longest HDMI Cable 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG that I can buy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 15
longest HDMI Cable [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG that I can buy?

Hi all

What is the longest HDMI Cable [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG that I can buy without loss of quality?

it used to be under 7m (21 feet) max, has this changed?

I do not want to buy fiber optic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-28-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post
Hi all

What is the longest HDMI Cable [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG that I can buy without loss of quality?

it used to be under 7m (21 feet) max, has this changed?

I do not want to buy fiber optic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

It depends on what you want to push. The maximum certifiable (ATC, with QR label) length is 25' for passive cables. Active cables can not get HDMI.org certification. Keep in mind that the longer your cable length the more you increase your chances on having issues (especially for ARC/eARC if that's a concern). Also, longer certified cables have thicker wire gauges for reliability but that decreases the bend radius and increases the possibility for strain on the HDMI input.

Cable selection can still be a bit of trial and error so you may have to try a couple of cables before you find one that meets your needs. What works for one person may not work for another due to connected equipment, HDMI chipsets at the source/sink end, cable installation, etc. Take the mfr product descriptions with a grain of salt. Even certified cables are not 100% guaranteed to work, but they are your best bet.

Hybrid fiber is your best option but they are expensive and as you indicated, you don't want one so copper-only is your choice.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't think that long HDMI runs are worth it. Its hit or miss in terms of reliability, and its going to be outdated eventually when newer resolution technologies come out. Just run a CAT6 cable and get a good extender kit. Much cheaper and future proof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan07 View Post
I don't think that long HDMI runs are worth it. Its hit or miss in terms of reliability, and its going to be outdated eventually when newer resolution technologies come out. Just run a CAT6 cable and get a good extender kit. Much cheaper and future proof

The ONLY say to future proof is to use a conduit for long, in-wall runs. Even running solid copper core CAT-6a (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable will have issues if you terminate with HDBT because the chipsets used are behind the time. There are supposed to be new Valens chipsets coming to market (announced over a year ago) that offer uncompressed data but they haven't seen the light of day yet. Video standards will always outpace connection standards so the connection technology will always lag behind, and CAT-6 with an extender probably won't cut it. The most reliable connection, for long runs, is a single cable, source to sink, with no extenders, adapters, wall plates, etc in-between.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page