Monster HDMI UltraHD Black Platinum HDMI cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By JNMNL52
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Monster HDMI UltraHD Black Platinum HDMI cable

I purchased a 12 ft Monster HDMI UltraHD Black Platinum 4K HDMI Cable (140706-00) - without performance indicators. I selected this top of the line HDMI cable over less expensive HDMI cables to connect my Yamaha RXA-770BL 7.1 AVR to my Panasonic TC-P55VT30 plasma HDTV. My HDTV and AVR both have ARC capability. After opening up the package I noticed this Black Platinum HDMI cable has one end marked "TV" with no mention of this on any instructions or packaging. I attempted contact Monster without any success. I have several questions regarding its capabilities and would appreciate any response from our forum members:

1. Why is one end of the cable marked TV? This one suggest data flow in one direction only which I never heard of before.

2. Will the cable function normally if the end marked "TV" was plugged into the AVR?

3. Is this Black Platinum HDMI cable ARC capable if data is only transferred in one direction? The packaging clearly states that this cable is ARC capable.

4. Is this cable eARC capable?

5. Will this cable support HDMI 2.0b which is necessary for HDR & 4k/60p?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
I purchased a 12 ft Monster HDMI UltraHD Black Platinum 4K HDMI Cable (140706-00) - without performance indicators. I selected this top of the line HDMI cable over less expensive HDMI cables to connect my Yamaha RXA-770BL 7.1 AVR to my Panasonic TC-P55VT30 plasma HDTV. My HDTV and AVR both have ARC capability. After opening up the package I noticed this Black Platinum HDMI cable has one end marked "TV" with no mention of this on any instructions or packaging. I attempted contact Monster without any success. I have several questions regarding its capabilities and would appreciate any response from our forum members:

1. Why is one end of the cable marked TV? This one suggest data flow in one direction only which I never heard of before.

2. Will the cable function normally if the end marked "TV" was plugged into the AVR?

3. Is this Black Platinum HDMI cable ARC capable if data is only transferred in one direction? The packaging clearly states that this cable is ARC capable.

4. Is this cable eARC capable?

5. Will this cable support HDMI 2.0b which is necessary for HDR & 4k/60p?

The cable is an active cable meaning that there are chipsets in the sink end (tv side) that aid in error correction, timing, etc for cable distances longer than the certifiable 25'. The active portion (tv side) draws a little power from the HDMI input to operate the chipsets. If you install the cable backwards, you won't damage anything but you may not get any video or video that is messed up.



If you bought a Monster cable then you paid too much. There are other cables that offer the same performance at less money. Cost does not guarantee anything.


Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certified by HDMI.org to meet the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, which includes 4k HDR at 18Gbps. However, as I mentioned, certification is only good up to 25', so far. The cable should come with a QR label for authenticity. However, there are no 100% guarantees that the cable will work in your setup, there are just too many variables.


The cable is just a data pipe. It just transfers the signal (whatever it may be) from Point A to Point B hopefully without any errors. eARC is a function of the HDMI chipsets in your source (blu-ray player for example) and your sink (tv). Both devices need to have the same HDMI hardware versions (chipsets) to support eARC. Otherwise, the communications will only be able to use the in-common HDMI hardware protocols and options. If there is no mention of ARC capability in the cable documentation, then it probably isn't ARC capable which means in won't be eARC capable.



If you cable run in only 12', then I would recommend a passive Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) from someone like Monoprice, BJC (the cables I use), or MediaBridge.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #3 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The cable is an active cable meaning that there are chipsets in the sink end (tv side) that aid in error correction, timing, etc for cable distances longer than the certifiable 25'. The active portion (tv side) draws a little power from the HDMI input to operate the chipsets. If you install the cable backwards, you won't damage anything but you may not get any video or video that is messed up.



If you bought a Monster cable then you paid too much. There are other cables that offer the same performance at less money. Cost does not guarantee anything.


Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certified by HDMI.org to meet the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, which includes 4k HDR at 18Gbps. However, as I mentioned, certification is only good up to 25', so far. The cable should come with a QR label for authenticity. However, there are no 100% guarantees that the cable will work in your setup, there are just too many variables.


The cable is just a data pipe. It just transfers the signal (whatever it may be) from Point A to Point B hopefully without any errors. eARC is a function of the HDMI chipsets in your source (blu-ray player for example) and your sink (tv). Both devices need to have the same HDMI hardware versions (chipsets) to support eARC. Otherwise, the communications will only be able to use the in-common HDMI hardware protocols and options. If there is no mention of ARC capability in the cable documentation, then it probably isn't ARC capable which means in won't be eARC capable.



