HDMI cables which properly and reliably support 48 Gbps & HDMI 2.1 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #61 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
@TrendSetterX is overloading us with science here , but I don't think he is right. It's true for Cat-based solutions because cat cabling cannot support the raw 48Gb/s data rate (pre-compression) of HDMI 2.1 and they have to add their own compression.

Optical fiber doesn't have the same constraints, there should be no need to add a secondary level of compression.

Ruipro should not need to worry about the compression being performed by the HDMI chipsets in the HDMI 2.1 source, decoded by the HDMI 2.1 sink (say display or AVR).
Incorrect - the little computer at the source end of the RUIPRO still needs to understand what’s coming in in order to convert it to the optical-based signal.

Quote:
For comparison, it's similar to how all of the electronic equipment transporting the compressed video of YouTube, Netflix etc. and even zip files from computer to computer and server to TV, does not need to worry about that - it is all just data and making sense of it is done at the end points.
Actually you just proved my point. There are major apps (YouTube, for example) that use non-standard CODECS for UHD data and some major devices (AppleTv, for example, in terms of YouTube 4K) don’t understand that CODEC so they can’t/won’t display those formats.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Incorrect - the little computer at the source end of the RUIPRO still needs to understand what’s coming in in order to convert it to the optical-based signal.
I still don't think you are right .

I don't see any reason why the Ruipro needs to understand the data it's receiving in order to convert it to optical any more than a basic copper cable does. As long as it provides the same data out as it got in then it is only the HDMI chipset in the sink and source (e.g. Roku and TV or AVR and TV) that needs to understand that data. Remember we are only talking about the video data here, not the DDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Actually you just proved my point. There are major apps (YouTube, for example) that use non-standard CODECS for UHD data and some major devices (AppleTv, for example, in terms of YouTube 4K) don’t understand that CODEC so they can’t/won’t display those formats.
Sorry, that doesn't prove your point at all. Apple TV cannot support YouTube 4K because it is running the app at the end of the chain decoding the YouTube stream. None of the hardware between that app and YouTube's servers needs to understand that codec in order to transport it and that is the analogy here.

What I am clear about is your assumption based on Valun's predicament is invalid. Valun have a big challenge just enabling 48Gb/s over Cat cabling (even Cat 7 is rated up to only 10Gb/s, although in "lab conditions" it can go higher) and need to compress the data to achieve it. In trying to support the pre-compressed formats of HDMI 2.1. which actually require more than 48Gb/s when uncompressed, this becomes a REAL challenge. It is like trying to further compress a JPEG image or MP4 file. It's hard. You see this when you zip a load of JPEGs - the file size barely changes.

But I do accept that nothing is certain until real gear is around to test it. It's possible there is a got-ya here somewhere (I don't work for Ruipro!), just saying that Valun's problem and that of other copper/Cat-cable extenders does not really inform us about Hybrid Fiber, where the fiber has a transmission capacity far in excess of that required by HDMI 2.1.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.

Last edited by jong1; 07-04-2019 at 08:03 AM.
post #63 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I still don't think you are right .

I don't see any reason why the Ruipro needs to understand the data it's receiving in order to convert it to optical any more than a basic copper cable does. As long as it provides the same data out as it got in then it is only the HDMI chipset in the sink and source (e.g. Roku and TV or AVR and TV) that needs to understand that data. Remember we are only talking about the video data here, not the DDC.

Sorry, that doesn't prove your point at all. Apple TV cannot support YouTube 4K because it is running the app at the end of the chain decoding the YouTube stream. None of the hardware between that app and YouTube's servers needs to understand that codec in order to transport it and that is the analogy here.

What I am clear about is your assumption based on Valun's predicament is invalid. Valun have a big challenge just enabling 48Gb/s over Cat cabling (even Cat 7 is rated up to only 10Gb/s, although in "lab conditions" it can go higher) and need to compress the data to achieve it. In trying to support the pre-compressed formats of HDMI 2.1. which actually require more than 48Gb/s when uncompressed, this becomes a REAL challenge. It is like trying to further compress a JPEG image or MP4 file. It's hard. You see this when you zip a load of JPEGs - the file size barely changes.

