Need help getting new HDMI cables - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help getting new HDMI cables

Hello all I’m looking to upgrade my hdmi cables as the ones I’ve had I’ve owned them for a decade at least. My main setup for now is 55” KS8000. 4K Apple TV and PS4Pro I purchased some monoprice cables but I’m not too happy. I don’t think the PQ was better than what I had before. After a few episodes I go to no signal for a few moments and then video comes back and while watching a movie last night the PQ was poor and I had to restart the movie for the PQ to look at least HD.

So can anyone tell me which certified 18Gbs YCbCr 4:4:4 cable I should get? 6ft will be just fine.

The cables I bought on mono price were Product # 34202. Sorry I can’t post links.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
post #3 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwizard1 View Post
Hello all I’m looking to upgrade my hdmi cables as the ones I’ve had I’ve owned them for a decade at least. My main setup for now is 55” KS8000. 4K Apple TV and PS4Pro I purchased some monoprice cables but I’m not too happy. I don’t think the PQ was better than what I had before. After a few episodes I go to no signal for a few moments and then video comes back and while watching a movie last night the PQ was poor and I had to restart the movie for the PQ to look at least HD.

So can anyone tell me which certified 18Gbs YCbCr 4:4:4 cable I should get? 6ft will be just fine.

The cables I bought on mono price were Product # 34202. Sorry I can’t post links.

Thanks.

This one?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34202

It's certified and should meet specification(s).

Have you contacted Monoprice support? Perhaps they can help either with diagnosis or replacement.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Falls short:

"The AmazonBasics HDMI cable displays 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, with 48-bit deep color, and supports bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps."

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Falls short:

"The AmazonBasics HDMI cable displays 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, with 48-bit deep color, and supports bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps."

Amazon should have put that blurb higher up on the product page.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Amazon should have put that blurb higher up on the product page.
Why? That's how to sell products! Read the "highlights", click and checkout without scrolling down and reading.
beerhunt likes this.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Why? That's how to sell products! Read the "highlights", click and checkout without scrolling down and reading.
Got that right! Folks seem to look at just the highlights and price and not dig any deeper. Premium High Speed with the QR label is all they need to look for if they don't want to read the entire product description from top to bottom.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
This one?

It's certified and should meet specification(s).

Have you contacted Monoprice support? Perhaps they can help either with diagnosis or replacement.
Yes these are the cables. I will message their support
post #9 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Yes these are the cables. I will message their support
I have 4 - 6 of the same cable. If your are experiencing intermittent signal loss I suspect you either A) have a bad cable (Monoprice has always handled replacements well in my experience) or B) issues with the source connections.

Did you try different MP cables on the same devices/connections? All exhibited the problem? Are you connecting your devices directly to the TV, or going through an AVR?

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #10 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I have 4 - 6 of the same cable. If your are experiencing intermittent signal loss I suspect you either A) have a bad cable (Monoprice has always handled replacements well in my experience) or B) issues with the source connections.

Did you try different MP cables on the same devices/connections? All exhibited the problem? Are you connecting your devices directly to the TV, or going through an AVR?
My old cables which I have for years have never exhibited these issues. I’m plugged directly into the tv. The cables I have are 3 feet which in hindsight I should have got 6ft but that’s not to big of an issue.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
My old cables which I have for years have never exhibited these issues. I’m plugged directly into the tv. The cables I have are 3 feet which in hindsight I should have got 6ft but that’s not to big of an issue.
With Premium High Speed HDMI cables (QR label) you should not have any issues at 3' or 6'. I've used both of those lengths with Premium cables from BJC and never had any issues with 4k HDR. Someone else recently posted about having issues with certified cables from Monoprice so maybe there's some bad cables out there that someone is dumping. Monoprice gets their cables from various suppliers/mfrs so who knows.

I agree that you should check your source connections. Make sure the cables fit snugly and you aren't putting any excess strain on the inputs.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-23-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
As smcmillan2 says you have to separate out your visual experience from your expectations of your cables.

Any two working cables will deliver exactly the same sound and vision on your TV - if part way through a movie you are seeing image degradation which is not very obviously a faulty cable, pixelation, flashing image or no image, something else is at fault.

If you are streaming are you not seeing an issue with your Broadband or Network bandwidth and your player having to drop its output quality?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-23-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:

Thanks.
Have you turned on HDMI UHD Color in the KS8000 picture settings? You need to have that enabled in order to view HDR content. With your old cables that didn't support HDR, it wouldn't have mattered but with the new cables it will. My guess is that the blackouts occur watching HDR from your Apple TV.

Also make sure your ATV4K video setting is set to 4K SDR default, with matching frame rate and matching range both enabled.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Hello all I’️m looking to upgrade my hdmi cables as the ones I’️ve had I’️ve owned them for a decade at least. My main setup for now is 55” KS8000. 4K Apple TV and PS4Pro I purchased some monoprice cables but I’️m not too happy. I don’️t think the PQ was better than what I had before. After a few episodes I go to no signal for a few moments and then video comes back and while watching a movie last night the PQ was poor and I had to restart the movie for the PQ to look at least HD.

The cables I bought on mono price were Product # 34202. Sorry I can’️t post links.

Thanks.
Have you turned on HDMI UHD Color in the KS8000 picture settings? You need to have that enabled in order to view HDR content. With your old cables that didn't support HDR, it wouldn't have mattered but with the new cables it will. My guess is that the blackouts occur watching HDR from your Apple TV.

Also make sure your ATV4K video setting is set to 4K SDR default, with matching frame rate and matching range both enabled.
UHD color has been turned on from the start. And my Apple TV 4K is set to SDR by default. I still haven’t heard back from them yet, thus I’m probably going to get a different brand of cable in a few days.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-23-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot
Got that right! Folks seem to look at just the highlights and price and not dig any deeper. ...
Got that right! Some folks expect the blurb at the top of the product page to be factually accurate. Some folks are just silly that way.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Got that right! Some folks expect the blurb at the top of the product page to be factually accurate. Some folks are just silly that way.
Yep. It's amazing what the marketeers can get away with. I guess as long as the "factual" information is somewhere in the product description it doesn't make any difference where it's found as long as it's there.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-24-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yep. It's amazing what the marketeers can get away with. I guess as long as the "factual" information is somewhere in the product description it doesn't make any difference where it's found as long as it's there.
yeah... like a term-life insurance policy for only $9.95 a month!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page