LG OLED55C8P + Denon AVR-2310 ARC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sizzle668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED55C8P + Denon AVR-2310 ARC

Have this combination and was wondering if the Denon AVR-2310 has ARC capabilities?
Considering his age I guess not, but it has the HDMI control option which I have set to On
Switching the TV to Amazon Prime does switch the Denon to the TV input, so it does have ARC capabilities?
After that no sound
Sizzle668 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,259
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle668 View Post
Have this combination and was wondering if the Denon AVR-2310 has ARC capabilities?
Considering his age I guess not, but it has the HDMI control option which I have set to On
Switching the TV to Amazon Prime does switch the Denon to the TV input, so it does have ARC capabilities?
After that no sound
What does the manual say for the Denon? Typically, if an older model avr has ARC/CEC (you'd have to check with the mfr on what they call it) both are located on the same HDMI chipset. So enabling one enables both, and vice versa. CEC has always been problematic due to lack of standardization, even on newer models. Those issues can carry over to ARC reliability. There are no firmware upgrades that can correct the problem if it is due to CEC incompatibility.

Switching inputs automatically is exactly what CEC is supposed to do (along with other basic control functions). It is possible that you may have a CEC-only avr. Again, you'd have to check with the mfr to be sure.

A lot of us gave up on ARC/CEC a long time ago and use an optical cable, instead of ARC, to get audio from OTA television or the tv's SmartApps to the receiver. There is no real difference in audio fidelity between ARC and optical. Both are currently limited to discrete 5.1. As far as CEC goes, just use a programmable remote such as a Harmony to single remote control of your HTS>
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sizzle668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
What does the manual say for the Denon? Typically, if an older model avr has ARC/CEC (you'd have to check with the mfr on what they call it) both are located on the same HDMI chipset. So enabling one enables both, and vice versa. CEC has always been problematic due to lack of standardization, even on newer models. Those issues can carry over to ARC reliability. There are no firmware upgrades that can correct the problem if it is due to CEC incompatibility.

Switching inputs automatically is exactly what CEC is supposed to do (along with other basic control functions). It is possible that you may have a CEC-only avr. Again, you'd have to check with the mfr to be sure.

A lot of us gave up on ARC/CEC a long time ago and use an optical cable, instead of ARC, to get audio from OTA television or the tv's SmartApps to the receiver. There is no real difference in audio fidelity between ARC and optical. Both are currently limited to discrete 5.1. As far as CEC goes, just use a programmable remote such as a Harmony to single remote control of your HTS>
Thanks, did put an optical cable in between gave me sound, but no 5.1, just stereo
TV set to optical > stereo
TV set to HDMI ARC > stereo
TV set to HDMI ARC with HDMI cable removed > stereo
Sizzle668 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,482
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Any audio option(s) in the TV when using optical or HDMI as "bitstream" or "both" ? (both meaning bitstream and/or PCM stereo)
Bitstream is for DD. PCM is stereo only.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,259
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle668 View Post
Thanks, did put an optical cable in between gave me sound, but no 5.1, just stereo
TV set to optical > stereo
TV set to HDMI ARC > stereo
TV set to HDMI ARC with HDMI cable removed > stereo
You need to disable ARC/CEC on all of your devices. If you don't have a Harmony remote, then you'll have to use your device remotes to change inputs etc.

The Denon AVR-2310 has the HDMI 1.3 hardware chipsets. The current HDMI hardware specs are HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2, so your receiver is way behind times. The Denon does support CEC via the AV.link protocols but HDMI 1.3 is old protocols, as well as HDCP so it's not surprising that you are having difficulties. HDMI is backwards compatible but only to the in-common protocols. So, if your other devices are HDMI 2.0b, but your receiver is HDMI 1.3, you can only utilize the HDMI 1.3 protocol set.

Try @Ratman 's suggestion and set to bitstream.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2018, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sizzle668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Any audio option(s) in the TV when using optical or HDMI as "bitstream" or "both" ? (both meaning bitstream and/or PCM stereo)
Bitstream is for DD. PCM is stereo only.
No "bitstream" or "both" to be found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
You need to disable ARC/CEC on all of your devices. If you don't have a Harmony remote, then you'll have to use your device remotes to change inputs etc.

The Denon AVR-2310 has the HDMI 1.3 hardware chipsets. The current HDMI hardware specs are HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2, so your receiver is way behind times. The Denon does support CEC via the AV.link protocols but HDMI 1.3 is old protocols, as well as HDCP so it's not surprising that you are having difficulties. HDMI is backwards compatible but only to the in-common protocols. So, if your other devices are HDMI 2.0b, but your receiver is HDMI 1.3, you can only utilize the HDMI 1.3 protocol set.