But I do accept that nothing is certain until real gear is around to test it. It's possible there is a got-ya here somewhere (I don't work for Ruipro!), just saying that Valun's problem and that of other copper/Cat-cable extenders does not really inform us about Hybrid Fiber, where the fiber has a transmission capacity far in excess of that required by HDMI 2.1.
What does Valens Chipsets that are designed to work with COPPER Category Cable have to do with Fiber Optic cable?

https://www.valens.com/press-release...ssed-4k-60-444

I thought the reason to go to Fiber Optic cable (at an added expense) was to over come the limitations of passive Copper HDMI cables at longer distances.

Why does an Active Fiber Optic cable need to know what "type" of signal is coming out of your AVR HDMI port BUT a passive Copper HDMI cable does not?

Seems to me that somewhere clarification needs to be issued by the folks who wrote the dam HDMI standard as we are referencing RUIPRO but this discussion applies to all Fiber Optic HDMI producers and I guess Active Copper HDMI producers as well.

I would think that trying to stuff 48 GBPS down a Cat 6 or higher cable is a lot more difficult then sending 48 GBPS over a fiber optic cable.

Again this whole conversation is frustrating to hear and also that a Standard could be written without definitive test protocols in place when the standard was completed to confirm if the dam thing complies or not.

I served on technical committees related to building materials and was a manufacturer and it would be unheard of to produce a product standard WITHOUT the appropriate methods to test in order to confirm 100% compliance with the governing Standard.

I have no idea who is running the HDMI committee that governs these products but it is a complete joke!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Yes, you are making exactly my point.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.

Last edited by jong1; 07-07-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #65 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3785 Post(s)
Liked: 2699
One of the problems is that CTS testing protocols were finally ratified around the first of the year, long after the HDMI 2.1 hardware protocols were and the designs sent to the chip mfrs. Not good. ATC's like Simplay Labs were initially only taking on the connectors for CTS testing early in the year. The physical cables are just now being tested to meet those specifications. Fiber is being used for the new HDMI protocols and beyond simply because it just has a higher bandwidth capacity which is needed for the new standards. As has been mentioned, lab testing is much different than real world use. The reason is that there just aren't enough verified consumer devices to test this new crop of HDMI cables on, and lab testing equipment needs to be upgraded/designed as well. For those reasons I think it is just way too early to make blanket statements that hybrid fiber cables will not be able to pass compressed data. How well that is accomplished may be important to the "theoreticians" but not so much to the end-user. Copper cables alone will probably prove to not be reliable enough. The best bet going forward will more than likely be hybrid fiber cables.

The HDMI protocols are a bit vague on cable types, which doesn't help. They only state that the maximum length is 2m - 3m (6' - 9') for passive cables. Wire, passive, active, is allowable. But there is no specific mention of fiber or hybrid fiber. That's probably why there is big push by cable mfrs, not just Ruipro, to take advantage of both technologies to deliver reliable cable connections that can meet all of most of the demanding HDMI 2.1 specifications.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #66 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
One of the problems is that CTS testing protocols were finally ratified around the first of the year, long after the HDMI 2.1 hardware protocols were and the designs sent to the chip mfrs. Not good. ATC's like Simplay Labs were initially only taking on the connectors for CTS testing early in the year. The physical cables are just now being tested to meet those specifications. Fiber is being used for the new HDMI protocols and beyond simply because it just has a higher bandwidth capacity which is needed for the new standards. As has been mentioned, lab testing is much different than real world use. The reason is that there just aren't enough verified consumer devices to test this new crop of HDMI cables on, and lab testing equipment needs to be upgraded/designed as well. For those reasons I think it is just way too early to make blanket statements that hybrid fiber cables will not be able to pass compressed data. How well that is accomplished may be important to the "theoreticians" but not so much to the end-user. Copper cables alone will probably prove to not be reliable enough. The best bet going forward will more than likely be hybrid fiber cables.

