HDMI Extender - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI Extender

We have a 40 foot high bandwidth HDMI cable going from receiver to a native 4k projector.

We like to watch UHD movies and take full advantage of the native 4k.

Unfortunately we need to move the projector roughly another 10 feet, and there is no way to pull the cable back through.

So need to figure out an HDMI extender.

This system seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - is there something that you recommend as gold standard?

https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-Exten...ustomerReviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycview2 View Post
We have a 40 foot high bandwidth HDMI cable going from receiver to a native 4k projector.

We like to watch UHD movies and take full advantage of the native 4k.

Unfortunately we need to move the projector roughly another 10 feet, and there is no way to pull the cable back through.

So need to figure out an HDMI extender.

This system seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - is there something that you recommend as gold standard?

https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-Exten...ustomerReviews

Ideally, your best bet would be to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro) to maintain a single, HDMI cable connection from source to sink. HDBT extenders can work but oftentimes they don't because of the chipsets contained in them. If they are using the latest Spectra 7 chipsets, maybe. Anytime you introduce a "break" in a cable connection (extender, adapter, etc) you run the risk of losing some signal integrity. 4k HDR can be very finicky with it's signal path.

By high bandwidth HDMI cable I assume you mean a cable that is capable of up to 18Gbps (High Speed HDMI cable). Is it a passive or active cable? Also, at 40' - 50' I'm assuming that the cable was installed in a conduit for ease of installation/upgrading?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Consultant for Ruipro.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Ideally, your best bet would be to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro) to maintain a single, HDMI cable connection from source to sink. HDBT extenders can work but oftentimes they don't because of the chipsets contained in them. If they are using the latest Spectra 7 chipsets, maybe. Anytime you introduce a "break" in a cable connection (extender, adapter, etc) you run the risk of losing some signal integrity. 4k HDR can be very finicky with it's signal path. By high bandwidth HDMI cable I assume you mean a cable that is capable of up to 18Gbps (High Speed HDMI cable). Is it a passive or active cable? Also, at 40' - 50' I'm assuming that the cable was installed in a conduit for ease of installation/upgrading?
1) This is the exact cable we installed - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Nope, no conduit. Maybe should have checked in with AVS forum before the install . This was put into a full new remodel and no easy upgrade path without taking the ceiling off again. Some chance we could pull up the carpet and run it to new location that way.

3) Thank you very much for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycview2 View Post
1) This is the exact cable we installed - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Nope, no conduit. Maybe should have checked in with AVS forum before the install . This was put into a full new remodel and no easy upgrade path without taking the ceiling off again. Some chance we could pull up the carpet and run it to new location that way.

3) Thank you very much for suggestions.

That appears to be a passive, copper-based cable. You can try an active adapter but you will probably have issues, especially at 50'. Like I said, 4k HDR does have issues at lengths longer than about 20' so the fact that you were able to maintain good signal at 40' is a bit surprising. There is no indication on how they validated their marketing claims so it's anybody's guess as to how the cable will perform with an active adapter (you'll need a power source for it).

Conduit is the ONLY way to future-proof your cabling so that's why we recommend conduit, or at least an easy way to access your cabling because cable requirements are going to change, especially once HDMI 2.1 devices are out in the wild. I wouldn't worry about 4k (4096x2160) because there are no sources that actually transmit in 4k, only UHD (3840x2160). Unfortunately, the term 4k is used interchangeably with UHD which is confusing to the consumer.

Consultant for Ruipro.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 323
'We like to watch UHD movies and take full advantage of the native 4k' - the current problem is that HDBT lacks the bandwidth to carry 18Gbps without using some form of compression so you have to hook up whichever Extender you choose and ensure there is no visible degradation on your system.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM

^^^^ Thanks Joe. I forgot about the current bandwidth limitations of HDBT.

Consultant for Ruipro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page