1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDbaseT Cat7? Help!!!

Years ago I worked in Magnolia. We used HDbaseT to do home theater projector set ups.

I just built a room onto my house just for a HT. Ran my wires but they are hung in the wall in some way shape or form... (Silly mistake).

I ran a 30 foot HDMI and a 30 foot cat7 cable. I am 3 inches to short than I need to be for my UHD60 and the screen is set really cant bring it up any higher. This is all very aggravating. I have tried female to female HDMI couplers but they wont pass a 4k signal. I am guessing there is a bandwidth drop off or something.... Audio tries to come through but drops out every few seconds. Display just says searching....

So before putting holes in my drywall what does anyone know about HDbaseT or devices similar. When I was in the audio video game we just had 1080p not 4k. Any help would be appreciated.

(Can I even use HdbaseT with cat7?!?!)

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Downing View Post
Years ago I worked in Magnolia. We used HDbaseT to do home theater projector set ups.

I just built a room onto my house just for a HT. Ran my wires but they are hung in the wall in some way shape or form... (Silly mistake).

I ran a 30 foot HDMI and a 30 foot cat7 cable. I am 3 inches to short than I need to be for my UHD60 and the screen is set really cant bring it up any higher. This is all very aggravating. I have tried female to female HDMI couplers but they wont pass a 4k signal. I am guessing there is a bandwidth drop off or something.... Audio tries to come through but drops out every few seconds. Display just says searching....

So before putting holes in my drywall what does anyone know about HDbaseT or devices similar. When I was in the audio video game we just had 1080p not 4k. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
CAT7 is 600MHz, 10Gnps, RJ45, Shielded (s/STP).
Things have changed so much over the years. I should of done more homework. Someone please help!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Best,
Cat7 will be perfectly fine for HdBaseT but do not use a wall connection plate - make sure the sender and receiver are plugged into the ends of the in-wall run without any couplers in between. Look for a Valens-based HdBaseT unit released after February of 2018 to make sure it’s using the most current hardware and firmware. AVProedge (look for the models with 444 in the model number) makes solid hardware that is popular in the CI community. Pulse-Eight is also very popular. Depending on your needs you could even probably get away with a monoprice setup (again look for newest/latest gen).

Note that the current iteration of HDBaseT reduces HDR bit depth as part of its compression but it’s not noticeable (next gen currently in development won’t do this).

Also note that current HDBaseT units may not support HDMI 2.1’s already compressed formats so you may have to switch your HDBaseT units in a couple years to support newer tech.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
+1. If you're going to run your cabling in a conduit (HIGHLY recommended for long HDMI runs that are in-wall) then you also might want to consider a hybrid fiber cable as an option or alternative to HDBT. You can always leave the solid core CAT-6/7 cabling in place and for future use.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Cat7 will be perfectly fine for HdBaseT but do not use a wall connection plate - make sure the sender and receiver are plugged into the ends of the in-wall run without any couplers in between. Look for a Valens-based HdBaseT unit released after February of 2018 to make sure it’s using the most current hardware and firmware. AVProedge (look for the models with 444 in the model number) makes solid hardware that is popular in the CI community. Pulse-Eight is also very popular. Depending on your needs you could even probably get away with a monoprice setup (again look for newest/latest gen).

Note that the current iteration of HDBaseT reduces HDR bit depth as part of its compression but it’s not noticeable (next gen currently in development won’t do this).

Also note that current HDBaseT units may not support HDMI 2.1’s already compressed formats so you may have to switch your HDBaseT units in a couple years to support newer tech.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30446

So I called Monoprice they told me this should work for what I am trying to do even though it shows cat6 he said my cat7 would be ok. Thoughts?
post #6 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
+1. If you're going to run your cabling in a conduit (HIGHLY recommended for long HDMI runs that are in-wall) then you also might want to consider a hybrid fiber cable as an option or alternative to HDBT. You can always leave the solid core CAT-6/7 cabling in place and for future use.
I was going to and I didn't. Big Big mistake on my end.....
post #7 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I was going to and I didn't. Big Big mistake on my end.....
Cat 7 has not been ratified. I would suggest cat6a which has been ratified and is recommended for SDvOE which is possibly the replacement for HDMI. IF SDvOE does not come to fruition the CAT6a will work fine for your ethernetl

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #8 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Cat 7 has not been ratified. I would suggest cat6a which has been ratified and is recommended for SDvOE which is possibly the replacement for HDMI. IF SDvOE does not come to fruition the CAT6a will work fine for your ethernetl
I use solid core CAT-6 to hardwire both of my HTS's and it works great, at least for streaming, etc. HDBT/SDvOE are definitely viable options.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Quote:
I use solid core CAT-6 to hardwire both of my HTS's and it works great, at least for streaming, etc. HDBT/SDvOE are definitely viable options.

Depending on the application (quality of wire and length of run) cat5 and even cat5e is fine.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #10 of 17 Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Depending on the application (quality of wire and length of run) cat5 and even cat5e is fine.
Agreed. However, both of my runs are 100' or longer so I opted for the solid core CAT-6 just to give me a little extra insurance because I don't plan on re-wiring them any time soon .

post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
'I called Monoprice they told me this should work' - plug it in and see how it goes, lots of variables at play once you start introducing extenders into a system.

As others have said try and keep the 'cable' runs as simple as possible with the minimum number of connections you can achieve.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-28-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is my understanding that SDvOE switches are not yet low cost and fully ready for deployment. Valens claims SDvOE will be ready late in 2019 or sometime in 2020. I always wait and see and prefer not to be the first canary in the coal mine. However, if pulling wire now I think the added cost of Cat6a is a smart move as is installing conduit. The Comcast installer was impressed with the speed of my Ethernet and said he would wire the same installation in his home/

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding that SDvOE switches are not yet low cost and fully ready for deployment. Valens claims SDvOE will be ready late in 2019 or sometime in 2020. I always wait and see and prefer not to be the first canary in the coal mine. However, if pulling wire now I think the added cost of Cat6a is a smart move as is installing conduit. The Comcast installer was impressed with the speed of my Ethernet and said he would wire the same installation in his home/
I agree. We must of had the same Comcast installer because I got a similar comment.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-28-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree. We must of had the same Comcast installer because I got a similar comment.
Fooled again, I am a sucker for a compliment. Ha ha!

Actually, Otto everything I have done I learned from you and Joe and others on AVS Forum. I have been going to AVS college where I learned about Black Box, solid core copper cat cables, RG6, conduit and so much more.

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-28-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-28-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Fooled again, I am a sucker for a compliment. Ha ha!
Hmm. Actually I had two Comcast installers because the initial wiring was a mess (Frontier) so I had an electrician run solid core CAT-6 to where I wanted which made Comcast's job easier, and they liked it.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-30-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
The Monoprice extender, by all specifications, should work fine for any 18Gb/s 4K content.

That's the key you are looking for. People obsess about cable types, and that's fine, but having cat5e or better rated cable with runs under 100 feet should be fine for these setups in our homes.

The hard part is ensuring the extenders work and pass the signal and that the final HDMI cables that are used are rated for 18Gb/s. So, make sure you have decent cables at both ends making that first and last connection point.
TrendSetterX likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Actually, Otto everything I have done I learned from you and Joe and others on AVS Forum. I have been going to AVS college where I learned about Black Box, solid core copper cat cables, RG6, conduit and so much more.
Don't know how I missed this comment when I replied. Old age and poor eyesight I am continually learning new things on AVS, mainly because it can change so rapidly. You should see my notes that I refer to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page