HDMI Cable recommendations for 4K, HDR, Atmos etc. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 404
When you say cost is not justifiable , you should add two words 'to me'. People don't look at cost the same way. I told you that even in the us, you can get a 6 ft. audioquest for 40 odd bucks on amazon, im sure there are people in america who can 'justify' that cost. And for me, im looking at the cost relative to what i have spent on my equipment in the dedicated room i built, im sure it went over 20k+ in us dollars, and the fronts bowers speaker pair that cost around 9k, relative towhat i spent i think spending 50 on a hdmi cable is justified, i do not see that as ridiculously priced. And while i dont get the names like monoprice you mentioned at my place, i do get other lower priced hdmi cables but i tend to avoid them.
Nothing against you or anybody who's not buying into AQ or other premium cables, im not trying to suggest that you should, if youre already satisfied with the lesser priced brands that you stick to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
When you say cost is not justifiable , you should add two words 'to me'. People don't look at cost the same way. I told you that even in the us, you can get a 6 ft. audioquest for 40 odd bucks on amazon, im sure there are people in america who can 'justify' that cost. And for me, im looking at the cost relative to what i have spent on my equipment in the dedicated room i built, im sure it went over 20k+ in us dollars, and the fronts bowers speaker pair that cost around 9k, relative towhat i spent i think spending 50 on a hdmi cable is justified, i do not see that as ridiculously priced. And while i dont get the names like monoprice you mentioned at my place, i do get other lower priced hdmi cables but i tend to avoid them.
Nothing against you or anybody who's not buying into AQ or other premium cables, im not trying to suggest that you should, if youre already satisfied with the lesser priced brands that you stick to.

You just don't get it. If you're happy with AQ cables where you live, and do not have the options for cables that we have over here then that's fine. You need to get what you can. The cost relative to your equipment is a non-factor to most. If a $20 cable performs the same as a $50 cable then what's wrong with going with the $20 cable, unless you need to say "I have this and that" for my HTS. Get over it. There is no difference in a quality-made cable at $20 than there is at one at $50. Period.

A lesser price brand implies that it is a lesser quality cable. To that I say b.s.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #33 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 404
The cost relative to my equipment is a factor for me. unfortunately you pretend that you speak for everyone with cost justifiability. I already said, that i have a dedicated room that runs over 20k+ usd worth of equipment, a 50 buck hdmi cable that would last me many years is justifiable cost to me .And that should end the 'justifiability' argument. When hdmi cables were new of on the bloc (when hdmi just launched in the market), i remember you couldnt get any hdmi cable lower than around 200 usd, these cables launched very expensive and at that time you had to pay much stiffer prices than today.

And no hdmi cable will make picture or audio better or worse than the other, it's a digital cable after all. But build quality and looks 'can' be an advantage with a higher priced cable. Just like the example i gave, i had this other cable that cost around 10-15 usd, worked very well but its thin jacket covering tore off near the end of the plug after some months due to repeatedly bending it. The AQ pearl i have had since 5 years has gone through many bends but nothing tore. So the difference turned out to be the jacket, AQ's jacket is higher quality, much thicker and still flexible to bend. Of course, it could be that the monoprice or whatever brands you mention have good build quality, but i cant comment on them because i have no personal experience with them.
The three brands i currently have in my setup for hdmi cables are AQ, blue rigger and sony, they all work great (and without any logo branding). I dont see any point of debating this further, enjoy whatever brand you prefer.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wink Saving money ROCKX

Hey sdg4vfx, did you get all of that (discussion between Otto Pylot & Menarini)?
Would you buy something that is 2 to 10 times the price unnecessairily ( all things being equal such as build quality)? NOT ME!!

@ Menarini...Otto Pylot is a most knowledgeable and sincere person! What you may not realize is what the USA American perspective is, is that we THRIVE to get the best value (cost) of the products that we buy! The USA has the MOST scams for most products worldwide because the USA is the top consumer nation IN THE WORLD!! Thus, this is why Otto repeatedly emphasizes cost. In other words its not about how much is spent overall for the 'system' that determines what every 'item' within that system cost!
I understand fully what your situation/ideas are.....I hope this helps you to understand the 'American' perspective more...
post #35 of 39 Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 353
'it was by some chinese company' - have you confirmed where your AQ cable was manufactured/sourced from?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #36 of 39 Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Still Quite Confused

Recently got a pretty good quality 4K setup,as described in my signature.Went to Micro Center and asked for a cable capable of delivering full 4K images to the TV. I didn't pay attention to any labels (I've thrown the packaging away) but on the cable itself are the words "High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet". Did he give me the correct cable? I must say that the images I get are stunning and when I hit "display" on the TV remote it says something like 3200X2400 when playing a 4K disc (Planet Earth II,for example).

TIA to all who reply!

