HDMI Cable recommendations for 4K, HDR, Atmos etc. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 05-25-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 220
HDMI Cable recommendations for 4K, HDR, Atmos etc.

Looked for but didn't find a thread on this ...

Can anyone recommend dependable HDMI cables for current AVR's and Displays? (UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Atmos, etc.)

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.

Last edited by sdg4vfx; 05-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Looked for but didn't find a thread on this ...

Can anyone recommend dependable HDMI cables for current AVR's and Displays? (UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Atmos, etc.)

Thanks.
Any certified HDMI cable with the Premium logo (see link) will do.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
solarrdadd likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
^^^^ Agreed. If your run is under about 20' then any Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) should work. Just be mindful of bend radius. If your run is over 25', then your best bet would be a hybrid fiber cable from someone like Ruipro.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

I notice that a lot of cables use the words "Certified Premium" in their description but don't show the logo. (This is sometimes the case even for Monoprice cables, including instances where some cable lengths of the same model have the logo and some don't.)

Is the logo the important part?

post #5 of 39 Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 404
post #6 of 39 Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 PM

If you want a more budget cable, this works fine as well
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6f.../dp/B00NQ9OQU2
post #7 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 04:01 AM

Yes, the logo is important. And don't waste your money on the Audioquest. Monoprice will work just as well (provided you don't have a very long run).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #8 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
I have really high quality Crutchfield brand HDMI cables that were 15 bucks each. Excellent quality stuff. No need to spend a lot of cables. Most of the cable Industry is snake oil.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #9 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Yes, the logo is important. And don't waste your money on the Audioquest. Monoprice will work just as well (provided you don't have a very long run).
I have 5 hdmi cables from 3 different brands, neither has any such logo on it that you mentioned. i never knew having a logo stamped on it was important, my cables work with 4k hdr without it.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Buying a cable which has been through the Certification process outlined by HDMI.org simply adds an additional layer of comfort to a buyer - you at least know the cable assembly/cable production plant has been through a test process.

There are lots of copper cable assemblies which never go near a Certification process - instead the manufacturer will build and test to some form of 'in-house' process and then often make all sorts of claims about what the cable assembly can achieve.

Weirdly you have to pay extra, as a Manufacturer or Brand, to use the official Logo's on your marketing so there are many cables which have been Officially certified but are not identified using the official Logo's - generally the Logo's go on the packaging and not the cables.

There is also the underground world of Cable 'Brands' who simply purchase pre-assembled cables which are Certified by the manufacturing plant - often the 'Brand' is then unwilling to advertise or promote Certification as that can lead to folk asking to see the Certificate which will ultimately reveal who actually manufactures the cables!

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #11 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

I notice that a lot of cables use the words "Certified Premium" in their description but don't show the logo. (This is sometimes the case even for Monoprice cables, including instances where some cable lengths of the same model have the logo and some don't.)

Is the logo the important part?

The QR label is the consumer's guarantee that the cable has indeed been tested and certified by an ATC and is not a counterfeit cable. It's hard to counterfeit the QR label and the info that it directs you to. The cable itself can not be labeled as Premium High Speed HDMI cable because of HDMI.org's labeling requirements so you usually find the QR on the cable's packaging.

AudiQuest cables are overpriced and do not offer any better benefit than a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) from someone like Monprice, BJC, Mediabridge, etc. Like Monster, they are the kings of slick marketing and carefully worded claims.

Certification is not a 100% guarantee that the cable will work in any given setup but it does give the consumer piece of mind that the cable was tested, and passed the rigorous, standardized testing program designed and implemented by HDMI.org.

post #12 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
I have 5 hdmi cables from 3 different brands, neither has any such logo on it that you mentioned. i never knew having a logo stamped on it was important, my cables work with 4k hdr without it.
As others have stated, the logo is on the packaging, not the cables. And it simply adds more assurance that it will work fine with 4K/HDR. Cables without the logo may work, or may not (there have been numerous posts of people having issues with HDMI cables lacking the logo). Given the low price of Certified monoprice cables ($4.99 for a 6-ft, $5.49 for a 10-ft), why not buy ones with the logo? Of course if you already have cables that work fine, there is no need to replace them.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the responses.

All my runs except one are short (1ft or less). The run to the TV needs a 10ft cable. (HDMI ports are on the opposite side of the TV from the rest of the gear.)

For now I'll try the Monoprice cables with the logo and the high end Crutchfield cables. Seems like both brands are on the dependable side of the fence and reasonably priced.

