Bi-directional HDMI A/B switch that supports 18gbps (for 4K HDR 4:4:4) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RafaelSmith

post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Bi-directional HDMI A/B switch that supports 18gbps (for 4K HDR 4:4:4)

As title says...

I'm looking for this:

EDIT: Can't post links... Well, what I'm looking for is exactly the Fosmon HD8024 bi-directional A/B switcher but...

... I need one that supports the full bandwidth (18gbps).

It needs to be an A/B switcher because it's the only way to fully isolate both the projector's and the TV's respective EDIDs.

Does such a beast exist?

Bought 2 (different brands) of the mentioned switches/splitters already and pretty much received the same thing twice...

(Goal is like everyone else: 4K TV and 3D-FHD projector, going thru 4K AVR)

EDIT: I know the Sewell IBIS does 4:2:0, but I want a 4:4:4 one for future proofing.

Last edited by TopperCNC; 11-03-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 347
'It needs to be an A/B switcher because it's the only way to fully isolate both the projector's and the TV's respective EDIDs.' - unless you have a device which is designed to store and recall multiple EDID setup's or will down convert one Output to 1080p.

Have a look at the HDfury Integral, Vertex or AVRkey - all support 2160p, 60Hz, 4:4:4.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2017, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand
unless you have a device which is designed to store and recall multiple EDID setup's or will down convert one Output to 1080p.

Have a look at the HDfury Integral, Vertex or AVRkey - all support 2160p, 60Hz, 4:4:4.

Joe
Yeah I had read about the HDFury devices after seeing them mentioned by name in one of your comments (thank you, by the way).

However, the purpose of the device I'm looking for is so minimal that I fail to justify the attached price tag (it's a case of "can but won't"). The switcher I used with my 1080p setup was perfect and at 8.99 it was a no brainer.

I have mailed Sewell about their IBIS box and their support people mailed me back saying that they're working with their supplier to (maybe) have a new revision of the box that'd work with 18gbps. No guarantee, but they told me to check with them again in a couple months.

I'd very much like to get a Vertex from HDFury, but I'm in Canada and with the exchange rate, S&H and duties, I'd be looking at $500+, which is far beyond my price threshold for the intended use.

Thank you again, Joe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in the same boat as OP, but for different reasons. 1080p projector, 4k HDR (LG C7) tv but AVR is 2013 and doesn't support HDCP2.2.
My only real 4k HDR source is now an Xbox One X, but I need A/B switch to allow my Xbox to run with all its fury on the tv, then run an input to my AVR when I'm happy with 1080p on the projector.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidefc View Post
I'm in the same boat as OP, but for different reasons. 1080p projector, 4k HDR (LG C7) tv but AVR is 2013 and doesn't support HDCP2.2.
My only real 4k HDR source is now an Xbox One X, but I need A/B switch to allow my Xbox to run with all its fury on the tv, then run an input to my AVR when I'm happy with 1080p on the projector.
Also in the same boat. Looking for a simple manual a/b switch to be able to use my XB1X on either my 4k/HDR tv or 1080p projector. My AVR is also circa 2012 with HDMI 1.4.

You would think finding something that is nothing more than the equivalent of me swapping which cable is plugged into the XBOX would be easy.
adelaidefc likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Also in the same boat. Looking for a simple manual a/b switch to be able to use my XB1X on either my 4k/HDR tv or 1080p projector. My AVR is also circa 2012 with HDMI 1.4.

You would think finding something that is nothing more than the equivalent of me swapping which cable is plugged into the XBOX would be easy.
Seems like almost the easiest way is getting a 4:4:4 splitter then on one of the outputs a downscaler to connect back to the AVR to avoid the lowest common denominator issue on the splitter. Seems crazy!

I'm still tempted to try the IBIS the OP mentioned above. It's possible that things might work at YCC 4:2:0 for at least some things, but with postage to Australia at $30USD it's a pretty big gamble! I can't post links but according to MS, it might work? Search: "Microsoft 4k xbox one technical requirements"

Also found another option for 58EU delivered - a bidirectional switcher. Model number AVS-SWB1331
And another Siig CE-H22K12-S1 which is a little more.

All of these are gambles - only the IBIS will definitely avoid the 'lowest common denominator' problem (and even that is fiddly according to amazon reviews).

Last edited by adelaidefc; 12-10-2017 at 09:30 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone every find a solution to this. Looking to connect an Xbox One X via a 1x2 switcher to 2 TV's (both 4k only 1 with HDR). I looked around Amazon and found a couple options but not sure they will accomplish what I'm looking for? Anyone have these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...04QUAMYI&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AMZ00PEQ&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9IEMDF3D&psc=1
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a good while since I revisited this thread, but I finally ended up ordering a couple more boxes and found one that, so far, has done the job.

**Can't post links, so go onto Amazon and search for HUIERAV HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD 4Kx2K/60Hz HDMI Switch| HDMI 2 Ports Bi-direction Manual Switch 2x1 or 1x2 AB Switch Splitter**

So far, so good with this one. Tested with 4K cable box, Xbox One X (Deadpool UHD bluray and Forza 7 game) and all flavors of Chromecast Ultras and Roku Ultras, all with 4K HDR content, from 24p movies to 60Hz demos.

I've been using it with a healthy mix of AmazonBasics HDMI cables, a couple more (18gbps certified ones) from Monoprice and a bunch from an obscure chinese oem called Samzhe. They all pass 4K correctly and work for me!

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to add, everything is switched thru a Denon AVR-X3300W (my 2016 Roku Ultra wouldn't work plugged directly into the TV, but is spectacular thru the AVR.... go figure)

Last edited by TopperCNC; 01-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperCNC View Post
It's been a good while since I revisited this thread, but I finally ended up ordering a couple more boxes and found one that, so far, has done the job.

**Can't post links, so go onto Amazon and search for HUIERAV HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD 4Kx2K/60Hz HDMI Switch| HDMI 2 Ports Bi-direction Manual Switch 2x1 or 1x2 AB Switch Splitter**

So far, so good with this one. Tested with 4K cable box, Xbox One X (Deadpool UHD bluray and Forza 7 game) and all flavors of Chromecast Ultras and Roku Ultras, all with 4K HDR content, from 24p movies to 60Hz demos.

I've been using it with a healthy mix of AmazonBasics HDMI cables, a couple more (18gbps certified ones) from Monoprice and a bunch from an obscure chinese oem called Samzhe. They all pass 4K correctly and work for me!

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to add, everything is switched thru a Denon AVR-X3300W (my 2016 Roku Ultra wouldn't work plugged directly into the TV, but is spectacular thru the AVR.... go figure)
Wow cool!

My use case is slightly different (as my AVR is older and doesn't support HDCP 2.2), but this still might work with the One X switched between direct to TV for 4K HDR @ 10bit 4:2:2 and the AVR for the 1080p projector.

Unfortunately....Amazon don't ship this one to Australia
Which means if I want to try to it, more expense using redirects etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page