• 2 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
30 foot HDMI cable

I am not sure of the right place to post this but I think this forum gets more traffic than most so I thought I would have a better chance of getting an answer.

I have a projector being driven by a computer. It is a Optima GT 1080 Darbee projector, around $650. It is projecting onto a 13' wide by 10' tall Golf simulator impact screen. This is a stretchy screen that is not really reflective. I have been disappointed by the 1080i picture since I put it together. Its a fuzzy picture but I am not sure what I should expect because of the nature and size of the screen.

When I installed it a few weeks ago I put a standard 30 foot HDMI cable. I am wondering if the cable could limit the picture? Its a digital signal so I was thinking it either works or it doesn't. I recently read some things that make me question that.

Would an active HDMI cable improve the image?

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...1#post19489740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Unless you are getting a signal drop out or sparkles on the screen, then it is probably not a cable problem.

Now if you are feeding a terrible resolution that doesn't match the projector, then it will look fuzzy. Also if you don't focus the projector properly or the screen isn't aligned properly for the projector placement, then that too would make it fuzzy.

Check out https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...80-blurry.html which talks about how tricky that one is to get lined up.

Of course based on the name I guess it has a darbee in it, which is setup wrong can almost certainly ruin the image too.

My first guess would be alignment with the screen though and hence bad focus.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Unless you are getting a signal drop out or sparkles on the screen, then it is probably not a cable problem.

Now if you are feeding a terrible resolution that doesn't match the projector, then it will look fuzzy. Also if you don't focus the projector properly or the screen isn't aligned properly for the projector placement, then that too would make it fuzzy.

Check out https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...80-blurry.html which talks about how tricky that one is to get lined up.

Of course based on the name I guess it has a darbee in it, which is setup wrong can almost certainly ruin the image too.

My first guess would be alignment with the screen though and hence bad focus.
I have played with that. It is not easy to get correct you are right. I would think if I was off some portion of the screen wold be sharper than the others where the plane was correct.

T6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
What do you mean by "standard HDMI cable"? There really is only one kind of HDMI cable to use now and that is a High Speed HDMI cable. 30' is getting long so an active High Speed HDMI cable may help but yeah, if you're not getting sparkles and drop outs as mentioned above then it probably isn't the cable.

At 30' is your installation in-wall? If so, are you using a conduit to run your cable in? If not, it could be an installation issue (too sharp of a bend radius for example). Did you test the cable before installation by laying it out on the floor?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 352
'I have been disappointed by the 1080i picture since I put it together.' - do you mean for Golf Sim playback or when you wish to use the system as a regular 'Video' Display?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For Golf Simulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'I have been disappointed by the 1080i picture since I put it together.' - do you mean for Golf Sim playback or when you wish to use the system as a regular 'Video' Display?

Joe
I never do anything but golf simulation on this setup. A LED TV plays the same image and it looks fine.

I installed it and there are no radical bends in the cable.

T6

post #7 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Just a thought....
Temporarily try using the 30' HDMI cable with the source and the LED TV. I the LED TV PQ doesn't deteriorate, the cable may not be the problem.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 352
LED TV - will always look 'sharper' than a large projected image.

Impact screen - have you tried projecting onto an alternative surface to confirm the projected image is sharp?

Pixel Mapping - have you confirmed the Source is Outputting a 1920x1080 image and you have no scaling/overscan applied at the Projector? Use a 1:1 pixel test pattern to confirm.

Joe
Ratman likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
LED TV - will always look 'sharper' than a large projected image.

Impact screen - have you tried projecting onto an alternative surface to confirm the projected image is sharp?

Pixel Mapping - have you confirmed the Source is Outputting a 1920x1080 image and you have no scaling/overscan applied at the Projector? Use a 1:1 pixel test pattern to confirm.

Joe
I have not tried to project to a wall, I could try that relatively easily. The cable is run in a way that I would not want to remove it to test it. I ordered an active cable this morning. I wanted one a little longer so it was worth it to me even if it does not solve the problem.

I have tried the projector in different resolutions, it does not seem to make a difference. Right now I believe the projector is set to native and I control the aspect ratio with the graphics card.

One thing that bothers me is that the focus is almost all the way to one extreme. I believe I go from unfocused to focused to unfocused when running through the range but I can don't have much more adjustment when I get through focus till I hit the stop. I am considering exchanging the projector.

T6

post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Did some testing

I got an active cable and tried it out. As expected no change.
I then got a white piece of cardboard and put it against the screen and it helped punch up the colors but it is still not what I would call sharp. I would never watch a movie on it.

I also when through a exchange procedure with Amazon and new projector came in. The existing projector is hung off the ceiling so I thought I would play around with it on a table to test different distances and things. It is DOA. I'll keep trying.

T6

post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Replaced the projector

I got a warranty replacement projector from Amazon. I tested it on the floor and it was much better. The focus slider achieves focus near the middle not at the extreme end of its travel.
I did run the Active cable through the ceiling and it all looks good. The problem I had was that I had no frame of reference as to how good it should look.

Thanks for the advise.

T6

post #12 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post
I did run the Active cable through the ceiling and it all looks good. The problem I had was that I had no frame of reference as to how good it should look.
A HDMI cable will not make a digital video signal look "good" or "better"... active or passive. As mentioned in posts 2 and 4, no sparklies or dropouts? The cable is probably not your issue.

Glad you got a new PJ under warranty.
Otto Pylot and markrubin like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page