Amazon Prime Streaming Sound Drops Out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon Prime Streaming Sound Drops Out

Posted this on another thread, and got a reply recommending I post it here (along with this note: "The first paragraph indicates a HDCP/HDMI handshake problem. ARC can be dicey depending on components connected."). My original post:

Watched my first 4K streaming last night using the Amazon Prime App in my new Sony XBR 55X950G television. After a while the sound just would drop out. I'd turn everything off and the sound would come back, but then soon again the sound would drop out. Very frustrating!

I've done an internet search to see if there are any fixes, Apparently a common problem but I couldn't find a ready fix (might have something to do with the Dolby settings?).

My 950G is connected to an Onkyo TX-RZ630. Both new, All connected via Pro Certified HDMI cables. TV connection AVR thru ARC ports. My internet is blazing fast, fiber optic, so that's not the issue..

Love the 4K video image.

Anyone run into this issue and know a fix? Sony support deleted the Prime App and reinstall it, remotely. They also said I should update my firmware, even though the settings showed it as up to date. Apparently the network may take a week or two to recognize that there is a firmware update available. We tried updating via a firmware download using a thumb drive. But my Sony TV could not recognize the contents on the thumb drives I have, despite reformatting the drives with different formats (I am on a Mac, so this is clearly part of the issue). Haven't seen yet whether the app reinstall did the trick, and It may be some time before the firmware update shows up via the network.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buteobander View Post
Posted this on another thread, and got a reply recommending I post it here (along with this note: "The first paragraph indicates a HDCP/HDMI handshake problem. ARC can be dicey depending on components connected."). My original post:

Watched my first 4K streaming last night using the Amazon Prime App in my new Sony XBR 55X950G television. After a while the sound just would drop out. I'd turn everything off and the sound would come back, but then soon again the sound would drop out. Very frustrating!

I've done an internet search to see if there are any fixes, Apparently a common problem but I couldn't find a ready fix (might have something to do with the Dolby settings?).

My 950G is connected to an Onkyo TX-RZ630. Both new, All connected via Pro Certified HDMI cables. TV connection AVR thru ARC ports. My internet is blazing fast, fiber optic, so that's not the issue..

Love the 4K video image.

Anyone run into this issue and know a fix? Sony support deleted the Prime App and reinstall it, remotely. They also said I should update my firmware, even though the settings showed it as up to date. Apparently the network may take a week or two to recognize that there is a firmware update available. We tried updating via a firmware download using a thumb drive. But my Sony TV could not recognize the contents on the thumb drives I have, despite reformatting the drives with different formats (I am on a Mac, so this is clearly part of the issue). Haven't seen yet whether the app reinstall did the trick, and It may be some time before the firmware update shows up via the network.

Thanks.
How long is your cable run? If it is under 20’ then you should be using a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. It will come with a QR label for authenticity. Those cables are certified by a standardized testing program designed and implemented by HDMI.org.

Quite often ARC is associated with CEC, so the issue may be related to a CEC incompatibility, which is not uncommon.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

The cable is 8', 4K Ultra HD and HDR compatible, HDMI Premium Certified, 18 Gbps by Rocketfish. Here it is:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...?skuId=3720011

If it is the cable, then there is something seriously wrong with the advertising specs of it. Look at the photo of the box and you can see the HDMI Premium Certification logo. It supposed to be pretty darn high quality. Is it not? Do i need to return this pretty expensive cable and try another brand? If so what would you recommend?

Or could it be something else? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Buteobander; 06-15-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 PM

That is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable so the cable appears to be ok, and so does the length. You could try another Premium cable from someone else because Rocketfish prices their cables a bit higher. It’s always possible to get a bad cable. Are you using CEC as well because that could be the issue.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Try disabling ARC and use an Optical Digital Audio cable between the TV and the AVR - if you have the same issue then it is the source, if not you have an ARC issue and would be best to stick with the Optical Digital Audio cable.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Otto and Joe. I had to look up CEC after your first reply, Otto. Now I know what it is, and it is automatically enabled when I selected "yes" to ARC in the Onkyo avr initial setup. However, there are some options in the Onkyo hardware setup. If the problem persists, I will call Onkyo support to make sure the settings are correct (though they seem to be). I also looked in the manual for trouble shooting, and it recommends unplugging the HDMI cable and doing resets if the issue persists (same thing Sony support recommended). I'll see if I have to do that in the future. Joe, I will see if I have an optical cable around (I think I do) and try what you advise if the issue persists. May be a while before I get to it. Thanks for that tip.

One very simple (and kind of stupid) thing occurred to me. The fit into the cabinet is tight at the back of the avr, causing the HDMI cables to bend and perhaps putting some stress on them.

