Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 266
hdmi cable question

coming from an onkyo rz 820, used upstream for bluray, tidal, spectrum cable box, roku, etc
just got a new lg 55 inch oled b9, which btw im still knoecked out over!
question is, with the 2.1 hdmi ports one new lg, will it be worth my time to upgrade to better 2.1 cables?
i guess since netflix, youtube, amazon prime, etc are now built into this tv, they will not be hindered either way ?
im getting ready to get some stuff on amazon, and thought it would be a good time to snatch a few cables while i was at it.

new 2.1 hdmi snake oil or legit?
any good ones to look at on amazon?

Last edited by nodoubt; 11-25-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
coming from an onkyo rz 820, used upstream for bluray, tidal, spectrum cable box, roku, etc
just got a new lg 55 inch oled b9, which btw im still knoecked out over!
question is, with the 2.1 hdmi ports one new lg, will it be worth my time to upgrade to better 2.1 cables?
i guess since netflix, youtube, amazon prime, etc are now built into this tv, they will not be hindered either way ?
im getting ready to get some stuff on amazon, and thought it would be a good time to snatch a few cables while i was at it.

new 2.1 hdmi snake oil or legit?
any good ones to look at on amazon?
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.1 cable, regardless of the marketing you may read. The basic cable plan is this:

If your run is under about 20', for 4k HDR, look for a Premium High Speed HDMI cable with the QR label for authenticity.
If your run is over 20', for 4k HDR, the recommendation is to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k gets a lot of positive reviews from actual AVS users). However, they are expensive. Both cables meet the current HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications.

Once certified HDMI 2.1 devices, and content which requires the full 48Gbps bandwidth are commonplace, you will probably have to upgrade your cabling again so make sure you have easy access to your cables. If you install in-wall, a conduit is an absolute must. Be mindful of bend radius when installing your cables.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.1 cable, regardless of the marketing you may read. The basic cable plan is this:

If your run is under about 20', for 4k HDR, look for a Premium High Speed HDMI cable with the QR label for authenticity.
If your run is over 20', for 4k HDR, the recommendation is to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k gets a lot of positive reviews from actual AVS users). However, they are expensive. Both cables meet the current HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications.

Once certified HDMI 2.1 devices, and content which requires the full 48Gbps bandwidth are commonplace, you will probably have to upgrade your cabling again so make sure you have easy access to your cables. If you install in-wall, a conduit is an absolute must. Be mindful of bend radius when installing your cables.
my runs are well under 6ft.
tx for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
my runs are well under 6ft.
tx for the info
6' is well within the HDMI 2.1 specifications for passive cable length so I'd just stick with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) for HDMI 2.0 and see how it goes. eARC and VRR, which are part of the HDMI 2.1 feature sets are possible with HDMI 2.0 if your hardware supports it. Cable certification for the HDMI 2.1 feature sets are coming (slowly ) but if you need cables now, just go with Premium High Speed.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page