why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC are these cores help cable perfor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 25
why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC are these cores help cable perfor

planning to connect a projector up to the AVRs out I assume HDMI is the better type cable compared to VGA however my AVR only has one HDMI output, I still want the option of watching my regular TV.
I have my laptop connected w/ VGA to a workstation 27" TV it works fine however it's aduio is just LT speakers. my PC has VGA port.

?1.why do projectors come w/ a VGA cable?

?2.why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC do these cores help cable performance?
?3.will 4K type HDMI cables work for none 4K TV?
Thanks for any tips STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-16-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
planning to connect a projector up to the AVRs out I assume HDMI is the better type cable compared to VGA however my AVR only has one HDMI output, I still want the option of watching my regular TV.
I have my laptop connected w/ VGA to a workstation 27" TV it works fine however it's aduio is just LT speakers. my PC has VGA port.

?1.why do projectors come w/ a VGA cable?

?2.why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC do these cores help cable performance?
?3.will 4K type HDMI cables work for none 4K TV?
Thanks for any tips STB

I'm not sure how effective ferrite cores really are. If you have cables that are close to power cords, maybe. But as far as increasing performance of your cables in general, no.

Any Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified with a QR label for authenticity) will work for your video needs. There is no such thing as a 4k cable. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable will meet all current HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications.
stevethebrain likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK thanks for advice

hows this look it's Ultra HDMI 2.0V is the 2.0b a better cable https://www.amazon.com/Postta-Adapte...87WMY3NTR&th=1

what are the 2 adaptors used for eas of cable routing?

my AVR only has one HDMI output the 90 degree adaptor would/mite be easier to switch from TV to projector
untill I get a 2 output AVR.
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
OK thanks for advice

hows this look it's Ultra HDMI 2.0V is the 2.0b a better cable https://www.amazon.com/Postta-Adapte...87WMY3NTR&th=1

what are the 2 adaptors used for eas of cable routing?

my AVR only has one HDMI output the 90 degree adaptor would/mite be easier to switch from TV to projector
untill I get a 2 output AVR.
STB

There's no such thing as an HDMI 2.0V cable, or an HDMI 2.0 cable period. They are either passive or active High Speed. The cables are not certified and if you read the marketing spin, they are capable of up to 10.2Gbps, which is part of the HDMI 1.4/2.0 hardware specification (it's the gray overlap area between the two). What you want is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified for HDMI 2.0b up to 18Gbps).

The adapters are for either a 90 degree bend or a straight in connection if the input is recessed a bit. Gold plated connectors is nice but doesn't do very much unless your HDMI inputs are gold plated inside as well (like to like metal). PQ/AQ is not really affected by gold plating, at least not in the human perception range. Adapters can work but once you introduce a "break" in the HDMI chain, you can develop issues. The best connection is a single cable, source to sink. This is especially true for 4k HDR. 1080p is not a problem.

If your total cable run is over 25' then you won't be able to find an ATC certified High Speed HDMI cable (one with a QR label for authenticity) because the current maximum certifiable distance is 25'. I have heard that some cable mfrs have been able to extend that certification to 30' but I haven't seen the cables. A lot of cable mfrs will state that their cables meet HDMI 2.0b specifications beyond 25' but you have no way of verifying how accurate that is or how certification was determined. It's basically trial and error, even with a certified cable because there are no 100% guarantees. If all you're going to push is 1080p then you shouldn't have any issues with a well made cable from someone like Monoprice, BJC, MediaBridge, etc.
stevethebrain likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd like to continue to leave TV to connected w/ hdmi as monitor1

when I power on projector configured as monitor2 I would like TV to turn itself off.

my PC has VGA port.

confused on what type cable to plug in projector.
thanks STB

post #6 of 16 Old 12-19-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 340
'?1.why do projectors come w/ a VGA cable?' - assuming you mean a VGA Input port! The majority of corporate projectors still support VGA as there are millions of Laptops out there which support VGA.

'?2.why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC do these cores help cable performance?' - only you can explain why you purchased the cable Ferrite cores will have little or no effect on the system performance; though the ferrite cores can be a pain in tight spaces.

'?3.will 4K type HDMI cables work for none 4K TV?' - cable length is usually what limits performance, you can deliver up to 4K on pretty much any HDMI cable as long as it is relatively short.

'my PC has VGA port.' - then use a VGA cable between the PC and the VGA enabled Projector, there is no advantage in converting to HDMI if the PC lacks an HDMI Output.

PC - What do you have?

AVR - What do you have?

Projector - What do you have?

Cable run - How long is the PC > AVR and AVR to Projector cable run?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 2621
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain
... ?1.why do projectors come w/ a VGA cable? ...
"Legacy" mentality.

Quote:
... ?2.why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC ...
Dunno.

Quote:
... ?3.will 4K type HDMI cables work for none 4K TV?
Yes.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'?1.why do projectors come w/ a VGA cable?' - assuming you mean a VGA Input port! The majority of corporate projectors still support VGA as there are millions of Laptops out there which support VGA.

'?2.why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC do these cores help cable performance?' - only you can explain why you purchased the cable Ferrite cores will have little or no effect on the system performance; though the ferrite cores can be a pain in tight spaces.

