500) went too. The 40' active cable doesnt work on any ports or devices, so I know it is toast. The HDMI1 output on the receiver doesn't send a signal to any device even with short 3' standard HDMI cables. The HDMI2 output does work. I even did a factory reset on the receiver and get the same result. Very odd how it all happened at once.

I don't know which one caused the other to happen, but regardless, I am now sending back not only the HDMI cable (and hopefully upgrading with the Ruipro fiber cable), but also the receiver. Was really looking forward to getting everything dialed in and enjoying the first proper showing in the theater, but that is on hold for a while it seems.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

| 135" SilverTicket AT screen | BenQ HT2050 | (3) DIY 18" Subs - 1 HT18 & 2 PN470 | iNuke DSP6000 amp |
4fit? is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
The Monoprice Cabernet worked totally fine for about a month. I even watched something as recent as yesterday morning. Then in the afternoon, my seating is delivered, I install my surrounds, sit down to dial things in an no video! Ugh!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it appears that when the HDMI cable went, the main HDMI output port on the receiver (Denon X3500) went too. The 40' active cable doesnt work on any ports or devices, so I know it is toast. The HDMI1 output on the receiver doesn't send a signal to any device even with short 3' standard HDMI cables. The HDMI2 output does work. I even did a factory reset on the receiver and get the same result. Very odd how it all happened at once.

I don't know which one caused the other to happen, but regardless, I am now sending back not only the HDMI cable (and hopefully upgrading with the Ruipro fiber cable), but also the receiver. Was really looking forward to getting everything dialed in and enjoying the first proper showing in the theater, but that is on hold for a while it seems.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Active HDMI cables should not damage the connected HDMI ports because they only draw about 50mA of power. It sounds like there was a failure with one of the HDMI ports (short, power spike, etc) that the cables were connected to.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1473 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Active HDMI cables should not damage the connected HDMI ports because they only draw about 50mA of power. It sounds like there was a failure with one of the HDMI ports (short, power spike, etc) that the cables were connected to.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Really sucks that's for sure. I have a feeling I could reorder the same Cabernet cable and it would work fine since it worked before, but I figured if I have to replace it, I might as well swap it for a fiber cable just to be safe.

As for the receiver, I'm going to replace it with the same model. I've only had it for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

| 135" SilverTicket AT screen | BenQ HT2050 | (3) DIY 18" Subs - 1 HT18 & 2 PN470 | iNuke DSP6000 amp |
4fit? is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1474 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Really sucks that's for sure. I have a feeling I could reorder the same Cabernet cable and it would work fine since it worked before, but I figured if I have to replace it, I might as well swap it for a fiber cable just to be safe.

As for the receiver, I'm going to replace it with the same model. I've only had it for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I'd hate to think that your new Denon has a blown HDMI port. Did you have a power outage? I have two HTS's and both of them are on APC UPS units. We don't get power outages that often but it's not a bad idea. The UPS's I use are probably not the best given the investment I have in my systems but they are better than nothing. I've never had a blown HDMI port on any of my receivers (Yamaha). That sucks.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1475 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'd hate to think that your new Denon has a blown HDMI port. Did you have a power outage? I have two HTS's and both of them are on APC UPS units. We don't get power outages that often but it's not a bad idea. The UPS's I use are probably not the best given the investment I have in my systems but they are better than nothing. I've never had a blown HDMI port on any of my receivers (Yamaha). That sucks.
Did not have a power outage, but the furniture delivery guys toggled my light switch in some manner that tripped the breaker for the lights/standard outlets in that room. However, the Denon (along with a few other items) were plugged into a surge protector that is on a dedicated 20amp circuit completely separate from the breaker that tripped, so I don't *think* that had anything to do with it, though it is an odd coincidence.

I've got a UPS downstairs that I may bring to the theater.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

| 135" SilverTicket AT screen | BenQ HT2050 | (3) DIY 18" Subs - 1 HT18 & 2 PN470 | iNuke DSP6000 amp |
4fit? is online now  
post #1476 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
Did not have a power outage, but the furniture delivery guys toggled my light switch in some manner that tripped the breaker for the lights/standard outlets in that room. However, the Denon (along with a few other items) were plugged into a surge protector that is on a dedicated 20amp circuit completely separate from the breaker that tripped, so I don't *think* that had anything to do with it, though it is an odd coincidence.

