HDMI Connection Issue with Wall Plates - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI Connection Issue with Wall Plates

We have a bunch conference rooms set up with televisions andtypically have been using wall plates below and behind the TV. We have recently encountered an issue with a TVwe just set up. It works fine whenplugged directly into the TV, but has issues when going through the two wallplates. The signal intermittentlyflashes on and off..perhaps once every twenty to thirty seconds. However, this only happens with somecomputers. We have tested this with a coupleof machines that display fine.
Any idea why this issue is occurring - and only with isolated machines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
We have a bunch conference rooms set up with televisions andtypically have been using wall plates below and behind the TV. We have recently encountered an issue with a TVwe just set up. It works fine whenplugged directly into the TV, but has issues when going through the two wallplates. The signal intermittentlyflashes on and off..perhaps once every twenty to thirty seconds. However, this only happens with somecomputers. We have tested this with a coupleof machines that display fine.
Any idea why this issue is occurring - and only with isolated machines?
Generally it’s best practice not to use wall plates for this very reason. For very short runs for UHD you might get away with it but for longer runs they’re going to cause problems with signal strength.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. We used to have multiple inputs but are now just using wall plates with a single HDMI connection. Given this, I believe that we are going to switch to the use of pass through wall plates - which I have already been considering prior to the recent issue. That being said, I am curious why this is only happening with some computers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
Thanks. We used to have multiple inputs but are now just using wall plates with a single HDMI connection. Given this, I believe that we are going to switch to the use of pass through wall plates - which I have already been considering prior to the recent issue. That being said, I am curious why this is only happening with some computers.
TrendSetterX is correct. The best and most reliable connection is a direct source to sink with no adapters, switches, wall plates, etc in-between. 1080 is not so much of a problem but 4k HDR is depending on your cable length and other factors. Pass though wall plates are the way to go.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
'That being said, I am curious why this is only happening with some computers' - OS, Motherboard Display Output, Graphics Card Output, signal format, Content being displayed... lots of reasons why one computer may work and another not.

What is the total HDMI cable run to the Display?

Brush style wall plates are worth considering and do away with any breaks in the cable run.

The choice of Input socket on the Display may also play a part in devices working (or not) - support for some resolutions, video formats may not be universal across all ports on a Display.

We often stick a device you can 'cast' too behind Conf. room Displays these days as an option to hard wiring!

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Wall plates are the worst. I've used them at a few facilities and they end up failing within a year. At least the sub $100 ones do. Once I used external devices and mounted them over the wall plates and switched to fiber HDMI cables, all problems went away... for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page