Slim HDMI cable? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Slim HDMI cable?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.
Danny Liberty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,587
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.

Normally we'd say to just use Premium High Speed HDMI cables because your cable run is under 20'. However, depending on the diameter of the conduit, and if you want to run a number of cables, you might want to consider a 5m hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro). They are a bit expensive but are very thin with an excellent bend radius and are extremely reliable for 4k HDR. Ruipro also has very good customer service. The cables are active, so they can't be certified, (no active cable can, copper or hybrid fiber) but they are made extremely well and thoroughly tested by an ATC. Other than that, you could try one of the slim, active cables from Monoprice and see if that works for you.


Whatever you purchase, just lay it out on the floor first and test it to make sure it meets your needs before installation.


ARC can have issues regardless of the cable used (especially if you use CEC concurrently or don't have an option not to do so) so keep that in mind.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Normally we'd say to just use Premium High Speed HDMI cables because your cable run is under 20'. However, depending on the diameter of the conduit, and if you want to run a number of cables, you might want to consider a 5m hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro). They are a bit expensive but are very thin with an excellent bend radius and are extremely reliable for 4k HDR. Ruipro also has very good customer service. The cables are active, so they can't be certified, (no active cable can, copper or hybrid fiber) but they are made extremely well and thoroughly tested by an ATC. Other than that, you could try one of the slim, active cables from Monoprice and see if that works for you.


Whatever you purchase, just lay it out on the floor first and test it to make sure it meets your needs before installation.


ARC can have issues regardless of the cable used (especially if you use CEC concurrently or don't have an option not to do so) so keep that in mind.
Thanks! I did look into the Ruipro. And yes they are super expensive
My main concern with them too is they're already dated too. HDMI 2.1 spec is out and it looks like they don't even support eARC?
I feel like a $100 cable should not be a compromise.
Danny Liberty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,587
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Thanks! I did look into the Ruipro. And yes they are super expensive
My main concern with them too is they're already dated too. HDMI 2.1 spec is out and it looks like they don't even support eARC?
I feel like a $100 cable should not be a compromise.
Don't worry about HDMI 2.1. Unless you're a gamer because there is little to offer at this point in time other than some smoke and mirrors. And unless all of your HDMI connected devices already support the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, whether it be full compliance or partial compliance, just go with what works best for you now. Copper based cables will probably not be able to support eARC due to their physical design and limitations. Hybrid fiber cables will be the way to go. At your distance of about 20', I would think that you won't have any issues with HDMI 2.0b. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology, that's why we recommend the use of a conduit so when it becomes time to swap your cables out for something that will fully support HDMI 2.1, 8k and beyond, you can. The cable is just the data pipe.

There are no HDMI cables that have been certified for fully compliant HDMI 2.1, yet. Some are definitely in the works but even when they are released, it's doubtful that they will come with a QR label for "Ultra High Speed HDMI cables" like the Premium High Speed HDMI cables do now because of the nature of the active design. Ruipro is close to releasing their 8k cables (which is basically the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications) but they will be expensive, as will any other mfr who sells a hybrid fiber cable to meet the HDMI 2.1 specifications.

So, for you, at this point in time, go with either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, an active High Speed HDMI cable, or move up to the hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro and thoroughly test what ever cable you get before installation. Keep your distances to a minimum without strain on the HDMI inputs, be mindful of bend radius, and maintain a single connection, source to sink.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Don't worry about HDMI 2.1. Unless you're a gamer because there is little to offer at this point in time other than some smoke and mirrors. And unless all of your HDMI connected devices already support the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, whether it be full compliance or partial compliance, just go with what works best for you now. Copper based cables will probably not be able to support eARC due to their physical design and limitations. Hybrid fiber cables will be the way to go. At your distance of about 20', I would think that you won't have any issues with HDMI 2.0b. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology, that's why we recommend the use of a conduit so when it becomes time to swap your cables out for something that will fully support HDMI 2.1, 8k and beyond, you can. The cable is just the data pipe.

There are no HDMI cables that have been certified for fully compliant HDMI 2.1, yet. Some are definitely in the works but even when they are released, it's doubtful that they will come with a QR label for "Ultra High Speed HDMI cables" like the Premium High Speed HDMI cables do now because of the nature of the active design. Ruipro is close to releasing their 8k cables (which is basically the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications) but they will be expensive, as will any other mfr who sells a hybrid fiber cable to meet the HDMI 2.1 specifications.