I've got a UPS downstairs that I may bring to the theater.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

That is weird. In our previous home, the HTS was on the other side of the wall where the refrigerator was and both were on the same circuit. Never had any power issues with the receiver et al when the compressor turned on (lucky I guess). Toggling the light switch shouldn't have tripped a breaker so it sounds like a wiring issue, if that's what it was.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1477 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That is weird. In our previous home, the HTS was on the other side of the wall where the refrigerator was and both were on the same circuit. Never had any power issues with the receiver et al when the compressor turned on (lucky I guess). Toggling the light switch shouldn't have tripped a breaker so it sounds like a wiring issue, if that's what it was.
I've got a temporary light up and I imagine a ground is touching somewhere when the switch for what would be a ceiling fan is thrown by mistake. I need to get my light ordered and tackle that issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

| 135" SilverTicket AT screen | BenQ HT2050 | (3) DIY 18" Subs - 1 HT18 & 2 PN470 | iNuke DSP6000 amp |
4fit? is online now  
post #1478 of 1498 Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
I've got a temporary light up and I imagine a ground is touching somewhere when the switch for what would be a ceiling fan is thrown by mistake. I need to get my light ordered and tackle that issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds reasonable.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1479 of 1498 Old 04-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

Can someone provide any feedback on the Monoprice Luxe Active HDMI cable - Monoprice item 13757

I ordered the 30-feet cable. Does it support HDMI 2.0a? Is it a reliable cable?

My set-up is as follows (from TV to source): Sony XBR85X950G 85" Bravia TV --> (30 feet) Denon AVRS700W --> (2 feet) Apple TV 4K

Questions:
1) Does the Luxe Active HDMI cable support HDMI 2.0a?
2) Is this cable reliable at 30 feet?
3) The run from the Bravia to the Denon receiver is going through a conduit in the wall. Any issues with the bending of the cable?

Non-cable related question: Denon says that the AVRS700W supports 4K and is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Will it pass through Dolby Vision and HDR10 through to the TV?

Thanks very much for your assistance.
rushabh is offline  
post #1480 of 1498 Old 04-12-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushabh View Post
Hello everyone,

Can someone provide any feedback on the Monoprice Luxe Active HDMI cable - Monoprice item 13757

I ordered the 30-feet cable. Does it support HDMI 2.0a? Is it a reliable cable?

My set-up is as follows (from TV to source): Sony XBR85X950G 85" Bravia TV --> (30 feet) Denon AVRS700W --> (2 feet) Apple TV 4K

Questions:
1) Does the Luxe Active HDMI cable support HDMI 2.0a?
2) Is this cable reliable at 30 feet?
3) The run from the Bravia to the Denon receiver is going through a conduit in the wall. Any issues with the bending of the cable?

Non-cable related question: Denon says that the AVRS700W supports 4K and is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Will it pass through Dolby Vision and HDR10 through to the TV?

Thanks very much for your assistance.
The cable is an active High Speed HDMI cable so yes, it will support HDMI 2.0. Being as the cable is active, it can not be certified by HDMI.org to meet the HDMI 2.0 standard. 30' can be a bit difficult depending on your setup but not impossible. Keep in mind that an active cable is designed to propagate the signal over longer distances with no loss or errors, in theory. It does nothing to improve the signal. That's not a problem for 1080 but 4k HDR is a lot more finicky with its connection so all you can do is try. ARC may or may not work well if that is something you need/want.

The use of conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling so you're good to go there, as long as the conduit diameter is large enough to easily accommodate the cable connector ends without having to pull it through by the connectors. Bend radius is always an issue so as long as you don't have any sharp 90 degree bends you should be ok. The most reliable connection is a single run, source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. I would lay the cable out on the floor first and test it thoroughly before installing it.

The Monoprice cable should be able to handle HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10) ok.

Apple TV 4k (source) -> Denon (sink). Denon (source) -> Sony (sink).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1481 of 1498 Old 04-12-2020, 11:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The cable is an active High Speed HDMI cable so yes, it will support HDMI 2.0. Being as the cable is active, it can not be certified by HDMI.org to meet the HDMI 2.0 standard. 30' can be a bit difficult depending on your setup but not impossible. Keep in mind that an active cable is designed to propagate the signal over longer distances with no loss or errors, in theory. It does nothing to improve the signal. That's not a problem for 1080 but 4k HDR is a lot more finicky with its connection so all you can do is try. ARC may or may not work well if that is something you need/want.