(Get to start over sometime in the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1 ... oh boy ...)

post #14 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

All my runs except one are short (1ft or less). The run to the TV needs a 10ft cable. (HDMI ports are on the opposite side of the TV from the rest of the gear.)

For now I'll try the Monoprice cables with the logo and the high end Crutchfield cables. Seems like both brands are on the dependable side of the fence and reasonably priced.

(Get to start over sometime in the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1 ... oh boy ...)

Just go with Premium High Speed HDMI cables at the lengths you need from any cable mfr you prefer. I've used BJC cables and they work just fine.

post #15 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

"BJC cables" ?

(Mentioned Monoprice because so far they're the only cables with the cert/prem logo I've found on amazon.)

post #16 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 PM

I have not come across cables with this logo talked of here in my country, but the cables work. I toured japan in 2016, went to the cable shops in akhibara, they showed me many cables , none of them said certified on the packaging. And I actually imported a hdmi cable from Rakuten, it does not have any certification but it works. https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...4533115061391/
In asian countries, the certification logo is mostly an unknown thing, i havent seen cable boxes that have it. the brands mentioned over here, monoprice and some others are not available in asia, they'd have to be imported from amazon's american site. But since the cables sold here without the logo work, those brands do not matter.

Important factors are build quality and length. A good built 100% copper cable, 28 gauge or thicker and well soldered plugs for a tight fit..and upto 15 ft. in length will not cause problems. Once you move to 18. ft or higher, you should avoid looking at copper cables, rather fibre optic.
post #17 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
"BJC cables" ?

(Mentioned Monoprice because so far they're the only cables with the cert/prem logo I've found on amazon.)

BlueJeansCables.

post #18 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I have not come across cables with this logo talked of here in my country, but the cables work. I toured japan in 2016, went to the cable shops in akhibara, they showed me many cables , none of them said certified on the packaging. And I actually imported a hdmi cable from Rakuten, it does not have any certification but it works. https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...4533115061391/
In asian countries, the certification logo is mostly an unknown thing, i havent seen cable boxes that have it. the brands mentioned over here, monoprice and some others are not available in asia, they'd have to be imported from amazon's american site. But since the cables sold here without the logo work, those brands do not matter.

Important factors are build quality and length. A good built 100% copper cable, 28 gauge or thicker and well soldered plugs for a tight fit..and upto 15 ft. in length will not cause problems. Once you move to 18. ft or higher, you should avoid looking at copper cables, rather fibre optic.

That's unfortunate. If the cable works as expected then that's all you can do. Thicker gauge cables are better for maintaining signal integrity but then you run the risk of increasing the strain on the HDMI input, and the bend radius can be greatly reduced. Solid copper wire is a must but unless the cable mfr states that in their description, a lot of cables are copper coated aluminum (CCA) to keep costs down which is no bueno. At over 20' I'd recommend a hybrid fiber cable, not just a fiber cable. Hybrid fiber cables not only have a glass fiber optic core, it is surrounded by solid copper wiring for the lower bandwidth options like ARC, HDCP, and EDID which frees up more bandwidth for video. They are also active so they can not be certified by an ATC due to the restriction by HDMI.org of certifying active cables, copper or fiber.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 05-27-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That's unfortunate. If the cable works as expected then that's all you can do. Thicker gauge cables are better for maintaining signal integrity but then you run the risk of increasing the strain on the HDMI input, and the bend radius can be greatly reduced. Solid copper wire is a must but unless the cable mfr states that in their description, a lot of cables are copper coated aluminum (CCA) to keep costs down which is no bueno. At over 20' I'd recommend a hybrid fiber cable, not just a fiber cable. Hybrid fiber cables not only have a glass fiber optic core, it is surrounded by solid copper wiring for the lower bandwidth options like ARC, HDCP, and EDID which frees up more bandwidth for video. They are also active so they can not be certified by an ATC due to HDMI.org's restriction of certifying active cables, copper or fiber.
And that's one benefit of AQ , even though they are priced quite high, you wont get CCA from them, it will be pure copper.
And there is nothing unfortunate about a label not being stamped on the carton, i dont chase labels i chase quality. For performance, the cable's build quality is what matters. 28 or 26 gauge can be made flexible for bends without putting strain on the plug, it's the flexible cable jacket that will play a role in this.
And over 18 -20 ft., copper would cause issues, it'll still work but with the highest resolutions like 4k hdr, youl'll get constant drops or a blank screen. If you're pairing to a 4k projector and running in wall needing a length of 25,35 or 50 ft., copper is not an option, a fibre optic cable will work, the newer hybrid ones will work too. Technically, pure silvers would work too, but due to the enormous costs of having pure silver end to end at such big lengths, they dont get manufactured.

