Good HDMI switch with optical audio out for 4k projector (Epson 5040UB) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By msikora
  • 1 Post By ivanhoek
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 13 Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good HDMI switch with optical audio out for 4k projector (Epson 5040UB)

I'm having a real trouble of finding a good HDMI switch to use with my 4k projector (Epson 5040UB). So far I have tried 2 from Amazon and both have severe issues - mostly issues with sound.

My setup is following:
A gaming Windows PC
PS4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Amazon Fire Stick 4k
Epson 5040UB projector - one particular thing is that it CAN do HDR, but cannot do 4k/60Hz with HDR due to bandwidth limitations.
A pair of Edifier speakers with SPDIF in and built-in amplifier.

I have tried these 2 switches:
HDMI Matrix 4 in 2 Out 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR - this one actually seems to be well made, kind of expensive, however, in EDID passthrough mode I couldn't get any audio out of PC, it has EDID presets that somewhat worked, but they wouldn't exactly match my PJ - in particular it would be sending HDR 4k 60hz image that Epson 5040UB cannot process due to bandwidth.

AuviPal 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor - this is simply a POS, PC would lose sound every time I switch to it from other device, Fire Stick 4k wouldn't get any sound. Cheaply made.

I'm going to return both of them before the end of the month, but I don't know what to replace it with. I feel like I don't really need an expensive AV receiver, theoretically these HDMI switches should work if they only did their job. With my older non-4k PJ I was using another switch (1080p only) that, although cheaply made, was acceptable. Looking at other 4-port switches on Amazon with optical out, each of them seems to have some issues in the reviews that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Anyone has any good tips on how to solve this problem? There must a decent switch somewhere out there.
Is it a good idea to buy a separate SPDIF extractor and separate 4+ port switch and chain them together or would this cause an extra delay?
CapitaineCaverne likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This is the one I use.. it works great.

I have a ps4, Mac mini , gaming pc, oppo Blu-ray and an Apple TV.

No problems with switching or audio. Matter of fact, I send audio out via it’s dedicated hdmi out and get the best video the projector can give and the best audio my receiver can output. (It combines the edid)

It also has optical out.

XOLORspace 23421 HDMI 2.0 4X2 HDMI Matrix switcher Select Any one of Four HDR HDMI Input to one HDR HDMI Output and one HDMI Output for Audio only Supports 4k 60hz 4:4:4 8 bit HDR w/ARC SPDIF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H25VVFV..._oyrmEbP8YQYNM
CapitaineCaverne likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-29-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
This is one I've recommended to others. Not as expensive, but I think these guys are pretty decent in the business...
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...ef=sr_1_2_sspa

Read reviews, leave reviews for sure. It helps others out on Amazon.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XOLORspace 23421 HDMI 2.0

Hi ivanhoek

May I ask you about the XOLORspace 23421 HDMI 2.0 for your oppo and Apple TV?

I am trying to find a hdmi 4x2 switch that can support signals from Apple TV neflix with Dolby Atmos and Dolby vision in one HDMI Port (A output) and simultaneously sending out Audio signal from 2nd optical or HDMI port (B output), but without suffering the signals in the previous HDMI port (A output). Can your XOLORspace 23241 achieve purpose? I raised this issue because I have tried several 4x2 switches, the original signals of Dolby vision and Atmos through output A were always downgraded to HD/5.1 when transmitting simultaneous signals in 2nd video/audio output. Thank you for the reply.

Tony
post #5 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllu888 View Post
Hi ivanhoek

I am trying to find a hdmi 4x2 switch that can support signals from Apple TV neflix with Dolby Atmos and Dolby vision in one HDMI Port (A output) and simultaneously sending out Audio signal from 2nd optical or HDMI port (B output), but without suffering the signals in the previous HDMI port (A output). Can your XOLORspace 23241 achieve purpose? I raised this issue because I have tried several 4x2 switches, the original signals of Dolby vision and Atmos through output A were always downgraded to HD/5.1 when transmitting simultaneous signals in 2nd video/audio output. Thank you for the reply.

Tony

Yes, it can do that. You get full audio capabilities from your device connected to the audio output, and full video capabilities from your video output as well. It’s brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllu888 View Post
Hi ivanhoek

Tony

The second output is audio only.

You can configure the audio to 5.1, 7.1 or “pass”, which means read the hdmi edid of the connected device.

I don’t use the optical out, but that can do 5.1 and 7.1 per documentation.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post
The second output is audio only.

You can configure the audio to 5.1, 7.1 or “pass”, which means read the hdmi edid of the connected device.

I don’t use the optical out, but that can do 5.1 and 7.1 per documentation.

Thank you for the prompt answer.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The HDFury Vertex2 would be my suggestion - you may find a lower cost solution but not with the flexibility and Firmware based updatability of HDF.

We have a supplied a fair few to customers who have tried the lower cost solutions.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-vertex2-18gbps/

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
The HDFury Vertex2 would be my suggestion - you may find a lower cost solution but not with the flexibility and Firmware based updatability of HDF.

We have a supplied a fair few to customers who have tried the lower cost solutions.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-vertex2-18gbps/

Joe

That looks nice, but at that price I would just buy an entry level AVR like an Onkyo or similar to use for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'at that price I would just buy an entry level AVR like an Onkyo or similar to use for a while' - very few (if any) will have Optical Out, a few will have a 2RCA Line Out (usually Zone B - ensure Zone B covers you for sources being input via HDMI, some will limit you to sources which are inbuilt [AM/FM/Apps]) others may limit you to using the Headphone Out!

Joe

post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
'at that price I would just buy an entry level AVR like an Onkyo or similar to use for a while' - very few (if any) will have Optical Out, a few will have a 2RCA Line Out (usually Zone B - ensure Zone B covers you for sources being input via HDMI, some will limit you to sources which are inbuilt [AM/FM/Apps]) others may limit you to using the Headphone Out!

Joe

I’m confused.. why would I be doing that? I’d just straight up replace my AVR for a bit. Connect the speakers to the new AVR and play.

Some of these have preouts too, so if I was terribly concerned about power I can keep my existing AVR as an amp.

(But reality is I’m not as my speakers are efficient... your mileage may vary)

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I may have misunderstood this bit 'A pair of Edifier speakers with SPDIF in and built-in amplifier.'. - connecting the Speaker Out off an AVR is not usually an option with Active monitors!

As per my previous post be aware that very few entry level AVR's now include Pre outs - some will offer Zone B Out but often with limitations as to which source devices you can listen to.

Joe
ivanhoek likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I may have misunderstood this bit 'A pair of Edifier speakers with SPDIF in and built-in amplifier.'. - connecting the Speaker Out off an AVR is not usually an option with Active monitors!

As per my previous post be aware that very few entry level AVR's now include Pre outs - some will offer Zone B Out but often with limitations as to which source devices you can listen to.

Joe

Got it. The one I posted also has optical out and has worked great so far. I don’t doubt the HD Fury is a good product, I just find it’s price a bit too high and close to an AVR to consider as a temporary stop gap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page