The use of conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling so you're good to go there, as long as the conduit diameter is large enough to easily accommodate the cable connector ends without having to pull it through by the connectors. Bend radius is always an issue so as long as you don't have any sharp 90 degree bends you should be ok. The most reliable connection is a single run, source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. I would lay the cable out on the floor first and test it thoroughly before installing it.

The Monoprice cable should be able to handle HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10) ok.

Apple TV 4k (source) -> Denon (sink). Denon (source) -> Sony (sink).
Thank you very much for this informative answer. Appreciate the quick response!
rushabh is offline  
post #1482 of 1498 Old 04-13-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushabh View Post
Thank you very much for this informative answer. Appreciate the quick response!

You're welcome. Just keep in mind that no cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time for all setups regardless of the product description or marketing spin. The Monoprice cable does have the latest Spectra 7 chipsets so that's a big plus.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1483 of 1498 Old 04-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone confirm that the RuiPro 4K Hybrid HDMI cables are not eARC compatible? Meaning that if I were to use them in my Home Theatre to run from the LG OLED back to the Denon ARVX-2600H, there would be no Atmos track if something from the TV has Atmos i.e. Netflix, etc.? I would need a different cable?
remsta is offline  
post #1484 of 1498 Old 04-14-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
Can someone confirm that the RuiPro 4K Hybrid HDMI cables are not eARC compatible? Meaning that if I were to use them in my Home Theatre to run from the LG OLED back to the Denon ARVX-2600H, there would be no Atmos track if something from the TV has Atmos i.e. Netflix, etc.? I would need a different cable?

The Ruipro4k cables are eARC compatible but at lengths over 15m reliability may become an issue. This is true for any cable and eARC in general. Distance can be an issue.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1485 of 1498 Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I would add that as always you will want to test the system before you 'install' a cable to ensure your combination of AVR > RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable > TV works as required for eARC.

Joe

PS The same would hold true no matter which cable you plan to install.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #1486 of 1498 Old 04-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The Ruipro4k cables are eARC compatible but at lengths over 15m reliability may become an issue. This is true for any cable and eARC in general. Distance can be an issue.
So from what I read the RuiPro 4K HDMI cable is only compatible with HDMI 2.0 standard. eARC was introduced as part of HDMI 2.1 meaning you need a 2.1 cable and the only RuiPro HDMI 2.1 cable is the 8K one.

"HDMI 2.0 a/b connections and cables can manage up to 18Gbps bandwidth A/V signals. Despite this hardware great capability, the ARC function is limited to just 1 Mbps bandwidth. So, due to this "not hardware related" limitation, currently there is NO WAY to passthrough audio bitstream signals such as Dolby True HD/Atmos and DTS HD Master Audio/:X via ARC."
remsta is offline  
post #1487 of 1498 Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
So from what I read the RuiPro 4K HDMI cable is only compatible with HDMI 2.0 standard. eARC was introduced as part of HDMI 2.1 meaning you need a 2.1 cable and the only RuiPro HDMI 2.1 cable is the 8K one.

"HDMI 2.0 a/b connections and cables can manage up to 18Gbps bandwidth A/V signals. Despite this hardware great capability, the ARC function is limited to just 1 Mbps bandwidth. So, due to this "not hardware related" limitation, currently there is NO WAY to passthrough audio bitstream signals such as Dolby True HD/Atmos and DTS HD Master Audio/:X via ARC."
The is no such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable. There are cables that have been tested, but not certified, for some or most of the HDMI 2.1 option sets. 8k is not possible with current panels and there aren't any video sources that require the 48Gbps bandwidth, so any cable that advertises that has to be taken on faith because there aren't any consumer devices or source material that can utilize that bandwidth.

eARC is possible with the HDMI 2.0 chipsets if the device mfr chose to allow for a firmware update, even though it was announced as part of the HDMI 2.1 option sets. eARC does allow for HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, lossless Atmos, etc) whereas ARC is limited to DD and sometimes lossy Atmos. Both devices, source and sink need to have HDMI chipsets that offer the same option sets. Firmware updated HDMI 2.0 chipsets can handle eARC in some cases. It's the HDMI chipsets that determine what you can do, not necessarily the cable. The cable is just the data pipe. HDMI 2.0 chipsets are standardized to 18Gbps so that's the maximum reliable bandwidth that you are going to be able to utilize. Fully capable (full option sets) HDMI 2.1 chipsets (8k, 48Gbps, etc) are not available yet in most consumer devices. And, according to the HDMI.org marketing and product description guidelines, any device that indicates it is HDMI 2.1 must list which HDMI 2.1 option sets are available.

