HDMI Premium Certified Label Scan and Product Don't Match - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 2 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 21 Old 01-11-2020, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 287
HDMI Premium Certified Label Scan and Product Don't Match

I purchased a couple of Premium High Speed HDMI cables from Monoprice recently. Scanning the labels with the HDMI app on my iPhone, the 10 foot Monoprice Cable P/N 15429 scans as a 3 foot VANCO cable, SKU: USPC03. However the scan of the 6 foot Monoprice Cable gives a matching description. The app says that "If the displayed information does not match the scanned package, there could be an issue with the product or the QR code on the label." I can't find any additional information regarding this issue. I have reported it to the HDMI Licensing Administrator. I need the 10 foot cable, which was already significantly delayed due to a shipping issue. Should I leave it sealed in the package in case it is a counterfeit, or there is another problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-11-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I purchased a couple of Premium High Speed HDMI cables from Monoprice recently. Scanning the labels with the HDMI app on my iPhone, the 10 foot Monoprice Cable P/N 15429 scans as a 3 foot VANCO cable, SKU: USPC03. However the scan of the 6 foot Monoprice Cable gives a matching description. The app says that "If the displayed information does not match the scanned package, there could be an issue with the product or the QR code on the label." I can't find any additional information regarding this issue. I have reported it to the HDMI Licensing Administrator. I need the 10 foot cable, which was already significantly delayed due to a shipping issue. Should I leave it sealed in the package in case it is a counterfeit, or there is another problem?

The whole idea of using a QR label for Premium High Speed HDMI cables is to prove authenticity (counterfeits). If the cable doesn't scan correctly then either there is something wrong with the label ( a smudge messing with the scan) or it's not a legit cable. Return it and ask for a replacement. The delay in shipping sounds a bit suspicious to me as well. Even if Monoprice says that they put the wrong label on by accident I'd still ask for a brand new cable. Monoprice, like Amazon, sells a lot of merchandise from other mfrs and vendors so you need to be careful. Most folks don't bother to scan the labels on Premium cables and that could be what the seller is hoping for.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The whole idea of using a QR label for Premium High Speed HDMI cables is to prove authenticity (counterfeits). If the cable doesn't scan correctly then either there is something wrong with the label ( a smudge messing with the scan) or it's not a legit cable. Return it and ask for a replacement. The delay in shipping sounds a bit suspicious to me as well. Even if Monoprice says that they put the wrong label on by accident I'd still ask for a brand new cable. Monoprice, like Amazon, sells a lot of merchandise from other mfrs and vendors so you need to be careful. Most folks don't bother to scan the labels on Premium cables and that could be what the seller is hoping for.
Thanks! The shipping delay does not appear to be Monoprice's fault. Tracking showed the shipment all the way to and received by my local post office who then denied ever receiving it a week later. It was a UPS Mail Innovations shipment. I just found that it was mistakenly sorted to the wrong post office, 8 days after it supposedly arrived at the correct one, and it is actually the package I received today. A replacement was supposed to be shipped yesterday, but it is only showing as pre-shipment in tracking at this time. Hopefully I'll get the replacement and it won't have the same issue. It seems strange that Monoprice would have a VANCO label from the HDMI Licensing Administrator, when Monoprice does not appear to sell VANCO brand cables.

This is my first cable purchase from Monoprice. However Monoprice seems to have been the gold standard recommendation for HDMI cable in these forums since the HDMI Premium Certified Cable program was established.

Additionally I have verified the label is clean, and I've rescanned it multiple times with no change in the results. It consistently reads as a 3ft VANCO cable, although it is very clearly a Monoprice 10 foot cable (which is what I ordered).

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-11-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The shipping delay does not appear to be Monoprice's fault. Tracking showed the shipment all the way to and received by my local post office who then denied ever receiving it a week later. It was a UPS Mail Innovations shipment. I just found that it was mistakenly sorted to the wrong post office, 8 days after it supposedly arrived at the correct one, and it is actually the package I received today. A replacement was supposed to be shipped yesterday, but it is only showing as pre-shipment in tracking at this time. Hopefully I'll get the replacement and it won't have the same issue. It seems strange that Monoprice would have a VANCO label from the HDMI Licensing Administrator, when Monoprice does not appear to sell VANCO brand cables.

