Help with video signal dropout - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with video signal dropout

I am confounded by a problem I am experiencing with my home theater setup. I have a Philips BDP7502/f7 4K blu ray player feeding into a Denon AVRX6300H receiver (via HDMI). The Denon feeds into a Vizio M75-E1 (via HDMI). All of this was purchased in early spring 2018.

At first everything was fine. However, after a few months, we started to have an issue where every so often while watching a movie, the TV will lose the picture for one or two seconds (on average maybe once every 20-30 minutes). The sound would still be transmitted by the AVR. I have noticed that sometimes when starting up the system and loading a movie (either a 4K or regular blu ray), the problem is really bad. Under such "bad" circumstances, the screen will black out for one or two seconds every ten seconds or so. Usually, turning the Blu Ray player off and back on again solves that particular problem but we still encounter the occasional loss of video signal during the movie.

Since the sound signal is never lost, I assume that the problem is related to HDCP and loss of handshake, but I haven't been able to figure out a solution or find a similar problem on any forum. I have made sure the firmware is up to date and have also tried swapping out the cable from the AVR to the TV without any effect. The HDMI cables I am using are advertised as being able to handle 4K/HDR, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions on other things to try to resolve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hurwitz View Post
The HDMI cables I am using are advertised as being able to handle 4K/HDR, etc.
Ben,

Are your cables "premium certified" (with the distinctive label)? If not, then replacing them would be appropriate.

Bob Pariseau has an explanation (including cable length issues).

https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/4/...-what-you-want

Carl
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I would first try swapping out HDMI cables one at a time to see if that fixes the issue. Next I would try going straight from the source to the TV, bypassing the receiver. Hopefully it is not an issue with the TV!

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
I would first try swapping out HDMI cables one at a time to see if that fixes the issue. Next I would try going straight from the source to the TV, bypassing the receiver. Hopefully it is not an issue with the TV!
I'd suggest going straight from player to the TV 1st. Then play the new cable(s) game.
cTwining likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ben,

A variation on ratman's theme:

The Quick Start Guide says your Philips blu-Ray player (like many 4K players) has two HDMI outputs. One is intended for video, and usually also audio. The other is intended only for audio, and is necessary with older AVRs that can't pass 4K video to a TV. (The audio-only HDMI might be covered by a sticker. That's just weird.)

Of course your Denon was designed for 4K. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to connect your blu-Ray player with two separate HDMI cables: one to the AVR and one to the TV.

http://objects.icecat.biz/objects/mm..._6295_6265.pdf

Carl
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 304
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...ections%2C-hdr

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I have the same problem. The video drop outs always come in pairs. First one drop out and then about 15 seconds later a second. Audio remains but for a very short glitch right after the video returns. This set up has worked for several years. The problem only started a couple of months ago.

My video path is direct from a satellite box to the TV but it passes through a powered HDMI splitter (edited from switch) first. The drop outs only occur with the first TV which is in the first HDMI output of the switch. This port is used to copy EDID info to the other ports. 1080P or less, no 4K.

In post 2 by @cTwining Bob Pariseau recommends 6 ft HDMI cables, not longer and not shorter for best performance. But I need two lengths of HDMI cables. A 6 ft cable would fit from the switch to the TV but what should I use from the DirecTV box to the switch? Should I use another six ft cable? Does the switch use its power to repeat the signal? Or is the total length considered one length and I should use the shortest cable possible between the box and the switch?

Quote:
I am confounded by a problem I am experiencing with my home theater setup. I have a Philips BDP7502/f7 4K blu ray player feeding into a Denon AVRX6300H receiver (via HDMI). The Denon feeds into a Vizio M75-E1 (via HDMI). All of this was purchased in early spring 2018.

At first everything was fine. However, after a few months, we started to have an issue where every so often while watching a movie, the TV will lose the picture for one or two seconds (on average maybe once every 20-30 minutes). The sound would still be transmitted by the AVR. I have noticed that sometimes when starting up the system and loading a movie (either a 4K or regular blu ray), the problem is really bad. Under such "bad" circumstances, the screen will black out for one or two seconds every ten seconds or so. Usually, turning the Blu Ray player off and back on again solves that particular problem but we still encounter the occasional loss of video signal during the movie.

Since the sound signal is never lost, I assume that the problem is related to HDCP and loss of handshake, but I haven't been able to figure out a solution or find a similar problem on any forum. I have made sure the firmware is up to date and have also tried swapping out the cable from the AVR to the TV without any effect. The HDMI cables I am using are advertised as being able to handle 4K/HDR, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions on other things to try to resolve the problem.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005

Last edited by zeuspaul; 06-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
I’ve used 10’ active cables for 1080 (before I knew any better ), 10’, 5’, and 4’ Premium High Speed HDMI cables for 4K HDR, and 5’ hybrid fiber cables (for testing purposes) also for 4K HDR and never had any audio or video issues. Keeping your cable length as short as is reasonable is always a good practice but sticking to the “6’ rule” is not that critical in my experience. The total cable length is considered source to sink. So a cable run of 10’ from source to avr (sink), and then another 10’ from avr (source) to sink (tv), would be two 10’ runs, not a 20’ run. Be mindful of bend radius because you don’t want to strain the HDMI input. Switches, adapters, wall plates, etc. can also affect a cable connection.
zeuspaul likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everybody for the input. I did not know about the "Premium Certified" designation for cables. I don't think the cables I have been using have such certification. I ordered some just now and will swap them into the system to see if that fixes the problems I am having. I will report back. If the problems are not solved by the cable swap, then I will try some of the other suggestions, such as hooking directly from the 4K blu ray player to the TV.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
Quote:
Thanks everybody for the input. I did not know about the "Premium Certified" designation for cables. I don't think the cables I have been using have such certification. I ordered some just now and will swap them into the system to see if that fixes the problems I am having. I will report back. If the problems are not solved by the cable swap, then I will try some of the other suggestions, such as hooking directly from the 4K blu ray player to the TV.
Keep in mind that no cable mfr can offer you a 100% guarantee that their cable will work in every setup. There are other factors involved in a successful cable run other than the data pipe (cable). certification is only good to 25’ and only with a passive cable.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I solved my problem. Thinking back this video drop out problem on my 1080p TV started when I upgraded the second 1080p TV to 4k. The HDMI splitter has 16 options controlled by 4 DIP switches on the front of the box. I had it set to Copy EDID from HDMI out 1 which is some kind of auto mode. I changed it to 1080p, DOLBY, DTS 5.1 and I haven't had a drop out in 3 days. This is the highest resolution compatible with both TVs. I believe DirecTV satellite is 1080i, 5.1 or less so I am not losing anything. From time to time the box must have paused for a couple of seconds checking out the 2 different TVs with their different resolutions. Perhaps this was in response to an HDCP request from the provider or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I have the same problem. The video drop outs always come in pairs. First one drop out and then about 15 seconds later a second. Audio remains but for a very short glitch right after the video returns. This set up has worked for several years. The problem only started a couple of months ago.

My video path is direct from a satellite box to the TV but it passes through a powered HDMI splitter (edited from switch) first. The drop outs only occur with the first TV which is in the first HDMI output of the switch. This port is used to copy EDID info to the other ports. 1080P or less, no 4K.

In post 2 by @cTwining Bob Pariseau recommends 6 ft HDMI cables, not longer and not shorter for best performance. But I need two lengths of HDMI cables. A 6 ft cable would fit from the switch to the TV but what should I use from the DirecTV box to the switch? Should I use another six ft cable? Does the switch use its power to repeat the signal? Or is the total length considered one length and I should use the shortest cable possible between the box and the switch?

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page