4K vs Audioquest "Hight SPeed with Internet"HDMI cable question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
4K vs Audioquest "Hight SPeed with Internet"HDMI cable question

So the intent of what's below is not misinterpretted, I'm not looking for "percieved differences" or to start a cable debate. I am only interested in whether anyone has successfully gotten full band 4K from these older (supposedly higher quality) cables that lack the hologram - I believe because that indicia may not have existed at the time they were made.

While I may be accused of drinking the Kool Aid - the cables in question are Audioquest Chocolate. Several years ago my wife and I blind tested each other and were consistent in choosing the AQ Chocolate over other cables including lower tier Audioquest. We tested 3 other cables and saw no difference but the Chocolate appeared to yield benefits. Viewing the Olympics Speed skating and Hockey the Audioquest showed more/better detail in the ice surface scratches as if the other cables were allowing the whites to be blown out. I needed more cables anyway, got a good deal on several new in box Audioquest Chocolates on ebay and an AQ Vodka (that I guess I can mix with my Kool-Aid

That's enough of my "why I bought brand name cables therapy". Now as I don my fireproof suit (believe me - it flies in the face of everything I believe about HDMI cables as well) I want to ask if anyone has used older Audioquest HDMI cables with success with 4K players so in case I snap one day and pick up a 4k player I know if I need to buy cables as well or have a chance of success with my current cables. I'm trying to hold off for next gen in hope bugs & idiosyncrasies are worked out but don't trust myself so....

Relevant specs on the packaging of both cables are:
Front cover: HDMI High Speed with Ethernet
Back cover: "High Speed" HDMI cable will in addition, transfer 1080p/120Hz, 4k 3D video

I don't know if this is 4:2:0 - 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 and this may be the fly in the ointment. Just wondering if anyone has successfully used older "High Speed with Internet" Audioquest Chocolate or Vodka cables with success at 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.

FWIW Video will go directly to a Sony XBR 930E with audio fed to the proc via the audio only output. Cable length will be 2 meters.

Any shared experience is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 2394
At 2m (6') with a direct connection (source to sink) you really only need a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label). Those cables have been tested and certified by HDMI.org to meet all HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications. Period. Cables with ethernet mean nothing because there aren't any consumer devices that ever took advantage of that options. Ethernet will only become relevant once eARC (part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware option set) is commonplace on consumer devices. eARC will use that ethernet channel for audio.

Certification is not a 100% guarantee that the cable will perform as expected but is more of a guarantee that the cable in question has at least gone thru a standardized testing and certification program in addition to just listing which HDMI 2.0 options the cable "should" work with. A lot of cable companies just regurgitate the HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications in a carefully worded product description. Companies like AudioQuest and Monster overcharge for their cables when other cables (Premium for example) can be purchased from various mfrs at a lot less with the same performance. Digital is digital.

HDMI chipset versions at source/sink, installation (bend radius, HDMI input stress, etc) also play a major role in a successful cable run. Extenders, wall plates, adapters, etc can also affect the signal path. This is especially true for 4k HDR because the connection demands are much more stringent that 1080i/p.

At 6' a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k), which is what is recommended for runs over 20', is an overkill. However, once HDMI 2.1 is out in the wild, 6' is close to the maximum cable length as defined by HDMI.org for a passive cable and HDMI 2.1 so an active cable like a hybrid fiber may be needed. Your run is so short that it should be easy to upgrade or swap out your cable if needed. I'm assuming this is not a short, in-wall, cable run.

Bottom line, just try a passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cable or a cable that hasn't been certified. You don't have to spend a lot of money, especially at 6'.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I want to ask if anyone has used older Audioquest HDMI cables with success with 4K players so in case I snap one day and pick up a 4k player I know if I need to buy cables as well or have a chance of success with my current cables.

I don't know if this is 4:2:0 - 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 and this may be the fly in the ointment. Just wondering if anyone has successfully used older "High Speed with Internet" Audioquest Chocolate or Vodka cables with success at 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.
Can't provide "experience" with AQ cables.
I will provide advice. When you get a 4K player, try your existing cables. If they work and meet your expectations, enjoy.
If not, buy a new HDMI cable.
JediMindTrick likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Otto & Ratman

I appreciate the feedback. Might get to test it today. Just got a little cash as an anniversary gift between this mornings posts. That and work being a little slow today might push me over the edge.

I won't be going HDMI 2.1 for a while if I can help it as none of my current gear supports it. I have no other upgrades in mind as I like my width speakers and Atmos would require serious work - or more than I want to do installing on the first floor of a 2 story house. It's a direct 2 meter run from the player in a cabinet to the display nothing in wall or between the 2 devices. I'll try my existing cables and if they fail consider what's been recommended or Blue Jeans or Monoprice as they both have a solid rep on this forum.

Last edited by Artzilla; 08-14-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I appreciate the feedback. Might get to test it today. Just got a little cash as an anniversary gift between this mornings posts. That and work being a little slow today might push me over the edge.

I won't be going HDMI 2.1 for a while if I can help it as none of my current gear supports it. I have no other upgrades in mind as I like my width speakers and Atmos would require serious work - or more than I want to do installing on the first floor of a 2 story house. It's a direct 2 meter run from the player in a cabinet to the display nothing in wall or between the 2 devices. I'll try my existing cables and if they fail consider what's been recommended or Blue Jeans or Monoprice as they both have a solid rep on this forum.
I've used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables (6') in the past and they perform as expected. They even perform as well as the Rupro4k hybrid fiber cables at the same length. Can't go wrong with BJC or Monoprice for passive, Premium cables if you need them.
giomania likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The best picture settings I've every experienced was when using HDMI cables that were 27Gbps and also 48Gbps speed capable.

Both of these speeds performed noticeably better than the usual 18Gbps Certified HDMI 2.0 HDMI cables I'd purchased before.

The picture settings I got with the 18Gbps, the 27Gbps and the more expensive 48Gbps cables were as follows:

18Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR10 4:2:0 Chroma.
27Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR12 4:4:2 Chroma.
48Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR12 4:4:2 Chroma.

Yes both the 27Gbps and also the 48Gbps HDMI cables performed the same!

Will have to wait until I can afford a HDMI 2.1 ported TV before I can test this any further, because it's obviously the older spec v2.0 HDMI port in my current TV which is causing this result.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_4K_60Hz View Post
The best picture settings I've every experienced was when using HDMI cables that were 27Gbps and also 48Gbps speed capable.

Both of these speeds performed noticeably better than the usual 18Gbps Certified HDMI 2.0 HDMI cables I'd purchased before.

The picture settings I got with the 18Gbps, the 27Gbps and the more expensive 48Gbps cables were as follows:

18Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR10 4:2:0 Chroma.
27Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR12 4:4:2 Chroma.
48Gbps: 4K 60Hz HDR12 4:4:2 Chroma.

Yes both the 27Gbps and also the 48Gbps HDMI cables performed the same!

Will have to wait until I can afford a HDMI 2.1 ported TV before I can test this any further, because it's obviously the older spec v2.0 HDMI port in my current TV which is causing this result.
27Gbps cable is all marketing b.s. There is no way to confirm the mfrs claims. 48Gbps is the next approved step up in bandwidth from 18Gbps but there aren't any cables that have been verified yet for reliable 48Gbps bandwidth so I don't see what your point is.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
… so I don't see what your point is.
Links to his website will soon appear!

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Links to his website will soon appear!
I was thinking the same thing. An AudioQuest employee or a reseller maybe?

post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Or... just a paid spammer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page