Sony XBR 49X900F
Sony UBP X800

Last edited by listerone; 03-31-2020 at 07:02 PM.
post #37 of 39 Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Recently got a pretty good quality 4K setup,as described in my signature.Went to Micro Center and asked for a cable capable of delivering full 4K images to the TV. I didn't pay attention to any labels (I've thrown the packaging away) but on the cable itself are the words "High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet". Did he give me the correct cable? I must say that the images I get are stunning and when I hit "display" on the TV remote it says something like 3200X2400 when playing a 4K disc (Planet Earth II,for example).

TIA to all who reply!

Sony XBR 49X900F
Sony UBP X800

The cable is just the data pipe. It can not make pq any better that what is being sent and received. Any certified High Speed HDMI cable will be able to handle 4k HDR up to 25'. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable is one that is certified by HDMI.org and will come with a QR label for authenticity. Any cable mfr can submit their cables for certification but they will all come with the QR label on the packaging and be labeled as Premium High Speed HDMI. The certification is good to 25' for passive cables only. Active cables can not receive the certification label or the QR label. Ethernet really means nothing because there are no consumer devices that can utilize ethernet. However, eARC will utilize the ethernet channel if eARC is something that you want to do.

From your description it sounds like you were sold a non-certified High Speed HDMI cable. If you are happy with what you have, then stay with it. How long is your run?

post #38 of 39 Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The cable is just the data pipe. It can not make pq any better that what is being sent and received. Any certified High Speed HDMI cable will be able to handle 4k HDR up to 25'. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable is one that is certified by HDMI.org and will come with a QR label for authenticity. Any cable mfr can submit their cables for certification but they will all come with the QR label on the packaging and be labeled as Premium High Speed HDMI. The certification is good to 25' for passive cables only. Active cables can not receive the certification label or the QR label. Ethernet really means nothing because there are no consumer devices that can utilize ethernet. However, eARC will utilize the ethernet channel if eARC is something that you want to do.

From your description it sounds like you were sold a non-certified High Speed HDMI cable. If you are happy with what you have, then stay with it. How long is your run?
Thanks for your reply.My cords are no more than 6 feet long,my cable box and bluray player sit directly below the TV.As I suggested I'm very happy with the picture quality on the several 4K discs I have (Planet Earth II in particular) but if spending another $10-$20 on a cable with higher data capacity and/or fidelity than the one I have will give me better results I'll do it.Of course my attitude is based on my assumption that I have a relatively high quality bluray player and TV.

Having seen here the certification logo of what is assumed to be the highest quality cable perhaps I'll go back to Micro Center (or Amazon) and buy a 4-6 foot cable with that logo on the packaging.

And just curious...what is "eARC"? (Yes,I'm truly a technology dunce!)

Sony XBR 49X900F
Sony UBP X800
post #39 of 39 Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Thanks for your reply.My cords are no more than 6 feet long,my cable box and bluray player sit directly below the TV.As I suggested I'm very happy with the picture quality on the several 4K discs I have (Planet Earth II in particular) but if spending another $10-$20 on a cable with higher data capacity and/or fidelity than the one I have will give me better results I'll do it.Of course my attitude is based on my assumption that I have a relatively high quality bluray player and TV.

Having seen here the certification logo of what is assumed to be the highest quality cable perhaps I'll go back to Micro Center (or Amazon) and buy a 4-6 foot cable with that logo on the packaging.

And just curious...what is "eARC"? (Yes,I'm truly a technology dunce!)

Sony XBR 49X900F
Sony UBP X800
HDMI 2.0 is the most widely used HDMI specification and is set at 18Gbps bandwidth as defined by the specifications. HDMI 2.1 is just starting to appear in bits and pieces. 48Gbps is the maximum bandwidth for fully compliant HDMI 2.1 (complete option sets) but it's going to be quite awhile yet before there are consumer devices that take full advantage of all that HDMI 2.1 has to offer, let alone video standards that require the full 48Gbps bandwidth. Gamers are the ones that are benefitting now for some of the HDMI 2.1 options, but some of those are already available on the HDMI 2.0 chipsets. Just keep in mind that the cable itself can not make the pg any better regardless of what the cable description says. It is just a data pipe, ones and zeros. What determines what you see and hear are the HDMI chipsets at your source and sink. Both ends of the HDMI chain should have the same version of HDMI chipsets. Otherwise what is determined by what you get is the in-common common option sets. In other words, if your source has HDMI 1.4 and the sink has HDMI 2.0, you will only be able to use the option sets that are available to HDMI 1.4.

Your cable run is less than 10' and apparently is a direct connect, no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc so you've got about the most reliable connection one can have. That's one of the reasons why you are not having any issues with 4k HDR and just High Speed HDMI cables. Distance can be problematic for 4k HDR. If you are satisfied with what you see, then stick with your current cables. If pq issues arise, then switch out to Premium High Speed HDMI cables. At your length and setup, that's the best you can do. But if it ain't broke........

eARC is Enhanced Audio Return Channel and allows you to push HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, Lossless Atmos, etc) from the onboard apps to the receiver and vice versa. ARC is limited to discrete 5.1. eARC is one of the newer option sets for HDMI 2.1 but is possible with HDMI 2.0 if your device mfr has chosen to implement that feature with a firmware upgrade.
listerone likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page