Dealing with HDMI incompatibility issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dealing with HDMI incompatibility issues

While most people on the forum are asking if their 4K UHD is being passed through on the HDMI cable, I feel like I have the reverse issue. I have a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray, and when I connected it to the TV's HDMI port, which has UHD, it does not play any audio. The reason it doesn't play any audio is because it can't seems to interface with the TV if I set the HDMI port to enable UHD. I don't know what the issue is. The most likely cause is that it can't handshake the audio part properly when UHD is enabled.

Is there a way to not let the Blu-ray think that UHD is turned off on the HDMI port? One suggestion would be to plug the Blu-ray to a different input on the TV, but unfortunately, I then lose the Atmos. What I want is being able to pass the atmos without hitting the UHD incompatibility issue.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Today, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Which TV do you have and have you confirmed the HDMI Input on the TV supports Immersive audio - many don't, even where the TV supports Immersive audio on its internal streaming Apps.

Try setting your BDP to 2.0 PCM - that will let you know if the TV is finding and decoding audio from your Source.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 9 Old Today, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

TV is Vizio D50-E1 UHD. What I have discovered so far is:
* TV does support Immersive on at least the Amazon Prime App. I suppose Netflix probably works, too, but I don't have the account to test it.
* TV does not pass Immersive Audio from HDMI input, so if I plug in Blu-ray to HDMI-2, the audio is passed through the ARC (HDMI-1), but not the Immersive audio.
* No matter which audio setting I use, there is no sound from the Blu-ray as long as UHD is enable on the HDMI port. There is no sound even for the blue-ray's internal app or the start up sound. No sound from DVD, etc. Until UHD is disable, you will not hear anything. Surprisingly the video works.

I don't suppose if there is a product that can act as a intermediary that will pass the Immersive audio to the HDMI port, but block the UHD.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old Today, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
To echo Joe, even if your tv is capable of immersive audio from the internal apps, quite often it can't pass that audio from an external source. In cases like that, ARC is no better than optical because it will be limited to 5.1, in not just 2.0.

Your best bet would be to not use your tv as the hub but to run all external sources thru an avr and just send the video to the tv. That way, your audio can be decoded properly. For the internal apps, you can try ARC to see if that will work but you won't be able to get HD Audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc) and probably Atmos. Some tv's can pass lossy Atmos from the internal apps via ARC so all you can do is try. Optical from the tv will give you just 5.1, the same as ARC.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 9 Old Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 343
What are you connecting the ARC Out on the TV too?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I feel I have not been able to make my points across. I know that atmos isn't going to go through ARC and so the setup as as followed:

Blu-Ray ---(hdmi-in)--> Soundbar ---(hdmi ARC) --> TV

So the soundbar is essentially the hub or the switch. Because the blue-ray isn't routed through the TV, we bypass the atmos not transmitting through ARC by sending the audio directly to the sourndbar.

The problem is that if I turn on UHD on the hdmi ARC, the Blu-ray audio will stop working. Suppose my soundbar has multiple HDMI input with some UHD sources, I would have to disable UHD when I switch to the blu-ray and switch on the UHD when I switch to the UHD source.

Can anyone think of a decent alternative?

Paul
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
Hi,

I feel I have not been able to make my points across. I know that atmos isn't going to go through ARC and so the setup as as followed:

Blu-Ray ---(hdmi-in)--> Soundbar ---(hdmi ARC) --> TV

So the soundbar is essentially the hub or the switch. Because the blue-ray isn't routed through the TV, we bypass the atmos not transmitting through ARC by sending the audio directly to the sourndbar.

The problem is that if I turn on UHD on the hdmi ARC, the Blu-ray audio will stop working. Suppose my soundbar has multiple HDMI input with some UHD sources, I would have to disable UHD when I switch to the blu-ray and switch on the UHD when I switch to the UHD source.

Can anyone think of a decent alternative?

Paul
The Sony BDP-S590 is an older player with HDMI 1.4a. It should be able to handle ARC so the issue may be the Vizio in what it is doing when UHD or when you switch sources. When issue occur after source switching I always suspect CEC. A lot of systems require CEC to be enabled for ARC to work. CEC is not standardized in the sense that all device mfrs have to use the same option sets so incompatibilities are quite common. The issue could also be the soundbar. What's the model of the soundbar and what else do you have in your setup?

post #8 of 9 Old Today, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

TV: Vizio D50-E1
Soundbar: SB36512-F6

DVD: BDP-S590

It is possible that it's a CEC issue. I can try to turn it off. I have try the input with the following with no issue:
* A Roku Streaming stick
* A PC with HDMI

In the case of the PC, I was able to output atmos without issue.

In the case of roku, I only got at best regular surround since it doesn't support atmos.
However, both device worked as expected.

Paul
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
TV: Vizio D50-E1
Soundbar: SB36512-F6

DVD: BDP-S590

It is possible that it's a CEC issue. I can try to turn it off. I have try the input with the following with no issue:
* A Roku Streaming stick
* A PC with HDMI

In the case of the PC, I was able to output atmos without issue.

In the case of roku, I only got at best regular surround since it doesn't support atmos.
However, both device worked as expected.

Paul
Yep. Disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices as a test and just see if it all plays as expected. You'll have to use the individual remotes. If all works as you would expect then enable ARC/CEC and see if the issues come back. Of course you won't be able to use ARC unless your system allows separate control of ARC/CEC which is doubtful for the soundbar and possibly the BD player. There is a dongle device called the Lindy CECless adapter that blocks the CEC commands (or most of them) so that you can still use ARC. It's worth a try if CEC incompatibility is your problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page