HDMI Cable for 50' Run - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HDMI Cable for 50' Run

I recently purchased a Epson 5040UB projector and I am now looking at HDMI cables. In the short term, I will need a cable that's approx. 26' long. In the long run I'd like to have an AV rack that's out of view that would require a 40'/50' cable. My questions is, would one of the following cables work for passing 4k, HDR, 4:4:4 to my projector? Are there better options?

Monoprice Luxe Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-HDMI-Speed-Active-Cable/dp/B0186DNFLI
Monoprice HOSS Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-114471-Active-Speed-18Gbps/dp/B019FN6II0/
(Sorry I can't post working links yet)

I could try to get away with a 40' cable but that wouldnt leave much wiggle room. The Monoprice website stated that a 50' cable from the Luxe series wouldnt work, but I have no idea if a 40' cable would.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to the home theater thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Look for HDMI cables with Redmere Technology. The Monoprice cables come up in the search, so may have Redmere, especially considering they're active.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply kjfalls. I found some Amazon basic cables with Redmere which had good reviews until I found someone with a 50' cable and they stated they werent able to get 4k/60Hz or HDR. I think the Epson 5040 will only do 4k/30Hz but I'd really like the HDR to work.

Anyone have any recommendations or a long cable they use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuvassin View Post
Thank you for the reply kjfalls. I found some Amazon basic cables with Redmere which had good reviews until I found someone with a 50' cable and they stated they werent able to get 4k/60Hz or HDR. I think the Epson 5040 will only do 4k/30Hz but I'd really like the HDR to work.

Anyone have any recommendations or a long cable they use?
Redmere technology is the old active chipest technology. They have since been acquired by Spectra so what you are looking for are active, copper-only cables with the latest Spectra 7 HT8181 chipsets. However, for 4k HDR at lengths longer than about 25', hybrid fiber cables (Ruipro4k) is what you should be considering, especially for 4k HDR. The design and technology of hybrid fiber is far better than just a solid copper cable alone.

Whichever cable you choose, the use of a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit is an absolute must if you don't have easy access to your cable run. Connection technology will always lag behind video technology so you need to have your cable run installed in a manner that makes upgrading your cable easier and safer.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Otto. I installed a 3" conduit tube when finishing the basement so changing out the cable shouldn't ever be an issue.

Thanks for the info on Ruipro4k, the first one I found on Amazon is roughly $160 for ~50ft which is a little more than I was hoping to spend. But I suppose if you spend all this money on a projector you have to get the tools to get the full experience.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuvassin View Post
Thanks Otto. I installed a 3" conduit tube when finishing the basement so changing out the cable shouldn't ever be an issue.

Thanks for the info on Ruipro4k, the first one I found on Amazon is roughly $160 for ~50ft which is a little more than I was hoping to spend. But I suppose if you spend all this money on a projector you have to get the tools to get the full experience.
Excellent. Yeah, the Ruipro cables are expensive, and they will have a newer one, the Ruipro8k, released soon. We recommend Ruipro cables because that is the brand that gets the most favorable responses from actual AVS users. You might want to throw in some solid core CAT-6 cable (not CCA and not CAT-6 etherent patch cable) in your conduit for possible future use. I use solid core to extend my ethernet connection so I can hardwire my HTS's. You could also terminate it with HDBT (once the new chipsets are ready) to extend an HDMI connection as well. Don't forget the pull string!

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page