Need 35ft HDMI for Marantz SR8012 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By TomCruz
  • 1 Post By acras13
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Vic Y

post #1 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Need 35ft HDMI for Marantz SR8012

I haven’t bought an HDMI cable in a while and boy did I get confused while shopping Monoprice and Amazon. I have a new Marantz SR 8012 arriving and need to connect my Sony x940E. 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/4:4:4/Atmos/ARC etc.....what cable should I get that handles everything and is good quality and 35 feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to darfnader Send a message via Skype™ to darfnader
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I haven’t bought an HDMI cable in a while and boy did I get confused while shopping Monoprice and Amazon. I have a new Marantz SR 8012 arriving and need to connect my Sony x940E. 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/4:4:4/Atmos/ARC etc.....what cable should I get that handles everything and is good quality and 35 feet?

You’re going to have trouble finding a cable longer than 25’ as signal degradation starts to become a factor after that. 50’ is the spec limit but from what I have read, higher resolutions have issues with less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by darfnader View Post
You’re going to have trouble finding a cable longer than 25’ as signal degradation starts to become a factor after that. 50’ is the spec limit but from what I have read, higher resolutions have issues with less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So there are no options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I had some issues running 25' hdmi and asked the same Q. The advice I got on this forum was very valuable -- to keep hdmi under 10-12 feet and run longer length of speaker wire.
So placed the receiver just below the projector. The speaker wires are much thicker so loss due to longer length is very minimal and there is the amp to crank it up. Hdmi is much thinner and has no amp.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased the same receiver. I have been out of the game for a few years so the products are different to me too. I purchased a projector and screen from projectorscreens.com and while my projector is wireless I wanted to have an hdmi cable there in case I changed projectors. They recommended this one for a 50ft run:

Metra Home Theater HDMI AOC Cable 18 GBPS Cl3 Rated - 50

While I haven't connected it to test it (room being plastered now) there are reviews on it.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 313
You will have ZERO problems with a 35 foot cable. I use a 10 year old 25 foot HDMI cable from my processor to project tor and run 1080 and 3d.

Just get a good, think cable and be done with it. Monoprice is fine.

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Ready Player One Delorean Race
DaLite 0.9 Grey 110" screen. Epson 3000 1080P Projection. 7.2 SVS and Energy Reference + Parasound THX Ultra Amplification system.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Later HDMI chip sets include a buffer stage to help EQ longer cable runs...
Will it work??
Maybe yes, maybe no...

Just my $0.02...
post #8 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 2291
Monoprice now makes a 30 foot Certified Premium HDMI cable . Either try that and see how it handles everything or I'd try a hybrid fiber cable either through Monoprice or Ruipro if 35 feet is a must but the cost will be higher for the latter choices. Definitely the , "Any cable will work" answer is just wrong based on the thousands of HDMI help questions in these forums for runs over 20 feet.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #9 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
I'm not using 4k but I have two 50' runs and zero problems.

I have one of each of these. One of them has a 35' option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #10 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I'm not using 4k but I have two 50' runs and zero problems.

I have one of each of these. One of them has a 35' option.

He's talking about passing all formats including higher bandwidth data. You can pass 1080P all day long at those longer lengths assuming a certain framerate. When you start passing through 4K in HDR at 60HZ things get more complicated. It's the main reason Premium Certified cables even exist. HDMI is a standard based on inferences of minimum performance and assists given by the sink devIces and it finally caught up with the licensing of many inadequate high speed cables for 4K HDR. Now CP tests full bandwidth and bend tests the cables. Doesn't mean they all will work exactly the same or that an older non CP cable can't equal it's performance. It just means overall the cables are being held to a higher more realistic testing standard. Least until 16K comes around the pike, lol.

