Kordz PRS-HD1250 HDMI cable run from 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kordz PRS-HD1250 HDMI cable run from 2016

Hi,

Currently using a 12.5 metre Kordz PRS-HD1250 HDMI cable in the home theatre, details here:

https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/product/kordz-prs-hdmi-cable-12-5m/

Just wondering if this cable will work with modern projectors such as the Epson EH-TW8400?:

https://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW8400.asp

Cheers,
Zolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked: 2454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Hi,

Currently using a 12.5 metre Kordz PRS-HD1250 HDMI cable in the home theatre, details here:

https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/pro...i-cable-12-5m/

Just wondering if this cable will work with modern projectors such as the Epson EH-TW8400?:

https://www.epson.com.au/products/pr.../EH-TW8400.asp

Cheers,
Zolt
That's an active cable that uses the Redmere chipsets, which are the older version of active chips. Redmere was an early investor in Spectra which eventually absorbed Redmere. The newest active chipsets are the Spectra 7 HT8181. The cable you linked to is fairly thick so bend radius and strain on the HDMI input would be a consideration. I think that cable was rated at 10.2Gbps. 18Gbps is what is needed now.

If your goal is to push 4k HDR at about 40', a hybrid fiber cable would be your best bet (Ruipro4k) going forward. The cable you reference is rated at 10.2Gbps. What is recommended and needed now is 18Gbps.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-18-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:
Hi,

https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/pro...i-cable-12-5m/

https://www.epson.com.au/products/pr.../EH-TW8400.asp

Cheers,
Zolt
To add to Otto's comment, the new Epson EH-TW8400 sports the 18.2 Gbps chipset whereas the previous generation of Epson 4K projectors were 10.2 Gbps. At 12.5m you should definitely consider the Ruipro Fiber Optic Hybrid HDMI cable.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 342
As above it is not the Projector which is the potential issue it is the Source device/signal format you are trying to push over the cable - if your Source devices/signal format is not changing then the cable should work fine, if however you are moving to 4K UHD with HDR Source/signal you will hit a problem.

Keith at EZYHD in Aus looks after the RuiPro4K and RuiPro8K cable range.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Definitely looking to push 4k HDR content to the projector. Is it definitely the case that it won't work over that cable? Or is it worth trying it first before investing another cable that might not be required?

I often read other threads that say HDMI cables might be rated at a certain spec, but that doesn't mean they can't perform in excess of that spec?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Definitely looking to push 4k HDR content to the projector. Is it definitely the case that it won't work over that cable? Or is it worth trying it first before investing another cable that might not be required?

I often read other threads that say HDMI cables might be rated at a certain spec, but that doesn't mean they can't perform in excess of that spec?
Just try it with your existing cable then and see what happens. I wouldn't give too much credence for expecting a cable to work beyond spec. Your best bet is to get a cable that you know meets the current HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications. For you, pushing 4k HDR at the length you need just about requires a hybrid fiber cable. There really isn't a reliable way around it.
Ratman likes this.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ah no worries. Replacing the cable is a bit of a mission, the theatre room is on the ground level of a two story house, so no easy roof access. I did take this into account when it was first cabled, and for future proofing I had two runs of cat6 done as well, thinking I could use HDMI over ethernet if I needed.

Is there a HDMI over ethernet option that supports all the current standards? 18gbps, 4k, HDR, etc?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Ah no worries. Replacing the cable is a bit of a mission, the theatre room is on the ground level of a two story house, so no easy roof access. I did take this into account when it was first cabled, and for future proofing I had two runs of cat6 done as well, thinking I could use HDMI over ethernet if I needed.

Is there a HDMI over ethernet option that supports all the current standards? 18gbps, 4k, HDR, etc?
HDBT is another option but reliability is best achieved with solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCA and not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable). Solid core CAT-6 cabling is not terminated, 23AWG, and usually sold in spools starting at about 25'. The new chipsets for HDBT should be available soon so if that's something you're thinking about for now you'll have to wait. Installing conduit is truly the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because the connection technology will always lag behind the video technology so upgrading/replacing your cables is almost guaranteed probably sooner than later.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I'd be better of buying the older EH-TW8300 model - https://www.epson.com.au/products/pr.../EH-TW8300.asp

I think it is only 10.2gbps, but maybe it would be a big downgrade? Half the price though.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:
Maybe I'd be better of buying the older EH-TW8300 model - https://www.epson.com.au/products/pr.../EH-TW8300.asp

I think it is only 10.2gbps, but maybe it would be a big downgrade? Half the price though.
The TW8300 is the same projector as the Epson 5040UB. Your question is best addressed in the Epson 5040UB forum:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...rs-thread.html

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page