If you cable run in only 12', then I would recommend a passive Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) from someone like Monoprice, BJC (the cables I use), or MediaBridge.
Thank you Otto for the response. Fortunately I fished this 12 ft cable through my wall with the correct end for my TV input. I was just confused by the labeling and did not understand Monster's rationale. So in addition the a chipset on the TV end, the cable is also directional? I have both an optical and ARC connected to my TV and AVR. I just verified that I am receiving sound through HDMI ARC by disconnecting the optical cable and still had sound so ARC is working. So I assume that if both devices were eARC capable this cable would work? Also, if I upgrade to a new OLED 4K HDTV with eARC, you stated that my AVR will also need to have eARC. My Yamaha RXA-770BL 7.1 AVR currently does not but could this be made available through a future firmware update or does eARC also require new chipset?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thank you Otto for the response. Fortunately I fished this 12 ft cable through my wall with the correct end for my TV input. I was just confused by the labeling and did not understand Monster's rationale. So in addition the a chipset on the TV end, the cable is also directional? I have both an optical and ARC connected to my TV and AVR. I just verified that I am receiving sound through HDMI ARC by disconnecting the optical cable and still had sound so ARC is working. So I assume that if both devices were eARC capable this cable would work? Also, if I upgrade to a new OLED 4K HDTV with eARC, you stated that my AVR will also need to have eARC. My Yamaha RXA-770BL 7.1 AVR currently does not but could this be made available through a future firmware update or does eARC also require new chipset?
In a sense, you could consider an active cable directional. That's why the cable is labeled "sink", "tv side", "source", etc. The direction is source to sink. If you fished your cable thru the wall hopefully you used a conduit to make cable upgrade/replacement easier. The downside of an active cable is that they can fail over time, just like any electronic device. Also, as video technology continues to move forward, the chipset in the sink end may not be able to keep up so a cable change with newer chipset may be necessary. Connection technology always lags behind video technology.

I don't use ARC because quite often it is associated with CEC, which has lots of problems that can affect ARC. I use optical from my tv (LG 65 C8 OLED) to the receiver for local HDTV audio (5.1). All other audio from the connected devices goes thru the receiver (Yamaha A-780).

Some device mfrs have indicated that eARC may be capable with a firmware upgrade to the HDMI 2.0(b) chipsets. I don't know if previous versions of HDMI (1.4,1.3) are capable of a firmware upgrade to eARC. eARC is part of the new HDMI 2.1 hardware protocols but HDMI 2.0b is capable of handling eARC. You might want to check and see which HDMI hardware version your Panasonic may have. That could be your limiting factor for now.

As I mentioned, eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware (chipsets) which will be available on some of the upcoming 2019 tv's. LG has already announced that some of their 2019 OLED's will have fully compliant HDMI 2.1 so you'll have to check with which ever mfr you are considering. If you are considering, or have need for the other options that will be available with HDMI 2.1 keep in mind that as of now, the maximum cable length for fully compliant HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) is 9'. That shouldn't affect eARC but no one knows for sure. A lot of folks are switching to hybrid fiber cables for their 4k HDR runs that are over about 20'. At 12' you should be ok but it's something to keep in mind. Hence the use of a conduit unless your cable run is easy to replace/upgrade.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #5 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
In a sense, you could consider an active cable directional. That's why the cable is labeled "sink", "tv side", "source", etc. The direction is source to sink. If you fished your cable thru the wall hopefully you used a conduit to make cable upgrade/replacement easier. The downside of an active cable is that they can fail over time, just like any electronic device. Also, as video technology continues to move forward, the chipset in the sink end may not be able to keep up so a cable change with newer chipset may be necessary. Connection technology always lags behind video technology.

I don't use ARC because quite often it is associated with CEC, which has lots of problems that can affect ARC. I use optical from my tv (LG 65 C8 OLED) to the receiver for local HDTV audio (5.1). All other audio from the connected devices goes thru the receiver (Yamaha A-780).

Some device mfrs have indicated that eARC may be capable with a firmware upgrade to the HDMI 2.0(b) chipsets. I don't know if previous versions of HDMI (1.4,1.3) are capable of a firmware upgrade to eARC. eARC is part of the new HDMI 2.1 hardware protocols but HDMI 2.0b is capable of handling eARC. You might want to check and see which HDMI hardware version your Panasonic may have. That could be your limiting factor for now.

