HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 2-way splitter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 24
HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 2-way splitter

Hi everyone,

As we have started to execute our new HT, realized we now want to have a TV + projector in the same room. As such our Yamaha RX-V581 only has 1 HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 output. I now need a splitter with 1 input & 2 outputs to go from Receiver to Projector & TV?

Can anyone recommend a splitter that has great success rates for this. I want it to handle 4K at 60hz.

P.S. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference. I also have access to Bluestream product at cost through someone I know.

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Hi everyone,

As we have started to execute our new HT, realized we now want to have a TV + projector in the same room. As such our Yamaha RX-V581 only has 1 HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 output. I now need a splitter with 1 input & 2 outputs to go from Receiver to Projector & TV?

Can anyone recommend a splitter that has great success rates for this. I want it to handle 4K at 60hz.

P.S. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference. I also have access to Bluestream product at cost through someone I know.
How long will the cable run be to the projector?

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #3 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

How long will the cable run be to the projector?
15m (50ft).

Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
15m (50ft).
That will be your limiting factor as you’ll either need a hybrid fiber optic HDMI cable (RUIPRO is popular around here but I have no personal experience) or to run solid core non-CCA CAT6 (or better) cable to be used with a HDBaseT setup.

If you go the fiber optic route, you’ll need to make sure the HDMI splitter outputs proper/enough voltage to operate the electronics in the cable.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
post #5 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
15m (50ft).
That will be your limiting factor as you’ll either need a hybrid fiber optic HDMI cable (RUIPRO is popular around here but I have no personal experience) or to run solid core non-CCA CAT6 (or better) cable to be used with a HDBaseT setup.

If you go the fiber optic route, you’ll need to make sure the HDMI splitter outputs proper/enough voltage to operate the electronics in the cable.
I was looking at this cable:
http://www.blustream.co.uk/precision-18-active

Would it work? I’m trying not to have to replace my less than 2 year old Yamaha RX-V581 receiver with a new one. If I need to I will but cheaper to buy a splitter than a new HT receiver.

post #6 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would it work? I’m trying not to have to replace my less than 2 year old Yamaha RX-V581 receiver with a new one. If I need to I will but cheaper to buy a splitter than a new HT receiver.
The cable checks all the marketing buzzword boxes. But if you’re running cable, do yourself a favor and run the solid core non-CCA Cat6 as well.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:

The cable specs just list HDMI 2.0 hardware specs. It says nothing about being tested and certified so it's just a nice cable with nice marketing (as TrendSetterX alludes to).

At 50' you pretty much need to run a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro seems to get the best reviews from AVS users) inside a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit, and be mindful of bend radius when you pull the cable. A conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling. Installing a solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCS and not a CAT-6 ethernet patch cable), along with a pull string is also advisable. You can always use the solid core to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with a punchdown keystone jack, or terminate with HDBT (provided you can find one with the latest HDMI chipsets) to extend an HDMI connection.

A splitter may work but anytime you introduce a "break" in the HDMI chain you run the risk of issues. 4k HDR is very picky about its connections. Sometimes a splitter will work, sometimes not. All you can do is try.

I have an old RX-V371 that still works very well for the older HTS downstairs. I just purchased a new A-780 for the recently finished upstairs HTS.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The cable checks all the marketing buzzword boxes. But if you’re running cable, do yourself a favor and run the solid core non-CCA Cat6 as well.

Actually it doesn’t check all the marketing buzz words now that I look a little closer.

There are some things that lead me to believe it’s old-generation technology that you don’t want...

If it’s an “active” cable then why is it limited to only 18gbs?

Also, they don’t list bit depth for HDR, but do list “18gbs” which leads me to believe this is an older “active” chipset that supports a max of 8-bit HDR and not the full 10-bit.