This is my first cable purchase from Monoprice. However Monoprice seems to have been the gold standard recommendation for HDMI cable in these forums since the HDMI Premium Certified Cable program was established.

Additionally I have verified the label is clean, and I've rescanned it multiple times with no change in the results. It consistently reads as a 3ft VANCO cable, although it is very clearly a Monoprice 10 foot cable (which is what I ordered).
Keep in mind that the beauty of the certification program is that any cable mfr can submit their cables for certification so the consumer is not stuck with a particular cable mfr. It could be that the cable Monoprice sold is indeed a Vanco cable that is certified. I'd check the Vanco site and see if they offer Premium High Speed HDMI cables (QR label). Now that you cleared up the delay in shipping, it's not so mysterious now and in fact could be a legit cable.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 01-12-2020 at 09:56 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
Quote:
If in doubt, there's always Blue Jeans Cable using Belden;

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2510 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
It seems strange that Monoprice would have a VANCO label from the HDMI Licensing Administrator, when Monoprice does not appear to sell VANCO brand cables.
Did you contact support at Monoprice? What was their response?

Quote:
It could be that the cable Monoprice sold is indeed a Vanco cable that is certified.
Bingo!

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

Those are a good choice. I used them for years and never had any issues with 4k HDR.
KC-Technerd likes this.

post #8 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It could be that the cable Monoprice sold is indeed a Vanco cable that is certified. I'd check the Vanco site and see if they offer Premium High Speed HDMI cables (QR label).
Vanco does, but the scan indicates a VANCO USCP03 3 foot cable. However the package and contents is very clearly a Monoprice 10 foot cable, identical to the 6ft Monoprice cable that scans as a Monoprice 115248 6 foot cable, except for the length. The VANCO USCP (Ultra Slim Certified Premium) series does not resemble the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6087.png
Views:	10
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	2668818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6088.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2668820  
post #9 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Did you contact support at Monoprice? What was their response?
Monoprice support is not available on weekends, so tomorrow at the earliest.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Vanco does, but the scan indicates a VANCO USCP03 3 foot cable. However the package and contents is very clearly a Monoprice 10 foot cable, identical to the 6ft Monoprice cable that scans as a Monoprice 115248 6 foot cable, except for the length. The VANCO USCP (Ultra Slim Certified Premium) series does not resemble the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable series.
Three choices:

1. Try it to see if it meets your needs. If it does, you're done.
2. Send it back and get another cable like the other Monoprice cable.
3. Send them both back and purchase Premium cables from BJC (BlueJeans Cables).
Ratman and Jonas2 like this.

post #11 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Blue Jeans has great philosophy and explanation concerning their cables, and I would trust that I wouldn't have this issue with their cables. I purchased some speaker cable from them that I'm mostly happy with, other than finding they didn't apply their philosophy throughout the cables. (Ultrasonic welded terminations to ensure electrical connection integrity, but screw-in spade ends on those terminations that can easily come loose and compromise that electrical integrity, along with uninsulated termination bodies that can contact each other and short out the amplifier. I figured out ways to handle these shortcomings, but my suggestion that these might be considerations for future product improvement did not seem to be well received. I was told the spade ends were normally superglued (non-conductive adhesive) in place. Seems to me like if the wire can be ultrasonically fused to the terminal (with a premium being paid in consideration), that the spade end could somehow be conductively fused to the terminal body as well to eliminate the possibility of electrical integrity being compromised by the spade coming loose from the terminal body. Also seems like it would be simple matter to add a heat shrink or other non-conductive coating over the terminal bodies to eliminate the possibility of a short should they contact each other. (Blue Jeans actually includes heat shrink insulation for the terminal bodies on their DIY compression terminals.) Shorting the amp isn't a good thing. (I ended up using the included velcro cable ties as insulating separators for the terminal bodies.)

So in short, overall I think they're great. I just wish they were a little more receptive to this kind of feedback on one of the few products that it seems obvious they didn't fully think through.

I considered Blue Jeans for these HDMI cables, but decided to give the lower priced Monoprice cables a try since they seemed to be universally praised throughout the forums here, and trusting that a Premium Certified Cable is a Premium Certified Cable.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-12-2020 at 01:47 PM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Monoprice support is not available on weekends, so tomorrow at the earliest.
Quote:
Three choices:

1. Try it to see if it meets your needs. If it does, you're done.
2. Send it back and get another cable like the other Monoprice cable.
3. Send them both back and purchase Premium cables from BJC (BlueJeans Cables).

