AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/)
-   -   Slim HDMI cable? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/3072080-slim-hdmi-cable.html)

Danny Liberty 06-08-2019 12:16 AM

Slim HDMI cable?
 
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.

Otto Pylot 06-08-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Liberty (Post 58156396)
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.


Normally we'd say to just use Premium High Speed HDMI cables because your cable run is under 20'. However, depending on the diameter of the conduit, and if you want to run a number of cables, you might want to consider a 5m hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro). They are a bit expensive but are very thin with an excellent bend radius and are extremely reliable for 4k HDR. Ruipro also has very good customer service. The cables are active, so they can't be certified, (no active cable can, copper or hybrid fiber) but they are made extremely well and thoroughly tested by an ATC. Other than that, you could try one of the slim, active cables from Monoprice and see if that works for you.


Whatever you purchase, just lay it out on the floor first and test it to make sure it meets your needs before installation.


ARC can have issues regardless of the cable used (especially if you use CEC concurrently or don't have an option not to do so) so keep that in mind.

Danny Liberty 06-08-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto Pylot (Post 58157306)
Normally we'd say to just use Premium High Speed HDMI cables because your cable run is under 20'. However, depending on the diameter of the conduit, and if you want to run a number of cables, you might want to consider a 5m hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro). They are a bit expensive but are very thin with an excellent bend radius and are extremely reliable for 4k HDR. Ruipro also has very good customer service. The cables are active, so they can't be certified, (no active cable can, copper or hybrid fiber) but they are made extremely well and thoroughly tested by an ATC. Other than that, you could try one of the slim, active cables from Monoprice and see if that works for you.


Whatever you purchase, just lay it out on the floor first and test it to make sure it meets your needs before installation.


ARC can have issues regardless of the cable used (especially if you use CEC concurrently or don't have an option not to do so) so keep that in mind.

Thanks! I did look into the Ruipro. And yes they are super expensive :)
My main concern with them too is they're already dated too. HDMI 2.1 spec is out and it looks like they don't even support eARC?
I feel like a $100 cable should not be a compromise.

Otto Pylot 06-08-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Liberty (Post 58157716)
Thanks! I did look into the Ruipro. And yes they are super expensive :)
My main concern with them too is they're already dated too. HDMI 2.1 spec is out and it looks like they don't even support eARC?
I feel like a $100 cable should not be a compromise.

Don't worry about HDMI 2.1. Unless you're a gamer because there is little to offer at this point in time other than some smoke and mirrors. And unless all of your HDMI connected devices already support the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, whether it be full compliance or partial compliance, just go with what works best for you now. Copper based cables will probably not be able to support eARC due to their physical design and limitations. Hybrid fiber cables will be the way to go. At your distance of about 20', I would think that you won't have any issues with HDMI 2.0b. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology, that's why we recommend the use of a conduit so when it becomes time to swap your cables out for something that will fully support HDMI 2.1, 8k and beyond, you can. The cable is just the data pipe.

There are no HDMI cables that have been certified for fully compliant HDMI 2.1, yet. Some are definitely in the works but even when they are released, it's doubtful that they will come with a QR label for "Ultra High Speed HDMI cables" like the Premium High Speed HDMI cables do now because of the nature of the active design. Ruipro is close to releasing their 8k cables (which is basically the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications) but they will be expensive, as will any other mfr who sells a hybrid fiber cable to meet the HDMI 2.1 specifications.

So, for you, at this point in time, go with either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, an active High Speed HDMI cable, or move up to the hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro and thoroughly test what ever cable you get before installation. Keep your distances to a minimum without strain on the HDMI inputs, be mindful of bend radius, and maintain a single connection, source to sink.

Danny Liberty 06-08-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto Pylot (Post 58157842)
Don't worry about HDMI 2.1. Unless you're a gamer because there is little to offer at this point in time other than some smoke and mirrors. And unless all of your HDMI connected devices already support the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, whether it be full compliance or partial compliance, just go with what works best for you now. Copper based cables will probably not be able to support eARC due to their physical design and limitations. Hybrid fiber cables will be the way to go. At your distance of about 20', I would think that you won't have any issues with HDMI 2.0b. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology, that's why we recommend the use of a conduit so when it becomes time to swap your cables out for something that will fully support HDMI 2.1, 8k and beyond, you can. The cable is just the data pipe.