The HDMI protocols are a bit vague on cable types, which doesn't help. They only state that the maximum length is 2m - 3m (6' - 9') for passive cables. Wire, passive, active, is allowable. But there is no specific mention of fiber or hybrid fiber. That's probably why there is big push by cable mfrs, not just Ruipro, to take advantage of both technologies to deliver reliable cable connections that can meet all of most of the demanding HDMI 2.1 specifications.
If the cables do not work in the future with "verified consumer devices" how do we know these devices are correct.

The reason you have a STANDARD in the first place is to ensure the interchangeability of the products that are governed by the STANDARD.

In the industry I worked in... first you would be laughed at ... then a lawsuit ... if you told customers that the product you buy might work... and might not work.. just buy it and hope for the best!

Either your product meets the STANDARD or it does not.... if you market your product that it meets the STANDARD when you know it does not meet the STANDARD that is fraud plain and simply.

If you do not have independent confirmation by a third party to show compliance then you need to wait to go to market.

When a TV, AVR, Projector, HDMI cable says it meets HDMI 2.1 then it should meet all the requirements of the document.
post #67 of 308 Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
If the cables do not work in the future with "verified consumer devices" how do we know these devices are correct.

The reason you have a STANDARD in the first place is to ensure the interchangeability of the products that are governed by the STANDARD.

In the industry I worked in... first you would be laughed at ... then a lawsuit ... if you told customers that the product you buy might work... and might not work.. just buy it and hope for the best!

Either your product meets the STANDARD or it does not.... if you market your product that it meets the STANDARD when you know it does not meet the STANDARD that is fraud plain and simply.

If you do not have independent confirmation by a third party to show compliance then you need to wait to go to market.

When a TV, AVR, Projector, HDMI cable says it meets HDMI 2.1 then it should meet all the requirements of the document.
Correct! And that has been the problem with HDMI almost since its inception. The hardware protocols are fine for the ever-evolving video standards. Its the connection technology that has always lagged behind and is where the problem lies. Just look at how cables have been and are being marketed now. To me it's a lot of false advertising and claims just to get folks who don't know any better (I fear the majority of consumers outside of AVS) to buy into overly expensive cables (Monster, AudioQuest comes to mind) when cables costing much less work just as well. However, as the newer video standards become more demanding and require that cables handle more and more, the "industry" should have put as much energy (R&D) into ensuring that the transport mechanism (cable) was ready to meet those demands when the new standards and devices were released. But device mfrs and cable mfrs have different end goals and the consumer is caught in the middle. That's the idea behind certification and something that HDMI et al should have demanded from day one. Any cable that is sold or marketed for a specific HDMI protocol set must be validated by a standardized set or procedures that is recognized by the industry and cable mfrs. That hasn't happened to the extent that it needs to be. It's expensive to do that and all the cable and device mfrs want to do is increase their bottom line as effectively and cheaply as is possible. The market is just flooded with cables, good ones, bad ones, cheap Chinese knock-offs and counterfeits all to the confusion, dismay, and anger of the consumer.

I think starting with HDMI 2.0 and maybe even HDMI 1.4 the cable industry started to pay attention to the anger and confusion of consumers. Too little too late in my opinion. HDMI.org even went as far as to ask that cable mfrs not to label their cables with the hardware specification and just use the Standard or High Speed designations. The "Premium" designation was a step in the right direction to separate certified cables from non-certified cables. They even setup "rules" for marketing in HDMI 2.1. However, none of that is enforceable and they left it up to the cable mfrs as to whether they would follow that or not, or how they would market their products.

HDMI.org should have also worked much closer with the device mfrs to ensure that if the device was marketed as "HDMI 2.0" that compatibility with different mfrs would not be an issue (CEC is a glaring example). However, in the case of CEC, they just left it up to the various device mfrs as to how they wanted to implement that protocol option. That in turn makes if difficult for the cable mfrs, not that they are above any blame. Certification then did not offer the consumer 100% compatibility as one would hope because of that.

