Swap out existing extender w/simple solution? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Swap out existing extender w/simple solution?

When installing our JVC DLA-RS1000 we had to wind up moving the installation location and that meant that the original HDMI cable we ran was too short.

We had already run a ~25 foot HDMI cable through the cieling, across beams / etc so couldn't just pull another through.

The projector now sits about 5 feet away from the end of the original high bandwidth HDMI cable.

At the time I bought a "4K HDR HDbaseT Long Range HDMI Extender Kit" eg this -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <- based on reccomendations from this forum and it works great.

But it looks like, due to the relatively short extension distaince (5 feet) - I could potentially just run a cable like this one that boasts 6 ft / 22 GBS transmission speed:

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-22-...dp/B07PFBRLH6/

It would be nice to just have a simple cable solution to cut down on the bulkiness of the current solution.

We primarily run the picture with 4k UHD BluRays so bandwidth is critical - any thoughts about if one of those cables would work, or a cable brand that we should try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Liked: 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycview2 View Post
When installing our JVC DLA-RS1000 we had to wind up moving the installation location and that meant that the original HDMI cable we ran was too short.

We had already run a ~25 foot HDMI cable through the cieling, across beams / etc so couldn't just pull another through.

The projector now sits about 5 feet away from the end of the original high bandwidth HDMI cable.

At the time I bought a "4K HDR HDbaseT Long Range HDMI Extender Kit" eg this -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <- based on reccomendations from this forum and it works great.

But it looks like, due to the relatively short extension distaince (5 feet) - I could potentially just run a cable like this one that boasts 6 ft / 22 GBS transmission speed:

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-22-...dp/B07PFBRLH6/

It would be nice to just have a simple cable solution to cut down on the bulkiness of the current solution.

We primarily run the picture with 4k UHD BluRays so bandwidth is critical - any thoughts about if one of those cables would work, or a cable brand that we should try?
At that distance, I'd recommend a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k. They are expensive but do get the most positive results from AVS members who have installed and are using them. The cable should also be installed in a conduit for safe and easy installation and the ability to keep bend radius to a minimum, but it sounds like that may be difficult to achieve.

4k HDR can be touchy with its connections so the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no adapters, extenders, or wall plates in-between. Connections like that can work but anytime you introduce a "break" in the data path, you may introduce errors. There are also reports of pj's having issues with active cables so something like a voltage inserter may be needed as well. All you can do is try.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the response!

Does the Ruipro4k line have an "Extender"?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can swap out the cable, we had to run it through the cieling to the projector through a number of beams and it's not as easy as pulling it back through again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
At that distance, I'd recommend a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k. They are expensive but do get the most positive results from AVS members who have installed and are using them. The cable should also be installed in a conduit for safe and easy installation and the ability to keep bend radius to a minimum, but it sounds like that may be difficult to achieve.

4k HDR can be touchy with its connections so the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no adapters, extenders, or wall plates in-between. Connections like that can work but anytime you introduce a "break" in the data path, you may introduce errors. There are also reports of pj's having issues with active cables so something like a voltage inserter may be needed as well. All you can do is try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Liked: 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycview2 View Post
Thank you for the response!

Does the Ruipro4k line have an "Extender"?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can swap out the cable, we had to run it through the cieling to the projector through a number of beams and it's not as easy as pulling it back through again
The Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable is an active cable so there is no "extender".

If you can't re-install cabling then you are looking at potential issues. Do you remember what kind of HDMI cable you installed? If it's no longer than 25' could it be a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, which is a cable that is certified by HDMI.org to meet all HDMI 2.0 specifications (18Gbps bandwidth)? Those cables are passive because HDMI.org does not allow for the certification of active cables. If it is a Premium cable, then you may be able to get away with an active extender for the short length to the pj.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2019, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Adding any form of cable to the installed cable will be trail and error and may require you to install some form of powered Extender or 5v inserter into the signal path - you may get away with Extender/Injector close to the Projector.

One option may be to keep en eye on the HDBT market - the 'Next Gen' of Extender kit will not likely be any less bulky than what you have now but will carry uncompressed UHD!

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page