Just to let you know, some of the cables i have were bought even 'before' hdmi 2.0a became standardized. hdmi 2.0a was what introduced hdr support. i have 2 audioquest pearl hdmi cables (i got them relatively cheap in a christmas deal) from 2014, they work with 4k60 4:2:2 12 bit.
If you ask AQ about this premium certificate thing, their tech support tells you it's not needed. Because even their highest end cables to this date dont have any logo, however they still work.
post #20 of 39 Old 05-27-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
And that's one benefit of AQ , even though they are priced quite high, you wont get CCA from them, it will be pure copper.
And there is nothing unfortunate about a label not being stamped on the carton, i dont chase labels i chase quality. For performance, the cable's build quality is what matters. 28 or 26 gauge can be made flexible for bends without putting strain on the plug, it's the flexible cable jacket that will play a role in this.
And over 18 -20 ft., copper would cause issues, it'll still work but with the highest resolutions like 4k hdr, youl'll get constant drops or a blank screen. If you're pairing to a 4k projector and running in wall needing a length of 25,35 or 50 ft., copper is not an option, a fibre optic cable will work, the newer hybrid ones will work too. Technically, pure silvers would work too, but due to the enormous costs of having pure silver end to end at such big lengths, they dont get manufactured.

Just to let you know, some of the cables i have were bought even 'before' hdmi 2.0a became standardized. hdmi 2.0a was what introduced hdr support. i have 2 audioquest pearl hdmi cables (i got them relatively cheap in a christmas deal) from 2014, they work with 4k60 4:2:2 12 bit.
If you ask AQ about this premium certificate thing, their tech support tells you it's not needed. Because even their highest end cables to this date dont have any logo, however they still work.
You've missed the point. There are lots of cables that work just as good as AudioQuest for a lot less money. Some are certified and some are not. I don't chase labels either, but if the cable is well made with quality components, then it will have no problem passing ATC certification. So with the QR label, there is no doubt about the quality of build and components. That's not to say that cables that aren't certified won't work, most well made cables do. But you don't need to pay the ridiculous prices that AudioQuest cables charge, and of course their tech support is going to say certification is not needed

I use BJC (BlueJeansCable) Premium High Speed HDMI cables and they work just as well for auido/video as any AQ cable for a lot less.

post #21 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the same exact monoprice HDMI certified cables are less expensive at monoprice.com than at amazon.com. Unless you can get free shipping from amazon. Since I am not a Prime member and I only needed one 10-ft cable, monoprice.com was cheaper for me.
post #22 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
You've missed the point. There are lots of cables that work just as good as AudioQuest for a lot less money. Some are certified and some are not. I don't chase labels either, but if the cable is well made with quality components, then it will have no problem passing ATC certification. So with the QR label, there is no doubt about the quality of build and components. That's not to say that cables that aren't certified won't work, most well made cables do. But you don't need to pay the ridiculous prices that AudioQuest cables charge, and of course their tech support is going to say certification is not needed

I use BJC (BlueJeansCable) Premium High Speed HDMI cables and they work just as well for auido/video as any AQ cable for a lot less.
Ridiculous prices is your take , i look at it a different way. I can get an AQ 6 feet pearl for around 50 usd in us pricing terms far as the prices at my place go. Sure if you compare to a 10 usd cable, you could claim AQ is 5 times more expensive, but how i look at it is - if im spending on an oled and an av processor that together cost me over 5000 usd, then an hdmi interconnect to link them together that costs around 50 is just fine.

And all the 'cheap' brands you vouch for and mentioned above are not available to me, i could import them through amazon's global store but after duties and shipping, there would be no price advantage left on them. I do get some other cheap brands here that are comparable in pricing terms to your monoprice (dont carry any label though), but preferably i woud go for AQ over them.

Your mileage might vary on this, i have a dedicated room with an oled , av processor, discrete power amps that power a b&w 800 diamond series speaker setup, with that kind of spending 20k+ on my home theater setup, im certainly not complaining of a sub-100 usd cable being ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Question:
There is a difference between a "regular HDMI" and a "2.2 4K HDR blah blah blah", correct? Say...both are "certified" for sake of discussion.
I plugged in my Roku (yes, just cut the cord), it said picked out my "regular HDMI" cable could not support all the best wiz bang stuff. It could transmit 4K, but not the HDR or something like that...anyway, I got the second highest setting. All my gear is good enough for 4K.
So there is a difference right...and the monoprice link is a solid way to ensure you get the good enough cable, correct? The dang 3 footer was like $40 at Best Buy...these prices are better...these cables are good, right?
That said, I need to replace some of my 15 and 20 foot runs from "regular" to the better stuff, right?