So I’d stay away from that cable.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
If it’s an “active” cable then why is it limited to only 18gbs?
Because 18Gbps is the maximum bandwidth that can be certified for HDMI 2.0b. However, there is no indication at all on how their claim is substantiated (certified by an ATC) so it is just slick marketing, plain and simple. An active cable is designed to extend the cable beyond the current 25' maximum certifiable length by using error correction, timing, etc which is part of the HDMI chipsets in the sink end. Active cables work very well for 1080p and do work, at times for 4k and possibly 4k HDR, but I wouldn't purchase an active cable for 50' thinking it may work at that distance for 4k HDR. Conduit, and a hybrid fiber cable are going to be the OP's best bet.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Because 18Gbps is the maximum bandwidth that can be certified for HDMI 2.0b.
?what? It was a rhetorical question that was feeding into the ultimate conclusion that this is an old-tech cable - a current generation active cable has no “18gbs” limitation.

post #11 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
?what? It was a rhetorical question that was feeding into the ultimate conclusion that this is an old-tech cable - a current generation active cable has no “18gbs” limitation.
Premium High Speed HDMI cables, with the QR label, are certified and tested up to 18Gbps. Other cables, active or passive, may claim that and beyond but they are not certified. IMO, any cable mfr that claims speeds higher are highly suspect. Certification is certainly not a guarantee for a given speed but it is about as good as one can get with the current HDMI mess. Whether the cable is old tech or not, claims without proper certification are just marketing.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Premium High Speed HDMI cables, with the QR label, are certified and tested up to 18Gbps. Other cables, active or passive, may claim that and beyond but they are not certified. IMO, any cable mfr that claims speeds higher are highly suspect. Certification is certainly not a guarantee for a given speed but it is about as good as one can get with the current HDMI mess. Whether the cable is old tech or not, claims without proper certification are just marketing.
Thanks. I have download a PDF from another thread with some tested cables. Will ensure the one I buy is certified.

As for splitter, I found these 2. Think they will work?

https://sewelldirect.com/1x2-splitde...hdmi-splitter-

https://www.conferenceroomav.com/avp...-auhd-gen2.cfm

https://www.avproedge.com/ac-mx42-au...to-matrix.html

I am hoping this will work. I would have my 4K Samsung tv and soon to come 4K JVC projector.

Last edited by phanttom; 11-15-2018 at 06:53 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have download a PDF from another thread with some tested cables. Will ensure the one I buy is certified.

As for splitter, I found these 2. Think they will work?

https://sewelldirect.com/1x2-splitde...hdmi-splitter-

https://www.conferenceroomav.com/avp...-auhd-gen2.cfm

I am hoping this will work. I would have my 4K Samsung tv and soon to come 4K JVC projector.
Remember, ATC Certification is only good up to 25' (30' in some cases) so if your run is over 25', you won't find a certified cable with the QR label. As far as the splitters go, you'll just have to try them out. You may get lucky. 4k HDR is finicky with it's connections so anytime you introduce a "break" in the HDMI chain, you may introduce errors. 50' is going to be your main problem.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Remember, ATC Certification is only good up to 25' (30' in some cases) so if your run is over 25', you won't find a certified cable with the QR label. As far as the splitters go, you'll just have to try them out. You may get lucky. 4k HDR is finicky with it's connections so anytime you introduce a "break" in the HDMI chain, you may introduce errors. 50' is going to be your main problem.
I'm starting to think that I will use a 25' cable instead of 50' and just use wire mould on my ceiling...concerned that 50' and trying to run it around the room is going to be a headache. My ceiling is finished and the joists run perpendicular to the route I need to go from receiver to projector.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-16-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that I will use a 25' cable instead of 50' and just use wire mould on my ceiling...concerned that 50' and trying to run it around the room is going to be a headache. My ceiling is finished and the joists run perpendicular to the route I need to go from receiver to projector.
Test the 25' cable first to make sure it will work for your needs. Just lay it out on the floor before final installation. Even at 25', 4k HDR can have issues. Cable quality, bend radius (very important), HDMI chipsets at source/sink end, etc can also play a big factor in a successful cable run. At 25', you should be able to purchase a Premium High Speed HDMI cable from any number of mfrs. The certification is not mfr specific. All you need to do is make sure it comes with the QR label. If you go the active route you will be limited by the HDMI chipsets on the sink end. Most newer active cables should have the newest chipsets in them but unfortunately it's very difficult to determine.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-28-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Hi, I have the same problem. Finally which Splitter did you buy?
post #17 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by gediman View Post
If you are in the USA, I would just hit up Amazon, and pick from their long list of HDMI 2.0 rated HDMI splitters.

Those with good reviews, likely perform well, and if they don't work, return it and get a different model.

I would likely get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Splitter...74&sr=8-5&th=1

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-17-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gediman View Post
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I used this one: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-buy/11205224

post #19 of 19 Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I used this one: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-buy/11205224
Does it work? If so, then that's the one for you.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page