My hope is that companies like Ruipro and other mfrs of copper, fiber, and hybrid fiber cables will work closer with HDMI and the device mfrs to ensure that their cables will in fact be able to meet the new hardware specifications. Ideally, they would list which of the HDMI specifications their devices and cables have been tested and certified for so the consumer would know exactly what they are getting and not just assume that an HDMI 2.0/2.1 device and cable met all of the specifications.

However, the horse has long left the barn and I fear we will continually be stuck with this mess that's called HDMI.
Mr.G likes this.

post #68 of 308 Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Ok. Let's put this particular discussion to rest about hybrid fiber cables, compression, etc.

Valens:
This company is for HDBaseT technology, not for Active optic cables. Their solution is for active extenders only. Absolutely different technology from hybrid fiber.

Extender VS. RUIPRO VS. Traditional Copper HDMI cable

HDBaseT Extenders use Cat5/6 cable for transmission. As we know Cat5/6 cable has 8 wires. Their technology needs to process/convert all data by their proprietary technology, then transport the data via 8 wires. That is very difficult to do reliably over long distances on copper wire alone.

HDMI defines 19+1 wires. So copper HDMI cables have 19+1 copper wires.

RUIPRO's structure is made of 4 optic wires and 8 copper wires. The 4 optic wires are used for high speed data instead of the traditional HDMI copper 1-12wires. RRUIPRO's 8 copper wires work for the low speed data of the traditional HDMI 13-19 and +1 line. What Ruipro does is just use fiber to transport the high speed data of the HDMI with 0 loss. Any signal, as long as the source and display can deal with it, will work just fine with the hybrid fiber cable.
Mr.G and dfa973 like this.

post #69 of 308 Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Ok. Let's put this particular discussion to rest about hybrid fiber cables, compression, etc.

Valens:
This company is for HDBaseT technology, not for Active optic cables. Their solution is for active extenders only. Absolutely different technology from hybrid fiber.

Extender VS. RUIPRO VS. Traditional Copper HDMI cable

HDBaseT Extenders use Cat5/6 cable for transmission. As we know Cat5/6 cable has 8 wires. Their technology needs to process/convert all data by their proprietary technology, then transport the data via 8 wires. That is very difficult to do reliably over long distances on copper wire alone.

HDMI defines 19+1 wires. So copper HDMI cables have 19+1 copper wires.

RUIPRO's structure is made of 4 optic wires and 8 copper wires. The 4 optic wires are used for high speed data instead of the traditional HDMI copper 1-12wires. RRUIPRO's 8 copper wires work for the low speed data of the traditional HDMI 13-19 and +1 line. What Ruipro does is just use fiber to transport the high speed data of the HDMI with 0 loss. Any signal, as long as the source and display can deal with it, will work just fine with the hybrid fiber cable.
I agree... I think HDBaseT is completely different.

Below are four ways to try and achieve the same goal.
CELERITY

HDMI 2.0 shown on their website

http://www.celeritytek.com/product-ufo.html

This solution with the newer HDMI 2.1 ends will give 48 GBPS

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****

RUIPRO

HDMI 2.0b shown on their website

https://www.ruipro.com/

This solution with the soon to be released HDMI 2.1 cables will give 48 GBPS

************************************************** ******************************
MONOPRICE – 4K HDMI over Fiber Optical cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24279

LC to LC Single Mode Simplex Fiber Optical Cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Fib...gateway&sr=8-2

This solution would give HDMI 2.0 and 18 GBPS... but with a future version of the Extender I am sure it would be 48 GBPS.