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
post #24 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ridiculous prices is your take , i look at it a different way. I can get an AQ 6 feet pearl for around 50 usd in us pricing terms far as the prices at my place go. Sure if you compare to a 10 usd cable, you could claim AQ is 5 times more expensive, but how i look at it is - if im spending on an oled and an av processor that together cost me over 5000 usd, then an hdmi interconnect to link them together that costs around 50 is just fine.
I spent $18 on a 5' BlueJeans Premium High Speed HDMI cables that perform just as good as any AQ cable. If they are not available to you where you live then you have to get what you can. The point being as there is no difference, other than price, between BJC cables and AQ. Higher pricing does not necessarily mean higher quality.
beerhunt likes this.

post #25 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

'with that kind of spending 20k+ on my home theater setup' - it is a surprise you stick in a cheapo AQ cable, after all the higher cost AQ cables definitely 'sound' better

Joe
beerhunt likes this.

post #26 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Sure not higher quality if you mean better picture or audio, with digital interconnects that's not the case (video/audio is no different with a digital interconnect), analog interconnects are a different thing. but you can get more rugged build quality and better looks.
And that's your conviction that only a 10 or 18 usd cable is an 'affordable' one and that's fine, i dont share it. Remember when hdmi just came out in the early 2000s and how hdmi cables were very expensive back then, regardless of brand? They have come down in price a lot. I weigh the hdmi cable 'price' relative to the equipment im using and the total i spent on all the equipment and by that measure, i feel that a cable less than 100 usd is affordable. I would avoid 'exotic' hdmi cables that are priced like 400 usd or 800 usd and that is what would constitute ridiculous pricing to me. However, some of the lower AQ hdmi cables can be had for under 100 usd, i was just checking us prices on amazon, the AQ pearl in 1m. length can be had for around 33 usd and in 2m length for around 44 usd (so a 6+ ft. cable for less than 50 usd from AQ, dont see how that is 'ridiculous pricing')
post #27 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'with that kind of spending 20k+ on my home theater setup' - it is a surprise you stick in a cheapo AQ cable, after all the higher cost AQ cables definitely 'sound' better

Joe
Surely not if we're talking hdmi or toslink optical, no better sounding. If we're talking RCA interconnects or XLR interconnects that link the av processor to a power amp, then yes, and the primary reason for that is much better shielding ,on an AQ pair of red river rca's for example.
post #28 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Surely if you buy into the marketing you have to buy into it in full

Smooth!

'Solid Long-Grain Copper (LGC) allows a smoother and clearer sound than cables using regular OFHC (Oxygen-Free High-Conductivity) copper.'

And possibly the best bit:

'DIRECTIONALITY-HDMI
All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every AudioQuest audio cable. All signal conductors controlled for digital-audio direction in AudioQuest HDMI cables, and care is even taken to run the conductors used in the Audio Return Channel in the opposite direction to ensure the best performance for that application. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality.

Joe

post #29 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM

^Their PR marketing department can have their say, instead of paying attention to their talk i let their actual products do the talking in my home theater system and form an opinion. And i think their cables are good. With hdmi sure a cheaper cable 'gets the job done' but i bought a low priced hdmi cable, it was by some chinese company, that had its jacket near the end of one hdmi plug tear in less than 1 year of use, the jacket tore from the upper area and the tiny copper cables inside became exposed. This was due to the bend and the strain it was causing when hooking to the tv's side hdmi port. Now the audioquest pearl hdmi cable i have had for 5 years has withstood all the bends and never tore because the cable's jacket is superior, it's made from a thick material that is still flexible enough to bend.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 PM

<sigh> the bottom line is that one does not have to spend a lot of money (a relative term) to get a well built HDMI cable. The cable is just the data pipe. If you don't get sparkles, drop outs, etc then that's as good as it gets. The cable can not make reds any redder or greens any greener, regardless of what their marketing says. If the cable meets HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, as proven with certification, it can't get any better.

If you live in an area where purchasing certified cables is not possible, or too expensive due to tariffs or shipping ,then your options are limited and you have to purchase what you can. In the U.S., we have lots of options for HDMI cables and AudioQuest, like Monster, are cables that I would not recommend purchasing because the cost over here is not justifiable for what you get. It's all marketing b.s. You can purchase cables that are just as well built, reliable, and give the same performance for a lot less money. Your situation appears to a bit different.
beerhunt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page