As I mentioned, eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware (chipsets) which will be available on some of the upcoming 2019 tv's. LG has already announced that some of their 2019 OLED's will have fully compliant HDMI 2.1 so you'll have to check with which ever mfr you are considering. If you are considering, or have need for the other options that will be available with HDMI 2.1 keep in mind that as of now, the maximum cable length for fully compliant HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) is 9'. That shouldn't affect eARC but no one knows for sure. A lot of folks are switching to hybrid fiber cables for their 4k HDR runs that are over about 20'. At 12' you should be ok but it's something to keep in mind. Hence the use of a conduit unless your cable run is easy to replace/upgrade.
Thanks again Otto! All very helpful. Disappointed with the lack of information from Monster. My Yamaha RXA-770BL AVR is only one year old so I am hoping there will be an eARC firmware update. Not to get off topic but I do have my eyes on the 2019 LGC9 and the Sony A9G. Both got my attention from the recent CES show. Waiting for more information on each.

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thanks again Otto! All very helpful. Disappointed with the lack of information from Monster. My Yamaha RXA-770BL AVR is only one year old so I am hoping there will be an eARC firmware update. Not to get off topic but I do have my eyes on the 2019 LGC9 and the Sony A9G. Both got my attention from the recent CES show. Waiting for more information on each.
I'm loving my 65 C8! I have none of the reported issues so I am a happy camper. I bought the A780 in Sept. and the C8 (along with the UBK90) in October. I already have an ATV4k. eARC doesn't really mean anything to me because I don't need it. I don't bother to use the SmartApps because the ATV4k does all of that for me so an optical connection for just the local HDTV is just fine. The same for HDMI 2.1. I'm not a gamer so VRR is of no use to me (that I can see) and both of them are supposedly available as a firmware upgrade to HDMI 2.0b. It's going to be quite some time before the rest of to the options available in HDMI 2.1 are available for the consumer so I'm in no hurry for HDMI 2.1. Distance wouldn't be an issue for me because all of my components are in a media console that the C8 sits on.

Monster, like AudioQuest, are the kings of marketing with slick packaging and very carefully worded product descriptions. Not to mention questionable claims.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #7 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'm loving my 65 C8! I have none of the reported issues so I am a happy camper. I bought the A780 in Sept. and the C8 (along with the UBK90) in October. I already have an ATV4k. eARC doesn't really mean anything to me because I don't need it. I don't bother to use the SmartApps because the ATV4k does all of that for me so an optical connection for just the local HDTV is just fine. The same for HDMI 2.1. I'm not a gamer so VRR is of no use to me (that I can see) and both of them are supposedly available as a firmware upgrade to HDMI 2.0b. It's going to be quite some time before the rest of to the options available in HDMI 2.1 are available for the consumer so I'm in no hurry for HDMI 2.1. Distance wouldn't be an issue for me because all of my components are in a media console that the C8 sits on.

Monster, like AudioQuest, are the kings of marketing with slick packaging and very carefully worded product descriptions. Not to mention questionable claims.
Yes, very slick marketing package but surprised to see one end of the cable labeled TV. It is only a 12 ft cable. I am surprised that they did not mention in the packaging that it was an active cable; not even on the website. They just state they use cable components that allow transmission over longer lengths without signal loss. But I have it connected correctly and I am getting ARC and good PQ, but as you stated probably paid too much. So who knows?

You have a very nice set up! I have been thinking about the ATV4K as well. I am intrigued about how your apps on the C8 compare to the ATV4K apps in terms of PQ and quantity? Assuming your ATV4K is connected to your A780 via HDMI, are you saying that you are using the A780 optical out to connect to the C8? Same for your UBK90- how is that connected to your A780 (HDMI and/or optical)? I believe you have the same input/output ports on your A780 as I have on my RXA-770BL. I assume all of your peripherals are going through your A780 and not directly to your C8? What type of connections are your using to connect the A780 to the C8?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Yes, very slick marketing package but surprised to see one end of the cable labeled TV. It is only a 12 ft cable. I am surprised that they did not mention in the packaging that it was an active cable; not even on the website. They just state they use cable components that allow transmission over longer lengths without signal loss. But I have it connected correctly and I am getting ARC and good PQ, but as you stated probably paid too much. So who knows?

