Tie HDMI and Speaker Cables Together? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Tie HDMI and Speaker Cables Together?

I have a long run of an hdmi cable from the front to the back of my media room (about 30 feet). It runs from a blurau player to my projector (the cable is redmere). I also have speaker cable (3 sets) running along side the hdmi. Can I tie all 4 together (hdmi plus 3 sets of speaker wires) without signal interference)?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Long HDMI cables - have a nasty habit of failing, being broken, being temperamental or becoming obsolete, I would not tie it to any other cable and where possible ensure it is 'free' and simple to replace, I would also one or two run a solid core, non-CCA, CAT6 cable as an optional backup.

Joe
Ben Tan likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 506
HDMI cables are the cables that are most often replaced, why would you tie them to anything?

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4652 Post(s)
Liked: 2946
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post
I have a long run of an hdmi cable from the front to the back of my media room (about 30 feet). It runs from a blurau player to my projector (the cable is redmere). I also have speaker cable (3 sets) running along side the hdmi. Can I tie all 4 together (hdmi plus 3 sets of speaker wires) without signal interference)?

John
But to answer your question, since no one else did and instead told you not to do it, yes you can without interference.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:

John

Yes you can. It would be analogous to running your cables in a conduit (but not physically tied together), which at 30', you should be doing anyway. Redmere is the older, active cable technology so chances are you'll be swapping that cable out first to either upgrade or replace. Not physically tied together makes that process a lot easier.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yes you can. It would be analogous to running your cables in a conduit (but not physically tied together), which at 30', you should be doing anyway. Redmere is the older, active cable technology so chances are you'll be swapping that cable out first to either upgrade or replace. Not physically tied together makes that process a lot easier.
Actually I plan to run the cables through a conduit. The main reason is my wife does not like the look of bare cables running all over the place. She has been pretty supportive to my spending thousands of dollars for an overhead projector (Sony 40ES), and a 7.2 sound system (Outlaw amp with a Marantz pre-amp and 2 SVS subwoofers) so I listen to her to try to make the cabling more attractive.

What's a good upgrade to the redmere which has worked well over the last several years (it is actually 35 foot).

John
post #7 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
What's a good upgrade to the redmere which has worked well over the last several years (it is actually 35 foot).

John
If you go with an active cable, look for one that has the latest Spectra 7 chipsets because Redmere is now Spectra (or something like that). However, at 35', and if you're gonna push 4k HDR I'd recommend a hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro. The are active cables but very flexible, made well, have slim connectors so they fit well either horizontally or vertically, and are tested by an ATC to meet HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications. But, being as they are an active cable, they can't get the High Speed HDMI cable certification because HDMI.org does not allow for active cables to get the certification (QR label).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 336
'Actually I plan to run the cables through a conduit' - if you can run multi-compartment or two separate conduit I would do so. As markmon1 says 'technically' there is no issue with Loudspeaker and HDMI running in the same cable way - the issue is all about how easy it would be to replace a failed, damaged or obsolete HDMI cable.

Our RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre HDMI cables will deliver everything you can currently send over HDMI.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page