"HDMI is a technology that's always operating on the edge of failure" another poster said. I tend to agree after all the HDMI posts I've read.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 07-18-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Monoprice now makes a 30 foot Certified Premium HDMI cable . Either try that and see how it handles everything or I'd try a hybrid fiber cable either through Monoprice or Ruipro if 35 feet is a must but the cost will be higher for the latter choices. Definitely the , "Any cable will work" answer is just wrong based on the thousands of HDMI help questions in these forums for runs over 20 feet.
Certified by who? The current certification (ATC) is only good up to 25'. Anything past that is questionable. As suggested, if your run is over 25', then a hybrid fiber cable is the most consistent (as reported here). However, to "future proof" your connection you need to run the cable in a conduit. Period.

As far as HDMI goes, the technology sucks. But it's what we are stuck with.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Certified by who? The current certification (ATC) is only good up to 25'.
You asked and answered the first part so I'll just say ," Yes the ATC's" and as to the latter it's been increased to 30' because there's a new 30 foot Premium Certified cable that's recently been released which is why I suggested it if the OP could shave 5 feet off of his source/ sink distances to try it.

Quote:
Anything past that is questionable. As suggested, if your run is over 25', then a hybrid fiber cable is the most consistent (as reported here). However, to "future proof" your connection you need to run the cable in a conduit. Period.
Totally agree and I said just that. The problem with the previous testing methods was they used the test results and their algorithms to guesstimate the cables performance with higher bandwidths(above 10.2 Gb/sec) and it was wrong more times than right.

Quote:
As far as HDMI goes, the technology sucks. But it's what we are stuck with.
Yup. It was DRM /movie studio related more than ease for consumer. Least we have this place as a great resource for figuring all of this out. I dread 2.1 but maybe it will fix some things. Who knows? I miss my S video cables and my old Laserdisc player. Those were simpler days.

post #13 of 26 Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 287
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hdmi-2-0b.html
Madmax67 likes this.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #14 of 26 Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM

@Madmax67 - I haven't seen the 30' Premium Certified HDMI cables yet so if in fact they have been tested by an Authorized Testing Center (HDMI.org), that is good news.

The comparison work that ARROW-AV did early in the year has been an invaluable source, but not a definitive source. It's a great place to start and get some valid information, but they do have a vested interest. ARROW-AV is primarily a non-residential systems integration and design firm. They service the professional audio/video community so they need to know which cables etc are going to be reliable for their clients. I think we are grateful that they have taken the time to post their in-house testing results and recommendations.
Ratman likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
@Madmax67 - I haven't seen the 30' Premium Certified HDMI cables yet so if in fact they have been tested by an Authorized Testing Center (HDMI.org), that is good news.
Monoprice just got them recently.

Quote:
The comparison work that ARROW-AV did early in the year has been an invaluable source, but not a definitive source. It's a great place to start and get some valid information, but they do have a vested interest. ARROW-AV is primarily a non-residential systems integration and design firm. They service the professional audio/video community so they need to know which cables etc are going to be reliable for their clients. I think we are grateful that they have taken the time to post their in-house testing results and recommendations.
Agree 100% on this.

post #16 of 26 Old 07-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf5 View Post
I just purchased the same receiver. I have been out of the game for a few years so the products are different to me too. I purchased a projector and screen from projectorscreens.com and while my projector is wireless I wanted to have an hdmi cable there in case I changed projectors. They recommended this one for a 50ft run:

Metra Home Theater HDMI AOC Cable 18 GBPS Cl3 Rated - 50

While I haven't connected it to test it (room being plastered now) there are reviews on it.
Hopefully you installed a 1.5"-2.0" conduit with a pull string for your in-wall cable installation because you will more than likely be needing to replace your cable in the future if you deicide to move up to HDMI 2.1 and beyond.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need help guys, been out of the game to like the last guy, and starting up my system. I have a LG 4K oled, connected by a audioquest cinnamon 8 meter hdmi, to a Marantz SR8012, and a Sony 4k UBP-X800 player that’s also connected with a short cinnamon cable..... for some reason the 4K won’t show a picture, not even going directly from the 4K player to tv unless I use a shorter 4K cable. I’ve tested as many scenarios as possible but even with my PS4 pro the picture come in and out. What setting am I missing?
post #18 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elguapo22 View Post
Need help guys, been out of the game to like the last guy, and starting up my system. I have a LG 4K oled, connected by a audioquest cinnamon 8 meter hdmi, to a Marantz SR8012, and a Sony 4k UBP-X800 player that’s also connected with a short cinnamon cable..... for some reason the 4K won’t show a picture, not even going directly from the 4K player to tv unless I use a shorter 4K cable. I’ve tested as many scenarios as possible but even with my PS4 pro the picture come in and out. What setting am I missing?

AudioQuest cables are really overpriced for what you get. At 24', you would probably be ok with a passive Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) for 4k HDR. Premium cables are certified by an ATC and can be from various mfrs as long as the cable carries the name Premium High Speed and comes with the QR label for authenticity, so pricing is reasonable. Active cables are not certifiable by HDMI.org and the AQ cable is active, but they don't mention if the cable uses the latest Spectra 7 chipsets (probably not).

Is your 24' run in-wall? And if so, are you running it in a conduit? Using a conduit for in-wall runs is highly recommended as it makes it easier to upgrade your cabling or fix issues as the need arises. If your cable run is easily accessible then conduit is not necessary. Be mindful of bend radius and stress on the HDMI inputs because that can affect data transmission.

It sounds like the 24' AQ cable is your issue if you can get a picture with the shorter cable. What is a 4k cable by the way? HDMI cables are either passive/active High Speed or Premium High Speed (certified passive cable). I would try a Premium High Speed HDMI cable and see if that works. You can always return it if it doesn't. Certification doesn't guarantee that the cable will work in all setups but it does give the consumer some confidence in knowing that the cable was tested and certified by a standardized testing program designed and implemented by HDMI.org. 25' is the maximum certifiable distance for passive cables so the cable will be a bit stiff (larger wire gauge) so you will need to be mindful of bend radius and strain on the HDMI input. If that doesn't work, you may have to consider a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro comes to mind). They are a bit expensive but are active and very flexible with thin connector ends so they fit in any HDMI orientation very well. Ruipro cables are tested by an ATC following HDMI.org's procedures but being as they are active, they can't get the QR label for authenticity nor can they get the "Premium HDMI" name or even the "Ultra HDMI" name which will eventually be used for cables that meet the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Thats great info, wish I would have done a little more research on audioquest beforehand lol. Here I was thinking I was set when it came to hdmi. The set up is in a house that didn’t have prior planning for homer theater and I won’t be able to run any wiring thru walls, so I’ll be using wire covers. At the moment there are no hard bends that I see on the hdmi cable, it’s just on the floor along the wall. The type of hdmi cable that I’m using on the 4K player is also audioquest cinnamon but it’s only .5 meter long. I sort of figure out that when I switch off the “enhanced” option on my Marantz that the signal works fine with the PlayStation pro. But I’m assuming that with the settings the 4K player has is the reason it doesn’t work when I plug that in.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thats great info, wish I would have done a little more research on audioquest beforehand lol. Here I was thinking I was set when it came to hdmi. The set up is in a house that didn’t have prior planning for homer theater and I won’t be able to run any wiring thru walls, so I’ll be using wire covers. At the moment there are no hard bends that I see on the hdmi cable, it’s just on the floor along the wall. The type of hdmi cable that I’m using on the 4K player is also audioquest cinnamon but it’s only .5 meter long. I sort of figure out that when I switch off the “enhanced” option on my Marantz that the signal works fine with the PlayStation pro. But I’m assuming that with the settings the 4K player has is the reason it doesn’t work when I plug that in.