You have a very nice set up! I have been thinking about the ATV4K as well. I am intrigued about how your apps on the C8 compare to the ATV4K apps in terms of PQ and quantity? Assuming your ATV4K is connected to your A780 via HDMI, are you saying that you are using the A780 optical out to connect to the C8? Same for your UBK90- how is that connected to your A780 (HDMI and/or optical)? I believe you have the same input/output ports on your A780 as I have on my RXA-770BL. I assume all of your peripherals are going through your A780 and not directly to your C8? What type of connections are your using to connect the A780 to the C8?
The A-780 is the hub of my system. The ATV4k and the UBK90 are both connected, via Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC) to the receiver. A single HDMI cable (Premium) connects the receiver to the C8. We have Comcrap cable so the entire system is hardwired to the router downstairs so no WiFi connectivity. An 8-port gigabit switch hidden in the media console connects all of the devices to the router. The Comcrap tv is local HDTV only so the cable box is connected directly to the C8. I had to do that because I have a legacy cable box (1080 only) which does not play nice with Deep Color so I had to connect it directly (Premium HDMI cable) so I could disable Deep Color on that HDMI input only. Audio out for local HDTV is via optical to the receiver.

I don't bother with the SmartApps because the ATV4k takes care of all of my streaming needs without any issues. ARC/CEC is disabled on all the devices (except the UBK90 because CEC can't be disabled) and the entire system is controlled by a Harmony 700. I have a similar setup with an older LG LCD downstairs using a Yamaha V-371 as the hub.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #9 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The A-780 is the hub of my system. The ATV4k and the UBK90 are both connected, via Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC) to the receiver. A single HDMI cable (Premium) connects the receiver to the C8. We have Comcrap cable so the entire system is hardwired to the router downstairs so no WiFi connectivity. An 8-port gigabit switch hidden in the media console connects all of the devices to the router. The Comcrap tv is local HDTV only so the cable box is connected directly to the C8. I had to do that because I have a legacy cable box (1080 only) which does not play nice with Deep Color so I had to connect it directly (Premium HDMI cable) so I could disable Deep Color on that HDMI input only. Audio out for local HDTV is via optical to the receiver.

I don't bother with the SmartApps because the ATV4k takes care of all of my streaming needs without any issues. ARC/CEC is disabled on all the devices (except the UBK90 because CEC can't be disabled) and the entire system is controlled by a Harmony 700. I have a similar setup with an older LG LCD downstairs using a Yamaha V-371 as the hub.

OK, great. Thanks for sharing.

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I would not assume any 'active' device is eARC compatible unless it indicates that as a supported Feature.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
+1

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #12 of 28 Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
In a sense, you could consider an active cable directional. That's why the cable is labeled "sink", "tv side", "source", etc. The direction is source to sink. If you fished your cable thru the wall hopefully you used a conduit to make cable upgrade/replacement easier. The downside of an active cable is that they can fail over time, just like any electronic device. Also, as video technology continues to move forward, the chipset in the sink end may not be able to keep up so a cable change with newer chipset may be necessary. Connection technology always lags behind video technology.

I don't use ARC because quite often it is associated with CEC, which has lots of problems that can affect ARC. I use optical from my tv (LG 65 C8 OLED) to the receiver for local HDTV audio (5.1). All other audio from the connected devices goes thru the receiver (Yamaha A-780).

Some device mfrs have indicated that eARC may be capable with a firmware upgrade to the HDMI 2.0(b) chipsets. I don't know if previous versions of HDMI (1.4,1.3) are capable of a firmware upgrade to eARC. eARC is part of the new HDMI 2.1 hardware protocols but HDMI 2.0b is capable of handling eARC. You might want to check and see which HDMI hardware version your Panasonic may have. That could be your limiting factor for now.

As I mentioned, eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware (chipsets) which will be available on some of the upcoming 2019 tv's. LG has already announced that some of their 2019 OLED's will have fully compliant HDMI 2.1 so you'll have to check with which ever mfr you are considering. If you are considering, or have need for the other options that will be available with HDMI 2.1 keep in mind that as of now, the maximum cable length for fully compliant HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) is 9'. That shouldn't affect eARC but no one knows for sure. A lot of folks are switching to hybrid fiber cables for their 4k HDR runs that are over about 20'. At 12' you should be ok but it's something to keep in mind. Hence the use of a conduit unless your cable run is easy to replace/upgrade.
Finally received a response Monster customer support regarding why one end of this cable is labled TV and ARC capability. Their response: "The ARC portion of the cable is bi-directional. However, the signal amplifier for the other parts of the cable is directional." I assume the signal amplifier they are referring to is an active chipset in the sink (TV) side connection?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Finally received a response Monster customer support regarding why one end of this cable is labled TV and ARC capability. Their response: "The ARC portion of the cable is bi-directional. However, the signal amplifier for the other parts of the cable is directional." I assume the signal amplifier they are referring to is an active chipset in the sink (TV) side connection?
This is from a CS agent who is just reading from a script. Yes, it is an active cable.
JNMNL52 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #14 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
This is from a CS agent who is just reading from a script. Yes, it is an active cable.
Thanks!!