Try @Ratman 's suggestion and set to bitstream.

read a lot of posts since yesterday with a lot of ARC problems (with and without receivers with ARC support)
Reset the tv, disabled HDMI control on the receiver
connected the setup-box through HDMI with the tv and the htpc with HDMI
connected optical from tv to receiver
Netflix app on tv > 5.1 input on receiver
setup-box > stereo input on receiver
htpc > 5.1 input on receiver

good for now
thanks !
Sizzle668 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I had a Pioneer Receiver that was working fine with the LG TV over ARC, Atmos and all that. the Pioneer died and I replaced it with the Denon AVR-S940H. Everything was working except for sound from the TV through the receiver. Nothing changed on the TV, same HDMI cable, same HDMI input on the TV (hdmi 2). I tried all kinds of stuff, changing from ARC Out and Internal Speakers and back to ARC Out. I tried turning on the TV first. I tried unplugging everything. Spent a couple of hours. But I finally got it to work, and here is what I did.



How I fixed the issue is

1 - removed all HDMI devices from the receiver except for the TV going in to HDMI Out ARC
2 - Re-ran the Setup Assistant/Begin Setup on the Denon.
3 - I went through all the Setup (skipped the Input Setup and Network Setup because I didn't want to have to set those all up again)
4 - once it finished, I checked the LG to make sure the sound was still set to ARC Out
5 - tested the LG Apps and working!


I plugged all the other devices back in and turned everything off and back on, verified it was still working.


I don't know what the Full Setup does that fixes it but it's the magic sauce. Simply running the Setup Assistant/TV Audio Connection setup doesn't fix it. For some reason it has to be the full setup


I hope this helps somebody else that runs in to the same problem.
LaRock0wns is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
And to add to my post.


On my LG TV I have under Settings

1 - Sound - ARC Out and Digital Sound Out setting to Auto
2 - General/SIMPLINK and Auto Power Link set to ON


On my Denon under Setup/Video Setup/HDMI Setup
1 - Pass Through Source - Last
2 - RC Source Select - Power On + Source
3 - HDMI Control - On
4 - TV Audio Switching - On
5 - Power Off Control - All
6 - Power Saving - Off (my Nvidia shield tv has a time out so when it shuts off it automatically shuts off the Denon)

7 - Smart Menu - On



Good luck
LaRock0wns is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Bapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRock0wns View Post
And to add to my post.


On my LG TV I have under Settings

1 - Sound - ARC Out and Digital Sound Out setting to Auto
2 - General/SIMPLINK and Auto Power Link set to ON


On my Denon under Setup/Video Setup/HDMI Setup
1 - Pass Through Source - Last
2 - RC Source Select - Power On + Source
3 - HDMI Control - On
4 - TV Audio Switching - On
5 - Power Off Control - All
6 - Power Saving - Off (my Nvidia shield tv has a time out so when it shuts off it automatically shuts off the Denon)

7 - Smart Menu - On



Good luck
LG OLED B6, Denon 1300. When I put these together ARC/CEC would only switch one way. While watching cable, a switch to Netflix gave me both audio and video. It however does not switch back. I must use the Denon remote to select CBL/SAT. I gave up and went to a Smart Remote. Thant no longer works so I am back at the starting point. Any ideas why it ARC/SEC works properly going 1 way but not the other?
Bapon is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,259
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapon View Post
LG OLED B6, Denon 1300. When I put these together ARC/CEC would only switch one way. While watching cable, a switch to Netflix gave me both audio and video. It however does not switch back. I must use the Denon remote to select CBL/SAT. I gave up and went to a Smart Remote. Thant no longer works so I am back at the starting point. Any ideas why it ARC/SEC works properly going 1 way but not the other?
Probably a CEC incompatibility issue, which is not uncommon being as CEC is not standardized in the sense that all mfrs of HDMI devices have to follow the same protocols. CEC is part of the HDMI option set but the implementation is up to the individual mfrs, hence issues. Disable CEC all or in part on your system and see what happens. If you still have issues, then just disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and see what happens. If your system works with the individual remotes that came with it, try a programmable remote like a Harmony and see if you can get back to single remote control of your system. If you need ARC, then see if your tv and/or avr allow for individual control of each and then just disable the CEC part. If not, there's always the Lindy CECless adapter that blocks the CEC commands so you can still use ARC. That has worked for some but is not guaranteed to work for all.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off