I wondered simply if this might contribute to the problem, and so I moved the avr a bit forward and tried to ease the bend on the cables. I'll see if this helps.

My wife suggested when we set up the avr that I cut a bigger rectangular window in the back of the cabinet (which is nothing fancy), rather than stressing the wires to go through the various holes I've drilled. The window would not be visible and make life a lot easier, and also ventilate the cabinet better. Simple... So sometime in the near future I will do that. I did search this forum for thoughts on the efficacy of elbows, and read both of your comments (o great gurus of connectivity) on elbows in another thread; so I will avoid those for now. Thanks again.

Last edited by Buteobander; 06-16-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Otto and Joe. I had to look up CEC after your first reply, Otto. Now I know what it is, and it is automatically enabled when I selected "yes" to ARC in the Onkyo avr initial setup. However, there are some options in the Onkyo hardware setup. If the problem persists, I will call Onkyo support to make sure the settings are correct (though they seem to be). I also looked in the manual for trouble shooting, and it recommends unplugging the HDMI cable and doing resets if the issue persists (same thing Sony support recommended). I'll see if I have to do that in the future. Joe, I will see if I have an optical cable around (I think I do) and try what you advise if the issue persists. May be a while before I get to it. Thanks for that tip.

One very simple (and kind of stupid) thing occurred to me. The fit into the cabinet is tight at the back of the avr, causing the HDMI cables to bend and perhaps putting some stress on them.

I wondered simply if this might contribute to the problem, and so I moved the avr a bit forward and tried to ease the bend on the cables. I'll see if this helps.

My wife suggested when we set up the avr that I cut a bigger rectangular window in the back of the cabinet (which is nothing fancy), rather than stressing the wires to go through the various holes I've drilled. The window would not be visible and make life a lot easier, and also ventilate the cabinet better. Simple... So sometime in the near future I will do that. I did search this forum for thoughts on the efficacy of elbows, and read both of your comments (o great gurus of connectivity) on elbows in another thread; so I will avoid those for now. Thanks again.
Yeah, you don’t want any stress on the HDMI input at all. That may not cause problems right away but it will eventually.

If it is related to CEC a reset won’t help because it’s the way the HDMI chipset was designed.

Yes, optical out from the tv to the avr will give you 5.1 audio from the tv which will take care of the loss of ARC and a programmable remote like a Harmony will take care of CEC.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Otto. That is interesting that a reset won't work with CEC. CEC is set to "On" on the Onkyo avr, and the other settings therefore default to: HDMI Standby Through > "Auto (Eco)" ... "Eco" meaning simply the unit saves power when in standby mode... could change simply to "Auto", but don't see how this would matter. And Audio Return Channel > "Auto".

The Sony support page references something called HDCP Lockup, of which one of the symptoms is "no sound". It recommends unplugging the HDMI cable and the resets.

Anyway, have not yet re-experienced the problem. Have watched some 4k videos via the TV You Tube app w/o the issue. I may try the Prime Video app again later today.

My theater system is 7.1. Would an optical out handle that? I guess that is really in the avr not from the TV (if this makes sense). Anyway, I like the simplicity of the single HDMI cable, and the way I've gotten the remotes to recognize each other and control multiple components. Pretty slick. So hoping the problem doesn't reoccur.

Thanks for all.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Otto. That is interesting that a reset won't work with CEC. CEC is set to "On" on the Onkyo avr, and the other settings therefore default to: HDMI Standby Through > "Auto (Eco)" ... "Eco" meaning simply the unit saves power when in standby mode... could change simply to "Auto", but don't see how this would matter. And Audio Return Channel > "Auto".

The Sony support page references something called HDCP Lockup, of which one of the symptoms is "no sound". It recommends unplugging the HDMI cable and the resets.

Anyway, have not yet re-experienced the problem. Have watched some 4k videos via the TV You Tube app w/o the issue. I may try the Prime Video app again later today.

My theater system is 7.1. Would an optical out handle that? I guess that is really in the avr not from the TV (if this makes sense). Anyway, I like the simplicity of the single HDMI cable, and the way I've gotten the remotes to recognize each other and control multiple components. Pretty slick. So hoping the problem doesn't reoccur.

Thanks for all.
One of the advantages of ARC is the elimination of the optical cable. If the tv can output DD+ via optical then 7.1 may be possible.

CEC is not standardized so the device mfrs are free to implement it however they choose to. Most support folks don’t know that and just blame it on the HDMI cable or the other connected device. You may have luck with the Sony recommendation so try that first.

I don’t use the internal apps on my C8 because I prefer to use the ATV4k for all of my streaming needs so my avr is the hub and all audio goes through that. ARC/CEC is disabled on all of my HDMI connected devices and I use a Harmony remote to control all of my devices and the HTS in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page