At least you have easy access to the cabling so that's a big plus. The ONLY way to future proof cable runs, if they are long, is to use conduit if your cable is not easily accessible because you will be changing cables as video standards continue to become more demanding. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology. Try a 25' Premium High Speed cable and see if that works, keeping the caveats in mind. If that doesn't work, try the Ruipro hybrid fiber cable. If that doesn't work it could be a setting somewhere. I'm not familiar with the "enhanced" setting on the Marantz and what it does. I have my receiver set to pass though the native signal and just let my 65 C8 do all of the heavy lifting. However, my cable runs are under 10' so there have been no issues at all pushing 4k HDR with using either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (BJC) or the short versions of the Ruipro hybrid fiber cables.

post #21 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM

So after some back and fourth I think I’ve narrowed it down to the RUIPRO or UGreen fiber hdmi. Any thoughts between? And I also considered getting a audioquest monsoon power cable, Anyone see any reasonable quality increase with these?
post #22 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
So after some back and fourth I think I’ve narrowed it down to the RUIPRO or UGreen fiber hdmi. Any thoughts between? And I also considered getting a audioquest monsoon power cable, Anyone see any reasonable quality increase with these?

I've seen mention of UGreen cables before. UGreen makes and distributes lots of products (USB cables, chargers, vehicle accessories, etc) so they are not just a cable company. Their fiber cables make no mention of hybrid fiber so they may be just a fiber cable. There is some copper wiring inside the cable but it is tinned copper, not solid copper.

There are more positive reviews by members of AVS on the Ruipro cables (hybrid fiber utilizing solid copper wiring) than UGreen so you might want to take that into consideration. I've tested and used Ruipro cables and know how they are tested and how they are made and being as they are marketed as hybrid fiber, personally I'd go with them. In any case, either the cables work as expected or they don't. Neither one can improve pq that is discernible to the naked eye.

Why would you want to spend around $300 on a power cable AQ is well known for overpriced products and very slick marketing. Unless you have really bad power issues or an exceptionally good ear I wouldn't. It's your money, but.........

post #23 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Tbh I guess it’s all the marketing hype. I’m split because I figure if the power cable wasn’t suficiente Marantz would have made sure to provide what is needed, then I read and hear theories and the science behind some of these products and I’m back on the other side of the fence.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Tbh I guess it’s all the marketing hype. I’m split because I figure if the power cable wasn’t suficiente Marantz would have made sure to provide what is needed, then I read and hear theories and the science behind some of these products and I’m back on the other side of the fence.

FWIW, unless you have really really high quality components you are not going to hear or see any difference. While the theory and science behind these overpriced cables may be sound, it is well beyond what the human eyes and ears can perceive.

Go with Premium High Speed HDMI cables (QR label) for runs under about 20' and for runs over 20', go with a hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro. Keep your connections simple. Device -> AVR -> tv. No switches or adapters. And if your run is in-wall, it is advisable to install your cable run in a 1.5" - 20" conduit. If your cabling is easily accessible, then conduit is not necessary. Be mindful of bend radius and keep your connections to the HDMI inputs as stress-free as possible. Use the power cords that came with your devices.

If you don't get sparkles, drop outs, etc then that's the best you can do.

post #25 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Elguapo22 - 4K can be problematic on any HDMI cable at 8m or longer, which is where the RuiPro Hybrid (Optical + Copper) cables come into play, we supply a lot of them here in the UK/EU to customers who have had problems with 4K at 8m and longer.

Power Cables and conditioning are very subjective - here in the UK with our 240v mains supply I have never been convinced about the requirement for any form of mains 'conditioning', most often when folk have tried to 'sell' me on on the idea it has 'sounded' worse than no conditioning.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have all kinds of problem with Monoprice Lux series HDMI active cable (30 ft long), blackout, not getting full bandwidth on 4k, HDR, etc.

Replace it with RuiPro hybrid and problem solved and even the 1080P upscale to 4K pictures have improved significantly. Thanks for the recommendation.
Joe Fernand likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page