************************************************** ************************************************** **
ATLONA - 4K HDMI over Cat 6A cable

https://atlona.com/product/at-hdr-ex-70c-kit/

Cat 6A cable.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-359215-...l-1000ft-black

This solution would give HDMI 2.0 and 18 GBPS... but with a future version of the Extender they MAY get to 48 GBPS.
post #70 of 308 Old 07-06-2019, 05:12 PM

^^^^^ there will definitely be others in the HDMI 2.1 game besides Ruipro. Celerity had lots of issues with their cable designs. Mostly reliability and some failures. I think the best approach will still be with a hybrid fiber cable (from any mfr) that doesn't require an extra connector for power, or any type of external adapter.

post #71 of 308 Old 08-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Are any of these or ones announced at CES available? Would it be possible once they are to add links where to purchase? Thanks.

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.
post #72 of 308 Old 08-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathoosala View Post
Are any of these or ones announced at CES available? Would it be possible once they are to add links where to purchase? Thanks.
I don't know what was announced at CES. Usually they are just prototypes that aren't in production yet for consumer devices. The biggest issue is that there are still very little consumer devices available that have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets (either partially or fully compliant) to test for in real world scenarios. Independent testing is still on-going. The Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable works just fine now for HDMI 2.0b. Their Ruipro8k cables (which will be HDMI 2.1 compliant) should be released in the next couple of months.

post #73 of 308 Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I am installing a new media room and I am looking for an 25' HDMI cable that can do HDMI 2.1 48gbps for future proofing. I do have a conduit that I could replace it down the road but i would prefer to purchase something now that can support the higher bandwidth if possible. Is there anything available in the market right now that can support 25' and 48gbps?

thanks!
post #74 of 308 Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mors78 View Post
Hi all,
I am installing a new media room and I am looking for an 25' HDMI cable that can do HDMI 2.1 48gbps for future proofing. I do have a conduit that I could replace it down the road but i would prefer to purchase something now that can support the higher bandwidth if possible. Is there anything available in the market right now that can support 25' and 48gbps?

thanks!
Contact Ruipro

Email Thomas............... [email protected]

The will releasing HDMI 2.1 version very soon.

Good luck
post #75 of 308 Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Contact Ruipro

Email Thomas............... [email protected]

The will releasing HDMI 2.1 version very soon.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was something already out as I will be installing within the next 2 weeks. thanks
post #76 of 308 Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks!
Yes. Contact Ruipro. The ONLY way to future proof is to install conduit. Video standards will continue to get more demanding and the connection technology (cables) will continue to lag behind. With the use of a conduit, that makes changing cables so much easier and safer. It's also easy to control bend radius which can affect the signal continuity. Just install a conduit with a pull string and you're good to go for whatever comes down the road.

The Ruipro4k cables are currently being offered now and they work just fine for HDMI 2.0. They have a new cable coming out soon, the Ruipro8k, which is being tested now for HDMI 2.1 so you might want to ask them about its availability. Both cables are active cables so you won't see the certification QR label like you see on passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cables. HDMI.org doesn't allow for certifying active cables but the Ruipro cables are tested by an ATC, which is the official arm of the HDMI.org testing and validation program. As far as 48Gbps goes, it's still going to be awhile yet before HDMI 2.1 fully compliant devices are common in the market place, let alone source material that takes advantage of all that HDMI 2.1 has to offer. With the use of a conduit, you could install the 4k cable now and once you are ready for HDMI 2.1, swap it out for the 8k cable once it becomes available and the cost comes down a bit. Keep in mind that neither cable is cheap.

post #77 of 308 Old 08-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yes. Contact Ruipro. The ONLY way to future proof is to install conduit. Video standards will continue to get more demanding and the connection technology (cables) will continue to lag behind. With the use of a conduit, that makes changing cables so much easier and safer. It's also easy to control bend radius which can affect the signal continuity. Just install a conduit with a pull string and you're good to go for whatever comes down the road.