There are no HDMI cables that have been certified for fully compliant HDMI 2.1, yet. Some are definitely in the works but even when they are released, it's doubtful that they will come with a QR label for "Ultra High Speed HDMI cables" like the Premium High Speed HDMI cables do now because of the nature of the active design. Ruipro is close to releasing their 8k cables (which is basically the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications) but they will be expensive, as will any other mfr who sells a hybrid fiber cable to meet the HDMI 2.1 specifications.

So, for you, at this point in time, go with either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, an active High Speed HDMI cable, or move up to the hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro and thoroughly test what ever cable you get before installation. Keep your distances to a minimum without strain on the HDMI inputs, be mindful of bend radius, and maintain a single connection, source to sink.

Thanks! What are some recommended active High Speed HDMI cable?
Also just out of curiosity, why is the Ruipro called a "hybrid"? What's hybrid about it?

Otto Pylot 06-08-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Liberty (Post 58157864)
Thanks! What are some recommended active High Speed HDMI cable?
Also just out of curiosity, why is the Ruipro called a "hybrid"? What's hybrid about it?

Look to Monoprice, BlueJeansCable, MediaBridge for an active cable that meets your needs/price. It would be beneficial if the cable has the current Spectra 7 chipsets.

A hybrid fiber cable has a glass fiber core surrounded by solid copper wires, hence the hybrid term.

Joe Fernand 06-08-2019 03:12 PM

RuiPro4K - the current cables have been 'bench' tested and pass eARC, actual real world eARC testing is not easy at present as there is so little kit around.

Thin HDMI - the plugs are always the largest item to pass through a conduit not the cable stock.

Hybrid Fibre - as Otto says that means a Fibre core (carrying the video with embedded audio) plus copper strands carrying the EDID etc to save converting those signals (which can prove problematic with all Fibre solutions).

Joe

Danny Liberty 06-08-2019 04:28 PM

Thanks guys!
With most of the active cables, they are not actually thin, so I don't see any benefit of using those over the premium certified ones.
There is one Monoprice active cable that is thin but not using Spectra. I can't submit a link here but google "monoprice ultra slim active hdmi" it's the first result.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? Reviews are mixed.

Otto Pylot 06-08-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Liberty (Post 58158790)
Thanks guys!
With most of the active cables, they are not actually thin, so I don't see any benefit of using those over the premium certified ones.
There is one Monoprice active cable that is thin but not using Spectra. I can't submit a link here but google "monoprice ultra slim active hdmi" it's the first result.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? Reviews are mixed.


Because the cables are active (which means they derive power from the HDMI input), the copper wiring can be thinner and still achieve reliable results. If you don't want to spend the money on a hybrid fiber cable, then just purchase what fits your budget and see how it goes. If your run is truly 20' (giving the cables a bit of flex so as to not be straining the HDMI input) then probably any active cable will work if you want a thin cable because of the conduit space.


Joe is correct. The current Ruipro4k cable (the ones that I tested for short lengths) will work for eARC at a length that is within your requirements (5m - 15' and 10m - 30'). The cables have slim HDMI input ends which allow them to easily fit either horizontally or vertically into the HDMI input as well as making it easier for a cable pull thru a conduit. To expand a bit on what Joe said, the copper wiring in a hybrid cable handles ARC, HDCP, and EDID freeing up more bandwidth for video and other essentials on the fiber core.


Nobody is going to be able to tell you for sure which cable is going to work best for your setup and budget. All you can do is take our recommendations and shop around until you find a cable that will work. As mentioned, finding a reasonably priced cable to push 4k HDR is still trial and error. At least you'll have a conduit in place. Just test out the cables first and save your receipts ;)

Joe Fernand 06-09-2019 02:07 AM

Is your conduit run relatively simple or do you have any bends in it?

As before the cable stock is not normally an issue when pulling through a conduit, the HDMI hoods are always larger than the cable and once you add some from of sleeve or pull wrap (to the cable stock not the connectors) you end up with a fairly large, inflexible lump to pull.

With an all Fibre solution we find you typically experience longer switching times and are more prone to drop out or not working in some systems due to the 'comms' signalling (EDID, HDCP etc) having to be covered to optical and back again - the RuiPro Hybrid generally drop into a system and act like a conventional passive cable (just over much longer distances).

It is rare that we (TMF) would be pulling just a RuiPro cable - CAT6 normally goes in first, then attach the RuiPro to the CAT6 and use the CAT cable as the pull cord.

Joe

Dominic Chan 06-15-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Liberty (Post 58156396)
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.

I’m using this cable (25’) with ATV4K and JVC RS500 and it works perfectly. It’s slimmer than other cables I’ve tried.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.