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
theaterofpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't understand this post. Why does it exist? Why did the OP buy Monster cable? Why haven't the mods scrubbed the dirty language in this post, namely, "Monster" - hasn't this word been considered a dirty word on AVSF since... gee, I don't know... 1997?!
theaterofpain is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I don't understand this post.
Why?
Quote:
Why does it exist?
The Poster had valid questions. He was seeking assistance.
Quote:
Why did the OP buy Monster cable?
Because he selected a cable based on the "name", convenience or perhaps directed by store personnel. It happens often.
Quote:
Why haven't the mods scrubbed the dirty language in this post, namely, "Monster" - hasn't this word been considered a dirty word on AVSF since... gee, I don't know... 1997?!
It's the name of the manufacturer. Why is it "dirty"? No reason for mods or admins to ban the name. If that were done... they would have to also ban the name of hundreds of other similar manufacturer names.


The poster has been getting his questions answered with help from others.
beerhunt likes this.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #17 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Why?

The Poster had valid questions. He was seeking assistance.

Because he selected a cable based on the "name", convenience or perhaps directed by store personnel. It happens often.
It's the name of the manufacturer. Why is it "dirty"? No reason for mods or admins to ban the name. If that were done... they would have to also ban the name of hundreds of other similar manufacturer names.


The poster has been getting his questions answered with help from others.

Reading his other posts I think he just likes to post to see what kinds of reactions he gets. I don't recall reading anything that was positive or helpful.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #18 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
His signature says it all.


I see his "signature" has been removed. That's good.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 01-20-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Ratman is online now  
post #19 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
theaterofpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Sarcasm is lost on a lot of members here, but I think that's more telling of their age.
theaterofpain is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Sarcasm is fine if you can balance that with helpful posts pertaining to the subject of the thread. The idea of AVS is to help folks where we can, not be sarcastic or mean.
beerhunt likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #21 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
No matter your age.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #22 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,188
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I don't understand this post. Why does it exist? Why did the OP buy Monster cable? Why haven't the mods scrubbed the dirty language in this post, namely, "Monster" - hasn't this word been considered a dirty word on AVSF since... gee, I don't know... 1997?!
If you are not going to add anything to the discussion, please take it somewhere other than AVS.
rboster is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
If you are not going to add anything to the discussion, please take it somewhere other than AVS.
Thank you. I subscribed to AVS Forum because I desire to increase my knowledge of the AV world and I consider myself a novice. I have received a lot good advice and counsel since my membership and use the forum to make educated decisions on new equipment. This thread reached its conclusion and I appreciated the answers received, but disappointed in the trash talk that came about in the last couple of posts. WTF is with that?? Thanks for coming up on the net.
beerhunt likes this.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
If you are not going to add anything to the discussion, please take it somewhere other than AVS.

Thank you. He's done similar posts in other forums on AVS as well.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #25 of 28 Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thank you. I subscribed to AVS Forum because I desire to increase my knowledge of the AV world and I consider myself a novice. I have received a lot good advice and counsel since my membership and use the forum to make educated decisions on new equipment. This thread reached its conclusion and I appreciated the answers received, but disappointed in the trash talk that came about in the last couple of posts. WTF is with that?? Thanks for coming up on the net.

Don't despair. Most of us here really try to be helpful without being sarcastic or condescending. Please continue to post if you have any other questions and we'll get back to if we think we can help.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #26 of 28 Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Brasil
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does this model support HDR in Ps4 Pro?




Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HighSpeed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 16 ft. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3W91IA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_2KERCb1AQ7H92
Andpodepah is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
You will get the same answers as in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/35-ca...l#post57880094



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #28 of 28 Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,310
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andpodepah View Post
Does this model support HDR in Ps4 Pro?




Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HighSpeed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 16 ft. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3W91IA..._2KERCb1AQ7H92

I already answered that same question in your other post. That's an overpriced, overhyped, b.s. Monster cable. At under 20', all you need is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label). 18Gbps is the bandwidth requirement for 4k HDR. Monster's claim of 27Gbps is unsubstantiated and very dubious at best.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off