I have tested the Ruipro4k cables for Ruipro and am currently using them on my system with no issues. I am also testing their 8k cables as well. However, I don't use or need ARC/eARC so that is not part of my testing. That being said, the Ruipro4k cables are tested by an ATC to meet all of the HDMI 2.0 option sets. However, being as they are active cables they can not be labeled as certified nor receive the QR label for authenticity according to the HDMI 2.0 guidelines. The Ruipro4k cables were tested for eARC, and passed, but the limitation was about 15m. ARC/eARC is limited to distance and the longer your cable run is, the more you are apt to have an issue with eARC. Cable installation is also important. The Ruipro8k cables required a better power consumption configuration in their chipsets and Ruipro is still improving on them. While they have been tested by the same ATC as the 4k cables, there have been some issue that came up that has required to go back and rework the chipsets. The CV-19 pandemic has pretty much put all of that on hold and Ruipro is just starting to get back on track.

The most reliable and successful connection will be a single cable run, source to sink, with no adapters, extenders, wall plates, etc in-between.

How long is your cable run and do you know the HDMI hardware protocols that your connected devices have?

@Joe Fernand is correct. Thoroughly test whatever cable you get before final installation to make sure it meets your needs. Lay it out on the floor if need be.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1488 of 1498 Old 04-15-2020, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

How long is your cable run and do you know the HDMI hardware protocols that your connected devices have?
Thanks for this detailed write up Otto, this is great!

Our house will not be built until November 2020 and such we have told the builder to put in 50mm Conduit to ensure there is enough space and we can pull in whatever we need come installation. At this point in time we are looking at a Denon AVRX-2600H or AVRX-3600H and a LG OLED GX Series 65" TV.

I will see if we can get away with a 10m cable but as it is going around the edge of the room to the back where the equiptment will be housed in a closet it might need to be 15m.

So the RuiPro 4K Hybrid HDMI 2.0 cable should support Atmos?

Thanks.
remsta is offline  
post #1489 of 1498 Old 04-15-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
Thanks for this detailed write up Otto, this is great!

Our house will not be built until November 2020 and such we have told the builder to put in 50mm Conduit to ensure there is enough space and we can pull in whatever we need come installation. At this point in time we are looking at a Denon AVRX-2600H or AVRX-3600H and a LG OLED GX Series 65" TV.

I will see if we can get away with a 10m cable but as it is going around the edge of the room to the back where the equiptment will be housed in a closet it might need to be 15m.

So the RuiPro 4K Hybrid HDMI 2.0 cable should support Atmos?

Thanks.
1.5" - 2.0" conduit is recommended. Smooth interior (not ribbed) with a pull string makes for an easy cable pull and gives you room for extra cable. I'd run some solid copper core CAT-6a (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated CAT-6 ethernet cable) cabling as well. You can always use it to extend an ethernet connection with punch down keystone jacks or extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. Be very mindful of bend radius because you don't want any sharp 90 degree bends.

eARC and Atmos is possible with HDMI 2.0 should be doable at 30' but you never know until you try. There are no 100% guarantees that any cable will work for a given setup because there's more to a successful connection than just the cable. The Ruipro4k cables are made very well and tested thoroughly but you really need to test it out yourself before installation to make sure that it is going to meet your needs.

Your future AVR should at least be able to pass eARC but just make sure it is stated somewhere in the specs.

Distance can be a problem for eARC/Atmos so that's why we say test it yourself and don't just go on what the mfr says it can do. Everyone's setup is different. I know the Ruipor8k cables come with a voltage inserter which may be useful at times in case there just isn't enough current to carry the signal from point A to point B without issues. I've tested the voltage inserters but didn't see any difference in signal, but I didn't have any issues to begin with. There may be some degradation of signal because it's not a straight, source to sink connection with no "breaks" but as far as pq goes, I didn't see any difference.

