• 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Decent HDMI Switch

Hello,

I hate to post about something that's already been discussed in other posts, but I wonder whether my requirements are somewhat different and might solicit different recommendations.

I am about to purchase a Samsung 50" RU7100 , 4K UHD (2160p). I want to wall mount it, and enable it to accept feeds from my cable box via HDMI ... but also at times from my computer via HDMI (other times, I will use the computer with its own monitors). From a TV standpoint, I don't usually use any kind of blueray or streaming feeds (although I don't exclude that in the future) or gaming (not likely to ever use) and I primarily use regular cable TV feeds. From a computer standpoint, I'd like to be able to use the highest resolution available from my video drivers (usually 1920X1080) and be able to "extend" my display between monitors.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI switch not too pricey that would fit the need for this scenario? I believe the TV supports HDMI 2.0, but don't know if I need that in the switch?

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post
Hello,

I hate to post about something that's already been discussed in other posts, but I wonder whether my requirements are somewhat different and might solicit different recommendations.

I am about to purchase a Samsung 50" RU7100 , 4K UHD (2160p). I want to wall mount it, and enable it to accept feeds from my cable box via HDMI ... but also at times from my computer via HDMI (other times, I will use the computer with its own monitors). From a TV standpoint, I don't usually use any kind of blueray or streaming feeds (although I don't exclude that in the future) or gaming (not likely to ever use) and I primarily use regular cable TV feeds. From a computer standpoint, I'd like to be able to use the highest resolution available from my video drivers (usually 1920X1080) and be able to "extend" my display between monitors.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI switch not too pricey that would fit the need for this scenario? I believe the TV supports HDMI 2.0, but don't know if I need that in the switch?

Larry
You might want to look into a Rocketfish 4k HDR HDMI switch. There have been some favorable posts in the past. Do your homework though. I don't use HDMI switches (that's what my avr is for) so I can't give you any firsthand knowledge on what is reliable and what isn't.

As far as wall mounting your tv, you really need to consider running conduit for your cabling. That is the ONLY way to future proof and with the use of a conduit, upgrading or changing your cabling as need arises is a lot easier and safer. Just be mindful of bend radius when fishing your cabling.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

Realizing now that my new TV has 3 HDMI ports. Is there any good reason to have to purchase an HDMI switch? Can't I just control it via the remote by changing the input?

Thanks for your advice on the conduit. I'll ask about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

Realizing now that my new TV has 3 HDMI ports. Is there any good reason to have to purchase an HDMI switch? Can't I just control it via the remote by changing the input?

Thanks for your advice on the conduit. I'll ask about it.
Yes, you can connect directly to your tv via the HDMI ports and then just select the input with the remote. Do keep in mind that if you plan on using ARC, then usually only one input is designated for ARC. Will you be using a soundbar, receiver, or the tv's speakers for your auido.

If your cabling is in-wall (you didn't say how long of a cable run you will have) I highly recommend installing conduit. It's a hassle for sure but you will be glad you did down the road. However, if you want to run your cabling outside of the wall in some sort of a cable run that works as well and is a lot easier that conduit inside the wall.
lsedels likes this.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yes, you can connect directly to your tv via the HDMI ports and then just select the input with the remote. Do keep in mind that if you plan on using ARC, then usually only one input is designated for ARC. Will you be using a soundbar, receiver, or the tv's speakers for your auido.

If your cabling is in-wall (you didn't say how long of a cable run you will have) I highly recommend installing conduit. It's a hassle for sure but you will be glad you did down the road. However, if you want to run your cabling outside of the wall in some sort of a cable run that works as well and is a lot easier that conduit inside the wall.

Good questions. I didn't even know what ARC is until I just read about it. I don't anticipate using it at this time, although I suppose if I ever decide I want to, I can always purchase a switch at that time. The cables will be 8', and although I've discussed in-wall with the installer, it is a lot more involved and decided against it. As for soundbar or receiver, will use the TV onboard speakers for now, but will consider moving to soundbar in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond and be helpful.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Good questions. I didn't even know what ARC is until I just read about it. I don't anticipate using it at this time, although I suppose if I ever decide I want to, I can always purchase a switch at that time. The cables will be 8', and although I've discussed in-wall with the installer, it is a lot more involved and decided against it. As for soundbar or receiver, will use the TV onboard speakers for now, but will consider moving to soundbar in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond and be helpful.
ARC is a nice feature but can have issues because quite often it is associated with CEC. CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) is the feature that allows you to use your tv's remote to control other HDMI connected devices. Unfortunately it is not standardized so there are a lot of incompatibilities, which can affect ARC.

By installer are you talking about the dealer who you purchased the tv from? They won't want to install a conduit because that could involve cutting into the wall unless they have attic space access and they just don't want to deal with that. It might be helpful to know if the cable installation is thru a wall, or a horizontal or vertical installation. What ever your installer does, make sure that any bending of the cable is as gentle as possible (bend radius). No sharp 90 degree bends (which is considerably easier to control with a conduit). Install a pull string in case you need to do future cable pulls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page