The Ruipro4k cables are currently being offered now and they work just fine for HDMI 2.0. They have a new cable coming out soon, the Ruipro8k, which is being tested now for HDMI 2.1 so you might want to ask them about its availability. Both cables are active cables so you won't see the certification QR label like you see on passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cables. HDMI.org doesn't allow for certifying active cables but the Ruipro cables are tested by an ATC, which is the official arm of the HDMI.org testing and validation program. As far as 48Gbps goes, it's still going to be awhile yet before HDMI 2.1 fully compliant devices are common in the market place, let alone source material that takes advantage of all that HDMI 2.1 has to offer. With the use of a conduit, you could install the 4k cable now and once you are ready for HDMI 2.1, swap it out for the 8k cable once it becomes available and the cost comes down a bit. Keep in mind that neither cable is cheap.
Thanks Otto. Like I mentioned, I do have a conduit and I could replace the cable when needed. Was just trying to avoid paying for 2 cables if I could pay for only 1 now, but it doesn't seem like it is an option with my timeframe.

thanks
post #78 of 308 Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Otto. Like I mentioned, I do have a conduit and I could replace the cable when needed. Was just trying to avoid paying for 2 cables if I could pay for only 1 now, but it doesn't seem like it is an option with my timeframe.

thanks
Ruipro is close to releasing their Ruipro8k which is being tested and evaluated for 8k, which basically covers HDMI 2.1. It will be expensive. Even when the cable is released, there still aren't any consumer devices available yet, let alone source material, that can take advantage of HDMI 2.1, so you have time. Given your short time frame, and the fact that their is nothing that takes advantage of HDMI 2.1, I'd just install the Ruipro4k cable and see how that goes. As long as you have a pull string installed in your conduit, you can just save your lunch money and get the 8k cable once it's released and folks start using it.
RichB and Postmoderndesign like this.

post #79 of 308 Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Lots to learn and test in 'real world' installations with RuiPro8K and other offerings - power is likely the main obstacle at present.

As Otto suggests if you install a RuiPro4K for now you have a tried and tested solution which is working in thousands of installations with all manner of current Source, Repeater and Display technology.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #80 of 308 Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hey guys, is this the RUIPRO Hybrid that's always suggested to use for a long run(10M)?

Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 50 feet Light Speed HDMI2.0b Cable, Supports 18.2 Gbps, ARC, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDCP2.2, 4:4:4, Ultra Slim and Flexible HDMI Optic Cable with Optic Technology 15m https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07287LTRZ..._J1KCDbTVS01WD

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #81 of 308 Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'Hey guys, is this the RUIPRO Hybrid that's always suggested to use for a long run(10M)?' - Yes, that is the current spec RuiPro4K cable.

Joe

post #82 of 308 Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Hey guys, is this the RUIPRO Hybrid that's always suggested to use for a long run(10M)?

Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 50 feet Light Speed HDMI2.0b Cable, Supports 18.2 Gbps, ARC, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDCP2.2, 4:4:4, Ultra Slim and Flexible HDMI Optic Cable with Optic Technology 15m https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07287LTRZ..._J1KCDbTVS01WD

Yes. Just make sure that you have enough space behind your equipment so that the cable can be inserted into the HDMI port without being right up next the wall. They do have an excellent bend radius but you don't want a sharp bend at the connector end.

post #83 of 308 Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys. The reason I asked, is because I'm having a weird problem with my setup. I have a new Epson 5050ub projector, Denon X3500h, Xfinity 4k box, and an Nvidia Shield. Whenever I play any HDR material on the Shield or Xfinity box, I immediately get sound, but the video doesn't come on until about 10 seconds later. When I connect the Shield directly to the Epson, the sound and video both come on immediately. I made sure everything is turned off on the Denon, as far as video processing, so I was thinking it was my 35' HDMI cable I was using. I tried moving my receiver close to the Epson, and connected a 6' certified cable to the Denon, then another certified cable to the Shield, and it still had the same issue. I'm really getting frustrated.

post #84 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt the cable length is your issue instead you are simply experiencing a fairly typical scenario where devices take a few secs to handshake and get themselves into the correct playback mode - the handover from Source to AVR then AVR to Projector will often have audio playback ahead of video playback (though all in sync once up and running).

Other than swapping out kit or one or other manufacturer creating a firmware update there is little you can do to alter the start up sequence - if you have a second cable run to the projector you could try inserting a powered 4K UHD with HDR capable HDMI Splitter between the Shield and the AVR and Projector.