Ruipro hybrid fiber cables are expensive, and the 8k product, when it is tweaked and begins shipping will be even more expensive. There are other hybrid fiber cables to pick from but I've seen the connector ends disassembled and compared side to side with the Ruipro and the build quality of the Ruipro is just better. That being said, with a properly installed conduit and a careful cable pull, you can try different vendors if the Ruipro doesn't work until you find one that does, or upgrade your cable when the time comes. The 8k cables are gonna be awesome but it really is more cable than one needs right now until HDMI 2.1 devices are out in the wild and there is source content to support the 48Gbps bandwidth.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 04-15-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1490 of 1498 Old 04-16-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 353
'I will see if we can get away with a 10m cable but as it is going around the edge of the room to the back where the equiptment will be housed in a closet it might need to be 15m' - I wouldn't worry about installing the longer RuiPro4K cable in terms of eARC if that is going to give you more flexibly and some 'spare' cable to allow you move things around without ever endangering a 'too short' cable.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #1491 of 1498 Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A bump in the thread :-)

Good Afternoon All,

Very long time lurker here ... first time post ...

Having read this and many of the other threads, I feel generally informed on the current status of 4K / eARC long distance cabling (particularly Ruipro and Monoprice) ... thanks!!! ... but do still have a couple of nuanced questions.

I am currently in the process of remodeling a house we recently purchased, and fortunately / unfortunately the living family room is a gigantic space 25' x 40' ... the tv (Sony 77A9G) is going above a fireplace which has floor to ceiling windows on each side ... and have the typical wife problem that all of the guts (likely a denon AVRX 3600 or 4500) MUST be hidden. The nearest storage area that makes sense is in office which, while adjacent to the family room is on the opposite side of the fireplace. As such the runs are likely 80' to 100'. I have placed 1" conduit (solid concrete block core fireplace material) with a pull chord.

Additionally, I know that the current 8K 48GBs product from Monoprice is NOT CL2/3 rated, and RuiPro 8K is only 50'. (Note: I know that many have stated that it shouldn't be a big deal, but language in most people's insurance policies are changing, and the NEC is much more stringent and has specifically called out / reclassified low-voltage wiring to now require labeling ... Given the amount of remodeling I have gone through, that is not an argument I want to get into if the unfortunate does occur).

Here are my questions? (Hoping that there might have been updates since previous posts)

-> I see that Monoprice product 27393 is CMP rated, but it is inconclusive regarding ARC or eARC ... I realize and have seen Joe's comments about the sporadic nature of ARC/eARC, but has anyone had any luck at the 80/100' distance? Additionally, while it is CMP rated, is it stamped on the cover? I have read many comments that Monoprice will state something is tested but it isn't labeled on the actual product ... has anyone seen this product directly?

Regarding my situation for e-ARC ...
(While it would be ideal to plug everything into the AVR, I have spent a fortune on stored Amazon content and my wife has just got used to the concept of "SmartTVs" ... having her try to navigate the AVR in addition to a tv is a no go ... and since I am setting up a 7.1 sound system, it would be nice for the Dolby Digital Plus to feed back to the AVR)

-> Similarly I see the RuiPro 4K on amazon (see link below) ... In the description it says ARC, but in the attached pictures it says e-ARC ... even if I select 30M ... is that only for shorter distances? Is this just a one person's guess / situation is different than another's? Also ... it is unclear if the cable is labeled CL2/3 ... again, has anyone had any luck / experience?

AMAZON ... /RUIPRO-Supports-HDMI2-0b-4K60HZ-Bandwidth/dp/B07B7LGGH8?th=1

If neither of the options can do eARC nor are they in-wall rated ... has any heard of any HDBT rumors of supporting eARC? I have seen a couple that support ARC, but I haven't seen anything specific on eARC.

And one final question (I know that this should probably go in a different area ... but it is all interconnected) ... has anyone used kplisch PRO-180RPC LCR for front left and right speakers? I will be using the Sony A9G with its new sound tech as the center, but as I mentioned left and right of the fireplace is floor to ceiling windows, so in-wall is out of the question ...

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments!
jshadams782 is offline  
post #1492 of 1498 Old 05-07-2020, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
CL2/3 is a fire rating. It has nothing to do with the cable's performance. The current Ruipro4k cable has been tested for a CL2 rating but is waiting approval the last I heard. They are coming out with an improved 4k cable late this month or next month so it might have the CL2 rating for the jacket by then.