I'd contact Monoprice on Monday either way.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I considered Blue Jeans for these HDMI cables, but decided to give the lower priced Monoprice cables a try since they seemed to be universally praised throughout the forums here, and trusting that a Premium Certified Cable is a Premium Certified Cable.

The main idea behind using a QR label is that they are almost impossible to counterfeit. However, it's not a perfect situation. HDMI.org doesn't allow for the actual cable to be "tagged" with the QR label so it is possible that the wrong cable could be placed in a QR labeled package. Monoprice doesn't make cables, they purchase from other mfrs. BJC uses Belden cables (which has an excellent mfr'ing reputation) and then tests them via an ATC for the certification. At least with BJC, one knows exactly what they are getting. With Monoprice that's not always the case. Given the sophistication and technical requirements of today's a/v standards, I would rather spend a little more money on a known quantity than an unknown. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with Monoprice's products and pricing. They are a good place to get quality products. For copper-based cables, I usually recommend Monoprice, BJC, or MediaBridge.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd contact Monoprice on Monday either way.
Planning to. Hoping I get a reply from the HDMI Licensing Administrator as well, although the app doesn't specify whether I should expect one or not.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDMI.org doesn't allow for the actual cable to be "tagged" with the QR label so it is possible that the wrong cable could be placed in a QR labeled package.
Well, the weird thing is that it appears to be the right cable with the wrong QR label, rather than the wrong cable with the right QR label. All packaging and labeling match the cable, but not the QR code. If it is indeed a VANCO cable, rebranded by Monoprice, it is still neither the VANCO USCP model (not the right ends, not the right gauge), nor the correct length (3ft by QR label, 10ft by what I ordered, by the package labeling, and by the enclosed cable). In other words, the only thing in disagreement is the QR label (and it's wrong on the brand, model, and length). Otherwise what I ordered, the package, the labeling, the contents and Monoprice's description/photos all agree.

On the 6 foot cable in the same order, what I ordered, the package, the labeling the contents, Monoprice's description/photos, AND the QR label all agree. And it is the same model cable as the 10ft. Only difference is length. I've already put the 6 foot cable in use since there is no discrepancy with it.

I was hoping to maybe find someone else who had a similar experience. What seems most likely is that HDMI.org sent Monoprice the wrong QR codes for this particular product.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-12-2020 at 02:54 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I was hoping to maybe find someone else who had a similar experience. What seems most likely is that HDMI.org sent Monoprice the wrong QR codes for this particular product.
HDMI.org doesn't send out the QR labels. That's up to the ATC (Authorized Testing Center), following the guidelines set forth by HDMI.org. I wouldn't stress over it. Just see what Monoprice has to say and take it from there. Maybe they'll just replace the cable and you'll be good to go.
Ratman likes this.

post #17 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDMI.org doesn't send out the QR labels. That's up to the ATC (Authorized Testing Center), following the guidelines set forth by HDMI.org.
Well whoever sends them out when the authorized HDMI adopter (Monoprice) orders them via the HDMI adopter secure extranet.

Quote:
And only authorized HDMI adopters who participate in this special program can order labels via the HDMI adopter secure extranet.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-12-2020 at 08:54 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
It was probably a mistake somewhere along the chain. It happens. Again, I wouldn't stress over it. See what Monoprice says tomorrow and take it from there.

post #19 of 21 Old 01-14-2020, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, for what it's worth Monoprice says, "Upon checking, the item is a Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable. I think the problem is coming from the QR code that comes with the item. I am not sure why the put it there but you got the wrong one. Vancom is a different brand and they make their own cables. I checked the product name that you sent me it looks really different from the one that we sent you. I do apologize for this but I will make sure that the concerned department will be notified to get this issue rectified as soon as possible. We guarantee you that the cable is a Certified Premium High Speed HDMI."
post #20 of 21 Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Well, for what it's worth Monoprice says, .... We guarantee you that the cable is a Certified Premium High Speed HDMI."
If you're not comfortable with that explanation, get a refund and look for an alternative.

post #21 of 21 Old 01-14-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If you're not comfortable with that explanation, get a refund and look for an alternative.

Absolutely agree. Just get your money back and purchase one from BJC or MediaBridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page