So, for you, at this point in time, go with either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, an active High Speed HDMI cable, or move up to the hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro and thoroughly test what ever cable you get before installation. Keep your distances to a minimum without strain on the HDMI inputs, be mindful of bend radius, and maintain a single connection, source to sink.
Thanks! What are some recommended active High Speed HDMI cable?
Also just out of curiosity, why is the Ruipro called a "hybrid"? What's hybrid about it?
Danny Liberty is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,587
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Thanks! What are some recommended active High Speed HDMI cable?
Also just out of curiosity, why is the Ruipro called a "hybrid"? What's hybrid about it?
Look to Monoprice, BlueJeansCable, MediaBridge for an active cable that meets your needs/price. It would be beneficial if the cable has the current Spectra 7 chipsets.

A hybrid fiber cable has a glass fiber core surrounded by solid copper wires, hence the hybrid term.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 336
RuiPro4K - the current cables have been 'bench' tested and pass eARC, actual real world eARC testing is not easy at present as there is so little kit around.

Thin HDMI - the plugs are always the largest item to pass through a conduit not the cable stock.

Hybrid Fibre - as Otto says that means a Fibre core (carrying the video with embedded audio) plus copper strands carrying the EDID etc to save converting those signals (which can prove problematic with all Fibre solutions).

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys!
With most of the active cables, they are not actually thin, so I don't see any benefit of using those over the premium certified ones.
There is one Monoprice active cable that is thin but not using Spectra. I can't submit a link here but google "monoprice ultra slim active hdmi" it's the first result.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? Reviews are mixed.
Danny Liberty is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,587
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Thanks guys!
With most of the active cables, they are not actually thin, so I don't see any benefit of using those over the premium certified ones.
There is one Monoprice active cable that is thin but not using Spectra. I can't submit a link here but google "monoprice ultra slim active hdmi" it's the first result.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? Reviews are mixed.

Because the cables are active (which means they derive power from the HDMI input), the copper wiring can be thinner and still achieve reliable results. If you don't want to spend the money on a hybrid fiber cable, then just purchase what fits your budget and see how it goes. If your run is truly 20' (giving the cables a bit of flex so as to not be straining the HDMI input) then probably any active cable will work if you want a thin cable because of the conduit space.


Joe is correct. The current Ruipro4k cable (the ones that I tested for short lengths) will work for eARC at a length that is within your requirements (5m - 15' and 10m - 30'). The cables have slim HDMI input ends which allow them to easily fit either horizontally or vertically into the HDMI input as well as making it easier for a cable pull thru a conduit. To expand a bit on what Joe said, the copper wiring in a hybrid cable handles ARC, HDCP, and EDID freeing up more bandwidth for video and other essentials on the fiber core.


Nobody is going to be able to tell you for sure which cable is going to work best for your setup and budget. All you can do is take our recommendations and shop around until you find a cable that will work. As mentioned, finding a reasonably priced cable to push 4k HDR is still trial and error. At least you'll have a conduit in place. Just test out the cables first and save your receipts

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-09-2019, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Is your conduit run relatively simple or do you have any bends in it?

As before the cable stock is not normally an issue when pulling through a conduit, the HDMI hoods are always larger than the cable and once you add some from of sleeve or pull wrap (to the cable stock not the connectors) you end up with a fairly large, inflexible lump to pull.

With an all Fibre solution we find you typically experience longer switching times and are more prone to drop out or not working in some systems due to the 'comms' signalling (EDID, HDCP etc) having to be covered to optical and back again - the RuiPro Hybrid generally drop into a system and act like a conventional passive cable (just over much longer distances).

It is rare that we (TMF) would be pulling just a RuiPro cable - CAT6 normally goes in first, then attach the RuiPro to the CAT6 and use the CAT cable as the pull cord.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4486 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is there a reliable and slim HDMI cable at around 12feet? I need to run it through a conduit and those scary thick premium cables from Monoprice might have a hard time going through, especially if I need to run 2-3 of them.

Connecting a few devices to my Sony X850D 4K TV - Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield and a soundbar with ARC.
I’m using this cable (25’) with ATV4K and JVC RS500 and it works perfectly. It’s slimmer than other cables I’ve tried.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off