Active HMDI CL3 HDCP2.2 recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-06-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Active HMDI CL3 HDCP2.2 recommendation

I have a 15-20ft run that I need an HDMI cable for. I want to run something that will let me do 8K so I will have that in place when I purchase a new TV. I don't game just audio visual. Willing to spend what I need to get the right thing, but really don't want to overspend for something I don't need. Thanks. Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchang View Post
I have a 15-20ft run that I need an HDMI cable for. I want to run something that will let me do 8K so I will have that in place when I purchase a new TV. I don't game just audio visual. Willing to spend what I need to get the right thing, but really don't want to overspend for something I don't need. Thanks. Brian
8k? Why? It's going to be a long time before there is any content to watch. The only HDMI cable that I know of, that's been tested for 8k (which is basically HDMI 2.1) are the soon to be released Ruipro8k hybrid fiber cables, and they are going to be expensive. They are tested by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center), which is the official HDMI.org testing/certification program but they can't be labeled as "certified" because at this point in time HDMI.org doesn't allow for certification of active cables. If it were me, I'd save a few dollars and get the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable if you want one that is going to be reliable and robust for HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications now and just wait until you purchase an 8k display that is reasonably priced, and there is 8k content to view.

The problem with 8k and/or HDMI 2.1 is the lack of consumer devices (and content) in the wild that can successfully pass all of the HDMI 2.1 options sets without issues. Proper and adequate testing of cables in a laboratory setting is one thing but actual use in the hands of users is another matter altogether. eARC and VRR don't count because they can be successfully passed via the HDMI 2.0 chipsets, even though they are part of the HDMI 2.1 option sets.

Technically speaking, at 20', all you need is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) which is certified (passive cable) to meet ALL HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications. But being as you mentioned 8k I suggested the hybrid fiber cable.

The ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to install your cabling in a conduit if you don't have easy access to your cables. That makes it a lot easier and safer to upgrade your cabling as needed. Connection technology will always lags behind video technology so the likelyhood of swapping out cables in the future is a very real possibility.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page