HDMI 2.1 VRR Specs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question HDMI 2.1 VRR Specs?

Does anyone know the specifics on the VRR portion of the HDMI 2.1 spec? Are there any specific requirements for it, like required frequency ranges?

As an example, according to rtings, the Samsung Q90R supports Freesync VRR from 20Hz to 120Hz @ 1080p, but only 48Hz to 60Hz @ 4k. Does the HDMI 2.1 spec require VRR to cover a certain frequency range at 4k? Hopefully something better than 48Hz to 60Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorArchitect View Post
Does anyone know the specifics on the VRR portion of the HDMI 2.1 spec? Are there any specific requirements for it, like required frequency ranges?

As an example, according to rtings, the Samsung Q90R supports Freesync VRR from 20Hz to 120Hz @ 1080p, but only 48Hz to 60Hz @ 4k. Does the HDMI 2.1 spec require VRR to cover a certain frequency range at 4k? Hopefully something better than 48Hz to 60Hz.
Owning a FreeSync PC Gaming monitor, I am very curious about this as well. And from all my research by definition of the Spec it must support [email protected] 120Hz at the Top But no word on the bottom of that range, but since no GPU even the best ones today can push out 4K Gaming at 120Hz that gonna be a challenge. That’s why FreeSync and Gsync exists to delivery variable refresh rates.

So I’m holding off until TVs either get on track and support FreeSync or Gsync.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
...but since no GPU even the best ones today can push out 4K Gaming at 120Hz that gonna be a challenge. That’s why FreeSync and Gsync exists to delivery variable refresh rates.

I am interested in it more from the console gaming side of things. Most likely, all the next generation consoles will support VRR. I don't think they will be pushing 4k past 60 fps, so I am not too worried about the higher frame rates. I am more worried about the below 48 Hz range.

I've been trying to research what I can to figure this out, but I'm not sure if I understand it fully. Perhaps someone can confirm if I have it correct. Without VRR, if your fps is over your refresh rate, you will have tearing on every refresh, so there will always be tearing. It may jump around to different parts of the screen, but it will always be there. However, if your fps is under your refresh rate, then you only have tearing on some of the refreshes. So, for example, if your tv is refreshing at 120Hz, but your fps is 35, you will get screen tearing every 3rd or 4th refresh? The other refreshes will not have tearing. Is that correct? If so, it seems that screen tearing would be a little less of a concern at low frame rates than at high frame rates as persistence of vision would make the tearing harder to notice?

I'm trying to figure out if the current implementation of Freesync on the Samsung Q90R will be sufficiently useful for the next gen consoles or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Owning a FreeSync PC Gaming monitor, I am very curious about this as well. And from all my research by definition of the Spec it must support [email protected] 120Hz at the Top But no word on the bottom of that range, but since no GPU even the best ones today can push out 4K Gaming at 120Hz that gonna be a challenge. That’s why FreeSync and Gsync exists to delivery variable refresh rates.

But the whole idea of HDMI 2.1 VRR is so you don’t need freesync and gsync.

So unless HDMI 2.1 VRR total sucks That would be the only reason to support the other technologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page