Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Anyone Try 4K Wireless Yet?

I was just looking and came across this...
https://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-...ansmitter.html

Obviously the price isn't in the "HDMI CABLE" category, but may be a good retro option for those who aren't looking to fix drywall and have cabling run.

But, I'm more interested in whether anyone has actually used this and done any real world testing.

Feedback instead of 'options'. Though other wireless solutions would be interesting.

What I don't know, because they don't mention it, is if UHD/HDR is supported at 18Gb/s. They talk about 4K and 4K/60, but that doesn't guaranty 4K/HDR 18Gb/s as a option.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I was just looking and came across this...
https://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-...ansmitter.html

Obviously the price isn't in the "HDMI CABLE" category, but may be a good retro option for those who aren't looking to fix drywall and have cabling run.

But, I'm more interested in whether anyone has actually used this and done any real world testing.

Feedback instead of 'options'. Though other wireless solutions would be interesting.

What I don't know, because they don't mention it, is if UHD/HDR is supported at 18Gb/s. They talk about 4K and 4K/60, but that doesn't guaranty 4K/HDR 18Gb/s as a option.
wifi is up to 300 mbps, 4K requires 12 GBPS and 4K UHD requires 18 GBPS. LG WebOS will stream what they call Netflix 4K UHD and I think it is a noticeable improvement but it is not as high quality as I get playing a 4K UltraHD disc on my OPPO UDP-205 to my LG e6p and audio from my Yamaha AVR TSR 7810.

So, wifi uses compression and decompression with a transmitter and receiver. The claim is the quality is equivalent but that is in the eye of the beholder. If all the lost data does not matter this claim could be true.

There are a lot of wiggle words and naive consumers.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
wifi is up to 300 mbps, 4K requires 12 GBPS and 4K UHD requires 18 GBPS. LG WebOS will stream what they call Netflix 4K UHD and I think it is a noticeable improvement but it is not as high quality as I get playing a 4K UltraHD disc on my OPPO UDP-205 to my LG e6p and audio from my Yamaha AVR TSR 7810.

So, wifi uses compression and decompression with a transmitter and receiver. The claim is the quality is equivalent but that is in the eye of the beholder. If all the lost data does not matter this claim could be true.

There are a lot of wiggle words and naive consumers.
Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of Wi-Fi and the rest. Wireless HDMI is often point to point, not sure if they are actually using Wi-Fi, or something more proprietary since they are almost always point to point solutions, and often range limited.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has used one a 4K solution for wireless, compared it with a cabled solution, and what their thoughts were on the product and actual results.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of Wi-Fi and the rest. Wireless HDMI is often point to point, not sure if they are actually using Wi-Fi, or something more proprietary since they are almost always point to point solutions, and often range limited.

4/22/2019 Otto in another thread stated he has read a number of complaints about HDMI wireless.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has used one a 4K solution for wireless, compared it with a cabled solution, and what their thoughts were on the product and actual results.
Here is a review of various HDMI wireless solutions: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-wireless-hdmi-transmitters I think quality takes a hit but there are a number of other reasons for using wireless HDMI which I did not consider.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 04-22-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Otto reported problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page