'?3.will 4K type HDMI cables work for none 4K TV?' - cable length is usually what limits performance, you can deliver up to 4K on pretty much any HDMI cable as long as it is relatively short.

'my PC has VGA port.' - then use a VGA cable between the PC and the VGA enabled Projector, there is no advantage in converting to HDMI if the PC lacks an HDMI Output.

PC - What do you have? HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD:
AVR - What do you have?Yamaha RX-V465

Projector - What do you have?yet to purchase

Cable run - How long is the PC > AVR and AVR to Projector cable run?20'

Joe
thanks STB

post #9 of 16 Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

PC - if it lacks one either swap out the Graphics card for an HDMI equipped card or add in a USB to HDMI converter.

AVR - has 4 HDMI Inputs plus 1 x HDMI Output, though it is limited to 1080p with HDCP 1.4 so may not be ideal if you have plans for any 4K UHD Source devices.

Projector - has to work with your room (placement, throw distance, required image size etc) anything New and 'Home Cinema' will have at least one HDMI Input.

Joe

post #10 of 16 Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PC is used to watch live TV, recorded programs & streaming so it's always on. image of motherboard https://www.banggood.com/Motherboard...r_warehouse=CN

my PC has both HDMI(already being used) & VGA ports (unused)

my AVR only has one HDMI output.

I'm thinking a two way HDMI splitter from AVRs output would be extra physical connection w/ possible side effects.

still confused on what type cable to plug in projector.
thanks STB

post #11 of 16 Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

System - if I follow you have:

Laptop - equipped with a VGA Out port connected to a 27" HD TV with a VGA Input.

PC - equipped with HDMI + VGA Out ports connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V465 AVR which in turn connects via HDMI to a 55" Samsung PN55C800 Plasma TV.

Projector - not purchased yet.

Are there any other devices to be connected to the AVR, Monitor or Projector?

Which Source devices do you wish to view on the Projector and hear via the AVR?

Joe

post #12 of 16 Old 12-26-2018, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
System - if I follow you have:

Laptop - equipped with a VGA Out port connected to a 27" HD TV with a VGA Input.yes this is my workstation, it's separate from large TV it's used for browsing/researching on the web it has both HDMI & VGA there is a way this workstation could be assigned as a extender of the main PC I'm not exactly sure how to set that up.

PC - equipped with HDMI + VGA Out ports connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V465 AVR which in turn connects via HDMI to a 55" Samsung PN55C800 Plasma TV. yes

Projector - not purchased yet.

Are there any other devices to be connected to the AVR, Monitor or Projector?yes the magnavox DVR stills works perfectly kindof klunky and of course the new projector still researching/choosing

Which Source devices do you wish to view on the Projector and hear via the AVR?blue ray player for 3D Ive sean only in store demo and liked it, PCs live TV, recorded programs and stream like Y-tube HULU.

Joe
eventualley I will upgrade the AVRs to atleast 820+series Yamaha AVR however I prefer a none net/airplay ect just a basic AVR w/ bass & 2 HDMI outputs not anytime some.
I was recently out bid on a yamaha820 which is still a older AVR would be a major upgrade I think.Oh I always have AVR on because I prefer the AVRs speakers.

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-26-2018 at 04:01 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Laptop+27" Display <> PC - you would have to provide a bit more detail on why you would want them 'linked' before anyone can provide a working solution.

Sources > AVR - all via HDMI will be ideal.

AVR > TV + Projector - you will require a powered 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) plus suitable length HDMI cables to the two Display devices

'Automated' system - is not so simple unless you have a programmable remote which will allow you to configure pre-set 'scenes' (Scene 1 - AVR+TV, Scene 2 AVR + Projector).

Joe

post #14 of 16 Old 12-27-2018, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Laptop+27" Display <> PC - you would have to provide a bit more detail on why you would want them 'linked' before anyone can provide a working solution.I believe the to PCs are wirelesslesly connected sharing files.

Sources > AVR - all via HDMI will be ideal.

AVR > TV + Projector - you will require a powered 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) plus suitable length HDMI cables to the two Display devices yes I was trying to avoid this splitter since it's a physical connection only I prefer remote control but can live w/ a manual switch. are splitter rated for the 4K

'Automated' system - is not so simple unless you have a programmable remote which will allow you to configure pre-set 'scenes' (Scene 1 - AVR+TV, Scene 2 AVR + Projector).

Joe
I am able to design a remote control marco to control turning on 1.PJ 2will turn off TV and 3play audio though AVR. OK so HDMI being ideal why is this can it handle more bandwide?STB

post #15 of 16 Old 12-27-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDMI is ‘ideal’ because every current Source device dictates you use HDMI or spend a pile of cash to ‘convert’ HDMI to run on legacy gear/cabling - which only makes sense if that is your only option due to pre installed cables or having to use a legacy Display device.

HDMI is all about Content Protection (HDCP) and that means using an active ‘splitter’ rather than an Output ‘Switch’ for reliable operation.

Joe
Ratman likes this.

post #16 of 16 Old 12-27-2018, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been reading about the HDMI cable being finicky and creating switching problems when connected to AVRs.I actuely had to cover a HDMI port #18 w/ tape I think it was on the PC connection.

hows this splitter look https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-4...3BQZZ7MZNVYPGT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page