The 1" conduit is good. I would've installed a 1.5" - 2.0" just to give extra space for future pulls but 1" should suffice for an HDMI cable and at least one run of solid copper core CAT-6 or 6a (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable. You can always use the CAT-6 to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with punch down keystone jacks or extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT.


Speaking of HDBT, there is supposed to be a new version of the Valens chipsets that supports uncompressed video. They were announced over a year ago but I don't know if there are any devices that have shipped yet.



80' - 100' for 4k HDR is going to be difficult for any cable type, and almost impossible for reliable ARC let alone eARC.


I wouldn't worry about 48Gbps and HDMI 2.1. It's going to be quite awhile before there will be source material available that requires the 48Gbps bandwidth let alone devices that have HDMI 2.1 chipsets that have been fully validated for all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets. If you're thinking on "future proofing" you've already done that by using conduit. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof because video technology will always outpace connection technology so you need a way to easily and safely upgrade your cable when the time comes. HDMI 2.0 is standardized around 18Gbps which is sufficient for 4k HDR. Even if a cable is certified for 48Gbps, without a source pushing that bandwidth it's really meaningless.


Ruipro4k cables should be able to do eARC up to 15m (about 50') but longer than that, it's problematic. And it's not just Ruipro. Any cable mfr is going to have issues at your stated lengths, regardless of their marketing or product descriptions.


I've tested the Ruipro 4k and 8k cables and the jackets are not stamped with anything, so there is no way to determine fire rating and in the case of the 8k cable, it is not labeled as Ultra High Speed HDMI. That may change because as I said, Ruipro is coming out with an improved 4k cable and they've re-engineered their 8k cables so they should be available as soon as current testing is completed and they are back up to running at 100% since CV-19.


Hybrid fiber cables is what you want to go with (Ruipro is a hybrid fiber cable) but they are active cables, so they need a reliable power source at the source/sink end. That's where you encounter issues with ARC/eARC at long distances and some of the more demanding option sets of HDMI. The Ruipro8k cables come, or at least the ones that I tested, with voltage inserters in case you need more reliable power at the HDMI port. They are not a guarantee that they will correct any issues but at least you have something to try.

The most reliable connection is a single cable run, from source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc. in-between. This is especially important for active cables, copper only or hybrid fiber and 4k HDR.



Distance is going to be your biggest issue.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1493 of 1498 Old 05-08-2020, 04:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Long distance run

Otto -- thanks!

That is unfortunate regarding ARC and eARC, but helpful to know ... I do wish Amazon (and to a certain extant RuiPro) would change the marketing designations based on the length of cable chosen.

I am well aware of CL2/3 being a fire rating ... hence my commentary about insurance / NEC code ... unfortunately, RuiPro's current lack of labeling rules them out. FWIW, I am in the Finance / Insurance / Energy industry and I am starting to see this discussion really ramp up. If you have a preexisting situation, and all you did is run cables ... I suspect it will be darn near impossible to prove anything. Conversely, if you have been doing a bunch of remodeling requiring all sorts of city inspections ... an Insurance company would have line of sight to say you must have added "X" cable post inspection because it wouldn't have passed and thus creating the "possibility" of liability or mitigating circumstance.

Yeah, I am already pulling two Cat7 (just trying to beat the curve a little) wires. I would have loved to done 1.5" but the fireplace construction behind the granite (which is fun enough) is solid concrete blocks ... an inch may as well have been a mile . Regarding that, one bit of additional code thought ... when recommending someone to put in an >1" conduit, you might want to add that should be bored vs notched ... a 1.5" notch on an exterior or load bearing 2x4 studded wall would be way over the 25% allowance and THAT could be no bueno

Again, thanks for the specificity!!! ... it certainly helped in NOT purchasing some expensive stuff to only have to return it. I will have to play the wait and see, and constant search and double checking game.

Cheers!
jshadams782 is offline  
post #1494 of 1498 Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadams782 View Post
Otto -- thanks!

That is unfortunate regarding ARC and eARC, but helpful to know ... I do wish Amazon (and to a certain extant RuiPro) would change the marketing designations based on the length of cable chosen.