Joe

post #85 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
I doubt the cable length is your issue instead you are simply experiencing a fairly typical scenario where devices take a few secs to handshake and get themselves into the correct playback mode - the handover from Source to AVR then AVR to Projector will often have audio playback ahead of video playback (though all in sync once up and running).

Other than swapping out kit or one or other manufacturer creating a firmware update there is little you can do to alter the start up sequence - if you have a second cable run to the projector you could try inserting a powered 4K UHD with HDR capable HDMI Splitter between the Shield and the AVR and Projector.

Joe
Thanks for the info Joe. I'm starting to think it's a Handshake issue with the projector, because when I had my Sony TV in the same setup, I didn't have the issue. That's why I'm so hell bent on trying to correct the issue. I'm used to it working like it did with the Sony. It doesn't sound like I can fix it though. I wish my Epson had ARC, then I could connect the Shield directly to the projector, and still get sound from my Denon. Why would it only happen with HDR content, and not regular 4k or 1080p?

Last edited by biglen; 09-07-2019 at 05:19 AM.
post #86 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Joe. I'm starting to think it's a Handshake issue with the projector, because when I had my Sony TV in the same setup, I didn't have the issue. That's why I'm so hell bent on trying to correct the issue. I'm used to it working like it did with the Sony. It doesn't sound like I can fix it though. I wish my Epson had ARC, then I could connect the Shield directly to the projector, and still get sound from my Denon. Why would it only happen with HDR content, and not regular 4k or 1080p?

Possibly because there is more information to initially process with HDR. I noticed that when I got my C8 that it took a little longer (about 5-6 seconds) when I first turned the system on to give me audio/video. After that, it was fine. I noticed this with using Premium High Speed Cables and Ruipro hybrid fiber cables. Even though the handshake "seemed" to be a bit faster with the hybrid fiber cables (probably my imagination). With the 1080 LCD tv downstairs, there's maybe a 2 second delay.

post #87 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Possibly because there is more information to initially process with HDR. I noticed that when I got my C8 that it took a little longer (about 5-6 seconds) when I first turned the system on to give me audio/video. After that, it was fine. I noticed this with using Premium High Speed Cables and Ruipro hybrid fiber cables. Even though the handshake "seemed" to be a bit faster with the hybrid fiber cables (probably my imagination). With the 1080 LCD tv downstairs, there's maybe a 2 second delay.
Yeah, with me, unfortunately it's never fine. There's always a delay with HDR, even after everything has been on for awhile.

post #88 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, with me, unfortunately it's never fine. There's always a delay with HDR, even after everything has been on for awhile.

Hmmm. I only see it at initial startup. After that, switching sources (ATV4k to Comcast cable and vice versa) the delay is only a couple of seconds, and this in on all brand new devices purchased late last year when I was turning the bonus room into our "theater room". Nothing is instant On, especially when switching sources, but I hardly even notice it at all anymore. Doesn't spoil the experience for me at all. I figure I've got 3-5 seconds to give for my system time to talk to itself and be ready for me. Wish there was a better answer for you.

post #89 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm. I only see it at initial startup. After that, switching sources (ATV4k to Comcast cable and vice versa) the delay is only a couple of seconds, and this in on all brand new devices purchased late last year when I was turning the bonus room into our "theater room". Nothing is instant On, especially when switching sources, but I hardly even notice it at all anymore. Doesn't spoil the experience for me at all. I figure I've got 3-5 seconds to give for my system time to talk to itself and be ready for me. Wish there was a better answer for you.
I don't have a problem when switching sources, it's when I play HDR content that I get audio, but no video for 10 seconds.

post #90 of 308 Old 09-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem when switching sources, it's when I play HDR content that I get audio, but no video for 10 seconds.

Don't know what to tell you then. I don't see any delay when I play HDR content (streaming or disk) once my system is connected. Are all of your HDMI connected devices on the same HDMI hardware versions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
48 gbps , 8k resolution , hdmi , hdmi 2.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page