I am well aware of CL2/3 being a fire rating ... hence my commentary about insurance / NEC code ... unfortunately, RuiPro's current lack of labeling rules them out. FWIW, I am in the Finance / Insurance / Energy industry and I am starting to see this discussion really ramp up. If you have a preexisting situation, and all you did is run cables ... I suspect it will be darn near impossible to prove anything. Conversely, if you have been doing a bunch of remodeling requiring all sorts of city inspections ... an Insurance company would have line of sight to say you must have added "X" cable post inspection because it wouldn't have passed and thus creating the "possibility" of liability or mitigating circumstance.

Yeah, I am already pulling two Cat7 (just trying to beat the curve a little) wires. I would have loved to done 1.5" but the fireplace construction behind the granite (which is fun enough) is solid concrete blocks ... an inch may as well have been a mile . Regarding that, one bit of additional code thought ... when recommending someone to put in an >1" conduit, you might want to add that should be bored vs notched ... a 1.5" notch on an exterior or load bearing 2x4 studded wall would be way over the 25% allowance and THAT could be no bueno

Again, thanks for the specificity!!! ... it certainly helped in NOT purchasing some expensive stuff to only have to return it. I will have to play the wait and see, and constant search and double checking game.

Cheers!

Solid copper core CAT-7 is probably an overkill because CAT-7 is not ratified, I think that's the correct term, like CAT-6 or 6a is, and it's very expensive. With conduit, you can just run solid core CAT-6a and probably be fine for a long time. If, and when CAT-7 design/specs are agreed upon, then you could just pull a new wire if you needed to.


Cable markings have become confusing because it appears that a lot of mfrs don't want to bother with printing cable ratings for LV wiring on their cables like they used to. You can probably download a spec sheet for the cable and file that away if you needed to. For the LV wiring in the conduit that I had installed, I didn't bother with inspections and just used solid copper CAT-6 that is labeled as CM. The solid core cable is from Sewell which makes very good cabling. Ruipro hybrid fiber cable is about as good as you can get right now for HDMI. And the connector ends are a slimline design so they should fish relatively easy thru the 1" conduit as long as you didn't use conduit that is"ribbed" on the inside. It should be smooth on the inside for ease of use. If the conduit is fire rated, then the LV wiring inside shouldn't matter. I don't worry about LV wiring if it's high quality wiring and installed correctly.



Ruipro is coming out with new 4k and 8k cable designs so hopefully they will stamp their cables or at least put that information in accompanied product spec sheet, or at least make it available. What ever you do, lay your cable out on the floor first and thoroughly test it before you install.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #1495 of 1498 Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
video cutting out

I asked this in the HT3550 thread, but this may be a better place, since it seems to be hdmi connection related.


I have a BenQ HT3550 projector driven by ONKYO TX-SR494 amp (both brand new).
They are connected with a Monoprice 115430 Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 15ft (complete with fancy certified QR code).

I get 2-3 second video dropouts every several minutes.
This is independent of video source (eg, 1080p from ps4, or 2160/60 from chromecast ultra, or 2160/60 from a laptop).

But:
- There are no dropouts if I go straight from the PC on the same 15' cable.
- There are no dropouts using a shorter (10ft?) rocketfish cable between the amp and the Projector.


I have replaced the Monoprice cable in case it was defective, with no effect.

Are there suggestions as to what my next step could be?


I have gotten one suggestion to return/replace the amp (since the cables are certified and work with the laptop), and another to return/replace the cable (since the amp works with the shorter cable).

Should I return & replace the cable (if so, with what)?

Should I return & replace the amp (are some brands more prone to this kind of trouble than others)?
Or return and replace both?
Barth Netterfield is offline  
post #1496 of 1498 Old Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,698
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Its almost June aren't we supposed to see some certified ultra high speed cables soon? I know we don't have real 2.1 sources but I thought it was mentioned CES we should expect cables in June.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
helvetica bold is online now  
post #1497 of 1498 Old Today, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,658
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6021 Post(s)
Liked: 8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Its almost June aren't we supposed to see some certified ultra high speed cables soon? I know we don't have real 2.1 sources but I thought it was mentioned CES we should expect cables in June.
Yes but that was before Covid19. All the dates will slip now.
helvetica bold likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #1498 of 1498 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 20,280
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Its almost June aren't we supposed to see some certified ultra high speed cables soon? I know we don't have real 2.1 sources but I thought it was mentioned CES we should expect cables in June.
Isn't that like putting the cart before the horse.... with no horse?



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; Today at 12:50 PM.
Ratman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off